Cardio Thread

First time I have ridden my road bike for longer distances in a while and although it felt like I was in pretty good shape all around my calves started cramping and I had to turn around. Anybody got an idea why my calves where the first thing to give when the rest of my body felt like I could go atleast twice the distance without much problem ? I really wonder if I have been neglecting them in the gym because I am a decently strong guy and can squat 3pl8 for reps (slightly over 4pl8 1RM) so my calves shouldnt be that weak right ?

Also general cardio and cycling thread I guess.

Attached: PAY-A-young-woman-professional-cyclist-has-racked-up-a-huge-following-on-social-media-with-non-cycli (615x624, 57K)

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=O9lLSdnC-U0&t=851s&ab_channel=PhilDaru
stevehoggbikefitting.com/bikefit/2011/02/seat-height-how-hard-can-it-be/
youtube.com/watch?v=c5RmFuhMW3E
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

BRING THE TOILET BEARER

strength ≠ stamina
Seems normal. Happens to me every time the weather clears up and I get back on the saddle again.

i do this guys stuff and track jogging
youtube.com/watch?v=O9lLSdnC-U0&t=851s&ab_channel=PhilDaru

>tfw no beautiful cycling gf who will outrace you then let you massage her thick thighs after a long ride

We're gonna make it, bro

That depends a lot on your pedaling techique and where you have the pedal-axle in relation to your foot.
Also most people neglect their calves a lot indeed, always looks funny when their upper body looks decent, but they stand on toothpicks...

i don't do cardio and i don't know anything about cardio

i have no running shoes so i'd like to use the elliptical at my gym

my goals are just to improve my mental health and cardio (i'm an ex-smoker; i still vape), and just to get a small deficit a few days a week on my body recomp

do i need some kind of program to improve my cardio health? or should i just go and do it for 30 minutes at a light intensity and over time turn up the resistance according to how i feel? i'm doing SL so i get a bit of leg exercise already and don't want to wear out the wheels in between lifting days

Attached: DwpuW0wUYAAfIv_.jpg (400x400, 16K)

better than haemorhoids

Attached: 1548188109069.png (1653x1023, 1.1M)

Attached: 1556412363084.jpg (1224x1842, 246K)

I just started running this week any tips for first timers? I lift mon,wed and fri and run on Tues,Thurs and sat does this schedule seem like a bad idea? I also don't bring water with me and I'm following the couch to 5k schedule. I average 2.5k in 20 mins and feel pretty good for somebody that used to be severely asthmatic

Attached: 1553637442180.jpg (608x800, 137K)

Attached: 1553556913711.png (1039x1540, 1.54M)

bikes are fun

Attached: nintchdbpict000353181166.jpg (897x897, 127K)

figure out what heart rate = 70% for you
(Max HR - min HR) = Heart Rate Reserve
70% x HRR + MIn hr = optimal Heart Rate

Do a ton of workouts where you keep your heart rate at or under this optimal heart rate. This then builds the cellular machinery that metabolizes fat with oxygen. ton = 2+ hours per day (build up to it).

The end goal is that when you have to put out maximum effort, a large percentage of the effort is supplied by this fat burning cellular mechanism, so your glycogen stores aren't used up as fast, so you can go harder, longer.

Can you tell me about the benefits of cycling OP? I can't run due to feet issues but I'm still able to do something that's less impactful on the feet. How cheap is a bike?

I'm a runfag that is just getting into bikes for my recovery days so I can't really judging quality.
Decathlon (euro Walmart for sporting goods) has bikes starting at about 150 €
I won't vouch for their quality however they seem to have a generous refund policy and everything I bought from them so far checks out (mostly running and hiking gear)

>First time I have ridden my road bike for longer distances in a while
>first time
Well duh?
Also cardio cramping is all dehydration, drink more water, and eltrolite tablets (or Gatorade) if going longer than 50 minutes.
This.
I thought she was one armed from the thumbnail, not sure why I was disappointed., also /n/

OP, you probably have v. tight calves. Stretch more.
BUT ALSO
your saddle may be too high. And that's just a "muh knee angle" function but also has a lot to do with general hamstring flexibility.
Either way if your toes are pointed at any point in the pedal stroke, and/or you are underutilizing your glutes in the pedal stroke, your calves and quads are doing the brunt of the work that your hams and glutes *should* be doing.
My immediate advice with no more detail would be
>lower your saddle
>engage your glutes and hamstrings more when pedaling
>stretch your calves
do this by focusing on generating power through the 4-8 o'clock section of the stroke.
"Like scraping mud off the bottom of your shoe" is a cue that works for some people.
If you don't have foot retention it's more of an issue.

