Treadmill vs outdoor

Which one is recommended for building endurance and losing weights? Or do both achieve the same goal?

I've been hearing a lot of favorable views on treadmill simply because it's 'too easy' compared to outdoor running?

Though, when I increase the incline and do intervals, wound't that be same as just running outside?

Attached: 5767764353.png (1080x628, 1.16M)

Functionally equal for the goal of losing weight, but I would say running outside benefits from sun and natural air exposure. Most people are criminally underdosed with vitamin D.

Sunlight is not good for you

Get your D somewhere else and put sunscreen on if you're going to run outside

the only running you should be doing are hill sprints

Running on a treadmill takes away the forward propulsion element of running, even incline doesn't simulate this. It's subtle but if you consider each step like a number of reps then you're really missing out. Besides if you're decent and running sub 7 min like you should treadmills are dangerous.
Run outside.

>Sunlight is not good for you
vampires gtfo

Personally I have wimpy ankles even before breaking one of them and a good treadmill seems to be a lot easier on them than running outside.

Getting some sun during a run =/= oiling up and tanning excessively every other day

Sorry for that God awful sentence

If you want to keep your youth, any exposure is bad

Okay bud.

Attached: 1ssa5u.jpg (1155x687, 126K)

Depends on how you like the exercise

I like having the practicality of being able to press a button and zone out to run. Also its easier to monitor progress over time as I can see exactly what speed I am doing and when.
Running in the wild means I only get a set time at set intervals, and that's with tech.
Plus with outside it's easy to cheat yourself into slowing down without even realising it or, very commonly for beginners, to start off way too fast because running at a sensible pace "feels too slow" and so they burn out before making any progress in their fitness.

tl;dr treadmill is good for tracking and stops you getting lazy with it. But if you are training for track or marathon, then nothing beats going outside and doing it.

Attached: 1486626137870.gif (400x242, 1.99M)

I like running on the treadmill and outdoors. I don't think one is better than the other. My outdoor runs tend to be longer. After an hour on the treadmill, I have to get off mostly for mental fatigue because at that point I'd rather do anything else.

personally I prefer outdoors since I feel like I'm actually doing something.

Treadmill though is fun for flat running and forcing a pace on you.

Saw a opossum on my run at the Greenway the other day. Pretty cool. Got within like 3 feet of him.

How loud is a treadmill generally? Thinking of buying one but I live in a block of flats so I don't want to annoy the tenants.

Treadmill impacts your running form by impacting foot contact, force generation, posture, and arm movement. Biomechanically it is different in subtle ways from actual running that likely won't negatively impact you unless you're putting marathon training miles on it. I made the switch to track running and immediately I noticed a difference in the approach

Outside. Treadmills are easier and are kinda dangerous once you become fast.

Also, you'd get sunlight, views, and different types of terrain when running outside. Just make sure to wear sunscreen on your face before headin' out, and I'd suggest not running in peak sun hours

pretty loud desu. If you did use it then id advise only during daylight hours or in a more sound proof room.

If you're on the bottom floor, you'll be fine, if not, get something else.

Why would anyone run in the first place? It's outdated and terrible for you, like sit-ups

Jesus running sub 7 min is my all out sprint speed probably and I’m not even fat

Then you're not running correctly or a female.

this is completely false, I (and the vast majority of people that aren't snowniggers) get horrible skin problems in the winter because it gets too cold for me outside. Within two weeks i go from a pizza face to patrick bateman facial aesthetics because of the better skin health.

I think treadmills are harder on my joints for some reason. I'm sure it depends on form, but it think it's harder to be more gentle with your joints when on the belt. IDK why, maybe because the pace has to be perfect to consistent, maybe because I subconsciously change my stride because it is more confined. All I know is my joints hurt more after treadmill

>even incline doesn't simulate this

yes it does, studies have literally proven it does

How do you compete in races or events without running then?

Extremely based.

Even people who DO get tons of sun are often insufficient in vitamin D anyways.

Sun ages your skin and while this hurts the fee-fees of brainlet who think "all things natural are gud", it's true. Pic related shows the difference

Attached: o-BILL-MCELLIGOTT-SUN-DAMAGE-570.jpg (570x844, 150K)

The average wh*te needs 10 minutes of sun a day to get enough vitamin D. Lack of sunlight isn’t your problem, and if it is, it’s easy to fix.

that woman has a better hip to waist ratio than that man wtf is going on?

