Are any of you lads into cold showers?

Are any of you lads into cold showers?

I'm from Scotland and always enjoyed wild swimming in very cold water but living in a city it's difficult to do regularly. After listening to a podcast with Wim Hof proselytising the alleged benefits of cold water I thought I'd give cold showers a go.

I've been taking them for a week or so and think I might keep it going, I'm feeling a few of the alleged benefits:

- Alertness: most obvious benefit, a nice dose of cold water really wakes you the fuck up, excellent hangover cure.
- Mental health: I struggle a little with anxiety and depression and getting under the cold water and focussing on controlling your breathing can you really help kick you out of a negative place.

Anyone else experienced any unexpected benefits? Or am I a complete fool?

Attached: chapter-fifty-wim-hof-method-ice-bath7.jpg (700x467, 44K)

I prefer doing a warm shower for 1 minute followed by 5 minutes cold.

Attached: images.jpg (300x168, 7K)

Op, I take really hot showers, followed by freezing ones.

I have a hot shower to wash my body, turn it to the coldest it can go and leave my arm in the water as it turns to ice. I then get in. The difference in temprature fucks you up real good. I find it's good for mental strength and waking up as you're basically putting your body into a semi cold water shock state.

But I find the mental strength comes from my body physically knowing that's going to be freezing (hence why I leave my arm in the water). I struggle with the black dog also, and find the same as you.

Good shit op.

Also to add, stop drinking op.
Will help with mood control a lot. You may loose some social gains but honestly being sober after several months you'll wonder why you ever drank.

READ THE FUCKING STICKY!!!

Stop living in the city then.
>voluntarily paying a lot of money for living in a tiny piece of space stacked on top of other people like ants among noise, asphalt and cement rather than having a nice big place in nature

B&R

I feel you regarding drinking, I have cut down significantly due to booze related anxiety. I don't think I'll ever go teetotal though precisely because of losing social gains.

I can't deny your wisdom, living in the city certainly has it's cons.

Did freezing showers for a 3 years or so but found that I was skipping showers sometimes because I hated them. I stopped feeling like they gace me any sort pf benefit so I switched back to regular.

Outdoor swimming year round is where it’s at op, I’m Scottish and our country is fantastic for it. Stay the fuck away from any dams or currents and you’ll be fine.

Attached: FB491FB9-BF20-476E-8BAE-D189B3A34810.gif (350x206, 1.67M)

When I go out I just drink alcohol free beers. (Literally empty calories I know ) But I dislike pubs and clubs anyway so the only social gains I lost was making new friends whilst drunk at pubs or something.

Regardless if you cut it all out you'll feel a great benefit and I looked at it as one or two nights of social gains a week aren't worth the feel good gains of a lifetime brah.

Also,it'll help anxiety and depression a fuck tonne.

Just don't drink normally, and if you go out or to a party have a limit, 4 ales or equivalent is mine. The fermented grain is good for your gut bacteria, it gets you drunk enough to loosen up socially and have fun but you don't get a hangover. And don't do it every weekend, once a month is plenty.

At least half of the grogginess/hangover is going to bed ridiculously late. Think how terrible you'd feel if you went from a good sleep schedule to randomly staying up til 4am and waking up at 10. You'd feel sick without drinking anything.

And hey man. Yeah. I'm from Scotland too, go swimming in the Tay from time to time after a good run.

Got into the Wim Hof method a couple of years back, stopped because it was making me leave humanity behind in terms of confortable temperatures. I still have the problem somewhat because I work out and work outdoors. I'm only comfortable outdoors with my top off. Putting a t shirt on anytime other than winter, being inside at all, sitting on a bus or train, makes me sweat like a bitch because it's like being in a relative fucking sauna to my body. So I stink and am sticky all the fucking time and there's nothing I can do because everyone else is only comfortably warm in environments heated to 21C. Antiperspirant works for about 5 minutes.

So I think doing Wim Hof and taking cold showers more often would kill me. It's ridiculous, went to a house party in Edinburgh at the weekend and within 10 seconds of entering my manly outdoorsman's musk was pervading the nostrils of every basedboy and stacy in the room. I wouldn't mind but I feel like I intimidate them/come across as some terrifying wildman (6'5 with long hair, reeking of test, probably twice the weight of all the city intellectuals). Making them walk through my sweet pheromones, I swear since I've done nofap it actually smells pretty good.

Attached: 1550497411209.jpg (446x646, 32K)

That seems like a daft reason to stop but I do get what you're saying. I've always lived in cold climates and often in old houses with single glazing so I'm pretty used to the cold and also turn into a sweaty beast in moderate temps.