>And that's __NOT__ just a "muh knee angle" function
fixed, i'm a fucking retard
stevehoggbikefitting.com/bikefit/2011/02/seat-height-how-hard-can-it-be/

thx for the link faggot

Attached: 1544407278980.jpg (599x545, 54K)

Just keep at it.

I started running last year doing my local parkrun which took me around 42 minutes with several stops, I’m not even a fat fuck.

When you eventually get sub 30 mins or such a great feeling. It’s helped me lose fat so my gains in the gym look better. I regret not doing more cardio earlier.

Cycling is just a ton of fun and one of the few types of cardio I actually enjoy ever since I got a decent road bike. Burns a bunch of kcal and it is nice getting outside and exploring the area on your bike.

thanks for the advice I will look into that

How does one ease themselves into it? I live in bumfuck nowhere so the views are pretty shit for me, I also don't feel like cycling along a very narrow highway.

Looking to get a new bike lads

Do I go road, hybrid or gravel?

Attached: d835dac3b34b32c1ce2500921c323.jpg (1199x739, 92K)

well I live in europe so there are bike lanes in the bigger cities and in bumfuck nowhere there isnt much traffic so riding on the road is not really a huge concern for me. The way I got to build up a bit of endurance is that I used the bike for everyday commuting to the gym, it has the added benefit of getting some cardio in and serves as a nice warmup for squats. Granted my commute is quite short but when I feel like going a bit further I can just take a detour on my way home from the gym.

Also I honestly think you dont have to ease yourself into it much, just get a bike you really want to ride and you will find excuses to get out and go on short rides which eventually will turn into longer rides.

Like lifting, cardio gains come with regularity. After c5k, if you choose to increase mileage, do so slowly. I think the recommended is no more than a 10% increase a week.

If you have a store in your town that offer it, go get fitted for some shoes. I recently picked up some new balances from a local running store for a few dollars cheaper than online and it was an overall good experience.

Are bikes expensive? I saw some at my local buyback centre, but they're not road bikes.

what do you want to do with it ? just for daily commuting ? also do you live in the city or will you be riding on trails or any gravel ?

I wasnt really sure where to really discuss cycling and other forms of cardio really. I guess for bikes /n/ makes sense but if I wanted to discuss triathlon training which I might want to get into I am really unsure which board is appropriate, I figured Jow Forums is the closest ?

Cycling seems to get people some really polygon looking calves.

Depends, personally I would recommend getting atleast a decent road bike if you want to get into it. Which means a solid aluminium frame and a shimano 105 groupset. So something like the Canyon Endurace AL 7.0 is generally good value and a great bike. Costs around 1000$ so not exactly cheap, you can go cheaper but if you really want to do some serious riding I think thats the money you should spend.

Or if you want to get a budget bike maybe look into fixed gear bikes ? Never had one myself but they seem fun and because they have fewer components you can get good quality bikes for cheap.

Also to add to that what I forgot to mention is that you obviously dont need a 1000$ road bike if you just want to use it for commuting or short rides. This is just the entry level if you want to get serious about it as in actual cardio training and serious endurance workouts.

Can you listen to music while riding?

I personally dont do it, at first I thought I would be bored out of my mind but turns out I am actually not and evne on longer rides I dont miss it. But I guess you can listen to music while you ride, I just wouldnt do it in the city or when there is a lot of traffic as I dont feel it would be safe since hearing approaching cars is kinda important. Out in bumfuck nowhere where there arent intersections and a shitton of traffic all the time sure, why not.

Attached: 1556371896065.jpg (478x597, 152K)

Alright thanks for your advice user.

