Is it the best martial art?

Is it the best martial art?
>least brain damage, can actively train and roll hard daily for years with essentially no risk of CTE
>so large and complex that one could learn and improve for a lifetime without mastering everything
>most effectively compensates for size and strength differences
>allows complete control over the level of damage you inflict on your opponent in any physical altercation
>proven most effective one on one against other martial arts
>healthy serious adult training community from hobbyist to professional
>hyper machismo yet chill brazilian culture

Attached: 800px-roberto_cyborg_abreu_2009_bjj_championships.0.jpg (1200x800, 141K)

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=qeJsDpoViKc
youtube.com/watch?v=4nyVJ8QEFS0
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Catch_wrestling
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

Yes

Most effective in isolation, yes. Still has limitations, you can get your ass kicked by a very good striker with takedown defence, and it causes bad joints down the road.
No brain damage, though. Oh, and by the way...

>hyper machismo yet chill brazilian culture
Is that how you guys see us?

As a sport or a way to get fit, it's dynamic and builds strength, cardio, grip and flexibility quite well. As a form of combat, great way to get your head kicked in by the friend of the lad you're trying to submit.

>As a form of combat, great way to get your head kicked in by the friend of the lad you're trying to submit.
Not untrue, but if we're being fair, fighting against more than one person is a terrible idea, no matter what you're trained into.

Best self-defense is and will always be 800 meter dash.

I thought it was having a bigger gun than the opponent.
Guess you learn something everyday.

You pic related was SHUT DOWN by a professional podcaster at a pure jiu jitsu tournament for 20(!) minutes.
Sorry, b, if y'talmbout the best martial art you need to look into BDE

Attached: xu7c3fzzpyk11.jpg (1080x1920, 226K)

You're hanging around too many türks if every altercation you can imagine is many on one. But yes, there are ways to be less screwed against several guys attacking you at once, and that's one of the holes of bjj. Although it can help you defend the TD and if you DO get dragged down to the ground by letting you get back up before guys kick your head in.

Yes. This 40+ yo boomer still rekts with pure BJJ.

His recent losses were all decisions to current/ex champions or contender

Attached: usa_today_9544279.0.jpg (1200x800, 88K)

Lemme see Maia+Askren double team Lawler+3piece&soda.

It's good as a sport but shit for self defense. Gun Fu is best martial art in that regard, grasshopper.

Bjj isn't useful in a street fight. Boxing is where it's at, and it's way fucking cheaper. You can join a boxing gym and a regular gym for cheaper than a lot of bjj gyms.
any Striker who can sprawl > blow job jitsu

I see you as a bunch of tranny chasing niggers

Maia might be my favorite fighter of all time. The way he can choke out absolute killers without taking or giving a single punch, thus not inflicting or receiving any significant damage, really turns the idea of what a fight, and what violence even is completely on it's head.

Attached: demian_maia_seminar.jpg (300x246, 21K)

Recently switched to nogi and I think I prefer it. I was never a big fan of grips and I like scrambling.
I think judo is better for self defense though (aside from running and not being in that situation in the first place). Most bjj practitioners have shit standup.

It's immensely fun but limited.

t. purple belt

>Is it the best martial art?
this thread again

Best martial arts ranking
1. Judo
2. Rapid fire pistol
3. Boxing
Power gap
99999999: BJJ

Biggest hole of bjj is fighting against anyone with wrestling or real grppling experience or a half decent striker who's seen at least a few mma bouts

That's just our truck drivers.

Lmao wtf are you talking about biggest strength of bjj is against wrestlers who try to go to ground then don’t know any chokes/joint locks or any of the positions for them (aka guard/back control) and get completely overwhelmed.

True. It even became a joke in MMA for a while.
>wrestler fights bjj guy
>wrestler control the fight standing and takes bjj guy down
>bjj guy submits wrestler

Bigger gun doesn’t matter if he dtill manages to pull off a shot. You can argue all day pong about stopping power then some random nigger with a 9mm who barely knows how it works will still manage to pull off three shots after you shoot him, and then you bleed to death.

user, that's never happened.
It's usually just a wrestler fucking up a BJJ guy or a catch wrestler ruining a BJJ guys shit and someone from the gracie camp running over to give them a Blackbelt in BJJ so they can claim a BJJ blackbelt beat them.

Hell a decent wrestler with equal experience will murder a BJJ guy when there are no UFC rules in place.

