This is something ive been wondering about a long time. 6ish rep ranges are better fro strength, 12ish for hypertrophy...

This is something ive been wondering about a long time. 6ish rep ranges are better fro strength, 12ish for hypertrophy, we all know that. But in the end, the thing that trumps everything is progressive overload. Someone training 6 reps who keeps making progress will soon have more hypertrophy than the bodybuilder who always does the same weight.

Now consider this. Training in the strengthish rep ranges allows you to make progress much faster, because you simply become stronger. This is also an undeniable fact. So could it be that maybe.., just maybe, developing some kind of routine that is somewhat more focused around strength could in the long term be usefull? Or maybe a combination? Lets say, you start at a weight where you can do 6 reps, do 1 rep more each week untill you reach 12 reps, then go up in weight? That way you will still train a lot in the hypertrophy range, while also making progress a lot faster.

Thoughts?

Attached: 1407531769264.jpg (640x627, 175K)

bump

I do reps until muscle failure on every machine in the gym the fuck you talking bout 12 reps

I dont personally go above 8 reps however nothing is set in stone. I do strength pyramids and sets of 3/2/1 when doing compounds currently and pair that with 6-8 rep range accessory work at all ROMs and supinated/pronated angles

I find 3-6 best for strength and 15-20 best for pumps.

Whatever you do don't do 6 reps

I appreciate you guys randomly saying whatever you like to do, but that doesnt exactly contribute to my question on a theoretical level.

Progressive overload isn't the only way to gain muscle. There's something called metabolic stress, which is a product of a "pump", which also causes hypertrophy.

Well you should take into account the muscle fibre types for various muscles. The Triceps for example are 2/3s composed of the type that responds better to higher weight, lower reps whereas the Calves are composed more of the other type, so lower weight higher reps. So as a general rule lower reps for strength more for hypertrophy is right but there is a bit more to it than just that.

I do the same thing, but turn my 3RM into a 20RM. It takes a long time but it feels much more refreshing than staying at a same RM for weeks.

I suppose it's some sort of prioritization, a strength block of a few weeks while my 3RM turns into a 4, 5, 6 RM. Then a functional hypertrophy block of 7-12RM, then vomit inducing hypertrophy block of 13-20RM.

Then find my new 3RM and repeat.

Is fun.

Did you know that igers are %70 pure fucking muscle? Look at those triceps that masculine look on it's fucking face ready to kill anything and everything. This is what I aspire to be you guys. To be the tiger of my own image.

>Is fun.
Thats a pretty good argument as well. Varying in rep ranges always makes things more interesting to me. Especially in the way like suggested where you keep being abled to do more reps with the same weight, and then after a while suddenly having a much stronger xRM.

70%? Where do you get that number?

Based and catpilled

Attached: imageproxy (5).jpg (1023x541, 89K)

>t.actual retard
If you genuinely go to failure on every exercise you’re overtraining yourself and render yourself useless for future trainings. If your goal is to make progress at an incredibly slow pace then ok you are doing it right

You have to train hard to build muscle.
Jeff said, if you don't go to failure you are wasting your set. Look up his video "3sets of 12 are killing you gains"

A tiger has 72.6% muscle mass and a lion has 58.8% muscle mass. A tiger also has 7.7% body fat while a lion has almost double at 13.7%.

Welcome to Jow Forums

Training to failure every set on heavy compounds is a mistake. Isolations, knock yourself out.

Strength training is lifting more weight. Bodybuilding is putting tension on the muscle, in bodybuilding the weight is a tool to put tension on the muscles not the goal. You can increase tension without increasing weight by using more controlled movements and focusing on the mind muscle connection. I do PPLPPL with the first set being strengh days then the second set being hypertrophy

>But in the end, the thing that trumps everything is progressive overload.
Not everyone agrees with that. People like Mike Israetel say that its all about volume, doing more volume in the 65-80% range of intensity leads to more hypertrophy then adding weight to your 1RM or even 5RM.