I've seen this picture before. If I'm not mistaken, this individual is a trucker who had the sun shine on the same side of their face every day while on their route.

I use treadmill to push my pace past it's limits. I use outdoor to actually test myself and my progress

Are you at the gym and feel like running? Is it raining outside? Hit up the treadmill. Is it a nice day? Go for a run outside. You can do both you faggots.

Attached: idort original.jpg (716x621, 86K)

Treadmill pros:
>pick speed
>keeps you at same speed
>easier to keep cadence
>can focus on time improvements etc easier

Treadmill Cons:
>boring
>no real elevation change (“but the incline setting!” Shut up)
>easier than real running (cheating)

Real Life Running Pros:
>outside
>not boring
>go faster or slow down without spamming the up and down arrows

Real Life Running Cons:
>?

In my opinion treadmill is good to warm up or after a workout to burn fat. If you want to be a better runner and improve your cardio outside is obviously the better choice. To be clear I do both about equal. I just prefer outside.

>Moving or staying in the same place.
I wonder what is better?

here's this retard posting again
and you're me

running outside is better in every way. treadmill pace =/= actual pace. treadmill is way easier

>Trail Running Master Race Coming Through

Attached: Paradise-Valley-old-guy-on-trail.jpg (1226x816, 1.72M)

outdoors because its actual running and treadmill is a weird simulated running
outdoors is also less boring and you get random wind resistance(or assistance)
i like to check the wind speeds on the days i go running and embrace the challenge kinda fun its like rng workouts

actual running is pussy
treadmill is a fleshlight

Treadmill running is like bouncing up and down. Outdoor running is harder due to forward movement, air resistance, and gradient changes.

Either will work for losing weight but if you can do 5k on a treadmill you might not be able to outside.

Outdoors also has a change of scenery and a sense progress rather than moving on the same spot for x amount of time.

Treadmills are better for getting a more consistent and challenging workout

High Incline can kick your ass and drag you around doing it

>if you're decent and running sub 7 min like you should treadmills are dangerous
How are they dangerous? I've run faster than that on treadmills regularly for years and it hasn't been a problem. I've even had team mates fall of them doing 4:30s and they were fine

>>Either will work for losing weight but if you can do 5k on a treadmill you might not be able to outside.

This. Careful not to develop an autistic treadmill adopted step

I am not even sure I still know how to run properly. If I go innawoods and run then the slightest unexpected change in elevation (like a root portruding 10 mm from the ground) can throw me off entirely

If you are serious about running you should have at least a cheap GPS watch which tracks your pace and HR. Also most treadmills are very badly calibrated, so they are in no way more exact than runnung outside.

I'm just starting out running. Treadmill is nice because you can tell exactly how far/fast you were, but outdoors is also nice because you're in nature, the sun is out, the birds are chirping, and it is just a generally nice thing to do. Plus. maybe this is just me, but if I force myself to do 5miles on a treadmill (like I say, i'm just starting out), it doesn't feel as earned as 5miles outdoors.

If anyone has any good tips for running, i'd be very interested

Treadmills : guaranteed constant speed, can be used all year round, get a nice music or even movie while you're at it.

Outdoors : you need to make a conscious effort to push yourself to the speed you're aiming at, very dependent of your area (city running is shit, bit if you've got a park, a forest, or even fields nearby, go for it). Running on dirt road is generally considered better. Running while it's raining torrents, scorching hot or there's frozen ponds all over is dangerous. But great tan if the weather's right.

I'd say run outdoor if the weather permits it and use your treadmills on the days where running outside is dangerous

>Which one is recommended for building endurance and losing weights?
swimming
>Or do both achieve the same goal?
swimming is better cardio workout
>I've been hearing a lot of favorable views on treadmill simply because it's 'too easy' compared to outdoor running?
swimming works your whole body
>Though, when I increase the incline and do intervals, wound't that be same as just running outside?
GO TAKE A FUCKING SWIM

>air exposure
If you live in big city it's more like smog exposure

Sun only damages malnourished people
Sunscreen is toxic trash

>Literal prison torture device
>Our natural environment

Gee I wonder

citation needed.

