/fast/ - #406 - So You've Got Hunger Pangs edition

FAQ
/fast/ discord
>discord.gg/dknZqPb
What is /fast/?
>Fast is a thread for the discussion of intermittent fasting, fasting, water fasting, and dry fasting.

What’s the difference between intermittent fasting, water fasting, dry fasting, etc.?
>Intermittent fasting: Fasting for a certain amount of time with a short eating window. 16:8 (16 hours fasting, 8 hour eating window) is the bare minimum.
>Water fasting: Fasting with only water.
>Dry fasting: Fasting with no water. Dangerous, use with caution.

Why should I fast?
>ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC3946160/
>ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/11147801
>reddit.com/r/intermittentfasting/wiki/studies
>idmprogram.com/difference-calorie-restriction-fasting-fasting-27/
>Read all of these, they might answer some other questions you may want to ask.

How do I safely do an extended fast?
>Take snake juice, or just supplement electrolytes.
>Water=2L
>Potassium chloride =1 tsp (No Salt)
>Sodium chloride = 1/2 tsp (Himalayan Pink Salt)
>Sodium Bicarbonate = 1 tsp (Baking Soda)
>Magnesium Sulphate = 1/2 tsp (Food Grade Epsom Salts)
>Mix these in 2L of water and sip it throughout the day.
>[OPTIONAL] 2 tbsp Apple cider vinegar and 4 tbsp lemon juice. DO NOT MIX with snake juice, drink separately.
>You can also do this if you feel lightheaded, weak, dizzy, nauseous, etc., on shorter water fasts. Don’t do this while intermittent fasting.

Won’t I go into starvation mode?
>No. The mainstream definition of starvation mode is a myth. Read the FAQ linked below for more information.

Will (something with calories) break my fast?
>Yes.

Can I drink coffee, tea, and diet soda? Or anything with artificial sweeteners?
>You can do whatever the fuck you want. We recommend avoiding those, sweeteners especially.

Do I need a multivitamin?
>No

Prolonged fast Q&A: fast.fandom.com/wiki/FAST_FAQ

losertown.org/eats/cal.php

Previous:

Attached: capamerica.jpg (1063x683, 86K)

Other urls found in this thread:

ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/6571234
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ketosis
who.int/nutrition/publications/guidelines/potassium_intake_printversion.pdf
youtube.com/watch?v=a_3H876jWmI
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

>gain goblin parents bring pizza for dinner
>sister and her husband bought a chocolate cake

I lvoe my family but sometimes I kind of hate them

Attached: dbed1ba6-9197-4b58-95cc-dcd039ca1cf1.png (1280x1254, 722K)

Day 6, down 18 pounds. Hoping for 20 on the week.

Bump for fasting and lymphatic health!

Attached: 148764657982.jpg (1545x2314, 705K)

And now that I post the sources, "put a trip!". Yikes, dude.
Imagine actually being mad at being wrong about basic biological facts. Don't listen to hard science, listen to the funny yelling YouTuber that is a fat piece of shit 99% of the time.

I didn't realise this was a LARPing general for fatties, as the samefagging and the "progress" pics show. Shame, tho, I actually IFasted and actually lost 67kg.
Sorry for ruining your discord circlejerk, chief. You can go back to LARPing.

LMAO YOU REALLY LINKED THOSE SOURCES? WHO THE FUCK LINKS SOURCES LIKE THAT?

I'M SURPRISED THAT YOU DIDN'T GAIN WEIGHT AFTER THE DRY FAST, BUT YOU DID ONLY DRINK HALF A LITER.
IF YOU WANT TO STICK AROUND YOUR TARGET WEIGHT, DO OMEOD. OMAD MAY REQUIRE YOU TO EAT A LOW AMOUNT OF CALORIES AS IS, AND OMEOD COULD HELP BURN OFF EXTRA FAT YOU WANT TO GET RID OF.
ANYWAY, THANKS FOR THE PROGRESS, IT MAY NOT SEEM LIKE IT BUT OTHERS ARE MOTIVATED BY PEOPLE WHO LEAD BY EXAMPLE. STAY LEAN AND HIT THE DAMN GYM.

