/owg/ Olympic weightlifting general

Hang snatch : Edition

Attached: A0BF836A-DC68-4A53-9F44-1F8455048A39.jpg (1122x894, 113K)

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=LoJq6ROvYHM
youtube.com/watch?v=200qpRrwDaU
youtube.com/watch?v=Bj-gyl-e4y0
yashathoughts.com/cleans-with-straps/
youtube.com/watch?v=lKb0OETP-p0
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

Lol @ Alan
>doing meme stretches
>back squat jerks
>read that bio

Fucking lol, how much did that coach pay him to promote the gym?

Attached: 6C5FCA43-5FED-44B7-94FE-C6137FFC69AE.jpg (1125x2135, 1.01M)

How meme are these? I cringed at the the pushpress, power jerk, btj complex

Attached: 7981EEC0-E565-4999-A123-6AD5ACA7546C.jpg (1125x829, 556K)

I got a tingling pain in the front of my right shoulder when doing weighted push ups, and a sharp pain in the same shoulder when doing dips. Does anyone have any experience with these problems?

Both my snatch and c&j feel really good rn, so i have no idea whats causing this.

You might be going unnecessarily deep
You might be moving too dynamically
You’re a gde who can’t do push-ups or
Dips

Jk go slower on progressing bodyweight movements l

How do I get better at sliding under the jerk, instead of exploding the bar up?

OW

Thanks, will look into it

I got a meet on saturday, and really wanna compete in 81kg.

Currently i weigh in at 81.6 kg, does anyone have any tips to drop the last 0,5 kilo?

I looked at clarence, klokov and lu and noticed these guys have relatively underdeveloped arms
So is having big bodybuilder arms a problem in weightlifting?
I have good arm genetics and would like to improve upon them but not if it will be a hindrance on my oly lifts in the future

I really want to start olympic weightlifting but those moves are just so daunting and I feel like I'll be setting myself up for failure by training with wrong technique.

Diuretics, user. Green tea is a good example. Go to your local pharmacy and see if there are any pills or so which are made for it.

Dry fast, bath with salt water and using Coffee as a diuretic. After weighing in have snacks and isotonic drinks to restore energy and electrolytes. How much time do you have between weighing in and competing?

Biceps are cool, but they’re a uncessary nuisance for having a solid rack position. That’s being said I still work my upper body I just don’t do much isolation. Might start when I go back on my cut tho.

Attached: B56F8673-3944-4CF6-B61D-B442FEA3D2D3.jpg (1125x1950, 418K)

Start by looking up some tests to check if you got the mobilty to do the lifts. If you dont have the mobilty, start working on it.

And for real, find a weightlifting gym or club. It really helps alot to have someone who know what they are doing learn you the basics!

Around 2 hours

Tests? Mobility is probably trash as I can't even do front squats properly - my wrists feel absolutely awful and give out way before legs.

And I really wish I could, but I live in such a small town that there just aren't any around.

Attached: hassle.jpg (175x176, 17K)

wtf I front squatted 2*105 on tuesday but 85 clean felt heavy af today

Quinn henoch

Geee almost as if you have to recover from training

you might just be tired, no? there are many factors outside of training that can impact your training.

Attached: Brazil_Lowry1.jpg (650x350, 19K)

Steam bath, chewing gum, rubbing ass cheeks, car heater on max when driving around, etc.

Their arms aren't underdeveloped by any means, if anything, most bodybuilders and gym bros overdevelop their arms.

new PR on clean but my C&J stayed the same. Sad

Why clean the weight if you can't jerk it?

Shouldn’t your jerk be higher than your clean?

If you have short arms, yes.

MY

S-stop bullying me Kono's training partner

>He knows

Kino

i cant get shit done this week
youtube.com/watch?v=LoJq6ROvYHM
youtube.com/watch?v=200qpRrwDaU

ANUS

Who from the Instagram
Group posts here ?

i dont know

Why are all Western olympic lifters so fucking weak?

Every club I've been to, everyone is just weak. They think they'll get some insane numbers with their fucking 150 kg squat and that it's all "technique, bro".

What the fuck?

I stopped Olympic lifting a few years ago, and stopped lifting for like the last two years. Just been at it again for the last 4 months.

I'm still interested in Oly, but no way am I going back to it until I'm literally strong as fucking fuck. I'm going for a 300 kg deadlift right now. My old Oly buddies are laughing at me, telling me that a 300 kg deadlift won't lead to a killer clean once I make the switch back.

What? The pull is literally the same fucking motion. How can they seriously believe that garbage?

Not going back until 100 kg OHP/270 kg squat/300 kg deadlift.

Instagram group? That's a thing?

That's a clean deadlift, right? Otherwise the pulling motion is not the same at all. Weightlifting requires speed. If person A can deadlift 200 fast and struggles with 250 and person B does 200/250/300 at the same slow speed then person A will be able to clean more weight regardless of their deadlift max.

