How much of an advantage is height in a fight really?

How much of an advantage is height in a fight really?

Attached: pKBjc.jpg (425x486, 34K)

That pic is pretty much this

Both are chads but still damn

Attached: 17BA6B27-E6B5-43A1-8D85-430711E87EDA.jpg (1606x648, 222K)

Shit boxers like Lewis won largely because of their reach, so it the pros it's a real thing. In a streetfight, my personal preference would be to fight someone taller than me. All streetfights go to ground eventually, and lanklets arms are just big long levers waiting to be grasped upon and twisted.

It makes a difference but not that big of one. Weight is more important.

Do a t-pose, the distance from the tips of your fingers is pretty close to your height. Taller people generally have more reach, and that plays a big difference in a fight.

Attached: download (30).jpg (300x168, 5K)

This is the correct answer

On its own height is no advantage.
All else equal, the fighter that uses their height best wins. If you're tall, that means keeping the other guy at your range. If you're short, that means... keeping the other guy at your range.
Mike tyson was a midget at heavyweight. It facilitated his bobbing and weaving style which took him past straights and masked his hooks and uppercuts.
Max Holloway is tall for his weight class (featherweight ufc champion yet taller than the former welterweight champion, for comparison). He uses his height to draw straights, evade with head movement and counter with his own (see his knockdowns of Jose aldo both fights) and he has a good check hook when guys rush him.
Stefan struve was freakishly tall but never fought like it.
Height is not an advantage in a vacuum. Or at most it's an advantage if both guys are shit.

all that matters is weight, and taller people weigh more

But if there was a fight between equal weight equal skills the longer reach would be the deciding factor obviously

In boxing height, weight, and reach matter but only if you know how to use them.

Boxing is a sport of inches, so if your reach is X inches but your opponent's reach is X+2 inches, then your opponent can fire jabs and straights outside of your range. Part of Mayweather, Paul Williams, and Winky Wright's success is that they have longer then normal arms for their division and could keep guys at the end of their reach while staying out of danger themselves.

In boxing height does matter because its easier to punch down then it is to punch up. Punching up takes more energy and takes a little off your punches because its not optimum motion. Punching down lets you add your weight to the punch. Although its an extreme case, Sebastian Fundora is 6'6" fighting at 154 lb where guys are usually less than 5'11". Reaching his jaw is hard, harder when you've been taking body shots all night long.

Weight matters as well. The heavier you are the more you can absorb hits and more weight your own strikes have. Additionally the more you weigh if you get into a clinch the harder and more energy your opponent has to expend to move you. Klitschko and Tyson Fury like to get into clinches and lean onto the other guy using their weight and height to smother and force their opponents to exhaust themselves trying to grapple them.

Tfw 5’8 with long arms

dude that untrained chad was our hs quarterback when i was a freshman
i think he played college but didnt pursue a career in it

>6'1
>6'4.5 armspan
What does I mean by this?

Punching power doesn't correlate with weight class, there are loads of studies about this. And it makes sense, weight classes are very young, while boxing is very old.

If you're tell, you're more apt to outfighting and if you're short, more apt to infighting. That's pretty much it. All good punchers are "short" and "have bad technique" is another rule of thumb.

A short good boxer could easily lose to a mediocre boxer who's a few inches taller, so it's a huge advantage.

true and untrue. Plenty of good short boxers have moved up in weight to fight taller, longer, and heavier guys and have beaten them and likewise plenty of small talented guys have moved up and been unable to handle the endurance and power of bigger less skilled guys.

>all these people talking about boxing
height is only an advantage if the person actually knows any training

If you know wrestling, grappling, kicks, teeps, punches, and elbows, plsu you're muscular and the tall guy is just some lanklet who occassionally shadow boxes, yeah you'll win

Get on my level. 6'1" with a 6'7" wingspan. I pull 495 for 5 and barely squat 225.

In boxing it's huge. In MMA and street fighting it's not.

Also this.

I guess what I'm saying is a shorter fighter cannot be of equal skill to a taller boxer and expect to win, he must be better than the taller boxer.

Yet Stallone was much more successful. Really goes to show you that looks aren't everything.

In MMA I imagine it will become huge when the sport is more refined. Jon Jones, whilst a cheating piece of shit, utilises his reach effectively. Both arm and leg reach. He's league's ahead of anyone else

reminder that Mike Tyson was short as fuck

>In boxing it's huge.
Which is why Valuev was the GOAT and today's HW's are universally seen as the best generation in boxing ever, right?

Dumbass.

Yes, but he was an incredibly good fighter. Mike Tyson can beat the average tall lank on the street, but that's because he's Mike Tyson

he was 5'8 which is average in muttistan

>All streetfights go to ground eventually

No, the vast majority end with a ko early

He was 5'10 dumbass

converting between metres to feet is aids. I forgot that 5.8ft isn't 5'8ft. fuck america.