THE ONLY ARTICLE THAT PERTAINS TO OUR ARGUMENT IS THE SECOND TO LAST ONE AND IT DOESN'T REALLY EVEN TOUCH ON THE ISSUE. YOU'RE JUST LINKING BASIC BIOLOGY AS YOUR ARGUMENT, NOT ANYTHING ABOUT KETOSIS OR HOW YOUR BODY USES YOUR OWN BODY FAT FOR FUEL.
BACK TO THAT STUDY I MENTIONED:
>ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/6571234
>High-fat diets are not recommended
THAT DOESN'T EVEN HELP YOUR CAUSE YOU KETARD BRAINWASHED IDIOT. YOU DIDN'T EVEN READ ANY OF THIS SHIT, YOU JUST GOOGLED TERMS AND SPAMMED LINKS. HERE, LET ME SHOW YOU HOW A BABBY'S FIRST TIME POSTING SOURCE LOOKS LIKE:
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ketosis
>...while in ketosis, fat reserves are readily released and consumed. For this reason, ketosis is sometimes referred to as the body's "fat burning" mode.
CITATIONS ARE IN THE WIKI ARTICLE.
WAS IT THAT FUCKING HARD? YOU HAVEN'T EVEN ANSWERED ANY OF MY QUESTIONS IN MY POST HERE . I WONDER WHY.

>and still only use the body fat as energy
THAT'S THE WHOLE FUCKING POINT YOU FUCKING KETARD.
>And what did I say about ketogenic diet again? You need fat because you ingest protein, because excess of protein causes protein poisoning.
I'VE ALREADY ADDRESSED THIS BUT YOU CHOOSE TO IGNORE IT.
>nor do you need readily-available energy if you're sedentary.
I'M GOING TO RE-QUOTE YOU JUST TO SHOW HOW MUCH BRAIN DAMAGE THAT KETOGENIC DIET HAS CAUSED YOU:
DO YOU SEE THE FALLACY HERE?

The scary thing is you realize how much people associate food with "being social." It's almost like people have forgotten how to socialize without food or drinks.

I realized this on my 30 day fast, when you take away food, there's some people I would almost never socialize with because we have nothing in common.

Well done user, on Day 7 myself, had a really rough day but damn I love seeing that scale go down.

GREAT FUCKING WORK. KEEP GOING IF YOU FEEL GOOD.

>LARP LARP LARP LARP
JESUS FUCKING CHRIST YOU REDDITORS REALLY DON'T KNOW HOW TO INSULT PEOPLE, DO YOU? AND YET AGAIN, YOU'VE ONLY BEEN USING 'LARP' BECAUSE I CALLED YOU OUT FOR BEING A LYING ASS FAGGOT HERE .
IF YOU WANT A LESSON ON HOW TO TRIGGER PEOPLE, LOOK AT WHAT THIS user SAID TO YOU . THAT POST IS EFFICIENT, TO THE POINT, AND EFFECTIVE.

IT'S VERY EYE OPENING. IT MADE ME REALIZE HOW FUCKING SHALLOW OTHERS WERE, INCLUDING MYSELF. BEING DOCILE FROM SNACKING AND CONSTANTLY EATING IS SUCH A WASTE OF A FUCKING LIFE AND IT'S DISHEARTENING TO SEE SO MANY GOOD PEOPLE REDUCED TO SUCH A PETTY EXISTENCE OF WORK AND FOOD.

If I go OMAD will I lose muscle mass or strength?

tripfags ruin another thread and they don't even have the decency to put on a trip.

Attached: christ.png (511x452, 113K)

>High-fat diets are not recommended
Please, read the entire thing.