Yes, being strong is a must, it prevents injury and helps the lifts tremendously. Technique should be good enough to prevent injury. Squatting more weight is necessary as soon as the lifts stall. Push pressing has huge carryover to jerks, strict pressing is good for shoulder girdle strength and health and most people press too little.

I'm just gonna end my rant here.

what are you at

> That's a clean deadlift, right? Otherwise the pulling motion is not the same at all.

Tommy Kono and Mark Rippetoe (heh, spare me your laughter) both teach the clean as a deadlift with a jump at the end. Many lifters also lift in this fashion (Pyrros Dimas comes to mind).

Switching to this style from the meme shit my Oly coach taught me with my hips low and shit instantly lead to better results and the bar staying close as fuck.

> then person A will be able to clean more weight regardless of their deadlift max.

Yeah, but this is innate genetic ability, i.e. explosiveness. Can't hardly be trained. Both persons are still better off deadlifting more, regardless of their genetics.

Plus I also do power cleans/cleans anyway.

> strict pressing

AND it's also good for jerking. I don't know why people literally think a big press won't lead to a bigger jerk. If you can press 120 kg, your jerk WILL IMPROVE if you were previously pressing only 90 kg.

Was in the US when I did oly, now in Northern Europe. Everyone still weak here too.

i mean where are you in relation to your goals

198 kg x 5 squat, 219 kg x 5 deadlift, 71 kg x 5 press, all done this week.

Still linear on all lifts. 2kg+/week on squat, 2.5kg+/week on diddy, 1kg+/week on press.

I can definitely stay linear until at the very least 220 kg x 5 squat, 250 kg x 5 deadlift, and 85 kg x 5 press or so, but I think my LP will actually extend beyond that.

(Previously done 210 kg x 5 squat before my break (on LP), brother has done 250 kg x 5 diddy on linear progression. 85kg x 5 press is just not that heavy.)

it sounds like you can do what youre aiming to do. This will not help your weightlifting very much though

>This will not help your weightlifting very much though

I don't believe you. :)

But we'll see. I have a general interest in just getting strong anyway. I'll never be a competitive weightlifter, I'm too old and started far too late. I just want to be strong as fuck and the Olympic lifts just hold my fancy.

I'd like a 180 kg clean + jerk before I'm too old, though. The clean will be no problemo, I think I can get that within 6-7 months. Jerk's gonna be a bitch, we'll see!

Want to join in?

Commie can you readdd me?

Specificity is key, you would be better off working on a heavy fucking snatch grip rdl or even pause snatch deadlifts. Why snatch ? Because it’s the hardest pulling position.

>mark rippletoe

He had no noteworthy athletes who have done Olympic weightlifting

>tommy faggo
>”pull with high hips that’s what I use to do”

Respect to the guy, but tons of athletes and decades of changes to the sport leave his advice dull.

i can speak from experience. look at girth brooks too, good example for this

>
He had no noteworthy athletes who have done Olympic weightlifting

He had a team for a while, but I really don't buy the "only listen to coaches who coaches successful athletes" argument. Rippetoe's arguments are based on anatomy and physics, and are therefore convincing to me.

Tons of very successful lifters do all sorts of stupid shit.

Well, either way, as I said. I want to be strong as fuck regardless. Strength is not a means to an end for me, it's literally the object. Olympic lifting is just something I also enjoy. So I do both. :)

If it happens that being strong as fuark works in my favor in regards to oly, lucky me.

rippetoe paints a pretty picture about how big his brain is before telling you that he's a good weightlifting coach and you believe him because of his huge physics brain.
also you just attacked a straw man, he said that rip has produced no good weightlifters, not that he wasnt a successful weightlifter.
you are golden then

I’m not saying strength training is bad, I fucking blew off going to the only Olympic weightlifting gym in town because the head coach wanted me to do his meme program that’s all high volume bullshit, and his athletes preach technique over strength as you have described before. If you have a 250kg snatch deadlift with sound technique, you can most definitely do a 300kg deadlift.

Based

> If you have a 250kg snatch deadlift with sound technique, you can most definitely do a 300kg deadlift.

Yeah, sure. But if you have a 300 kg deadlift, a 250 kg snatch deadlift isn't far away most likely, if you can't already do it.

The point is the same: oly benefits from extreme strength, whether that's expressed through a 250 kg snatch DL or a 300 kg conventional one.

It would take you much longer to get a 250kg snatch deadlift from a 300kg deadlift, garenteeed.

Cringe

Attached: D409F27E-C7E7-4160-8F3F-EFB3B38D4A1A.jpg (1125x1499, 523K)

AND

TITES

I push pressed 95kgs yesterday, my split jerk PR is 104kgs. Should I kill myself? Pic related, clean and jerking 100kgs at 83kgs. Had to use straps because I cut my hand cooking like a retard.

Attached: IMG_1842.TRIM.webm (720x1280, 2.51M)

Damn dude, that catch on the clean looked pretty spooky. I have never lifted with straps before though... is that why you caught it the way you did or was it all accidental?