Pathetic. I’m 6’4 with a 6’2 wingspan. If youre not apex predator dino mode you wont make it

Attached: 8DD21981-9632-458E-A4DF-7A7CB6BD0149.png (714x388, 268K)

>t. WORLDSTAR/MMA fag
Don't be stupid. The average over-aggressive fuck can't land a hit to save his life. I've watched plenty of fights. A good chunk get broken up before anyone has so much as a bruise. The rest become grapple fests so that someone can land a ko on an immobile target. Also getting knocked on your ass because your nose is bleeding and losing consciousness are not the same thing.

How old is 15, really?

Retard. Valuev was a world champ despite having zero fucking skill or experience. Why? Because he was tall as fuck.

Not really. Wrestling and clinch fighting makes it completely different.

Black

Stallone is an actually okay actor. The other guy is horrible. He can't act for shit. My dad was watching some movie with him a while ago, and God was it depressing, it was so bad.

I've always wondered if the T Rex got continue and evolve, if their arms would have gotten bigger.

Huwhite actually

181 cm 192 cm wingspan

182cm height, 184.5cm wingspan. And that's literally only because of naturally broad shoulders. Feels bland man

From my personal experience sparring someone significantly shorterin boxing kind of sucks. If the other guy gets to the inside you cannot really hit him, you basically don't have body shots available and it's easy for him to slip under your punches. On the other hand you don't really have much head movement available and are basically reduced to throwing straights. But I'm a shit boxer so that might also contribute. Anyway I am not surprised at all that there have been very successful short boxers (e.g. Mike Tyson).

In muay thai on the other hand being taller than your opponent is basically god mode. It's much easier than boxing to keep someone off you having teeps available. And if the other guy gets inside you knees are super easy. Plus you are fairly safe from head kicks while having easier head kicks available. Again I am not surprised that most thai fighters are fairly lanky.

> I am not surprised at all that there have been very successful short boxers (e.g. Mike Tyson).
>Mike tyson
>short
AAAAAAAAAAHHHHH

Attached: 33481015d04b3974f9ed7acf616592901b13507ebdabf48ee1d6d09d63acc2c4.jpg (800x450, 53K)

Maybe the fights you're in, if I land there punches and a knee it's over. lot of the time two shots but I like a three shot combo.

Right hook or straight depending on distance.

3 shots depending ability. Throw a stiff jab, left hook right straight.

Only going to ground is fag starting shit usually. It's like cheat mode knowing how to fight, when defending yourself against drunks in UK. Just gotta try not to bounce them off the pavement and kill anyone.

Attached: IMG_20190409_163700.jpg (750x829, 142K)

No. Goes off weight it's often a disadvantage look a Tyson and Canelo. Watch Canelo v Fielding.

taller people are much weaker pound for pound. having longer bones is a mechanical disadvantage. same reason why blacks are weak since they are generally lankier

Height? Not much.
Reach and weight are much more important.

Yes, the saying in boxing is that a skilled big fighter will always beat a skilled small fighter

if taller people are much weaker why is it when you rise up in weight divisions the higher the ko ratio becomes?

Reminder that skill > everything else.
Unless you are such a large person that the confrontation resembles that video of Connor messing about with Hafthor, even someone as small as Mighty Mouse could light up anyone here and there’d be nothing any of us could do about it.

If you can get into the pocket and throw your at a immediately advantage (assuming your both in shape)
The taller the longer your reach

It’s a distance game, if the smaller guy can dictate pressure he can throw from inside, the taller guy needs to make range and put him at a disadvantage

Both can be fucked, but the longer your reach the more advantage you’ll have on the grounds that you can still hit up close, and if the advantage is made you can keep someone at pay and lay a clinic

If they ever developed a need for it then maybe

Someone with a 4 inch height advantage has a better advantage than an opponent with a 2 inch reach advantage because of angles

>shit boxers
>Lewis

Stopped reading

In striking, height provides a reach advantage, but a decently skilled fighter can negate this pretty easily. In grappling, it doesn't really make a difference. I'm speaking from a wrestling perspective, so if any Jiu Jitsu guys have something to say, chime in. While there are some things tall guys can do better while wrestling (cradles), they generally have no advantage, or even a disadvantage (ankle picks)

Holy shit I’ve never met someone with my same H/WS stats before. Also
>short legged 32inch inseam pants for maximum crocodilian K-T Extinction dodging gains

Attached: CCD59AE2-A6C3-4510-BAAC-EB5DA2E58858.jpg (1280x720, 212K)

because they weigh more in higher weight divisions you idiot

What the fuck kind of answer is this?
Stallone wrote the first Rocky movie.
Hollywood is one of the few careers where height doesn't have much of an impact. They can make it look like an army is fighting in space, they can sure as hell make it look like the leading man is an inch taller than the leading woman in heels.

You have Stipe Miocic proportions (Look how long his Torso is. He has stubby legs). Don't believe his lies with what his reach is listed at, he obviously has t-rex arms when fighting

Attached: 136_Stipe_Miocic_and_Francis_Ngannou.0.jpg (1200x800, 112K)