What's wrong with dams?

It really got to the point where it was insufferable and embarrassing desu

I used to love jumping in deep river pools or sea swimming

Fuck cold showers though.

I plan on winning the lottery and buying land with cold natural pools or even one of those freezing plunge pools from the leisure centres, then ill jump in every morning

>proselytising

You just gonna throw that word out like it ain't no thang?

I usually run a cold bath and just hop in after warming up in the shower

Cold showers help me out since I have somewhat dry skin and an oily scalp. When I rinse with cold water my skin feels better and my dandruff isn't as bad

they can create currents that suck you in against the dam. This current isn’t always easy to spot and it can stretch for a distance out from the dam

If you get caught in it and can’t grab anything to pull yourself out you’ll be whirling around with debris until you drown

Attached: 90C29549-4C6E-4867-BB60-8A88AB96DDC7.jpg (520x365, 57K)

Not to mention they completely fuck up rivine lifes reproduction and create a need for fisheries. Dams that don't generate energy are shit and should be broken down

I've been doing the wim hof method for 2 months now and the ice cold showers daily for a month now, can say it's improved my life exponentially, from my resistance to cold, my mental strength, my response to any kind of stress etc.

Keep in mind the method raises your cortisol and adrenaline levels more than that of a bungee jumper's first time, it's crazy, but by doing that in a controlled state, you don't feel the emotional and mental distress you would in a real life situation, not to mention that you subconsciously automatically become more used to such high levels of cortisol and adrenaline, so naturally you will perform better in stressful situations and daily life.
So for exactly that reason, wim hof method + ice cold showers are god tier for any anxiety, depression problems you might be having and general athletic performance (20 reps of squats/running for a long while, you get completely exhausted, but not stressed out and you don't panic, you're used to not shallow breathing)

Also if anyone wants to join a self improv berserk themed discord server, here's an invite
discord .gg/vsRZjRJ

Attached: 1494806376312.png (3340x3176, 205K)

Moving out in june bro, can't wait to live a fitter lifestyle

>start with hot shower, get clean
>change to as cold as it will go
>hold each body part under the cold water until the skin becomes numb
>quickly switch back to hot
>try not to cum
>repeat if desired
Great for post-workout recovery.

I understand this user, but I haven't had a drop in a year and half now and I wanna keep my streak going. Also saves myself a good amount of money.

Also I feel like I used to use alcohol as a crutch, not having that there meant I had to deal with my shit, and I'm feeling better for it. But horses for courses and all that .

Can't comment on any actual health effects, but my experience is that it just wakes me up in the morning.
Also my skin is way better

Two reasons I'm going to post here.

1. Ive lived 29years in a small town. Absolutely beautiful, quaint, inexpensive and charming. I just got back from a year in Tampa, Florida. People everywhere, can hardly breathe. No cold tap water which brings me to my 2nd point.

2. I love cold showers, they are a healthy discomfort and a true meditation. Strengthens your willpower at the very least. However a cold shower in Tampa is not a cold shower in Michigan. Its relative. I would have to fill my freezer with buckets of water for enough ice to take an ice bath. I've taken cold showers in NM so cold that I was shaking and my lips were purple which scared me a bit. Can't do that in the warmer parts of the world.

hmm, that's weird, I also have a low tolerance for high temps and in the summer I would sweat like a pig every time I go outside. Ever since I started doing wimhof I just take a 5 min cold shower before going outside in the summer and I don't sweat for at least 4-5 hours.

>Keep in mind the method raises your cortisol and adrenaline levels more than that of a bungee jumper's first time
This is true, but for people who are scared this might lead to long term issues, after that initial spike of cortisol your average levels throughout the day are actually lower than normal, while you remain in a more focused and alert state.

I'm from a cold country and have never considered that tap water isn't always cold by default. Interesting. Makes the situation a bit harder I see, yes...

handcuffed to shower handle + ball gag + shower set to maximum cold

Interesting, even going outside in the summer is different to sitting inside a warm house though. And I think it's working outside that does most of the temperature adaptation. But maybe Wim Hof alone does make you more heat tolerant too.

me too user !!! mostly because i have to though. i have some kind of a dry skin condition and showering on hot water makes my skin kinda itchy. the day i started showering in cold water, is the day my mental health started to improve. a few years back, i was somehow able to climb out of feeling like shit every day and i think cold showers could have been one of the factors.

Love a cold shower. Just took one. Thanks for the reminder OP.

I just trying the breathing method for the first time, holy shit the feeling after is exhilarating

>hangover cure
stop binge drinking

>scottish
>stop binge drinking
good luck with that one