First Kickboxing fight!!!

Alright, it's looking like I will have my first Kickboxing fight in early August and I had a couple questions for any of you who have competed in any type of combat sports:
1.How did you overcome the anxiety of your first fight?
2.How did you prepare yourself cardio wise?
3.What miscellaneous advice can you give to this faggot?
4. How did you support yourself financially while having enough time to train?
5.What strategies did you employ?

I have been training for 5 years now, and I wrestled in High school so I am used to competition. I am 5'7 so I would be short and would compete at 145-155. I weigh 166 right now.

Attached: 220px-High_kick_block.jpg (220x330, 19K)

Abuse the push kick/teep, depending on rules.

I hope you get beat down m8.

Attached: 3FEB754800000578-0-image-a-16_1493872045158.jpg (634x633, 38K)

Push is my weakest kick, but I shall use it more often. It will be caged Kickboxing.

Where are you gonna hang your purse?

>Push is my weakest kick
It's the best kick of all though (in matches). It should be your jab. Every time the guy does something, he gets a foot to the chest and falls over.

Thanks, fag.

I shall work it with more volume and accuracy during sparring and drilling.

Comes on 4chin looking for advice. You've already lost.

Attached: images.jpg (172x292, 13K)

Use push kick man, the Thais avoid of a lot of boxing tactics just by shutting down entrances with a teep

You’ve been sparring correct?
Same thing, just don’t wind up and try to deliver harder blows, it will ruin your speed and power.

One time I sparred and used a push kick against the opponent who was throwing a high kick,he got down and the kick didn't even touch me lol

Yes, I am quite comfortable under pressure and I have faith in my chin, I have been throwing lots of volume and ending my combos with a hard leg kick. I am a southpaw.

Every time I fought, there turned out to be a shit load of variables you don't really account for, and that's before you even get in the ring. Try not to psych too much about the process leading up to the fight - you'll be in a place you don't know, probably in a shitty warehouse gymnasium with dirty changing rooms surrounded by people you don't know and trying to speculate on who and how strong your opponent will be. Don't worry too much about that. It's an amateur fight so your opponent could be a hobbyist who was placed there by an irresponsible coach as much as it could be a future world champion so hope and prepare it's the latter - if you're preparing for the former, you'll just give yourself leeway to put in less than 100% of what you can do, and then you'll lose for sure. You also don't know what their strengths, weaknesses and style are like so focus entirely on your own. Base your gameplan around doing what you know how to do and what has worked out for you in the leadup to the fight.

The way you tune your cardio for fights is to not be lazy. By the end of the second round of bag work, you should feel heavier and tired. If you're not, then you should be throwing longer combinations and moving around more. Be smart and conserve energy, but still give it your all.

Also in amateur fights just spam low kicks and kicks to the body, then start going high when you see them drop their hands. Amateur fights are usually done with shinpads so there isn't much of a risk in spamming kicks and most dudes don't know how to properly counter at that level, unless you're extrraordinarily sloppy.

Thank you, user. I find the push kick to be harder as the shorter fighter unless the tall guy is rushing in a bit, but I'll work on throwing it both offensive and defensively.

Don't forget the psychological warfare friend.

Respect the rules but don't be friendly with your opponent.

Don't laugh or show emotions at all.

Thank you, user. This was a comprehensive response I was looking for. My Boxing is pretty good, but it's Kickboxing and I don't want to toot my own horn. Anyhow, I have been jumping rope for 10-20 mins every time I am at the gym, agility ladder for 10 mins, shadowboxing or hitting mitts working on key scenarios, then Bag work throwing lots of volume and emphasis on head movement/footwork, and then I spar after striking drills, but extra curricular wise what workouts would you do outside the gym?

Squats, bench and overhead press just to keep your joints and muscles in top shape. My coach usually handles all conditioning and I lift on the side because I feel stronger when I do so. If you're breaking any serious PRs while preparing to fight, though, you're doing shit wrong.