>wrestlers
>knowing about submissions
Judo not BJJ, but most of the freestyle guys at my uni get choked pretty fast when we crosstrain. They never tuck their neck and they didn’t really get that someone having a hand on the inner elbow and shoulder was going to lead to an armbar. Never had any catch wrestlers though, only freestyle. Good takedowns though

>or a catch wrestler ruining a BJJ guys shit

Name three catch wrestlers who ruin BJJ guys' shit. No Josh Barnett.

>most effectively compensates for size and strength differences

Not necessarily. Do you really think it's that easy to submit someone much stronger, bigger and heavier than you fighting for their life, when you can barely get your arms around them or flip them over? In contrast, one good punch to the jaw will floor any giant; go look up the fight between Inoki and the Great Antonio, where the former just punched and kicked the crap out of the bigger guy rather than wrestle him.

I'll start paying attention when he manages to choke Nurmagomedov, the current King of Stranglers in the UFC.

You need to stop talking about shit you know about purely from memes.
youtube.com/watch?v=qeJsDpoViKc
youtube.com/watch?v=4nyVJ8QEFS0

Attached: severn.png (500x250, 242K)

When they have to play by BJJ rules they do.
But usually BJJ guys just get slammed hard and any attempt to pull guard or get the wrestler into their pace ends with the wrestler pulling back.

Sakuraba
De Santos
Hulk Hogan

Me and my whole crew you pajama wearing ass scooter. For real though it’s a shame catch isn’t bigger than bjj, although I do like knowing and being around this little style that very few practice

Attached: 71FF287C-82E5-4329-A9D5-6737EE24B932.jpg (750x853, 186K)

It's not easy, but there's a reason why mundials and adcc can have an absolute division, yet no one does that in striking. Force will always be on the side of the bigger and stronger guy, and putting the fight on the ground removes alot of the pure force equation from the picture.
There aren't any Ngannous or Wilders in grappling.
>le the ground is covered in spikes and any takedown outside the cage means you simply disintegrate

>it’s a shame catch isn’t bigger than bjj
Why? What the hell is the point of having pins for example? Why do BJJists always win the adcc?

>Sakuraba
Legit, but old now.
>De Santos
I was thinking someone who wasn't born over a century ago and actually had a record.
>Hulk Hogan
Ok.

Look I'm sorry, but catch wrestling is dead. Today it's basically a worse version of nogi bjj.

Attached: udnz6vteknvz.jpg (1200x487, 95K)

user, catch wrestling is still alive and bjj is only big because the gracies are lying cocksuckers and mma is built specifically around shilling bjj to weaklings who want to feel all tough but not get hit.

Seriously.
Also, patch working catch wrestling, and other wrestling techniques onto BJJ and renaming them does not make BJJ a complete or even useful system. It's a toy martial art that only works against completely untrained weaklings and in very very very safe environments.

Even tournament judo is more useful as a martial art.

>Bjj
>Take down
user, if a wrestler takes down a BJJ guy on anything other then a soft mat it's not going to be anything pretty.

If catch wrestling is so good, where are all the successful catch wrestlers? They should be cleaning house at grappling tournaments.

No one does catch wrestling that much user.
It's mostly highschool and college wrestlers who had to take up mma to find places that had real wrestlers and other good grappling schools.
BJJ is just ubiquitous due to marketing and outright lies.

>It's a toy martial art that only works against completely untrained weaklings and in very very very safe environments
Right. That explains it dominating early MMA, when the rules allowed so much retarded insanity that one guy won a fight by hitting the other repeatedly with his broken hand.

Safe.

>No one does catch wrestling that much user.

Right, because it's dead.

>bjj rules
We didn’t play by BJJ rules though, since it’s wrestling/judo cross training. Be kinda dumb to go by BJJ rules. We just went with
>no strikes, but leg takedowns, chokes armbars and pins are allowed
Also wrestling slams aren’t that hard, although my only comparison is judo throws and suplexes so I may have a bias.

Genuinely curious; what are these BJJ 'lies' you're talking about? From my own research, the Gracies built their style out of practical experience; tournament BJJ does have a lot of BS, but the fundamentals are still sound.

Also, soccer kicks. Also, groin attacks. Also, no time limit. Also, no throwing the towel. Also...

>mma is built specifically around shilling bjj
>we're hot shit but we're not tearing up mma because of muh gracies muh rools too lethatl!