>High-fat diets are not recommended because of their association with atherosclerotic heart disease
>because of their association
>atherosclerotic heart disease
Which is not caused by fat. It is caused by lipoprotein that transports fats.

>CITATIONS ARE IN THE WIKI ARTICLE.
And did you read them? Did you actually read them?
Because the wikipedia says,
>fat reserves are READILY released and consumed
While the citations don't.

Which you would know if you had read the citations.

And,
Nice, taking things out of context again.
>He didn't have much energy needs out of that, which is how a morbidly obese person can fast for really long [...] still only use the body fat as energy

You told a guy that he shouldn't eat fat BECAUSE he has fat in his body and that he should go for leaner proteins sources.
So the guy eats carbohydrates that cause insulin spikes, make fat cells store energy in them and he eats protein with little fat.
Which is why I mentioned fat metabolism, protein metabolism energy needs, insulin resistance, the need for fat in a high protein diet, which is why I mentioned rabbit starvation and so on, because you dumbly said that eating fat while in ketosis stops ketosis.

Attached: stop-posting.jpg (800x450, 53K)

Chief, if I wanted to insult you I'd post your body pics like this one that shows you're a fatty LARPer that lost 4kg of water weight.

Have fun LARPing and circlejerking, fatty. I got uni tomorrow morning.

Attached: yikes.png (623x473, 391K)

>be me
>break my fast with two tempura rolls
>go to sleep
>still lose weight
>a good chunk too
Water retention is a bitchy bitch.

>Please, read the entire thing.
YOU HAVEN'T READ A SINGLE WORD OF THOSE ARTICLES.
>Which is not caused by fat. It is caused by lipoprotein that transports fats.
DID I SAY I AGREE WITH THAT? THE POINT IS THAT THAT ARTICLE DOES NOT SUPPORT YOUR CAUSE.
>And did you read them? Did you actually read them?
YES I HAVE, DID YOU? MOST LIKELY NOT. YOU'VE BEEN EXPOSED AS A LIAR, BRAINWASHED KETARD, AND YOU REFUSE TO ANSWER ANY QUESTIONS DIRECTLY.
>Nice, taking things out of context again.
EXPLAIN OUT OF CONTEXT? HOW DOES KETOSIS WORK AGAIN? AND HOW DOES YOUR BODY UTILIIZE YOUR OWN FAT STORES?
>You told a guy that he shouldn't eat fat BECAUSE he has fat in his body and that he should go for leaner proteins sources.
CORRECT.
>So the guy eats carbohydrates that cause insulin spikes
I'M SORRY, WHERE DID THAT COME FROM?
>which is why I mentioned rabbit starvation and so on
WHICH I'VE ADDRESSED AND YOU CONTINUE TO IGNORE.
>because you dumbly said that eating fat while in ketosis stops ketosis.
QUOTE ME ON THAT. ADDING EXOGENOUS FAT TO YOUR DIET PREVENTS YOU FROM BURNING OFF YOUR OWN EXCESS ENDOGENOUS FAT. CAN YOU NOT PROCESS THAT, OR HAVE YOU BEEN IN SUCH A LONG STATE OF KETOSIS THAT YOU'VE ACTUALLY INDUCED BRAIN TRAUMA?

YOU'VE LITERALLY SPENT SO MUCH TIME ON ME THAT IT'S MAKING ME BLUSH. IN YOUR FAILED ATTEMPTS TO HAVE ME POST PROGRESS PICTURES, YOU TAKE YOUR TIME TO GO THROUGH THE ARCHIVES, ALL THE WAY BACK FROM JANUARY, AND NOW YOU HAVE ME SAVED ON YOUR COMPUTER, I'M FLATTERED. IT'S GOOD TO KNOW THAT THE ONLY THING INTERESTING IN YOUR LIFE IS ME.

No

288 hours down, 720 to go.
Pretty interesting experience so far. Can't believe how easy this shit is after day 4.