When you use several exclamation marks it makes people think you already have CTE and should be stopped from fighting or sparring.

Thank you, I lift weights as well, how many times a week do you lift, when do you cut back on strength training as you get closer to a fight, and what kind of cardio/muscle conditioning exercises do you do outside the gym IE(Roadwork, Sprints, shuffing, calisthenics, plyos, etc.)

>I have faith in my chin
It's over for you.

Lol!!!!

I got a good laugh, but I should be cautious, not be over confident, keep my chin tucked.

Bumping for this. I'm also interested in knowing how to best combine lifting with kickboxing. Mostly with regards to how heavy to lift, set/rep schemes, etc.

Train your neck.

Yeah, I was wondering that myself, because I am an experienced lifted, but fighting is different, takes a toll on your body so I can't lift bro split style. I xo full body 3 days a week, so like Strong lifts 5X5

Mon:Squat, Bench, Dead
Wednesday:Squat, OHP, Bent over row
Friday:repeat monday.

Now, you can add in some acessory work, I have a bad low back so I do hyper extensions, and I will pick an accessory for each body part, and if you're competing which I plan to, I do more sports specific lifting, I do RDLs sometimes for ham development.

>1.How did you overcome the anxiety of your first fight?
It really helps to have your trainer and team to support you. If possible scout out the venue and ring beforehand. Mentally visualize the fight. Be confident in your ability but also remind yourself to stay composed. Boxing and kickboxing is 80% mental, 20% physical.

>2.How did you prepare yourself cardio wise?
If you've been training for 5 years and you don't know the answer to this I'm not going to help you

>3.What miscellaneous advice can you give to this faggot?
Despite anime and movies, there's no such thing as a last minute surge of adrenaline where you get 99% damage reduction and 300% speed, power, and critical damage increase.

>4. How did you support yourself financially while having enough time to train?
Some people do work a full 8 hour a day job then train afterwards. Other people just mooch off of mom and dad or their girlfriends, whatever works for you.

>5.What strategies did you employ?
Hit them more then they hit you

What is better for Martial arts/kickboxing, conventional deadlifts or sumo deadlifts? I'm trying to improve my kicks

Not asking Jow Forums retards an actual serious question is a good first step

Caged kickboxing?... ok. Work with your strong points, not your weak points, mix up your game and hit the heavybag in your free time. Make on move your trump card

Solid advice, user. Thank you.

Thank you.

No worries. Did you learn Muay Thai or "just" Kickboxing?

So basically I train at my MMA gym. We are primarily an MMA gym, however we have good strikers and we recently started doing Kickboxing shows. Originally I started off doing it all, Grappling and striking, but I gravitated more towards striking as it's more my style.

We are not a traditional thai gym if you're asking. We incorporate multiple styles, but I would say our striking is based off the dutch kickboxing style. Lots of footwork, head movement, angles, volume, etc.

Funny, i recently switched from Karate to MMA. The guys i train with were pure Muay Thai fighters but now do Bjj too.

Ive been boxing for roughly 6 months, kickboxing maybe 1-2x a week. Wrestled in high school as well.

When did you guys feel "competent" in fighting? I'm 6'1" 195lbs but I still feel like most people I spar/drill with could fuck me up.

When did you feel ready to compete?

What's deadliest? A well placed and executed kick or punch?
I have legit t rex legs that can develop a shitload of force compared to the rest of my body (I'm tall as fuck) and although a punch can fuck someone up, I feel like even a solid kick from my untrained self could legit break someone in two.
I'm starting kickboxing next week for the first time in my life for this reason. I feel like I can be a decent fighter if I learn how to properly skip and use my legs.