>patch working catch wrestling, and other wrestling techniques onto BJJ and renaming them does not make BJJ a complete
>en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Catch_wrestling
>Many of such novel techniques came from cross cultural exchanges with Jujutsu proponents. Almost all moves have their own variations and different predicaments they can be pulled off in.

>all this cope
SAD! Did a bjj player fuck your gf? That's the only rational explanation for all this ridiculous rambling.

user, you do realise BJJ was developed to deal with street-fights amongst other situations, right? Granted, it won't work against a whole mob of thugs, but no martial art really will so that's a moot point.

user
1.UFC is pure Gracie school marketing. Everyone knows it.
The rules are even made specifically so that skill that would show off the weakness of the art are kept out.

2.A Gracie has never beaten a good catch wrestler.

3.They litteraly steal moves from Catch wrestling and the ground game of judo and other grappling martial arts. It's a known thing.

Nothing in my post is a lie. It's a fact.

Again, catch-wrestling got a lot of moves from Jiu-jitsu as well. Cross-pollination is completely natural, and not a sign of 'fraud'.

Also, no shit the Gracies have been beaten; they're not martial gods. But all your rambling has been directed at the founders and not the style itself, which has sound fundamentals.

>steal moves
That's called evolving, user. You can't seriously be suggesting that martial arts shouldn't change, and shouldn't take what's working and discard what's not. That's how you end up with retarded faggotry like most asian martial arts.

>steal moves
lmao @ u

>the ground game of judo
Well steal might not be the best term, since BJJ was founded by a judoka, and what ended up happening was he went to Brazil, but he couldn’t afford to teach under kodokan licensing cause it’s Brazil, so he then created a new sport with the same techniques under a new scoring system. Or he “refined” newaza if you’re feeling pretentious

>1.UFC is pure Gracie school marketing. Everyone knows it.
Early UFC was Gracie favored, sure. What's unfair against catch wresting in the UFC today?

>2.A Gracie has never beaten a good catch wrestler.
Who cares? The Gracies aren't the be all end all of jiu jitsu. How many Gracie vs catch wrestler fights have there been throughout history, like less than 10? It's irrelevant.

>steal moves from Catch wrestling
Lmaoing at "stealing moves", are you 12 years old? It's grappling, if it works it works, nobody owns techniques.

You obviously have a giant chip on your shoulder about bjj.

>BJJ was developed to deal with street-fights
No it wasn't.

It was developed by a guy who didn't have the skill to use Catch wrestling and judo at the same time like his father and uncle wanted.

It's useless in street fights. Hell some dude who tried to use BJJ outside of a club in Brazil was stomped to death recently.
Hell it won't even work on one guy who has a weapon or is significantly larger or will pull a weapon.

THIS. Sanda is arguably the only 'proven' contemporary Chinese martial art, and it's basically Chinese kickboxing with some grappling mixed in. Jeet Kune Do is just proto-MMA, because the style is so open-ended you could shove any kind of moves into it and still call yourself a JKD practitioner. Despite their differences, all martial arts styles can and should be mixed together, because they all share the same fundamentals.

No it's called theft.

No he didn't.
They begged him to teach them Judo.
They sucked at it so they just did the ground game from judo a lot.
Then the guy they stole from was challenged so he went back down to Brazil and raped everythign that moved.

>Early UFC was Gracie favored, sure. What's unfair against catch wresting in the UFC today?
Nothing. Which is why wrestling, sambo, and some catch wrestling dominates it completely.

.A Gracie has never beaten a good catch wrestler.
>Who cares? The Gracies aren't the be all end all of jiu jitsu. How many Gracie vs catch wrestler fights have there been throughout history, like less than 10? It's irrelevant.
You do.
And I'm sure there are many many many catch wrestlers fighting guys who are trained directly under gracies and beating them senselessly.

>>steal moves from Catch wrestling
>Lmaoing at "stealing moves", are you 12 years old? It's grappling, if it works it works, nobody owns techniques.
user, martial artists look unfavorably upon people who steal moves.

>one guy who has a weapon
Name another martial art that can reliably deal with someone with a baseball bat, knife, or even a gun. Pro-tip; you fucking can't, so quit pulling up this unrealistic argument in your anti-BJJ screeds.

>and i'm sure there are many catch wrestlers
>dominates it completely
>opinions opinions opinions

>proto-MMA
MMA isn't a martial art.
It's just a sport.