How do I make the most out of a 4 day fast? Should i do cardio to burn more calories or will that make me sweat and need electrolytes?
I'm already in ketosis

go walking or on a stationary bike

>people in /fast/ have high bodyfat%
ssshhhooocckking

DID YOU KEEP TRACK OF YOUR PROGRESS?

IF YOU'RE ON SNAKE JUICE, HIT THE GYM. IF YOU'RE ON PLAIN WATER, GO WITH WHAT SAID.

YOU MEAN PEOPLE ON Jow Forums?

I've noticed around the end of day three my blood pressure skyrockets. I'm pretty fat but it's not ever close to as high as it gets when I'm on an extended fast.

Is there a way I can alleviate this outside breaking my fast?

Not if you hit your macros

>175 on thursday
>re feed
>as of today 190
when will i stop fucking things up
why is it so easy to refrain myself from eating long periods of time but cant control my self for 4 fucking hours when im allowed to eat

Lose blood or fat

how much did you eat? I actually find it easy to eat small after a fast

>farts starting to smell like sulfur

Attached: bhkifp.jpg (559x598, 71K)

the eternal debate

Attached: Untitled.png (850x456, 443K)

I have both

Fuck! This makes two weekends in a row I ate too much. Come on get it together. It's fucking April and time to get serious. Need to look good for May.

Do amino acids trigger a insulin response? I want to keep taking glycine and citrulline

i bought the mechanical because i heard the digital gets fucked up really fast but on the other hand i have to fucking guess what my exact weight is since its never accurate

41 days? You’re twice as far in as me right now, but I definitely agree about how easy it is.

Is 1 morning cup of black coffee ok for water fasting? My goal isnt to remove toxins or feel good, I just want to cut fat in a very simple way. Coffee has no calories, and I also plan on regularly lifting and running.

Can I lose 20lbs in 24 days doing 72s. Not drinking snake juice, only water so I dont want to go over 3 days. 5 at the most.

Sorry for poor photo quality. Top pictures are from 2 years ago just before starting basic calorie restriction 5’9” 250lbs. I was a misinformed power lifter at the time. Just discovered fasting about a month ago so unfortunately I don’t have any recent starting out pictures. Bottom pictures are from tonight after an all-day slow high protein refeed, 168lbs.

Just trying to get as lean as possible by May. For overall health and fat loss should I do 3 48’s or 2 72’s? I would say I could go longer but honestly when everyone says the first 72 hours are the hardest I can’t relate because those are the easiest days for me, after that becomes harder. I don’t want to overcomplicate anything.

I tried the 2 72’s this week. I felt fine during the first 72 but the second one was harder compared to the first. I know it was probably from electrolyte levels and my small refeed but I figured 3 days didn’t warrant snake juice. Been refeeding high protein, doing calisthenics and light cardio. Hair stopped falling out after I took a hiatus from weightlifting so I haven’t really gone back to it.

Attached: 6D4A1068-D817-45A2-802A-21D96479E440.jpg (2048x2048, 798K)

Holy shit I did not mean to type a blog. My bad.

>Can't believe how easy this shit is after day 4.
unless you are 400lbs THIS IS BAIT

hey guys starting 16/8 tomorrow. How do I deal with the hunger pang that I am goin to have?

dude are you me
im 5'11 and 175 but my body still looks like your pic related still have small moobs

Honestly I drink Bubly water anytime I get hungry. La Croix is the same thing. The carbonation will help settle hunger pangs and since there’s nothing added to the water you can drink as much as you want.

I tend to use the digital one. I have a 20 pound dumbell I can sort of use to see if the mechanical one is telling the truth, but it still seems off.

We can be the same person if you want to be, user. I’m good with sharing.

My lower pec definition is definitely lacking but luckily I don’t have anything like gyno. I thought I did when I was bigger but it was just me being a blob.

