Is calesthenics the ultimate fitness redpill?

is calesthenics the ultimate fitness redpill?

>builds functional strength
>can be done practically anywhere for free
>builds a body big enough to impress grills
>less prone to injury
>looks cool af

Attached: 2018-06-11-PHOTO-00000059.jpg (1600x1066, 579K)

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=LYEhr7iJMZw
youtube.com/watch?v=mRznU6pzez0
youtu.be/_OyHDWeJHFM
youtu.be/AIpsvNAT834
reddit.com/r/bodyweightfitness/wiki/kb/recommended_routine?utm_source=reddit&utm_medium=usertext&utm_name=bodyweightfitness&utm_content=t5_2tf0a
startbodyweight.com/p/start-bodyweight-basic-routine.html
roamstrong.com/workout-system/
antranik.org/bodyweight-training/
twitter.com/AnonBabble

>builds a body big enough to impress girls
:^)

I'll take the calpill after I reach 1/2/3/4.

It's pretty hard for a fat person to start with bodyweight training. Pull-up progression has a very big gap when going from negatives to assisted. Shoulder workouts are a huge pain in the ass since most of them eventually requires you to do a handstand push up. Leg raises are also an issue since most pull up bars you get for your home are too low unless you are a midget.

What are some good calisthenics routines, non-meme ones?

Calisthenics + Cardio is the godpill for maximum health and aesthetics

I'm currently on this pill, and it's fantastic

A bunch of pullups, a bunch of dips, a bunch of pistol squats, a bunch of abs exercises, and a bunch of pushups. I also add RDL with dumbbells for lower back.

One day I’m going to be able to do an iron cross like the left guy.

Attached: 56C3FA44-3FFD-41A1-98C1-A0A65100C34F.jpg (1400x2002, 840K)

It is honestly. That being said it only works for people who are skinny trying to bulk. Not so well for overweight though.

My upper body day is 10 sets of 10 pullups, the same of handstand pushups, + 4-5 drop sets of weighted dips

This has me interested, I'm skinny guy who's gone from 125 to 160 lb in 3 years but still look very lean and dyel. Would be interesting to see if it helps. Any good resources to learn about calisthenics in depth?

>less prone to injury

it could be as dangerous as lifting
those korean dips the dude is doing not the healthiest to the shoulders.
lots of people fucking sternum on dips
there are many movements not very safe, specially if you dive deep into freestyle

That's a flag pole, iron cross is when you suspend your upper body horizontally with your arms out supported only by your legs. Wicked core exercise.

>functional strength
kys

Attached: Calisthenics.jpg (2481x6600, 1.79M)

Attached: calisthenics 2.jpg (3060x1628, 756K)

AH right, well then I want to do both. Thanks for clearing up, I get the names mixed up often

>>less prone to injury

You recognize injury rates for weight lifting in a gym (especially excluding mega turbo 1RM powerlifting) is some of the lowest of any sport or activity, right?

It actually wouldn't surprise me if calisthenics on a bar is slightly prone to injury from people slipping and hitting their face on the bar.

It doesn't help that there are sometimes multiple names for the same holds.
Like frog pose has 6 names or something.

A god damn elf.

Only 6?

Did it for like a year, yeah gets you into shape if you are a computer nerd but hell I improved my strength way more than that in 3 months lifting weights.

On the same day? I've been doing some cali for 2 months and I usually run 30 minutes after the exercises. Am I killing my gains? Should I do cardio on a different day?

Do it when you’re not atg

I'm a recovering fatty, approaching 1/2/3/4. I've had a few injuries doing lifts so I've been considering calisthenics. Seems more optimal for underweight guys than fatties, is that true?

I donit om different days with HIIT in he mix. Also target abs a lot on cardio days.

You are suposed to do both and improve on your harder progressions (levers and planches)

Ottermode is enough for women, any more isn't necessary for them

Well yeah, it helps if you have to move less weight around but if you're decently strong it should be ok. There are progressions like in lifting so start on the low end if you have to.

>Shrimp squats as the hardest leg progression
This is why so many retards do calisthenics and wind up with dogshit legs. Shrimp squats are not hard, the balance is just awkward, you will not build any leg strength with them. There are plenty of advanced, brutally difficult bodyweight leg exercises , but for some reason people just don't do them.

Literally for autists too scared to use a gym, stay small nerds

>calistupids
also
>functional strength
LMAO

calisthenics for upper body and squats in the gym for lower body, seem ideal?

