/fast/ - #405 - UPGRADE EDITION

FAQ
/fast/ discord
>discord.gg/dknZqPb
What is /fast/?
>Fast is a thread for the discussion of intermittent fasting, fasting, water fasting, and dry fasting.

What’s the difference between intermittent fasting, water fasting, dry fasting, etc.?
>Intermittent fasting: Fasting for a certain amount of time with a short eating window. 16:8 (16 hours fasting, 8 hour eating window) is the bare minimum.
>Water fasting: Fasting with only water.
>Dry fasting: Fasting with no water. Dangerous, use with caution.

Why should I fast?
>ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC3946160/
>ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/11147801
>reddit.com/r/intermittentfasting/wiki/studies
>idmprogram.com/difference-calorie-restriction-fasting-fasting-27/
>Read all of these, they might answer some other questions you may want to ask.

How do I safely do an extended fast?
>Take snake juice, or just supplement electrolytes.
>Water=2L
>Potassium chloride =1 tsp (No Salt)
>Sodium chloride = 1/2 tsp (Himalayan Pink Salt)
>Sodium Bicarbonate = 1 tsp (Baking Soda)
>Magnesium Sulphate = 1/2 tsp (Food Grade Epsom Salts)
>Mix these in 2L of water and sip it throughout the day.
>[OPTIONAL] 2 tbsp Apple cider vinegar and 4 tbsp lemon juice. DO NOT MIX with snake juice, drink separately.
>You can also do this if you feel lightheaded, weak, dizzy, nauseous, etc., on shorter water fasts. Don’t do this while intermittent fasting.

Won’t I go into starvation mode?
>No. The mainstream definition of starvation mode is a myth. Read the FAQ linked below for more information.

Will (something with calories) break my fast?
>Yes.

Can I drink coffee, tea, and diet soda? Or anything with artificial sweeteners?
>You can do whatever the fuck you want. We recommend avoiding those, sweeteners especially.

Do I need a multivitamin?
>No

Prolonged fast Q&A: fast.fandom.com/wiki/FAST_FAQ

losertown.org/eats/cal.php

Previous:

Attached: 1538145208275.jpg (1920x2560, 259K)

Other urls found in this thread:

ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/3015443
youtu.be/oo3H-YcGzIY
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

>fasting
never gonna make it

i lost 11.5 lbs in 5 days so far eating one big meal in the morning then water fasting (water only, no caffeine) the other 23 hours of the day

i'm hoping i'm getting enough food in that small window, but it's tough because i get very full very quick and it's hard to finish the food, but it keeps me satiated and feeling good all day

today i had an entire giant heaping plate of broccoli, nearly 400 calories (80g protein) worth of tuna steaks and a tangelo, which in hindsight doesn't seem like much... but I felt like I was on the verge of puking.

Thank you to all /fast/ posters. My IF journey to weight loss begins now.

godspeed

good movie, go watch it if you havent

this - could have been more intricate but definitely pleasing to watch from start to end

Why is it recommended to avoid zero cal drinks with artificial sweeteners? In my mind it all goes if it's zero cal (water, black coffee, light coke). I can't see the downside.

What is the downside?

It’s claimed that those drinks may not have calories, but they still produce an insulin response. I used to sip on Gatorade zero all the time but I’m just doing water to see if it mAkes a difference

After seeing that fasting works, I'm trying to bulk up. I can't wait to start fasting again though, I feel bad eating so much. I ate a bunch of chicken, eggs and some potato and I feel I'm eating too much even though I barely broke 1800 calories (and need over 3k for a traditional bulk). 2 more weeks and I begin again.

Attached: file.png (1200x800, 824K)

Hey guys, I eat on workout days so basically Sunday, Tuesday, and Thursday. I was wondering if also going dry in between would be more beneficial than water/snakejuice fasting in between.

Snake juice is too much potassium

I’m on day 5 of snake-juice-only fast and I’m down 16 pounds. It’s good to see you can get 2/3 the results from OMAD, but for me it’s simpler to just keep up with “don’t put fucking anything in your mouth”

At like 66 of 72 hours. I gotta say I'm feeling real weak and achy. I've heard people say 48 hrs was the cliff. What I've experienced around 48 twice is cold sweats.

48-72 is the hardest for me.

Sorry if these questions are obvious and idiotic, but just to make sure as this is all I need before I start:
- Can I use 1/2 tsp common table salt instead of pink salt? (Extremely short on money thanks to uni, really want to save up)
- Am I supposed to only be drinking 2L of snake juice or the recipe is PER 2L of water?

