How much pulling have you done this week?

Are you meeting your 3:1 pull/push ratio, Jow Forums?

Attached: basedbackday.jpg (1024x552, 102K)

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=MiRAi2KOfRQ
bretcontreras.com/topic-of-the-week-4-pushing-and-pulling-ratios/
t-nation.com/training/tip-pull-before-you-push-and-pull-more-often
academic.oup.com/jn/article/128/10/1716/4723080
researchgate.net/publication/236207922_Upper_body_push_and_pull_strength_ratio_in_recreationally_active_adults
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

fug
I thought it was a 1:1 ratio

i pull at least twice a night

1 : 4 for the manly caveman body

At least 2:1 is recommended for even physique development and preventing shoulder issues resulting from excess internal rotation.

but I do full body, routine is something like squat or diddly, bench or ohp, 2 pulls and another push
do I need to find 2 more pulls to do?

Throw some face pull in before you start your main work for that day or do them as assistance. They don't need to be super taxing exercises - just up the frequency of your auxiliary pulling movements.

currently do left
is switching to right going to be too many exercises?

Attached: routine.png (407x215, 7K)

Try supersetting a different bicep exercise with face pulls - it will allow you to finish the workout in about the same amount of time while getting a little more pulling volume in. Maybe add a set or two to your pulling work and that should be sufficient for reaching that ideal ratio. E.g. you bench 5x5 and tricep push 3x10 = 55 reps. If you do 3x8 pullup, 4x12 row, and 3x15 facepull, that's 117 reps which is a little over 2x more pull reps than push reps. Hope that makes sense.

fuck I don't know why my brain didn't process the amount of reps being relevant, thanks fren

That's fucking retarded. Why would your back respond half as well to resistance training as your chest and other push muscles? What level of broscience is this shit? Is this the meme of the week like /onion/?

Attached: 1324787276617.jpg (715x560, 72K)

*chest and other pull

The back has considerably more sophisticated musculature than the chest and triceps (shoulder is arguably different but that's exactly why hitting that pull:push ratio is fucking relevant, since there's an often neglected posterior head of the deltoid). It's also the most affected by most habits of modern living (sitting in kyphosis, slouched posture when standing, looking at screens all day). Hitting more pulling than pushing movements helps resolve this on top of imbalances that come from doing normal gymbro routines that emphasize pushing over pulling, and it's most time and recovery effective to do this over multiple workouts. It's not just an intensity factor, either - it's a volume factor which results from both the anatomy and practicality of back training.

Is T Bar Row a good back exercise?

What is a good rep range and weight? Atm, I do 5 sets of 2 3pl8, and 3 sets of 3pl8 plus a 35 pl8. Reps are around 10 to 12.

Any back exercise is good that you can feel. Getting a good contraction on a back exercise matters almost more than loading does. If you're having issues feeling your back on any exercise, drop the fucking weight and hold the contraction for 1-2 seconds. If you haven't felt your back muscles work before, you'll be amazed at how you feel after a few hard sets.
But yeah, T-bars are fucking awesome. The neutral grip hits the lats nice and hard, while the pronated grip is a good upper back/trap killer.

1. what if I have always matched my push/pull volume and directions 1:1? For example every bench day I have done equivalent BB row, every OHP day I have equivalent pullups.

2. what study, scholarly article, exercise science textbook, anything shows this besides broscience.com?

youtube.com/watch?v=MiRAi2KOfRQ

I definitely feel it in my back (The technique I've learned to really hit your back is to bull with your elbows. As if, while holding the weight, you are trying to put your hands behind your back).

I've been seeing some pretty great back developments.

THAT'S YOUR SOURCE? ATHLEAN? HOLY FUCK DUDE LOL.

when doing supersets am I supposed to rest?
like curl, face pull, rest, curl...
or do I just keep going back and forth

Unless you have perfect postural habits outside the gym, more than 1:1 will help with overall health on top of performance and physique development.

I can't point you to specific academic literature, but it seems to be a consensus among people who are very familiar with the literature that something close to 2:1 is an ideal ratio.
bretcontreras.com/topic-of-the-week-4-pushing-and-pulling-ratios/
t-nation.com/training/tip-pull-before-you-push-and-pull-more-often

Kek based Jeff but I'm op and I didn't post that. I made another post -

Yeah, do what you described. Curl, immediately into facepull, rest, repeat.

Fuck yeah dude, keep it up.

See that's my problem. You got a 3 paragraph t-nation article and a blogpost. These are the same kind of "sources" of broscience that thought lactic acid caused DOMS and eating raw eggs wasn't fucking retarded before they figured out what bioavailability was, etc.

I appreciate you trying to make user aware of needing to be balanced when it comes to push/pull groups. Your ratios are being pulled out of someone else's ass, and you have no reliable sources. I'm calling bullshit.

If you were to say "oh user eating raw eggs is retarded you absorb less protein that way" and I called bullshit and you linked a source like this: academic.oup.com/jn/article/128/10/1716/4723080
I would go "oh wow I was wrong user, what a well put together study". But all you got is fuckin t-nation and a blogpost. T-nation is fuckin cosmo for dudes. Come on man.

Imagine getting this butthurt because some Harvard nerds haven't quantified that having a strong back is more important than muh bench

Imagine being so stupid you trust everything room temperature IQ meatheads that die at 45 say when it comes to matters of fitness

Imagine getting so fucking hung up on numbers that you get into an argument over a basic programming principle. The ratio is an approximation but the main fucking rule stil applies.

lol a basic programming principle with 0 backing except anecdotal, and they can't even agree on the ratios. take your 1980s broscience to a crossfit blog so they can eat it up.
>hurr durr train disproportionately for proportionality
nice basic training principle you colossal retard

researchgate.net/publication/236207922_Upper_body_push_and_pull_strength_ratio_in_recreationally_active_adults
Most people are stronger pushing than pulling. Most people are likely pushing more both volume wise and tonnage wise than pulling in the gym. Pulling with moderately more volume can offset this discrepancy for most people.
I suppose this is likely different for gymnasts or other athletes at a decently competitive to high level, but what problems can come from just doing a few more rows or rear delt exercises than you already fucking do??

T bar rows are excellent. Barbell rows are excellent. Pendlay rows are excellent. Yates rows are excellent. Seal rows are excellent.

I usually superset pushing/pulling exercises - except T1 lifts:
Leg press/leg curl
Rope pushdown/hammer curl
Dip/chin up
OHP/barbell row
Incline bench/db row
Pec fly/facepull

Ultimately 3 to 1 is ridiculous because you would have to do a pull rest pull rest pull push pull rest pull rest program and clearly that isn't optimal.

Anything that's slightly more than 1 to 1 is fine ie appreciate you just do slightly more reps or sets on your pull day or warm up with some extra pull sets on a push day.

Don't over complicate it.

3:1
Oh no no no

Yup, I work back way more than chest to avoid fucking up my shoulders. Big tiddies are nice but fuck looking like a meathead with just tits lol