You never did Martial Arts but you think you can fuck up most people. Lol good luck learning the truth

a kick from a trained person will fuck up 100% of untrained people.

if you've got strong legs that's great, but be prepared to work a little more on balance/coordination than size or strength. Technique > everything else

If you are a 1year+ trained kickboxer and you throw a kick against an untrained individual, they will have no idea what to do. If they try to react they will still try to catch it low with their hands, dropping their guard and exposing their torso and head. If they do react instinctively and actually manage to get their hands/forearms in the way of your kick, you will probably break a bone or two.

also
is right. if you're untrained you dont know how much you dont know. Stick with it though if your ego can handle it. literally 1 year of striking will make your strikes drastically more dangerous

I just like the ability to throw hands more. I wrestled, but I hate it. Not very happy about getting sweaty only to have other people's sweat all over me. I mean, I don't mind, but still.

>you will probably break a bone or two
to clarify, i meant their bones. The best defense against a devastating kick is either:

a. stop it before it starts/generates power
b. get the fuck out of the way

I still feel that way even though I have been performing better in sparring. Got so much to work on. Anyone can fuck any one up though. It doesn't matter how long you've been training; every dog has his day. I fuck people up now that I couldn't land a jab on years ago, but sometimes people that have been training less have got the better of me. It's all about work ethic and who wants it more that round. You might have a cold, a bad day, had done too much cardio before hand so many other variables, there's no losing in sparring unless you don't even try or adapt. Even if you get your ass kicked you subtly pick up on things if you have a functioning brain.

Ooof. You will probably learn a lot

That and I have zero potential or interest in grappling.

Never got to fight. Fucked up paper work last minute.
t. Fool
> 2.How did you prepare yourself cardio wise?
Heavy Cardio everyday until a week before the fight. Also practice your kickboxing techinque afterwards, when you are completely exhausted and drained.
> 3.What miscellaneous advice can you give to this faggot?
Get yourself mentally prepared. Be hyped and ready but don't be overconfident or freak out. Think pokerface at all times.
Part time job
Know your opponent. If he has had any previous fights, try to find and watch them. Having this information can change everything.
Have a strategy and stick to it. Set the fight at your pace.

You could be like Cro cop and just straight kickbox in MMA, although I personally want to learn some wrestling

Hey OP, or any kickboxer. If you had to start over but had the ability to chose between muay thai and kickboxing, which one would you chose? Since I am transferring to a a big city, and I have the ability to learn one of them.
Kickboxing is cheaper than muay thai.

Muay Thai Is a Martial Art.
Kickboxing has similarities but started as offshot from non contatct Karate.

Do you live in America? I can tell you in Europe you should not have a problem with Kickboxing bc in Europe MT and KB are pretty similar but in the US you can catch one of those gyms that teach you only the non contact stuff

>Do you live in America?
Bulgaria.
I am mostly interested in learning a way to defend myself if anyone tries something with me, so I can know how to punch,defend, kick etc.
Not really interested in being competitive in either of the sports/arts.
Thanks.

Than you should go with Muay Thai/Boxing and Judo. Full contact Karate should be okay too

Kickboxings good, its boxing with kicks. An experienced kickboxer or even boxer will have the advantage over 90% of people unless they wrestle, which I would recommend wrestling or bjj. Muay Thai teaches elbows and knees but its for pussies. Hope that cleared things up

The fuck are you tlaking about? MT for pussies?

Yes
Also forgot, if you can get into SAMBO, I would go with that. It is rare outside of Russia, although it is possible you might find a gym in a ex eastern bloc country.

Explain please

Systema? Oof..

MT is objectively harder and more demanding than kickboxing my guy

This guy just wants to trigger

Yeah if your a woman. MT is dishonorable cheap fighting

> dishonorable cheap fighting
Did you watch to many Samurai movies? Self defense does not know cheap fighting

Get that nigga, op

I do a 2:1 ratio
Meaning every 1 day i spent lifting weights i train technique/sparring.
If i feel like i’m gettinv burned out i do a 1:1 ratio for a week and if i STILL feel burned out after i do a full deload week

Your opponent wont be better than any of the guys you sparred with at your gym

>2.How did you prepare yourself cardio wise?
Fuck technical, you already know how to fight. Only conditioning

>3. What miscellaneous advice can you give to this faggot?
As soon as the bell rings you will get pumped by a load of andrenaline which will burn into your enery stores for rounds 2,3 and any more. Do not let that happen. Pace yourself. Feel your opponent out in round 1 dont work harder than him.