How much snake juice should you drink at least?
So far i‘ve just took a sip when i was thirsty but that only got me to about 500ml a day. Which seems rather low. Am i fucking myself over and need to force more sj down?

Attached: BD4F334B-9A5E-4162-8C91-41A7CCB28026.jpg (3270x2652, 451K)

Says who?

On my first day for a 4 day fast.
Read the Obesity Code over the weekend.
Been down 100 lbs from CICO but I don't want to regain any weight.
Hoping I can incorporate a 4 day every week.

time to check in fatties
>how many hours are you fasted
>how many hours left until you refeed
>how are you feeling

Attached: 6bkhshi0.png (777x437, 625K)

18 hours in, I feel great because I've been skipping breakfast for years, 18 hours is no big deal at all. Aiming for 60 hours, then I will either refeed or keep going depending on how I feel. Longest fast I have done so far is 44 hours.

look at your piss, light yellow means your OK
if its dark or too concentrated (hurts to piss) or you are getting little to no volume (rarely ever pissing), you need more

for me 2 liters is perfect but I can get by with 1 liter, i dont know how you manage on 500ml

93 hours fasted
Refeeding in 627 hours
Pretty damn good, not perfect but I'm not struggling

I try to do 1liter a day at minimum. I don't use snake juice, I use the WHO's ORS solution with sugar removed. It's probably basically the same thing.

1 liter water
1/2 teaspoon lite salt (~2.85g)
1/2 teaspoon sodium citrate (~2.85g)
1/4 teaspoon regular salt (~1.425g)

btw
ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/3015443
"Citrate can effectively replace bicarbonate in oral rehydration salts for cholera and infantile diarrhoea."

>- Am I supposed to only be drinking 2L of snake juice or the recipe is PER 2L of water?
the recipe is per 2l of water

yes you can use regular salt, the only difference is pink salt has some more (trace) minerals which will help on extended fasting, obviously you want to get pink salt at some point but for now just use what you got

did a 120 hour fast and lost 15 lbs, did a dirty af refeed and drank a lot of alcohol and only gained 5 lbs back. now i'm 36 hours into a 96 hour fast (though i'll probably give up at 72 if i'm feeling bad) but haven't lost anymore weight. i'm definitely thinner than i was when i started but i'm still skinnyfat. hopefully by the end of next month i'll have slimmed down to my desired bf%

This will depend on your goal

If you aren't working out, dry fasting is the way to go on those days. To which amount its better than snake juice fasting, it's hard to say. Autophagy is better, and some people find it easier to dry fast than water fast. So if you are battling loose skin, dry fast.

In terms of pure weight loss, you are probably better off snake juice fasting on your "off days" and doing really light workouts like a recumbent bike or even walking if your goal is weight loss. One, two, three hours however much time you have. Low intensity.

>skinnyfat
Stop fasting and bulk up. Muscle will speed up weight loss but if you lose the fat and have no muscle, you'll just be a skeleton

>you'll just be a skeleton
that's my goal

You are gonna feel like shit anytime you refeed like that, just know the scale won't budge until probably 72+ hours UNLESS you get out and do some cardio

Don't pay attention to trolls, trust the process

@50197081
>Stop fasting
We never stop fasting, even when you get lean, you are always doing 24s AT LEAST. Fuck off with that shitty advice

>You are gonna feel like shit anytime you refeed like that, just know the scale won't budge until probably 72+ hours UNLESS you get out and do some cardio
hahaha, the hangover was awful but the good thing was i was sickened by the sight of food for a few hours until the hunger came back! i lied, i actually technically lost 1 lb since the 5 lb refeed, but i did start a couch to 5k routine last night and plan to stick with it.

Should you fast if you got a bad flue?
Wanted to start fasting tomorrow (had to wait for sj ingredients delivery), but yesterday i got really sick.
I‘ve got a bad headache, my joints burn, can barely move, sore throat, dizziness, yadda yadda.
So far i‘m assuming that fasting will help me get better, but i‘m a bit hesitant since it‘ll be my fasting initiation and i might get some serious detoxing going on. Would that be too much on top of being sick?

Attached: 123626F7-7A33-456F-AC70-D3587DE9AD71.jpg (720x799, 58K)

Someone shouldn't go to skinny fat to fat just to avoid being a skelly. Besides, bulking works much better when BF is low - the calories go to the right places instead of just packing on more fat.

