What can Jow Forums tell me about martial arts? I've been thinking about aikido since there is a association near me

What can Jow Forums tell me about martial arts? I've been thinking about aikido since there is a association near me.

Attached: 1555194571330.jpg (850x850, 140K)

Attached: martial arts.jpg (1632x1375, 333K)

I'm curious too. I want to take up a striking sport like Muai thai or boxing but I dont want long term injuries. Is it basically guaranteed, and something like BJJ safer?

lol got to kyokushin karate

I have a little bit of experience in Judo (around two years) and kickboxing (about half a year). I have done a lot of other sports throughout the years and I can safely say that Judo was the most exhausting shit I've ever done. I'm sure it depends on the gym you go to but sparring (randori) can be fucking tough. It's lots of fun though and I think it's very effective. Only con is that you don't learn any striking or kicking techniques.
Kickboxing is a lot of fun as well and less traditional (in case you don't like all the bowing or other rules and "cultural" stuff that comes with japanese martial arts). The con for me was that in kickboxing the sparring is further from a serious situation than in judo because kicking someone in the head is really painful for them, even with headgear and all that. And you're fucked as soon as somejone closes the distances and tries to grapple or the fight goes to the ground.
I'd say that no matter what martial art you do, you'll definitely have a huge edge over an inexpirienced fighter (so >90% of the population) so just do whatever seems the most fun to you.

listen, if you want to be able to fight, you need full contact sports, if you want to be in good shape full contact sports are waaaaaaaaay better for that, if you want to learn cool techniques to impress that qt3.14 tomboy in your art class and bully her bf who currently bullies you, full contact will work, if you want to do some sports, full contact is better, there is a tiny amount of techniques in aikido that you could apply in real combat but only if you actually learn how to fight, aikido does not have sparring, wich means that you will never learn how to fight in aikido. don't go to a place out of how cheap or how close they are to you because you migth waste your ttime, like with aikido, ofcourse those are aspects to consider but they should never be your main concer, it should be how good the trainers are and what can you get out of it depending on your goals, go look for a boxing, muay thai, kickboxing,mma, wrestling, jiujitsu, judo, kyokushin gym, try them, most gym gives a free trial leasson, see wich one do you like the most and join there, even if it means driving for 1 hour or so it will be so much more worth it

Got judo, Isn't judo mostly using your body weight? I'm 6ft 2 but I'm always confronted by guys that are bigger and taller than me, 6ft 4 and above, I'd rather do something that requires a strong punch or kick that will take them down rather than wrestling or judo, if those guy get a hold of me I'm fucked

I was doing aikido for about a year when I was a kid.
I liked it very much, I can say.
Though, as this post says you probably won't learn how to fight with aikido.
I think that's the most dangerous thing about aikido, after a short time, students usually think they can stand up to someone in a fight, and then get seriously hurt.

Other than that, aikido is pretty much an 'art', and less a fighting technique.
If you're more of a peaceful guy, and would like to learn some moves, I'd definitely go for it.
Also, it's not USELESS as a fighting style, but you won't gain experience in actual fighting with it. If you ever want to fight, you'd probably want to combine the techniques you learn there with something else.
There's also a martial art called 'Real Aikido' or something like that, which is a bit more woke.

There's some stuff in aikido that can be applied to an already strong base in wrestling, judo, or jujitsu, but doing just aikido is putting the cart in front of the horse.

Use their bodyweight. Judo lets you seriously fuck up someone taller than you. Whoever has the lowest center of gravity is harder to throw and has an easier time throwing the taller guy.

bumping for this

Why is it split into weight classes then? Some of these guys are 80lbs heavier than me, I'm only 205lbs

>do you have a lot of money?
>(yes) kickboxing
>(no) kyokushin
The fuck? Do I live in reverse country or does the author of this chart?

Just found a kyokushin gym near my house that is relatively inexpensive.

Attached: 1548647555501.png (554x720, 311K)

>did you swallow a broomstick as a kid
I laughed. Seriously though, wing chun is fun

What are your specific goals, user? If it's for legitimate fighting, the more popular styles like judo are fine, if it's for overall fitness - I actually recommend tai chi. It focuses on breathing, body control, and joint health. I don't go to the YMCA old people class but do go to a martial arts school that also teaches it as a course. Unironically I get a good pump after a half hour class, shit also saved my knees.

I actually recommend tai chi to anyone who is fighting anyway, a lot of the basic fundamentals for the style are practiced by the majority of successful fighters from UFC to international martial arts tournaments.

do you want to compete? if you do you will only get brain damage in striking if you get a load of damage on each fight and fight too often, if you don't want to compete, just do some sports, then you have little to worry about, in all martial arts there is the presence of injuries, but you will never get a injurie so bad it will affct the rest of your life unless that you are seriously looking to fuck yourself up or someone wants to seriously injure you, while striking arts might "affect your brain" grappling arts will affect your joints but only if you are a dumbass and don't tap out when you should, amateurs that don't even compete don't have reasons to worry about injuries or brain damage, you will never fight enough to get to that point unless that you compete and if you compete you will only get to that point if you get beat so hard everytime and don't get enough rest

Aikido is the useless shit ever. Try muay thai, then go to mma.

Combat sports are split into weight classes because if you remove as many extraneous variables as you can the difference between the winners is more likely to be skill.

If you're living somewhere you're constantly getting into fights with 285 pound, 6' 4" men, maybe you should move, because you aren't going to learn enough martial arts to survive that.

You're also a little hard to believe.

Learn a legitimate fighting skill. There is a bunch of stuff around me. BJJ, Kyokushin karate, kendo, judo, etc etc etc.
The best case scenario for me would be able to take a course combining a grappling art like judo or BJJ and combine it with a striking art like Kyokushin karate

Are there any kung fu schools near by? A lot of them also cover grappling in their courses along with striking styles, since shaolin is made up of five different styles overall.

Yeah as a matter of fact there is a few kung fu places around that advertise "shaolin." I'm really trying to just find a good place that has serious adult classes, but that seems to be a task in itself.

I would check those out. They tend to have the slightest spiritual side when talking about energy in the body, but otherwise they're all generally pretty good and similar. Watch out for cults though, and always verify lineage of the school (for any of the schools, not just kung fu) if you can. That'll weed out a lot of fake places.

Just watched a video of kyokushin knockouts. Those mother fuckers don't play around.

Attached: 1552353516132.gif (533x300, 136K)

Aikido isn't the best first martial art to learn. A lot of the technique rely in people being the same height and general size as you. This works pretty well in Asian countries but in any western country you'll have to modify the technique on the fly depending on your opponents size relative to your own.

I'd avoid dojos that teach Taekwondo or Karate since they are focused almost entirely on kids. A better option would be joining a boxing gym or doing BJJ/Judo since these are comprised mainly of adults.

Too bad there's no IFK affiliate dojo in my city. There are a few, but I'd have to go check them out in person to make sure they're not kids playgrounds (although I feel like kyokushin attracts more adults than kids because of the full contact bit).