Jeet Ku Do is take whatever works for you as a person to fight. Not use one of a handful of martial arts that is allowed in a relatively safe sport.

Look up "bjj real fight"on youtube. There is a lot of good street fights where people get choked or armbarred

>Hell it won't even work on one guy who has a weapon or is significantly larger or will pull a weapon.
Holy shit! Do you live in the real world? No martial art is reliably effective against armed attackers, and size difference is always a factor, but ground fighting is EXACTLY where it's mostly minimized.

I meant MMA as the general term for mixed-martial philosophies, not the sport, for lack of a better term. We really need to find a distinction between the two, because you can be a mixed-martial artist without ever entering the MMA scene.

MMA is the closest to a real practical fighting style for anyone needing defense

Boxing, muay thai, wrestling, bjj, and judo all work in real fights

>ulling up this unrealistic argument in your anti-BJJ screeds.
You think someone throwing a chair or bottle or brick at someone doing agressive but scoot is an unrealistic argument?

>No it's called theft.
That's it. I'm not answering anymore, since you're clearly retarded.

I've always been curious as to what the 'optimal' mix of martial arts for all situations would be. It would differ depending on the practitioner, but there has to be a good blend that covers all the best fundamentals of striking and grappling.

A 6foot tall 250 plus pound olympic class russian wrestler was beaten to death by a manlet who knew striking not to long ago.

You think a pure BJJ guy who doesn't even have 1/1000 of that wrestlers tool set or size would fare much better?

No, I'm arguing it's cognitive fucking dissonance to argue BJJ is useless against weapons when you could make the same argument for any other martial art under the Sun. Do you want a prize for stating the obvious?

Really? Post source please, all I can find is one dude getting stabbed

Based tranny brazilian

Source on this story? Also, I'd like to see a boxer who can punch their way out of a headlock or an armbar.

There are martial arts that are litterally designed to deal with weapons and minimize the risk of getting hurt from weapons.

Thinking BJJ is good for street altercations when you have no fucking idea what that other person has or will use or if they have friends is the most insane fucking nonsense I've ever heard. And it's always spouted by white belts who live in safe socieities or shills.

Even Royce Gracie and Bravo say that it's not fucking ideal for street altercations. And let's be honest.

>Also, I'd like to see a boxer who can punch their way out of a headlock or an armbar.

They just wait for the ref to break them up.

Boxing and wrestling with a little bjj and Muay Thai. You wanna have good takedowns, defensive wrestling and striking ability. If you never wrestled, you have to find a bjj school that does takedowns a lot. Or do judo which isn’t as effective in my opinion. We see double and single leg takedowns in Mma much more than in judo. Wrestling, especially Greco Roman, also has many of the same throw and trips as in judo, but they’ve already been adapted to a no gi setting.

Just completed my initial entry training as an army reservist. Getting Jow Forums was grueling and a slog, and I'm still not where I want to be. The only time I had actual, genuine fun was combatives. It was so much fucking fun. I suck at it, but that didn't stop me from enjoying it immensely, and three minutes rolling on a mat made me feel like a drill sergeant had been smoking me for half an hour. I am considering a martial art purely for the fitness. What should I go with? BJJ is looking likely; it's just so available. Though I'd like to find a MMA gym that teaches traditional wrestling. That seems harder to find outside of a high school and tutors aimed at kids. Boxing is said to be the best cardio there is.
Whatcha think, meatheads?

>There are martial arts that are litterally designed to deal with weapons and minimize the risk of getting hurt from weapons.
Oh, really? Like Meme Maga, or Aikimeme?

Even good self defense instructors will tell you that you should run if the other guy is armed. Your training is just as a last resort, it will work less than half the time.

Krav Maga is a joke and I have no idea what akimeme is.

It's called CQC and the fairborn sykes method of fighting.

For fitness, I'd guess striking arts are better. Boxing/kickboxing/MT. Wrestling could be good too, but like you said, it's harder to find a place for adults to train.

Tell that to all the guys with disc problems and popped joints. Tearing tendons and ligaments is common. Don't tap immediately trying to escape can result in permanent damage at high levels. It all depends on the person.

Go for whats near and cheap, and teaches either BJJ, wrestling, judo, boxing, kickboxing or muay thai. Also check that they have people that compete.

All CQC is a old school judo mixed with muay thai elbows and knees, and boxing.