>day two of three day fast
My body weight isn't falling as fast as I thought. BUT my belly and my chest are reducing. I'm also feel more stronger.
I have gone to gym and workout fasted. Could my body be freaking out because I worked out in fasted state? Or I'm just retaining water?

gonna try both for a couple of weeks each and see how it goes. Don't really have loose skin and I'm in between 15 and 20%, my workouts are also pretty intense so I'm worried dry fasting might be a bit too extreme while also working out.

So some time ago I did fasting to go from fat to not fat and then I started eating “normally” trying to maximize muscle gain. Going into OMAD on workout date and fasting for 34 to 40 hours on fasting days.

One thing I’m not too sure of is when you fast for like 3-4 days, how hard should you workout to keep the muscles recruited but not cause too much damage as to lose muscle?

Attached: 4DA2A49C-0FD2-4F03-A662-DD99294712D0.jpg (2020x2048, 553K)

Not to fat. To builtfat, then you fast down to ottermode.
>bulking works much better when BF is low
how so? Your muscles being metabolically active is how bulking first helps cut later. Also the test boost. Losing fat will also boost your test indirectly, but how does it help "weight allocation"? That's what exercise is for

I can't give you exact numbers (Cole advises ~70-80% intensity fullbody every day for dry fasts) but as long as you don't tax yourself too hard you'll be fine. Protein breakdown gets minimized when fasted for 48h at least anyway. Just don't do endurance training, that will fuck you up
Joocy shoulders, brah

>108 hours
>until goal weight
>very low on energy

Trying to lose weight to make the cut for army enlistment.

>inb4 polfags

Will doing OMAD and water fasting effect my numbers when I'm doing my workouts? (2mile, push-ups, sit-ups, etc)

I'm an undisciplined heck I'm in agony.

Attached: BBBBBB.jpg (640x484, 60K)

What weight are you at?

Every pound of fat gone will make it easier to workout. That is one pound less of you being held to the ground.

After getting down to 21% bf I stalled for a few weeks just eating whatever while working out so now I'm going to lose 2.5% bf/week (5+ day fasts every week) in time for my vacations in mid may and late June eskettit

FUCK SEX YES BASED SNAKE DIET!!!!

Attached: bigmeme.png (513x223, 15K)

IT ALSO PERPETUATES FOOD ADDICTION, WHICH IS WHAT YOU *REALLY* NEED TO BEAT.

I'M IN THE SAME BOAT. 3 MONTH BULK, 1 WEEK FAST. MY FAST BEGINS TOMORROW NIGHT AND I'M EXCITED.

IT'S ALSO ADJUSTABLE TO YOUR NEEDS.

COULD BE YOUR BODY STILL GETTING USED TO SWITCHING TO KETOSIS AND/OR WITHDRAWALS. DOESN'T GET EASY UNTIL DAY 4 FOR ME.

CAREFUL WITH ADDING TOO MUCH CITRATES, IT CAN THIN YOUR BLOOD AND YOU CAN DIE. THE ONLY REASON WHY COLE DOESN'T GET IN TO CITRATES IS BECAUSE OF THIS.
HALF A TEASPOON SHOULD BE FINE, THOUGH.

Bumping for this.
Should i just start and see how i feel?

YOU CAN STILL BULK ON AN OMAD ROUTINE. IT'S STILL SOLID ADVICE TO TELL HIM TO GAIN SOME MUSCLE.
IF HE WANTED TO, HE COULD WORK SOLELY ON STRENGTH TRAINING TO KEEP A SMALL FRAME BUT BE A STRONG MOTHERFUCKER.
NOT ONLY THAT BUT PACKING ON LEAN MUSCLE INCREASES YOUR TEST, BMR, AND GENERAL HEALTH.

IF YOU'VE NEVER FASTED BEFORE, JUST WAIT UNTIL YOU GET BETTER. IF YOU'VE FASTED BEFORE, DO A 24-48H DRY FAST TO SEE IF THAT HELPS YOUR SYMPTOMS.

DON'T WORRY ABOUT THE NUMBER IF YOUR BELLY AND CHEST ARE REDUCING, YOU'RE ON THE RIGHT TRACK. IT'S WATER RETENTION.