>There are plenty of advanced, brutally difficult bodyweight leg exercises
>doesn't name any
Come on now

> It's pretty hard for a fat person to start with bodyweight training

It's pretty fucking easy to not be fat, you just need to fast for fuck sake

> tfw calisthenic fag is tronger than bodybuilder fag

youtube.com/watch?v=LYEhr7iJMZw

>There are plenty of advanced, brutally difficult bodyweight leg exercises
like?

Wtf was this explanation? Did you just write a random spiel and think it was coherent?

READ, YOU DOUBLE NIGGER

Lmao there really isn't, there are probably only two that will fuck you up and those are mountain climbing and maybe sprinting. Good cardio too. For all it's worth honestly just get a fucking bike and pedal hard if you are looking for hypertrophy

You’re actually dumb as fuck if you think that that a calisthenics body being lean as fuck doesn’t impress girls. Look at FitnessFAQs or Chris Heria or some other calisthenics youtubers. They’re not massive but you’re retarded if you don’t think they look good

I like this.

Can you guys tell me how to do a pull-up because I tried doing one at my first day at the gym and couldn't; plus my hands hurt since the meat near the fingers gripped the bar and couldn't hold on

Please help me

desu sprint and hill sprints are solid for building legs. also maximum depth step ups are no joke either (ass to box?)

>It actually wouldn't surprise me if calisthenics on a bar is slightly prone to injury from people slipping and hitting their face on the bar.
Never seen that happen, and that includes two years in the military, with bad form encouraged and hundreds of guys trying to crank out as many reps as possible.

Good point. How would you even fail on a bar? You always fail at the bottom of a pullup or dip, not like you just give out and drop like a rock near the bottom of a rep

Based Goobert has you covered
youtube.com/watch?v=mRznU6pzez0

Attached: Scoob Hana.gif (286x303, 54K)

start by just hanging on the bar and also push yourself as much as possible every day to do at least one. that is how i was able to do multiple. what will also help is increasing your arm strength in general so litearlly any upper arm/back workout should be able to help you build that muscle to help you progress

There's that webm of some crossfitter losing his grip while kipping, flies backwards and lands on his back (or neck). But that's crossfit

kipping ain't calisthenics tbhfam

Matrix squats and Nordic raises, and the more advanced variations of said movements, up to the single leg variations which have never been performed with full ROM in recorded history. There are some others too, but those are the two best Staples. There obviously isn't much you can do in the way of hip/spinal loading with just your bodyweight, but you can get your legs strong as fuck.
youtu.be/_OyHDWeJHFM

See

Calisthenics is ok. Combined with weight lifting it's pretty based, on it's own it's just ok.

Well, I learned something new today. Thanks, man.

Attached: calisthenics.jpg (701x683, 72K)

Cheers m8. They're a lot of fun, give em a try. Only warning I'd give is get a generous amount of padding under your knees if you're gonna try Nordic curls, they put a lot of pressure on the knee cap otherwise. And of course for both movements make sure your legs are following a natural line of movement.

I've lived in my current place for 2 years and just found out there is one of those outdoor bodyweight parks a minute away. I'm gonna master it.

Is there an equivalent for SS, Texas, PPL, etc for calisthenics? Like routines I mean

Lift 3 days a week. Do calinsthetics on off days. Ultimate red pill.

>trying to impress girls
come on man
dont step here with that nonsense

>Shoulder workouts are a huge pain in the ass since most of them eventually requires you to do a handstand push up
You absolutely have to do some kind of warm ups for your shoulders, whether you're lifting or not. Not doing so is not necessarily a ticket to snap city but I hope you zoomer lads pay attention to an user closing in on 30, doing a quick warm up for your shoulders and hips can save you from all kinds of bullshit down the road. And even if you are a fatass, by the time you can physically complete the progression to legitimate/perfect form handstand pushups (and every man fucking should) you will have leaned out and acquired a well conditioned body.

Blog post over.

Anyone?

"Functional strength" is the biggest meme ever introduced by the fitness world. Working out in general is literally just physical labor it really doesn't matter what kind of exercise you do all of it is functional. There is literally no resistance training that will have no carryover to everyday life.

>you need to lift weights to get hu-

Attached: file.png (662x498, 642K)

When I try Nordic curls, even negatives, I feel a lot of painful tension in the tendon connecting to the back of the knee
Is this normal for just starting out or am I doing something wrong

Switching one of my lifting days to a bodyweight training. Still doing full body twice a week.

>Leg raises are also an issue since most pull up bars you get for your home are too low unless you are a midget.
Just do dragon flags

youtu.be/AIpsvNAT834

Please anyone

reddit.com/r/bodyweightfitness/wiki/kb/recommended_routine?utm_source=reddit&utm_medium=usertext&utm_name=bodyweightfitness&utm_content=t5_2tf0a

I started a few routines on 50pullups.com and have noticed tremendous improvements in terms of lean muscle definition. Combined with fasted HIIT, calisthenics are the perfect method to get lean for the summer.