Cleaning with straps is absolute brainlet territory. He's gonna be the next Zach Krych:

youtube.com/watch?v=Bj-gyl-e4y0

You can clean with straps if you're not retarded

yashathoughts.com/cleans-with-straps/

I don't normally catch that low down my clavicles, that was just a one time thing

kek I used to lift with Yasha

Haha holy FUCK. thanks for posting this, i will never use those things

And the argument that Yasha provides is basically "fight your instincts if you fall". Gonna go ahead and say fuck that and not clean with straps.

You push the bar too forwards with your shins at the start and it keeps rolling away as you pull. You aren't as upright as you should be, making the pull reliant on posterior chain without much quads help. Your heel comes off the ground before the bar makes thigh contact. You push your chest to the bar instead of pulling yourself under it, which is why you catch it elbows low.

You don't use your abs in the jerk catch to compensate for your lack of shoulder mobility. That and the enormous step you take forward is what shifts the weight in front of you.

Unnecessary but its possible to have while still maintaining good front rack position right?

can this thread last overnight

Well I mean I doubt as a natural you can get your biceps and chest too big for weightlifting. Just don’t over do it.

Pull-ups 3-5xmax
Dynamic Rows 2-3x10-15
High Incline bench 2-3x10-15
Dynamic pushups 3-5max

What I do

Yeh I gotchu

OW

>18 posters owg
>43 poster plg

What’s it meanv

Holy fucking shit Icarus is informative.

MY

But what if i wanna roid in the future
Or should i just switch to powerlifting if i wanna lift heavy weights AND have big arms?

I’m not the boss of you

BACK

OF

KNEES

Bump with dead eye waifu

Attached: 42DA59AB-37D9-457D-AA4D-E53881F544F3.jpg (720x892, 150K)

Propably, weightlifting isnt about huge muscles or lifting the most plates on a bar at all costs

Witness

Attached: 5E18526C-E281-4E9A-B835-D2C2B87102BA.jpg (1600x1200, 297K)

Yeah could be. But this has been the case for a while now. Then again all of my heavy c&j sessions are in the middle of the week

The "high hips" are relative to your anatomy and don't work without the arched back. Also, they're at parallel, it's a very strong pulling position with relaxed shoulders and arched back.

You will not make it

I would say thats not band at all for a beginner of your Bodywheight just startet learning the clean and jerk a few weeks ago so i have something i can improve on while dieting. I would say i have a pretty good base of strength exept my frontsquat sucks and went from 90-105KG clean and jerk fairly easy but i have the same problem as you i touch the bar way too low on my thight and do not fully extend its mainly because i would hit my balls if i would anyone has some tips how to avoid this?
Also Formcheck pls
youtube.com/watch?v=lKb0OETP-p0

THats so fucking sad.
I want to have xboxhueg arms but i abhors the low bar squat and sumo deadlifts

>implying the clean is a deadlift with a jump at the end
Those oly buddies of yours will be much better than you, even if they are "weaker".
The clean pull has one objective: to facilitate the jump. That's why in the clean pull you don't end as in the deadlift. You end in the power position, ready to jump, pic related.
Your technique is rubbish and you will accomplish nothing in weightlifting by being a powerlifter. Powerlifters can't do oly. You may be strong, but you will have zero technique and zero explosiveness and zero speed.

Now tell me, how many Olympic athletes has Ripp had? How many of them got medals in the Olympics? None. He doesn't know jack shit about oly.
How many has the russians, the chinese, the armenians, the georgians, the greeks, etc?

Forgot pic

Attached: Power-positions-for-the-clean-pull-from-the-knee-left-and-snatch-pull-from-the-knee.png (850x421, 476K)

How do I get better? Is there a Starting Strength for Olympic lifting?

Get a coach man. This is an Olympic sport, not something you can do by yourself in a commercial gym
Good luck

How much roids are you on?

Lol I'm never gonna be strong enough to make it worth getting a coach. I just enjoy the athleticism.

You are not squatting 198 x 5 of a LP program. Unless it's lbs.
Stop lying faggot.
Post video of your lifts.

>"yOu CaN'T lEArN ThIS oN yOuR oWn"

Fuck off, gatekeeper.

hows your deadlift going

Attached: vanev200jerk_lg.png (351x475, 123K)

Yeah, my arms are on the longer side (proportionally to my height). It's a bitch to go under for the jerk.

Tried to jerk it but failed.

Will I ever be able to get enaugh mobility to perform a good overhead squat? I have very long limbs, short torao and i am quite tall at 195cm. I have a 105/160/230/280 ohp/bp/sq/dl. I tried to do some olympic lifts but I for the life of me can not get a comfrontable overhead squat position. Been trying for months now with mobility work but I feel hopless because of my levereages

Forgot to add i weight 115kg and lifts in kg

Bump

could take a year to get decent flexibility. dont squat jerk.