So how do I start benching?

So how do I start benching?

I have been hitting the gym for a while now but I keep being afraid of using the bench without a spotter, nor do I know what weight I can bench.

So what do I do Jow Forums ?
Do I just try to bench alone? How do I make sure I don't get choked out if im too weak?

Attached: 6e70b484c64f6ccf5a6f1fff4d9196cfdde480edbb844cb450e73edb33acf0da.jpg (1500x1131, 279K)

start with the bar, do 5 reps, add 5 lbs to each side every time you complete 5 reps, stop when your bar speed slows down.
record that weight, that will be your working weight next time.

don't; do dips. No spotter needed, can safely jump out mid failure, won't fuck up your shoulders, not an ego lift, encourages you to stay lean, dip station is always available because of the fuckbois and bloatards are on the bench

I fucking hate that actor in the middle. Also, this show sucks a big bag of donkey dicks

I respect your right to be wrong

dips can fuck your shoulder way more easily than a bench press.

This has to be a troll

YMMV, but I’d always advise newbies to give the movement a try.

I used to be afraid of the bench press too, I wish I hadn't neglected it for so long. I don't lift with a spotter either, so what I do is I warmup with just the bar but I put the safeties to just below my chest, so if I breathe out or reduce the arch in my low back the bar will hit them. I once was about to fail a rep and someone had to help me lol, so ever since then I'd rather get pinned and wiggle out than to have people run across the gym to save my ass

do BOTH bench and dips. Do incline too.

Had this fear when i started too but it went away after i realized that the weight you'll be at won't harm you in any way. Keep in mind that anyone who has an impressive physique benches, everybody does.

Also, don't listen to people who tells you to exclusively dip - they're dyels, 100%. Anyways, i've been stuck 2 times before and i didn't use clips so i could just flip the weight or go under it. The bench is less dangerous than you think. People in the gym will most likely help you out if it happens, but ask for a spotter if you're moving up in weight fast. Make sure the form is correct.

Recent seasons haven't been as good, but you're objectively wrong, fren

use power racks and bench if you dont have a spotter
this, but dips can fuck up your shoudlers/sternum if not careful
also OHP, but ohp wont be the best assistance for bench

best combo for you would be dips (stay upright, chest out, wrist/arms horiztonal, dont go below parallel) and ohp

>lost 30 lbs
>currently look exactly like Dennis
How to fix once I hit 40 lb weight loss goal? Extremely slow +100 calories over maintenance?

'don't bench press it's too dangerous'
holy fuck bro come on

>not an ego lift

whatever you say boomer
every lift for me is a god damn ego lift
you think I'm training for anyone but me?

Attached: 7808867504cb922eac6723b63f59face8a13cf3b.jpg (300x300, 21K)

I do it at home, and have no one to spot. I used to just do dumbbell bench but i maxxed out quickly.

If you're doing it alone, dont put any spring collars on, that way if you fail you just quickly tilt the bar to the side left and right and the weights fall off/you don't decapitate yourself or crush your lungs

As others have said start slow, make sure you can dominate the weight you bench aka no heavy triples, doubles or singles until your experience is higher AND avoid false grip

Dips hurt my sternum. I still do them, but just as an accessory to bench and incline dumbbell press.

holy shit someone actually read the book

Attached: 1549510949108.jpg (808x1077, 285K)

If you havent really benched before, in that case you want to start at lower weights ofcourse. This also allows you to do the roll of shame if you get stuck under.

Dumbbell floor press

Underrated

After a big cut and learning what lifts you like/ what makes you grow just do steroids

But bro I’m not a DYEL

Attached: E2C454E8-5416-44E9-BE9A-71D27E92E4C1.jpg (634x858, 97K)

Taking the bait, chest by dips

Attached: 950B721D-F4D6-4034-A3B7-C4668FD98E22.jpg (1536x2048, 569K)

How do you have your wrists/grip when benching? I had to stop last time due to wrist pain, changed position and got thumb joint pain instead

Jabroni

homophobe