COLE AND OTHERS HAVE GONE FULL STRENGTH ON LONG FASTS WITH SJ, YOU JUST HAVE TO FEEL IT OUT, WHICH IS WHY I TELL PEOPLE TO GO 70% FIRST THEN ADJUST FROM THERE. FEEL LIKE YOU CAN HIT A PR? GO FOR IT.
ALSO, MAKE SURE TO CARB LOAD SO YOU CAN WORKOUT ON THE 3RD OR 4TH DAY. AN IMPROPER SUPPLY OF MUSCLE GLYCOGEN WILL JUST MEAN YOUR PERFORMANCE WILL GO TO SHIT REAL EARLY.

GO LONGER.

>IF YOU'VE NEVER FASTED BEFORE, JUST WAIT UNTIL YOU GET BETTER. IF YOU'VE FASTED BEFORE, DO A 24-48H DRY FAST TO SEE IF THAT HELPS YOUR SYMPTOMS.

I‘ve done the initial 48h, but besides that i haven‘t fasted in years.
I‘m probably going for a light meal OMAD to give my body some rest without risking adding severe detoxing to the mix. I really do already feel like complete shit. I don‘t think i‘ve been that sick in decades.

Thanks for you answer!

is this cole

6'3, 220ish pounds

I can do about 45 push ups, 60 sit ups, and a 17:30 2 mile, which I want to cut even shorter.

Will fasting help me take off the pounds and make me a bit lighter on my feet? I wanna max out my age range before I ship out to basic.

I think so, yes.

Ok now this is epic

Incel

THE ANSWER IS NO.

DO A PROLONGED FAST TO HELP YOU CUT 10-20 POUNDS (HOWEVER LOW YOU WANT TO DROP). BUT YOUR WEIGHT WOULD BE MY GOAL WEIGHT AT YOUR HEIGHT IF I WERE LEAN.
AND DON'T WORRY SO MUCH ABOUT BEING LIGHT FOR BASIC AS MUCH AS YOU SHOULD BE WORKING ON JUST INCREASING YOUR STRENGTH AND ENDURANCE.

Two problems I need answers
> I get irritable when I fast
> I get heartburn when I fast
Around the 18 hour mark

Attached: 7E931FFE-452D-4CE9-951A-97B2DEB4723F.jpg (828x1070, 655K)

I am going longer, I said I’m not stopping until goal weight

I fucked up my knee a little bit but I need to do cardio. What do?

press ups

Intervals on stationary bike, or the rowing machine one legged/without legs

I'm done talking to people about fasting
they're all "Muh Nutrition" retards

so if youre doing omad you don't want to reduce calories?

>tfw losing weight surprisingly fast doing OMAD, pigged out yesterday but still lost 2lb

My stomach has shrunk so much that I can only realistically eat 800-1300 calories before wanting to explode.

204 to 167 in a little over 2 months.

wew lad. I'm doing OMAD but those losses are way better than mine.

that's why you don't talk to people about fasting
it's either something you do or something you don't
normie retards will never comprehend it because they're all brainwashed to eat like shit

I'm also doing 48hr fasts every week that might have something to do with it. My weight is stable for an entire week but I lose 1-2lb without fail after my weekly 48hr.

19 hours in with 17 to go. Doing adf 36 hours is the only way to fast without my thyroid killing itself

>Cole

Is this where fasting leads? No sex and drinking your own piss in Canada?

SURPRISE FATTIE ITS ME

>he says in the [Citation Needed] general
the normies are right and you have an eating disorder if you purposefully fast for over 24 hours

You would just try to hit your TDEE which is super hard for one meal so you’d probably end up cutting calories even if you weren’t actively trying to

JUST GIVE ME A DNP DEALER FUCK THIS SHIT

Attached: Kigurumi_Real_Side.png (1024x768, 281K)

I didn't plan to do dry fasting initially, but it just happened on a whim. I'm somewhat disappointed that my supplies are so low that the number of tests I can perform are limited as they are. At least I can continue recording weight data the same. I'm not sure whether to say I will have dry fasted three or four days in the end, but I am planning to go through one more night until mid-day tomorrow. I'll switch to a liquid fast for at least the rest of the day then, if not finish my fast that way completely.

My heart rate seems to have been steadily rising throughout these past four days. As I've experienced in other fasts, I've experienced a notable increase in tension and muscular fatigue. More troublesome than anything, I've found myself very bored. I think my fasts would be easier if I wasn't so overwhelmed with boredom that my only escape was sleep. I thought I might find some spiritual benefits from this experiment, but if anything, I'm just thoroughly disinterested in all aspects of life.