Attached: 937F5570-E49F-4E61-8740-D843B9F01D7B.jpg (750x500, 125K)

>start fasting
>eliminate polyunsaturated seed oils
>eliminate refined carbs and grains
>All aches and pains have disappeared entirely

hm... why do (((they))) recommend a diet that makes us all feel terrible?

yes its fine

money

WHAT'S YOUR HEIGHT?

WHY DO YOU KEEP FUCKING UP?

ONLY IF YOUR REFEEDS PROVIDE YOU WITH ENOUGH SODIUM AND POTASSIUM FOR THOSE 24 DAYS. IT'S DOABLE.

THE 72S WILL BE BETTER UNLESS THE 48S ALLOW YOU TO PUSH HARDER AT THE GYM, WHICH YOU SHOULD GO BACK TO.

YOU DEAL WITH IT. LASTS 0-10 MINUTES. SWITCH TO OMAD IF YOU WANT BETTER RESULTS OR DO PROLONGED FASTS.

Are you asking if that weight loss is possible in that amount of time or if you will die doing 72s on plain water for 24 days?

If it's the former

find your TDEE
multiply by 3
subtract the amount of calories you would be eating on your refeed every 3 days
multiply by 8
divide by 3500

>TDEE is 2400
>2400 x 3 is 7200
>you plan to refeed on 500 calories, so 500 - 7200 is 6700.
>6700 x 8 is 53600
>53600 divided by 3500 is
>15lbs

So yeah you can be get pretty close especially if you manage to throw in a 1-2 hour walk every day, you can get to 20lbs of pure fat in 24 days

If it's the later
You need to choose very carefully on your refeeds what you eat in order to not fuck your shit up without snake juice. Chicken should be a priority. Throw in a bone broth if you really are worried.

5'11

>ONLY IF YOUR REFEEDS PROVIDE YOU WITH ENOUGH SODIUM AND POTASSIUM FOR THOSE 24 DAYS. IT'S DOABLE.
i thought snake juice wasnt a must for a 72?

it can be, depends how quickly you lose electrolytes

its not but you still gotta get sodium and potassium from your food

you will literally die on plain water fasting
if you look up water fasting deathes most of them came from retards trying to go 21+ days on plain water and pissing out all their electrolytes

do you really want to drink the so4? what does your body do with it?

Attached: chrome_2019-03-31_22-48-25.png (264x177, 9K)

>if you look up water fasting deathes most of them came from retards trying to go 21+ days on plain water and pissing out all their electrolytes
yeah thats what im talking about
i just go to the gym like 70% and water fast for 3 days not going full retard on 21 days or 5+

diarrhea

yeah at that intensity you'll be fine then, don't worry about it

I'm not eating until I'm hot enough for Bonnaroo. Wish me luck. Going for a fucking month wooo

Attached: 1553401130764.jpg (525x525, 41K)

How aggressive do you think I need to fast in April to reach a goal of 210lb/95kg by April 31st if I currently am:
184cm/~6'1
237.2lb/107.5kg (3 days fed)

I sorta made a bet with a friend I can hit that weight by april 31st, but now I'm not sure if it's possible. For the record I am.starting in deep ketosis as my referees have been no carbs

maybe I'll try snake juice, I don't think the stuff I was drinking had enough potassium

will need to go to whole foods to get pink salt, no salt and baking soda

Attached: chrome_2019-03-31_22-56-56.png (682x245, 16K)

depends on how active you are gonna be
but it's doable in the 30 days in April if you go straight through, absolutely

you might be able to get away with 72s and a 500 calorie refeed if you are working out at least a hour on refeed days

why do all of the orses have high sodium:potassium ratios, but snake juice is closer to 1:1?

Attached: chrome_2019-03-31_22-59-56.png (639x313, 16K)

I'm not really working out that much. Only activity is walking to work. That being said, I am told you only lose at best a pound on fast a day of fat but probably .5-.7 or something is more accurate. That would make losing 27.2 pounds in 31 days almost impossible without activity no?