No.
It's some fairly brutal chinese martial arts mixed with oldschool dirt as fuck boots demanded street savat, catch wrestling, some judo, and knife fighting

No seriously.
It's nasty shit.
It's not a sport to train in and practice with other dudes. It's a way to brutally injure and kill people and get out of really bad situations efficiently and quickly.

This troll officially jumped the shark. I'm bored with it. Good day to y'all, gonna get some studying done.

>"see you on da streetz, heh..."

Attached: you.jpg (367x500, 19K)

>i-its too deadly for the dojo, sparring will kill you

The battle cry of the charlatan. Fuck outta here, you have NO business shitting on BJJ or anything else, period. There are flaws in the system, but a brainlet fraud like you wouldn't know or care about actual debates.

BJJ is literally a reddit martial art and if you do it you need to schedule your vasectomy and weekly beard oiling you faggot

They spare with it all of the time. How else did they teach it to soldiers

You think in trolling.

Look, kid. I love Fairbairn. Guy was ahead of his time. But you need to know what he was accomplishing with texts like Get Tough. He was instructing thousands and thousands of soldiers in a relatively short time frame knowing statistically that it would save SOME of them. His effort was well spent in that men would maintain their fighting spirit even in dire circumstances, and his techniques and ideas are actually pretty practical, but trying to fight an armed enemy soldier with a stick, the kraut with the mauser will probably still win. Fairbairn didn't give people magic powers, just a fighting chance.

>rules to make bjj good
>rules at inception of ufc were 1) no eye gouging, and 2 no biting
>that’s literally it
Lmao do no rules favors bjj while you need a specific rule set under which your way can win, but bjj is worse in a no rules street fight? Ok

Ruled weren't introduced to break the dominance of BJJ. It was to make the sport watchable. Turns out two dudes laying on each other with no time limit is actually pretty boring. Boxing went through something similar went they transitioned from bare knuckle to gloves. It wasn't to make it safe; it was to make boxers actually hit each other.

No rules fighting is boring as fuck.

>In the streets
>Get into beef with some dude
>Start fighting
>Drop down dude to the floor
>Fight now proceeds to be in the floor
>"hurr durr now I can use my bjj skills"
>Mates of the dude you are fighting start kicking the shit out of you
>Fractured ribs, broken nose, concussion

If you cant end a fight on your feet you might as well not fight at all. Real life situations are so much different than sparring in a dojo.

Attached: ysyl.jpg (373x767, 44K)

STOP LIKING WHAT I DON'T LIKE

It is and anyone who says otherwise is a literal uneducated homophobe.
>It’s just a bunch of sweaty guys hugging each other! That’s gay!

>In the streets
>Get into beef with some dude
Why?

christ you're cringe, why do you want people to box so badly and are so butt hurt about BJJ.

>he doesn’t live in America where niggers will gang up on you at any opportunity

>two dudes laying on each other doing nothing
>First fight guy gets all his teeth kicked out in first 15 seconds
>teeth literally fall into lap of judges
>nothing ever happens
>guy is wrestler and doesn’t know to tap
>other guy armbars wrestler
>wrestler doesn’t tap
>guy breaks his arm
>still first ufc
And so on and so on. It got changed not because it was boring but because it was so brutal they Couldn’t get it advertised and hosted

You dont choose to fight dude, it just happens. Obviously smart intellectuals like me and you will avoid fighting altogether, but when you are challenge or your life is in danger some situations just require for you to fight. Fighting is one of the most alpha things you can do, depending on the circumstances.

BJJ is an average sport to practice as a hobby. There are better and more useful alternatives, I have friends who have fucked themselves up, mainly their shoulders because of training bjj. bjj is the crossfit of martial arts, its trendy and normies like to do it. Box and muai are based and the most useful, other than that learn how to grapple and thats it, you dont need all the fancy shit bjj teaches

Brazilian BJJ guy was stomped to death...in brazil
By brazilians
Russkie olympic wrestler was stomped...by white russians. The people not the drink.
The ebul nigger menace is a racist canard for limp dicks.

>on da streets
>8 guys start some shit
>flying armbar one of them, instantly killing him
>two flee in terror
>imanari roll into heel hook the remaining 5 in less than 10 seconds
>walk away and fuck their moms later that day
>bjj wins again

wow looks like anything is possible when you LARP a scenario into your favor on the internet