Tfw have to choose between aiming for a comfy but low paying job...

>tfw have to choose between aiming for a comfy but low paying job, or work towards a high stress job that pays well enough that I'll be able to save up and retire early
What would you do?

Attached: 1527570438980.jpg (1640x1000, 237K)

Other urls found in this thread:

mrmoneymustache.com/2012/01/13/the-shockingly-simple-math-behind-early-retirement/
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

gimme the comf.

idgaf about the high life, your pic is pretty much my ideal existence

Retiring early is a meme

I'm 31 and never worked a day in my life. Nice inheritance and parents pensions continue to pay me because I'm an "adult dependent" (ie an autist)

Yeah but the high paying job means that if you're frugal, you'll be able to buy some property in quiet suburbs or the countryside and live modestly but freely instead of having to work a 9-to-5.

I want your life. My parents are old boomers. I'm 21 but they are thinking about retiring soon and they clearly want me out of the house ASAP.

Find a sugar daddy on Grindr and live for free in exchange for sexual abuse and house cleaning

Do you really though? I spend every day jerking off to hentai and being depressed that I can't draw

I retired at 30 nd my wife got a medical at 23 we make 98k tax free a year and another 18k after taxes a year get fucked son

lol we know you can't get a job user

>falling for the money meme

fuck off schlomo, give me comf or give me death.

Be a boislut or camwhore and make some money play with your boiclit and bussy

>the money meme
Want to know how I know you've never had to struggle financially?

Nice larp, Gomer

Stay a wagie, browse the internet and play videogames Ignore my dads inevitable calls that I'm going nowhere and I'm a loser and keep in touch with my mom, tell her I love her now and then, all until I die. Pretty simple user.

Attached: f5985hN8jC-12.png (300x250, 80K)

I've already made my choice, the high stress job path.

What job do you have? And what path would you recommend? Please don't say CS.

>Please don't say CS.
Hate to break it to you, but of course it's a programming job.

Really, though, a retirement plan can be done in many ways. Read through the MMM site for ideas. Also, keep in mind that income is only half the battle. Your savings rate is just as important. If you haven't seen the article, here it is:

mrmoneymustache.com/2012/01/13/the-shockingly-simple-math-behind-early-retirement/

As for my recommendations that don't involve CS, I'd say get into the military and do a government job afterward. I'm in a navy town right now and I'm hard-pressed to compete with the benefits that some of the folks here get. Pension, disability, preferential treatment for jobs, zero-down loans, education money, the list is enormous.

>get well paying job
>plan it out to retire after 20-25 years at around 40 years old
>elect to contribute the highest ammount into pension
>work like a slave including all the overtime possible
>invest take-home income in real estate
>18 years later
>suits break the company while lining their pockets
>suddenly no more pension, at all, as it gets raided to "bail out" the company
>this can't be legal?
>it's not
>a few well placed political contributions later...
>NOW it's legal
>suits pat themselves on the back for saving the company (by giving themselves exorbitant bonuses
>43 years old and basically starting off fresh.
>no such thing as a comfortable retirement now
>at least you have the nice house you invested in
>lol, housing market crashes
>well......
>you're now in the same exact boat as your autistic failure of a younger brother (me) who never tried to be successful and did "just enough" to scrape by.

Attached: 1544433584839.png (660x692, 1.05M)

Right. So you have a CS degree? What do you program?
I could get a software job since I have a CS degree and relevant knowledge, but I'm just not interested in it. And I don't have a master's so no fancy data science or ML shit for me.
>military
I tried but they refused because of health problems. Thanks for the link though.
The US is like that. Europe might be a communist shithole with lower wages, but at least there is some degree of worker protection.

>Right. So you have a CS degree? What do you program?
No, my degree is in math. I do Java dev. Honestly, if you can get a job in this stuff and are actually serious about going NEET, I'd do that. Yes, it sucks, but you can always take a year break or so between jobs and live off your cash for a bit. If you lose your mind in the process, it's not worth it.

The biggest thing is just to live SMALL.

>math
Why didn't you go for a quant or actuarial career?
It's not like programming crushes my soul or anything, it's just boring and tedious. What specializations should I be looking at if I want something where I'm mostly left alone but paid relatively well?
>live SMALL
I can be extremely frugal without even making much of an effort. I don't eat a lot, I don't buy clothes, I have no expensive hobbies and I don't travel. Saving money should be easy, but it's even easier when the salary is high.

Depends on how early you could retire. If it's around age 45 go for the high paying job. Any later than 50 means /comfy/ is the way to go.

I have no idea when.
It's just that I'd like to buy a small house or apartment and live there instead of getting fucked by rent for the rest of my life, and to buy some property (as small/remote as it may be) you need some decent money.

>Why didn't you go for a quant or actuarial career?
Well, I liked it well enough. Considered doing actuarial work, but I found work much easier in programming. It's been good to me. I'm only a few years from NEETdom anyway, so it doesn't matter.

Having low pay is pretty stressful, I learned this when I started my own business.

If you truly think that a higher paying job is more stressful and it's not just the wagecuck threads getting to your head (like it was for me), then you could consider getting some training/education that will get you to a field that you feel like you could enjoy. You're not going to excel in a field that you don't enjoy and, at the end of the day, you're going to have to grind something out. That goes for NEET depression, janitors cleaning messes, entrepreneurs with bullshit logistics, or managers with lines of coke. Your future will be filled with monotonous tasks. I think the best way to interface with that is to seek a niche in which you don't mind the monotonous tasks. For example, if you don't mind beta testing games, then video game design would be for you. If you don't mind debugging code, you could be a software developer. If you don't mind doing oil changes, you could go into auto repair.

Attached: 1522597755259.jpg (660x372, 37K)

How do you avoid the code artisan numale jobs, since there are a lot of those in software, and learn to recognize the worthwhile positions?

Not sure, this is the first time I've heard about "code artisan", lol. I just get a job at a company that pays well and doesn't demand too much of my time. The second part is sometimes hard to determine so it's important to talk with current employees.

In my mind go for it, burn the candle on both ends and fuck this shit. climbing up the ladder and making a ton of money to feel superior to other people or have power over them is the goal in life.

low pay till shit hits the fan, then suicide

What are the sectors where the ladder is particularly high and where your natural disposition for corporate bullshit is more important in the mid-to-long run than the name of the college you went to?