Is Stronglifts 5x5 Any Good?

I’ve gone through their website and their science seems pretty solid. The 5lb progression every workout seems pretty good in particular, as well as their dieting advice.

Is Stronglifts 5x5 any good? Is Regparks better?

Attached: FF84A350-4087-4D49-B49D-E204C75E9531.jpg (1500x2122, 556K)

Stronglifts is a fine program to build strength and muscle, but what are your goals?

Build muscle and get big

Also not Mark Rippetoe big, but more defined

Most beginner LPs are essentially the same.

It's fine to start off with since you need to get those fundamental lifts to help build strength but maybe after 6 months till a year you could switch up the program. It's great for bulking or cutting too.

I'm gonna be starting stronglifts myself in a few weeks. Ganbatte, user-kun!

Then I would do exactly this, throw in some chin-ups, dips, and lateral raises, and 20 minutes of HIIT cardio 3/week.

None of this will matter if your diet is shit though. If you're looking gain mass, eat at +300 to 500 calories above your TDEE, eat 0.8 to 1.0 grams of protein a day, drink eat religiously, sleep 8 hours a night, and eat minimally processed foods (frozen veggies are fine). Go read the sticky for more detailed info.

What is a good follow up to build strength and muscle?

This is a good starting program. Coming back into lifting after a long hiatus due to injury and it's getting me back in to the swing of things fast.
I add curls, triceps work, dips, chin ups, back extension, Lat pull downs and ab rollouts as supplemental exercises spread out across he three sessions, like a modified brosplit. Facepulls are every day and non-negotiable. Add some cardio on your rest days and you are golden.

Not him but SL5*5 intrugues me too, I'm trying to lose flab and build a bit of cardio fitness as well as build mooscles though. I

to be honest that's totally depend on you and your schedule. If you wanna continue on pure strength then do strength base routines if you want hypertrophy then a split could be good. Hell I'd recommend a PPL add in some progressive overload and a good diet and you'll be set. Pic related are some good ones that have been suggested in the past.

Attached: 1529890410469.png (2143x1912, 768K)

I'm using this program as a beginner for 2 weeks now today, and failed an Overhead Press rep. What exercises can I add to improve or supplement that area?

when i failed ohp, i started doing chinups, that helped a lot.

You will fail OHP sooner that the others. Front/lat delts, upper pecs, triceps, eventually serratus and traps. Start developing those.

SL5x5 is ok for starters. You'll want to add chins/dips, then supplement with curls, skullcrushers, leg raises and calf raises (if you care).
Once you're sick of squatting 3 times, deadlifting too little constant stalling, change to another program based on %'s and that makes you progress on weekly basis instead of workout by workout basis.

Stronglifts 5x5 will get you strong fast but it won't get you much in terms of aesthetic gains. I did it for a while and saw chest and leg gains but not much else. Switched to PPL after a few months.

Aesthetic as in, muscles get bigger, or aesthetic as in muscles get bigger in the proportion you're looking for?

Please don’t waste your time with 5x5 unless you are in a sport and you want to increase strength to help in your sport. 25 reps per exercise will do little for muscle development. Chances are you will learn improper form like most beginners because you are doing heavy weights and you have to keep increasing the weight every week.

Instead you should do much higher volume and focus on actually targeting the muscle you are hitting (mind-muscle connection). There is a huge difference between feeling it in your muscle, and just moving the weight. Try 4x12 or 48 reps per exercise.

You’re welcome btw. Now you won’t look like shit because you wasted your time on 5x5 just to be able to brag about how many plates you can deadlift.

weaklet detected

>volume
post body you fucking DYEL lmfao

yes, follow it as written, add in the chins, dips, curls, and skullcrushers

stop it when you can squat 300lbs+
SL says to do madcow after.
then you go to smolov

he doesnt know what hes talking about and is retarded.

stronglift works like written. follow it till you can squat to depth with good form 300lbs. then stop
it then tells you to do madcow

if your worried about "aesthetics", add in the chins, dips, curls and skullcrushers

I've been doing SL but I replaced one of the squats with pullups cause it felt more balanced to me. Thoughts?

Squat 300+ as in 300+ 1RM or 300+ 5x5?

300lbs OHP 5x5

I think you should replace the barbell rows with cleans. It's a bit harder to get right, but I think it's better.

>except dead lift
>1x5
Why? Isn't that literally warmup?

i've been doing SL for 4 months with only pull ups, face pulls, and cross cable flys thrown in for assistance. I've gained about 10lbs, probably 7 of it muscle. Gotten a lot stronger. It's a good program, give it a shot. download the app on your phone.

Because you already doing 5x5 squats

>Mark Rippetoe
>Big
holy kek

Attached: 53337692_10218112390186422_4813112077574995968_n.jpg (960x501, 42K)

>tfw my gym only has 2.5kg plates as minimum

AHHHHHHHHHHHH

Buy a couple of 1.25kg plates and just bring them in every session, easy

so the bottom line is, you're whole upper body training consists of 1 deadlift set and OHPs in this routing? Is this supposed to be all execercise you're doing (including the other routine)??
Seriously, what retardation is this?

Attached: 1551628832081.jpg (463x529, 35K)

Well if you can't read you're going to have a hard time doing any program. A warm up is not a set btw.

I basically do this, but I haven't really been pushing on my squats and deadlifts. So at 1x5 Deadlifts should be heavy, whats a good start plate-wise?

You do warmups for deadlift too. eg. if your working weight is 90kg you'd do 1x5 60kg, 1x5 70kg, 1x5 80kg, rest, 1x5 90kg working set.

It's an AB program, so you alternate the workouts. As others have pointed out, it's good to add pullups/chins/dips/curls as accessories.

Doesn't matter, adding weight every workout means you'll soon reach your limit.

Reddit fitness says its shit.

Can i do this everyday? Or should i be doing it evety other day, like mon-wed-fri, ideally i want a routine i can do mon-tue-wed-thurs-fri

Every other day - you need a rest day after each workout to allow your muscles to repair themselves and grow, same goes for any routine.

If you're that keen, do some cardio on the rest days or something.

Before I get autistically shrieked at, I maybe should add that you need to rest any given muscle group for a day after working it, so other routines often have something like lower body one day and upper body the next (working the upper body while lower is resting).

But obviously that doesn't apply to SL, where the whole body is worked each workout.

Cheers bro, don't suppose you could recommend something i can do every day?

You can get away with every day at the beginning but it's best to do rest days.

a good combo is SL & couch-to-5k on rest days.

I wouldn't really know to be honest, but if youre new to lifting then Stronglifts (or Starting Strength) really is your best bet. Other routines (which are ideal for more experienced lifters) wont have you progress nearly as fast, and/or will not be well suited to your body if it is not used to routinely lifting heavy things.

Just do SL/SS Mon-Wed-Fri and some cardio every other day (again, if you're a beginner)

And out of interest what would you recommend if not beginner?

So the general consensus is that a 3day full body routine is better than a split

It is shite. Google ketogains 5x5, it is essentially the same, but has some accsesories too. Just doing those 3 lifts Will get you a meme body, and lp works for a behinner ko matter what. There is absolutely zero reason to not add another bench variation, som more bicep tricep and shoulder work

True, if you are one of those rare individuals who can actually follow instructions and start with the lightest weight available.

Honestly, idk unfortunately, I'm only just now switching from the beginner SL routine to intermediate (Madcow), which is still a Mon-Wed-Fri thing

Progressive overload = gains