Attached: z-Tony-Jaa-Ong-Bak[1].jpg (1600x1200, 437K)

How far away is your fight? Cutting 11 lbs minimum isn’t healthy or good for your body right before a fight unless it was a slow cut. Crashing that weight off you’ll feel like shit and your performance will suffer.

>reading books is for pussies. Real men live through 1000's of years of trial and error to learn everything

thats how retarded you sound.

You don't overcome anxiety, you use it as fuel.

By time you go out into the ring, you should have a sweat going.

Just use what you already know.

Cutting weight was the worst part of fighting for me. At first I was not so strict with my calories and the cut was brutal. I didn't eat for 4 days straight, going in the sauna multiple times a day in a sweat suit, feeling like I was going to die. Looking back, I was probably close to death on a few occasions. I cringe just thinking about it.. So my advice to you is be smart with your cut and diet down so you don't need to kill yourself sucking all the water from your body.

Thank you, user!

August 3rd if all things go well, I'll lose most of it naturally in training by then.

My only problem is my nutrition I know what to eat and such, but still. It's same day weigh ins.

Op here, I hope to do straight Boxing eventually(I am 18 going on 19 next week)

Muay Thai and Kickboxing are similar yet so different at the same time, and as a result of Kickboxing and Muay Thai becoming more westernized certain elements spill over from other arts. You see Thais using more head movement and footwork from western Boxing(shit traditional thais never considered), and you see Kickboxers using low kicks(look up Rick Rofus).

1. nothing. you will be nervous. push through it and deal with it. one thing that will probably help tho is, don't tell anyone outside of your "fighting bubble" about the fight. no friends, no family. - just bring your coach and the rest of your team. if you bring your family and friends, the anxiety will be worse like 100x.
2. i did what my coach told me to do. but cardio was never my issue, so talk with your coach.
3.don't overthink stuff, use the things you know you are good at, don't experiment in there.
you train for 5y, you should know what is going on.
4. i work full time. fighting is still "just a hobby".
5. like i said at 3., i used the things im good at, i listened to my coach while i fought and did my best.

good luck on your fight, i hope you win. and even if not, don't be discouraged and go back at it.

Attached: 532556834.jpg (723x400, 103K)

>How did you overcome the anxiety of your first fight?

Forget that. Just concentrate on the comfy TBI wheelchair life you'll enjoy after getting wrecked and go for it.

Do shit tons of cardio, idiot.

>3.What miscellaneous advice can you give to this faggot?

None. You're gonna regret it when you get older.

Landscaping. After the fight just enjoy permanent disability.

Brass knuckles.

t. Ex rugby player who had life-altering neck injury. Don't play dumb games.

step in side kicks are effective but rarly used

splits into nut punch in round 1 ftw

Attached: Johnny-cage.jpg (305x358, 26K)

Hey OP, im currently in a similar situation. I'm preparing to compete in my first boxing match in either a month or two month depending if I have to do preliminary rounds or not. So im not speaking as an expert, but this is how I look at it.

1.How did you overcome the anxiety of your first fight?

Cant really speak on what I did, but im going to try and stay composed and remember that I deserve to be there for all the work I put in.

Training six days a week, a lot of light sparring and drills 4 days a week, one hard strenght and conditioning session based on giant sets/circuits, medium intensity cardio twice a week, HIIT twice a week and a hard bag session

3.What miscellaneous advice can you give to this faggot?