(((Israetel)))

what's important is volume.
for somebody who only wants to go to the gym 3x a week they can go to failure more often because they have more time for recovery.
somebody who wants to go to the gym daily needs to spread out his volume over the week and can't go to failure as often.

Nice one! haha

On heavy compounds I do only the last one to failure. I mean, it is last my set so why should I not go to failure.

Tigers have always been cooler than lions.

I'm gonna be honest with you user, it's cute that you're thinking like this but what you're saying isn't exactly new.
Also strength adaptations seem to be more reliant on total number of reps and weight rather than reps in a set, and hypertrophic adaptations don't go away below 12 reps ( a rep range of ~6-12 going to and often beyond failure either through partials/forced reps/dc style rest pause/drop sets/iso holds is the bread and butter of most successful bodybuilders.
Since I know you're going to ask for a source while providing none of your own google this
"The Mechanisms of Muscle Hypertrophy and Their Application to Resistance Training"

Alternate, dumbass

This is what I do lately. On my arms/accessories day I'll grab a 15kg pair of dumbbells and do hammer curls until failure. Or I'll do sets of 50. It's really fun

Just train so hard that your muscles ache. Muscle aching is literally muscle growing. Do it however you want, but i find its best to do 12reps to fatigue

The funny thing is progresive overload isnt exclusively what makes you stronger. My method of training has no progressive overload. I repeat my workout until i feel i can add weight. I know...mind blowing

Dont sweat progress and your pace. Dont worry about comparing yourself to others. Just lift consistently for years to come doing whatever you find fun and for the most part you will achieve your goals depending on how driven you are.

I do reps with heavy weight (say 12) until muscle exaust, pretty like Then I do reps with lower weight (say 8) until muscle exaust
Repeat the procces (maybe two more times) reducing some weight until you can't do more

This gives you hypertrophy and strength, but you definitely can't train the muscle again that week
Another alternative is to do some reps all the week but one day, that day train it normally
Lets say 4 reps of weight 6 all week but the day in which you use all machines/exercises

The muscles needs for rest lowers the more you have been trainning them, at least that's my experience

Yes, ive also thought about this when choosing my rep range. I chose to start with 5x5, where the last rep feels about 80-90% of my max, and then build it up to 5x10, add more weight till rep range falls to 5 and build up again. Cant say I chose this based on any research other than what natually made sense after reading about rep range for hypertrophy and strength, my goal is 1/2/3/4 but for 10 reps.

>Training in the strengthish rep ranges allows you to make progress much faster, because you simply become stronger. This is also an undeniable fact.
Not really. Maybe it depends on the person but I have never noticed low reps to make any difference over high reps. These days I just train high reps because it aids in hypertrophy and it's less likely to injure you.
> Lets say, you start at a weight where you can do 6 reps, do 1 rep more each week untill you reach 12 reps, then go up in weight?
This scheme works fine, although I would never start it at a weight heavy enough for a single. I start with at least 3x5.

What do you guys think?

It's good. You're basically doing a simplified form of periodization, where you do the best you can for that day, but don't necessarily have to reach any particular number. (Assuming that you're not forcing yourself to make the PR even when you're having a bad day - that's usually a bad idea).
This is way better than linear progression because everyone has good and bad days, and the only thing that matters in the long-term is that you do the most work possible on any particular day.

OP ITS LITERALLY THIS SIMPLE

Lift six days a week, twice for each muscle group. First three days train strength, last three days train hypertrophy.

Aim for strength and hypertrophic PRs. When you start hitting what you were previously hitting for strength reps at the hypertrophy range, myofibrillar hypertrophy is gonna go through the roof.

I.e. your fast twitch muscle fibers are gonna fucking explode. Trust me, I do this and I’m yoked.

Attached: 2221B75A-FF2D-4B9E-97B5-DB4C0EC560F7.jpg (541x960, 65K)

All of these posts are on the fucking money

Attached: 31C4BE33-9C1A-4342-B571-D5392B61CC3D.jpg (650x385, 32K)

cus they are all made by (YOU)

That's fine. I said "every set" to failure would be a mistake. Finishing with an AMRAP is perfectly good.