Last year i started my cardio journey by wheezing my way on a treadmill before or after weight lifting to 5k. This took anywhere from 25 to 35 minutes depending on whether i had to stop or not. After many weeks and consistently running 5k's at 25 mins on the treadmill I started exploring longer distances 8k's and 10k's. Once i breached the 10k mark i bought myself some real running shoes that support my feet properly and started running outside. Now i dont know what the limit is. I went from my longest run being 13k on a trwadmill to 21.2k outside without any ill effects, i finnished the 21.2k in 1hr56 which im incredibly proud of after coming back from bad ankle injury 2 years ago and before that never running more than a basic bleep test. Feels good. Strava is good to keep track of what you are doing, comparing with others and motivation in general with the challenges and achievments. Especially useful when coupled with a HRM. But initially treadmill was great for me to "learn" on. Learning being working out how to breath and endure anything above a km.

The only time I ever use the treadmill is if it's too cold outside or if I'm short on time. Otherwise, running outside, especially if you can find a nature tail, is vastly superior to the treadmill. Fresh air, sunshine, trees, it's the best. In fact, I'm gonna go for a run right now.

Attached: balloon.gif (495x525, 2.36M)

Fork put downs
Better diet
Long walks every day

That's the easiest and best way to lose weight.
Anything else, unless you are doing it as a hobby, or want to build a certain type of endurance or body type, is just wearing your body down.

have fun user

If I can't run outside I row indoors.

>trail run once
>dozens of ticks on me when I get home
New England master race

>he's so slow ticks can catch him

Hope you got checked out for lyme disease user.
That biological weapon factory that released lyme disease onto the planet is located in that part of the country so you might have it or symptoms of it and not realize or it's been normalized in your community so you don't truly know wha'ts going on .

yeah right, in equator midday sun fully naked I suppose.

Where do you get that from?

I have a Colleague that prefers to run on Treadmills only, he literally goes to the Gym to run on the Treadmill, instead of just run in the Forest for example.

I run outside and invited him to run together after work.

So we did and he constantly lammented that he can't keep up and that it's way harder to actually run outside. His feet are not even remotely used to all the different angles they get contact on the Ground and he had really sore Legs the next day, even though we did not go that fast as I let him command the pace.

So if you actually wan't to be able to be an awesome fast and enduring runner, get out and get going.
If you are in it for the Metabolic reasons only, go swimming ffs.

Attached: tread vs track.jpg (820x917, 271K)

>not boring
I see this every time and it's a god damn lie. Do people spend so little time outdoor nowadays getting out for a jog is considered exciting ? It's fucking dreadful and if you're in the mood for "enjoying the view" that means you're not running fast enough

>tfw I want to go for a run but I can't because I am having waves of diarreah because last night I got drunk and ate a whole jar of pickles and drank all the juice

Attached: flat and retarded pepe with slighly open mouth.jpg (240x240, 6K)

maybe at your 9mph pace, fat fuck. Go ask somebody who runs a 5:xx mile if they get bored running it

Do you honestly think a fat guy can pull off 9 mph ?

>Running on a treadmill takes away the forward propulsion element of running.

This is some retraded shit. You have obviously not taken any physics courses. The only forward propulsion is from accelerating and that only happens is when you first start which is next to negligible. If you're taking about wind resistance that is also almost negligible and if you have a fan in front of you at a very very low setting(basically to move air at the speed of your run) then you basically simulated that too.

>Sunlight is not good for you

Attached: tenor.gif (292x322, 1.18M)

You're a fucking animal, user.

>You have to appreciate the lengths to which researchers had to bicycle along with the runner and hold the large weather balloon type bag, while keeping the runner on target speed. I hope he was wearing a helmet. Science is not always easy!

So Heart Rate difference/similarity somehow in your mind equals having the same muscular load and/or training impulse.
It literally just compares the load it puts on your cardiovascular system.

Link the entire study at least so we can read the rest.

Last summer I was with a friend hiking up a hill.
A guy similar to this one just fucking breezed past us.

dude you're fuckin' retarded, all im gonna say. fucking hobby joggers

>Also most treadmills are very badly calibrated,
source? That sounds like literally nothing at all.
And my point was, yes you can get a gps, but that will give you an approximation based on distance and time.
A treadmill will tell you, in black and white, the exact speed you are running at THAT exact time.