Look up Phil Daru on youtube, watch anatomy of a fighter or similar stuff like that to gain insight on how the proffesionals deal with this stuff

Im a student so have a decent amount of time, but I also have a part time job to support myself

Im planning to listen to my coach, stick to the basics and what works for me

Hope this helped, if anyone has tips for competing in boxing let me know.

All wrong.

You don't lift for striking sports. You just don't. end of story.

>effective
lmao no
thats why they are rarely used

Jump rope. Not even kidding.

stop talking shit, I landed them in competition and training. if they are executed properly they work great and can easily stop a fight.
and they are rarely used because most fighters are not learning them properly and because of that the kick is ineffective, so they come to the conclusion that the sidekick doesn't work.
but in reality they just lack the right technique.

You do actually. Traditional martial artists dont lift because their training techniques evolved hundreds of years ago, but these days you do want to have as much strength as you can while remaining in your weight category.

They do it in phases. Focus on lifting in the early stages, the transition to focusing on cardio

Asking random strangers on an african fetish board, instead of your coach or team mates, you deserve to suffer faggot.

> African fetish board
Supreme taste my friend

1:In my first fight I was 16, so I was very young, full of testosterone, and a HUGE ego. I didn't think I could get hurt, so naturally, no anxiety whatsoever, I also WALKED like 5 miles towards the fight, so perhaps that walk helped calm my nerves, not asking you to walk 5 miles before a fight of course. Now reality was a different story lol. I barely won that fight via a left hand late in the third round after getting my ass kicked for the first two. All my other fights have been anxiety free as well... and my secret is actually tied with answering number 2.

Cardio is what keeps me from having anxiety in fights. The only thing that worries me, is getting tired in a fight. Because when one is tired, one is slow, one is sloppy, and one becomes open to getting finished. Sure, you can get finished by a huge punch out of nowhere, but most finishes aren't first round flash knockouts. Most finishes are after the initial adrenaline dump. Most finishes happen when both parties are tired to some extent. So train your cardio, be sure you can fight a hard paced fight for as long as the fight can potentially go. So if you have three rounds, each being three minutes long, then you should be able to fight hard for 9 minutes straight. But that doesn't give me confidence, so I work on my cardio to the point I know I can go 25 minutes if I had to, knowing that if I have reached that level of cardio, then there's no way I will get tired in 9 minutes. This knowledge does wonders for pre-fight jitters, knowing I've prepared extensively.

3.Typically with low level fighters (you will get matched accordingly I hope), first time fighters, or fighters with very few fights, tend to go crazy and blow their load on first minute flurries of strikes. Survive the onslaught if your opponent comes at you like a spider monkey, and then afterwards his arms will feel like lead, and he'll be a walking punching bag.

Cont

part 2

That doesn't mean you should let some guy hit you for a minute straight unaswered though, that's a good way to lose a fight because eventually one of his strikes will sneak in just right. In order to get an aggressive fighter to STOP his onslaught, you have to plant your feet, and answer back with a hard punch. There's no other way, you HAVE to get his respect. He has to feel like you're dangerous and that he can get knocked out if he walks into your strikes.

4. My girlfriend is rich

5. Strategies for my Muay Thai/Kickboxing fights? Every fighter is different, work to impose your strengths on your opponents weaknesses. But you have to malleable throughout the fight. If you're an outside fighter, but your opponent is taller than you, and a better outside fighter than you, then you're going to have to try to fight him on the inside, keep probing until you find his weakness or something that makes you uncomfortable. I'm a striker primarily, but in one of my younger MMA fights, I was getting lit up by a suppossed BJJ on my feet, and the way I won that fight, was by wrestling him and ground and pounding him to a decision. So be prepared to do anything that might be asked of you inside the ring/cage. Lastly, unless you're trying to go pro and make a career out of it, think about your long term health. Don't be afraid to call it quits if you're receiving a massive beat down. Good luck Jow Forumsgit

Attached: 1542242777272.jpg (819x1024, 178K)