Attached: s3.png (2200x191, 35K)

if that's what you want to call it.. I'd rather have an eating disorder than be a fatty

nigga what sort of supplies are you low on, salt?

omad fag here.

start last sunday: 139.6kg
today: 133.3kg
daily plan see image + protein heavy food (total around 150g)

>how many hours are you fasted
22h

>how many hours left until you refeed
1h

>how are you feeling
+feeling good in general
+no hunger
+less exhausted
+slower puls
+more focused

-headaches during hunger (are they going away?)
-the amount of food is too much... will start blending the vedgies

Attached: Screenshot 2019-03-27 at 04.31.27.png (576x1416, 246K)

No, special blood strips for my ketones measuring device, as well as lancets for both ketone and glucose measurement.

height?

will fasting help with a binge eating problem or just make it worse

~5'9".
It is how you approach the refeed and your diet afterwards that decides that. In the end, it is completely a matter of self-control.

i am a binge eater and on omad for 5 days. Today was my cheat day. I don't feel the urge to binge eat. I ate like a regular human being.

definitely recommending omad.

dumb question, how strict is OMAD?

I have medication I have to take in the morning, and it needs to be consumed with food. Usually a protein bar is enough to keep me from throwing it up later. My meal times are typically 4pm though. Is that protein bar fucking me up?

Let's say I do constant 48 hour fasts for a month. How much weight can I lose?

>Is that protein bar fucking me up?
If your goal is OMAD, yes. OMAD = One Meal A Day. Eating twice within a time frame like that is going to be something closer to a 16:8. Consider eating once a day at breakfast, or spread your meals within a 4 or 8 hour window. That said, CICO still applies, so if you're eating an appropriate amount of food for your health goals, then you're fine.

I've seen great success so far cutting with fasting, but I've read you might be better off with traditional calorie restriction cutting past a certain point. Is there any truth to this? I'm about 9% bf looking to get down to 7% currently. Should I stick to fasting?

yeah the irritability we all deal with. look into techniques to reduce your stress. always remind yourself you WILL eat again just not now.

as for the heartburn that could be a ton of things. it might be something you are eating. when I first started fasting I had it too and it went away eventually

It depends some people feel great when sick and fasting. try it out. i know i feel like shit so I will never fast when im sick. some people even say you get better quicker while fasting yrmv

how much IF do you guys recommend if im just trying to lose the last 5-10 pounds? went down from around 190 to 175 with 16:8, should i try out 20:4?

Whatever you are comfortable with, really. Unless you are impatient or trying to get to a certain weight for some event, do whatever you are confident you will be able to go with faithfully.

lads....
lads.....
i thought this day would never come
but today i hit the 175 lbs mark, this was my weight goal
but.. theres always a but isnt it?
i STILL have fucking manboobs, what in the god fucking damn.... i came from 220 so i have nothing now, just pray to god to get rid of this shit im sick and tired of it and fasting was my last option now i have nothing left
>in4 lift DYEL
i do lift, i bench press 100 kg

>>how many hours are you fasted
50 hours and 40 minutes and counting
>>how many hours left until you refeed
21 hours and 20 minutes
>>how are you feeling
i coming from 2 72s so im planing to eat junk food

ok now THIS this is epic

Attached: 1553900897730.jpg (1080x1261, 697K)

coming on 48 hours
48 more to go
hungry, exhausted, weak

i did a 120 hour last week so hopefully this one goes by easier. i have to work two 12 hour shifts tomorrow and sunday and then i'll finally be able to break the fast.

Attached: 1522364527785.png (635x773, 14K)

I was really proud of myself when I first hit hour 48, but damn it got hard after that

It was the opposite for me. First 24 was a fiery hell of misery. After that it got easier and easier. On hour 54 and I feel great. Everyone is different I guess.

height?

THERE IS NO SNAKE JUICE RECIPE
youtu.be/oo3H-YcGzIY

5'11

I'm 5'7 160 and I still have em, but I have gone down to about 140-145 and they went away. According to the BMI chart that's about the same as 5'11 157-165. I am DYEL though..

First 48hr fast guy from last thread. Refed at noon today (48hrs exactly).

My experiences:
First 24 was amazing, I had lots of energy and felt light as a feather. Coming up on hour 36 (near time to sleep for that night) I was getting quite tired, possibly didn’t drink enough snake juice. After waking up around hour 42-44ish I felt extremely nauseous and cold, I had goosebumps on my arms. I took a tums (didn’t have baking soda at work) and continued to sip snake juice. The symptoms cleared up in about an hour or two. I lost a total of 6lbs during the 48hr fast, I’m now looking at OMAD as more sustainable lifestyle.