Any ways on how to improve your mental strength during cardio...

Any ways on how to improve your mental strength during cardio? Some days I can run 3+ miles just fine when i'm really in the groove, others I fall flat after 0.4 miles. I want to always be in the groove, how do you guys do it?

Attached: 124757_00_2x.jpg (1184x789, 135K)

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=atxYe-nOa9w
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

Anime songs.

Music. I'm a fucking slug until I listen to some hard rock.

Attached: 1555029230696.png (175x228, 73K)

I always have music rolling

Don't listen to the other replies user, music is for hobby joggers. One way to build up mental strength is to force yourself to keep going even after you're dead. It doesn't matter how slow, just keep jogging. Hills help too, but experience is the biggest thing.

If I absolutely have to, will stopping to catch my breath and continuing my run help with improving? I have a bad habit of ending my run when I stop.

Stopping won't ruin your improvement, just try to get running again as soon as you can. Try to find somewhere interesting to run too, being interested in seeing more scenery can help.

If you want the cardio before trying to build up your mental side, I've always found treadmills to be mentally easier. That being said, I know people who feel differently, and it's not necessarily a strategy I'd recommend.

[spoiler]I've been building my cardio for 4 months. I recently had a fitness test and did horribly. I'm trying to find a way to conquer my anxiety whenever I test. I do so well on my free time but I'm horrible at testing.

Not really, slow down to get your breath. Or start walking but stopping can fuck your mental state.

And add some games to your running on boring days, find an obstacle course you can do or do sprint games. Lots of ways you can spice it up so it isn't just run 3 miles on pavement.

Chill David Goggins

The mind gives up well before the body.
I suffer from this too.
For me, it’s the music band switching the incline

run slower, condition more, do various intervals

Running for a straight whatever mile is useless

Do something like this:
Day1: slow paced longer run for conditioning, like 6 miles
Day2: warm up then start with Time based intervals, meaning: 20 sec sprints, 40 sec cooldowns, repeat ad nauseam, cool down
Day3: warm up then Distance based intervals (100 m sprints - one mile sprints, with cooldowns repeat)
Day4: Tempo run - warmp up, run at 70-80 percent for a longer distance, like 4 miles, cooldown

Etc.

Running however gets boring

Yeah, that sucks. I've been racing poorly recently too. Visualization helps for a lot of people: think of different scenarios you could be in and how you can conquer them. Caffeine helps me a little, but it'll probably be bad for you if your problem is anxiety. Are you running against other people or alone for the test?

I'll screenshot that and give it a go tonight, very informative.
Running alone. We test on an outside track so the visualization aspect isn't there. I can do 10 laps on a good day but whenever I test I get really fucking tired on the 3rd.

I'll never understand why Jow Forums recommends HIIT for literally everyone. Training for a mile? HIIT. Running an ultra? HIIT. Wife making you mad? HIIT. Fast twitch muscles should really only be something you train once you have a base to get you through the rest of the race. Intervals are good for cardio, but building the right muscles is probably more important for a lot of beginners

Not him, but HIIT is pretty much the hardest thing for the mind, way harder than lifting or endurance. Sometimes I feel like I would rather die than sprinting another ten seconds.
Training HIIT will also improve your endurance, but training your endurance won't help much for high intensity.

What are you even trying to say? I did not recommend him HIIT, I recommended him to try implementing more variations into his runs, its up to him if he chooses to run intervals, tempos, or lower intensity slow paced. It's just that there is not much more you can do about your runs to make it more variable.

Fast reps might help your endurance some, but it's definitely not the best way if endurance is your main goal. In terms of the mental aspect, I would argue that 800 or mile reps are a lot harder. Regardless, from what OP has said, I don't think that interval training is the best training for him right now. You need a milage base before you start distance workouts, and if he's having trouble getting through runs, then running more is going to be the best remedy.

Checked btw

Also, @OP, if you have time, doing 2 runs a day a couple days a week might help if you have time. It gives you time to rest and makes milage easier

You recommended 20 second sprints and 100 meter reps, which I don't think are optimal for most beginners. I see what you're saying about variation though. Maybe longer reps or varied routes or routes with hills instead?

100 meters reps was just an example for him to illustrate. I would say it helps more than just saying hurr do intervals.

I specifically stated longer conditioning runs slow paced and tempos. Learn to read

Back when I did a lot of running I found that it really helped on those days you just didn’t want to to have a Drill Sargeant with a Black Hat chase you around screaming at you.

Why runners look like shit?

Attached: aq1g2PR_700b.jpg (700x921, 117K)

they don't lift
america n football players run a whole lot too yknow

think about how awesome you'd look if you pushed through and how pathetic you are when you slow down

Run with someone better than you. They will run faster and not stop so you can force yourself to keep going. I run a LOT better in a group or with someone else than I do alone

Any short to middle distance runner worth their salt also lifts.

Imagine your ancestor pack marching up some God forsaken muddy South East Asian trail with his rifle to fight the Japs and ask yourself what he'd think of your faggot ass.

HIME!

That falling flat in 0.5 miles ia your cardio changing from sedentary to active. Push another 0.5 miles, focus on "over breathing", ans just keep going. Just have to tell yourself it will go away soon.

>Hard rock

Attached: 1533657684822.gif (200x170, 34K)

Based

youtube.com/watch?v=atxYe-nOa9w

>guy on the right is heel-striking
good lord

I would add doing a walk/run strategy is good for building a base as well.