World Health Organization recommends a sodium:potassium ratio of 1:1 if I'm reading this correctly

who.int/nutrition/publications/guidelines/potassium_intake_printversion.pdf

Attached: chrome_2019-03-31_23-06-58.png (1126x1352, 427K)

that .5 figure is mostly for woman
as a man you'll be burning closer to .9 to 1.1 in my experience

also if you do a dry fast you can definitely hit that scale weight by dropping another 5-10lbs in a few days

Become more-salt-optimized than 90% of americans with this one weird trick

Attached: chrome_2019-03-31_23-10-16.png (1283x779, 170K)

>reducing sodium intake
For what fucking purpose

To get the sodium:potassium ratio closer to 1:1.

Can you dry fast into a snake juice fast back into a dry fast? And if so, how many days and how many sj days is the suitable routine.

My gf is a gains goblin in regards of making it with fasting

Attached: s6mzjwt2pj811.jpg (1242x1218, 114K)

yes

i'd say ideally go 3 days dry fast and then wet until you feel really good and then repeat

if you find yourself feeling like death, refeed on food if you must, good things to break a dry fast (after some baking soda with water) are coconut water and cucumbers

so drop her by her pussy, she's a gains goblin and needs to be cut loose

Is it ok to break dry fast with snake juice? That's what I usually do but is just baking soda better/safer?

yes

hey guys like this comment

>dat faq tho

Geez louise. I actually kek. I always thought /fast/ was a bait thread for dyels but now i see it's that bad, I'd rather keep a daily caloric defict tho

>not that bad*

Fuck I've ever been happier to be a phoneposter.

hmm

testing

About to do a 7 day fast, lads. Give me some likes to motivate me further.

youtube.com/watch?v=a_3H876jWmI

>tfw my dad has been trying to discourage me from doing a 30 day fast because he thinks i might die
>tfw he goes to my grandpas house to complain
>tfw my grandpa is a pastor and tells my dad I should go for 40 and try to match jesus

based gramps

Is anyone else doing snake cardio?

Hello, lads. Keeping myself accountable. Hope everyone is staying strong!

Attached: lent_week_03_update_.jpg (2048x6416, 2.05M)

Think I'll give this a shot. How long is good to do without snake juice?

I don't have some of the stuff and I'd probably need to order it online.

72 hours.

Thanks. I'll try for 48 probably.

I tend to get heartburn if I haven't eaten in a long time, should I just eat a buncha antacids, or is there a different way to counter-act it?

The only difficulty I've faced with long term fasting has been social. People find it somehow impossible to get over the fact that I'm ok with just drinking tea while visiting for a few hours.

So I started doing intermittent fasting.
16 hours fast / 8 hours eating.
Really easy, however I'm gonna have to to push it to 14/10 because eating surplus calories in 8 hours is disgusting.
Since doing IF I feel much better than before when I would do like 12/12 sometimes event 10/14

Why are you doing IF if you're eating at a surplus?

I had less energy than before IF. Looking leaner as well.

Hey, so here where i live i can get an alcaline bottled water that has some of the ingredients of the snake juice:
ph 9.5
Sodium 423mg
Potasium 115mg
Magnesium 95mg
Calcium 37mg
My question is, can i substitute the snake juice with this water? I know i need to drink at least 2lts per day so i would be drinking 2 bottles, ignore pic related, theres also a 1lt bottle son i would drink 2

Attached: images (1).jpg (452x678, 17K)

i fucking love sleep

How the fuck do you deal with hunger farts? I hate to start my fasting the day after i refeed myself and then fart a lot and getting my belly inflamated
Do you have yo make a detox before the fast?

I can't actually fast regularly, it's just not possible for me. So I'm wondering how bad it is to just fast for a whole day, OMAD the other, fast again, and then eat like everybody else does with five meals on one day and then do a whole day fast.

Attached: 86e791a7.png (399x400, 44K)

You still get benefits. A 24 hour fast every week is great for you.

Is it? What kind of benefits does it have?

How do I torch 12 inches off my waist in 25 days?