BRRRRRRRRRAP

Attached: Sniffy.jpg (1080x1350, 278K)

another beginner cycling question
just started doing it for cardio
the contact points with the saddle are really painful the day after riding
should i give it some rest and try again? just keep at it and after a while, see about changing seat? or just go ahead and get a more padded seat asap?
thank you

nice post
question about this workout - the first part, presumably the warm up - how long are you supposed to do each of those for? (toe walking, heel walking, side stepping w band etc) thank you

first time I rode my road bike my ass was hurting quite a lot. I changed saddle height and made sure that the angle was right as well. still had some discomfort but it got a bit better. you will get used to it but you might want to get some padded cycling shorts instead of outright changing the saddle so soon because chances are most road bike saddles are uncomfortable if you arent accustomed to them.

also scan the road ahead of you and if you know you are gonna ride over a bump stand on your pedals and absorb the shock with your legs and arms instead of having the stem/saddle ram up your ass. it seems obvious but if you dont conciously do it uneven road can really make you hurt over time.

it has nothing to do with "neglecting" them at gym... more like if you have overworked your legs. but probably your position on bike is bad , seat too high maybe that caues you to extend your ankle thus exhausting calves

Attached: 2009-long-curly-hairstyle-from-natalie-portman-1.jpg (405x594, 56K)

thanks, great suggestions, will do

there are ergonomical saddles available for those reasons, wider, no nose. usually soft saddles are worse

amateur cyclist tend to have saddle too low. and then people with road bikes (amateur occasional riders) almost always have saddles too high

Amateur cyclists need to fuck off with their faggy ass tights.

Holy fuck the fucking toilet on this bitch

This user gave good advice, but I'd look for something in the $350-400 range. It'll be an entry level hybrid, but it's still going to be the nicest bike you've ever rode. (Assuming you've just had Walmart bikes in the past like most kids.)

I say this is someone that puts 150+miles a week on a Trek FX1. It was either $400 out the door, and it got me into riding.

I will say, I'm just at the tipping point of where a nicer bike would be a huge boon, though. I commute 30 total miles a day, so it's the upper end of where I'd say commuter/hybrid bikes are good. There are occasions where I'd enjoy drop bars, disk brakes, and another few gears, but they're few and far between.

What cardio do I do at home? Burpees?

pic related would be an option. otherwise you could ofc just get a treadmill or a home trainer, if you have a road bike maybe get rollers ?

Attached: morning.png (735x1102, 103K)

you're clearly not squatting to depth.

srsly tho i've been wanting to get into cycling for ages now but i know it's like a minimum 1k USD investment.

one of the latest athleanx vids has a nice at home routine

>but i know it's like a minimum 1k USD
How into it do you want to be? Like I said, you can buy a pretty passable bike for $350. The rest of it is all stuff you just sort of grab as you need. I bought my light later, my shorts came after, pump and bag for spare tubes was after.

You don't need an aero bike and a lycra suit to drop 15lbs and get your heart rate up. If you're just riding for health and to get out, a hybrid will suit you fine.

I've even managed to do some very light trail riding with mine. Granted, I wouldn't hit anything too techy, but a few root patches and some 2 foot drops? Yeah, it can take that.

50 miles cycled today, and managed it in 4 hours. That doesn't include about 15 minutes of break time.

I didn't pack any snacks and only one litre of water

In my long rides, I've seen couples cycling together. There is no words to describe my jealousy. Each one I've seen has been beautiful

I was on my phone
this is it
youtube.com/watch?v=c5RmFuhMW3E

use a bike trainer in the winter
road biking is too dangerous on the road.

Fuck you, it's perfectly fine for a cyclist to take a lane if they feel that it's a danger for overtaking.

This

Explain her sport? Why only a bikini and where can I join in to cycle behind her all day?

Decathlon have a decent bike actually. Sure the cheap ones will work, but they'll be heavy material and the shifters not to accurate. But if you can save up for a mid range one, the components on them are decent.

Yes, use bone conduction headphones that don't go in your ear so you can still hear traffic.

The first month I started riding, my ass hurt. But then my body adapted and now it never hurts anymore. It'll only hurt if I take a few months off then start riding again.

Even the Btwin 100 seems decent for the money asked (259).

Who /heavybag/ here

You probably need electrolytes in your bike bottles, OP, and/or you're not getting enough water.

Why can't I just jump rope? Why do I need to add all that other shit. I just want to skip

I would avoid cycling in general. It's quite dangerous, particularly if you ride on the road. Drivers hate cyclists and many go out of their way to hit them. Trails have their own concerns, mountain lions and bears among them.

>Drivers hate cyclists and many go out of their way to hit them. Trails have their own concerns, mountain lions and bears among them.

Where the hell do you live ? What are you even talking about ?

Real talk: bike shorts. Buy them. Padded seats aren't great.

Also you could buy a used road bike real cheap. A nice 80's road bike with modern pedals and tires is a great investment for as little as you can swing.