50pullups.com
100pushups.net
300squats.com
300situps.com

is it possible to get like body in op natty with only calisthenics?

Attached: 11041736_975127879183774_2185622264615281326_n.jpg (558x500, 31K)

tbqh I lost weight quicker doing 1000 cico and running/lifting 6 days a week than fasting

(OP) #
It is, I came to this conclusion after like 4 years of lifting.
Realised I couldn't really keep up in running and cycling with my old ass parents though tbf they were champions in mountain marathoning.
Spinal compression and joint wear came to mind as well.
Decided I'm strong enough in raw lifts and switched to cardio and functional sports like rock climbing, martial arts, and parkour.
I still go lift twice a week cause diddly is fun and theres only so much cycling can do for your legs.
Those two are from calisthenicmovement on youtube. Good content.

>startbodyweight.com/p/start-bodyweight-basic-routine.html
Doing this now, with 2 3x10 compounds (rotating between squats/incline press and RDL/OHP) afterward.
>roamstrong.com/workout-system/
I like this site for reference but I'm unsure how well a split would work for this type of thing. The program is similar but slightly lacking compared to the above
>antranik.org/bodyweight-training/
Haven't really looked into this one. It seems centered around skill work.

Not with bodyweight. Since you need a constant increase in difficulty/tension on the muscle, you get no gains doing the bodyweight shit. Besides, why not just buy a cheap barbell and lift at home, it's much easier and less time-consuming.

Calisthenics is for homosexuals wishing to spend their day outdoors, shirtless with other dudes and show off to each other.

Literally only works back and abs

These are lame excuses. I started with bodyweight training 6 years ago when I was a fat fuck ( 160kg, 1,88m) There is basically an easier version to get to these excercises for everything you named.

Attached: serveimage.jpg (400x302, 88K)

Do facepulls and increase the angle over time.
You can start by doing them under a piece of furniture like a table or chair.

Attached: maxresdefault.jpg (1280x720, 60K)

Chicken legs.

Attached: Tian.jpg (599x899, 50K)

why is everyone here such an absolutist? I do mostly calisthenics because im a neet turbo autist but I have some weights that I use for progressions I can't do yet / don't like

unironically this

it's for skinny manlets doing meme-muscle-ups and shitty exercises in the hope of being noticed by the girls walking by.

I mean at least have some self respect and be an actual gymnast instead of practicing some bastardized cross-fit faggot version of it.

the mod of this subreddit wrote the overcoming gravity books, pretty legit stuff.

>I mean at least have some self respect and be an actual gymnast instead of practicing some bastardized cross-fit faggot version of it.

I kinda want to do this but think I'd feel gay in a singlet

>suspend your body horizontally only supported by your legs
please, PLEASE draw this in paint for me

Same. Will move to calisthenics after 1/2/3/4.

Then ask a bodybuilder to do 20 pull ups or muscle up, most of them will fail miserably. They are big but don't have any functional strength. Weight (not Power) lifting is ideal for hypertrophy, cali best for funtional strength.

That's not true. Lifting is actually really good for strength purposes, as well as for hypertrophy.

haha it would be amazing to do a butterfly mount and be so impressive your qt gym crush would interrupt her beam routine to mire, right guys hehe it will totally happen

>ask someone who doesn't regularly practice X to do X and they'll fail miserably
thrilling insight user

Has to be good if 99.9%of men can't do it.

>some men cut off their own dick
>had to be good if 99.9% of men can't do it

Thought about the psychology of certain modes of lifting and I remember when I first made a bunch of progress doing 5/3/1 BBB back in the day but had gained 30 pounds and tried to cut, and couldn't get past that minor loss of strength while cutting. Felt like I got so focused on the number that when I lost 20 pounds off my bench I ended up eating and going back to the workout.
I figure calisthenics will have a positive reinforcement, that losing weight will make certain movements easier as I drop weight and allow me to do more reps. Adding that little bit of psychological reinforcement to changing myself back from a fatty.
Just something to consider. I intend to stay lean this time and since illness runs in the family, and I'm already tall now that I have kids my goals have shifted to longevity rather than being big for the sake of being big

>what is a weighted vest

>weighted vest
>bodyweight
pick one

Would absolutely do if the only gymnastics place wasnt only for kids.

>not wearing a leopard print singlet with only one strap
Are you even trying to make it?

Attached: iddIfmP_d.jpg (249x500, 21K)

Attached: A4C55A38-8812-4CAE-87C9-46B7FE2063B2.jpg (892x500, 95K)