>Do people spend so little time outdoor nowadays getting out for a jog is considered exciting
I work outside, treadmills are just dull. That said I run in the countryside so I can imagine running in town is just as dire as a treadmill

running on a treadmill is horrible for one reason, imo: variance in pace
with running outside, your pace can vary in a split second, whereas you are tethered to a pace on a treadmill until you reach forward to hit whatever button you want

for losing fat, outside >>> treadmill

Dude, I would get a Peleton. You can compete with others online and see epic views of nature on the integrated big screen monitor

Attached: treadmill-lowres-1297.jpg (636x424, 68K)

>see epic views of nature
or just go outside?

Good point

>running on a treadmill is horrible for one reason, imo: variance in pace

depends who you ask.. Some people consider that the treadmills biggest strength

if you're running with people who are running at a 2:15 pace sure, its a little easier to manage pace by sticking with them, however if you run on your own its a bigger pain in the ass to manage pace. A treadmill forces you to run at a certain speed, and thus gaining comfort with that speed. That translates hugely to race day. Also doubt you're really going at those speeds outside of a track

Outdoor running, if you spend all your time running on treadmill the moment you try doing it in real life situations you will get fucked up by how hard the soil is compared to a treadmill.

Would you guys recommend running over cycling?

I am a bit autistic about this topic. It bothers me when people run on the treadmill when there’s a perfectly good sidewalk or trail to run.

It’s a beautiful day out and while running my 5k of the day, I saw people in my apartment complex gym running on the treadmill. It’s breezy and 76 degrees. What’s wrong with these people?

Lots of shit can happen outside. Getting hit by cars, approached by questionable strangers, dogs, bears etc... it's just safer on a treadmill

Bunch of fucking babies I swear to god
People need to go out and get some germs in their pathetic flourescent lit lives

>mfw that doesnt happen in france

Attached: th.jpg (474x315, 18K)

Do you only think in extremes? Which is LESS BORING? Treadmill or outside? Not boring doesn’t mean fucking exhilarating.

Attached: 1544318273177.jpg (364x387, 6K)

His gym doesn't have an indoor track. Get a load of this faggot .

Also
>too cold outside
>get sick
>too hot outside
>get sunstroked
>rains outside
>can't run (or play-pretend rocky and get pneumonia)
>large track needed

Running on a treadmill is much more convenient.

You are not intelligent. It is considerably easier to run flat on a treadmill than to run the same speed flat on the ground.

just because it has the same energetic cost doesn't mean it excercise the same muscles in the same way. a treadmill will leave muscle parts of your legs and feet underused because you are not propulsing yourself forward.

Treadmill on the balcony.

In France you get jumped by immigrants instead

If you need to lose weight cycling or swimming (indoor or outdoor) is going to be much more effective because you'll be able to sustain the effort much longer and train almost every day. I'll suggest you start running only when you have a reasonable body fat (no more than 20%). If you can't afford a bike or going to the swimming pool go walking.

finally someone who understands.

Attached: maxresdefault[1].jpg (1280x720, 97K)

>In France you get jumped by immigrants instead

Attached: large.jpg (800x450, 61K)

You forward propulse at every step on land.
The amount of forward propulsion is reduced for each step on a treadmill is reduced.

Hence back side mechanics form is vastly different running on land vs treadmill. It's why high performance runners, if it's raining or poor weather, run on a self propulsed curved treadmill rather than the motorised flat treadmill.

Attached: maxresdefault.jpg (1280x720, 71K)

run on tread mill and get shin plints

Running is a great exercise but interval training (run-jog) is better at training endurance and improve running. Runing on uneven surfaces (trail) is clearly better, being outdoor is better as a whole.
For weight loss you need to engage in a more stenuous activity like heavy lifting (it's in the sticky)

Also, sun damage is cumulative and permanent. Always be in the shade.

>wakes up in the morning
>oh shit, do I wear my blue socks or red socks?! This is life changing, better ask the internet
>Now I don't know if I should have tea or coffee, what are the benefits of each Jow Forums ?
>etc.

Attached: 1525800229671.jpg (259x365, 53K)

Being in shade doesn't protect you, you're still exposed.
You can reduce the damage from sun by using sunscreen or choosing the time of the day you go outside.
I'm not sure I remember it well but it was something between 10 am and 2pm with more intense exposure and later in the afternoon/evening with less.