Does anyone here have any experience running with these? How was your transition from a traditional running shoe...

Does anyone here have any experience running with these? How was your transition from a traditional running shoe? Have you experienced any troubles?

I'm interested in trying these after years of having tried and tried again to get into running.
I have "good" running shoes, I've optimized my form, slowly eased into a running routine, ran on soft forest trails rather than concrete etc, yet every single time I end up with shin splints or some other type of pain.

I've read up on these shoes and barefoot running in general, and people having similar experiences/symptoms to mine have described these to be good solutions.

Attached: vibram.jpg (1024x683, 355K)

No competitive runner wears those. Its a meme. Bait?

From what I understand you have to completely change your running form with these otherwise it will fuck your feet up

Never tried five fingers, but i run in Vivo barefoot shoes,, so the same principle, i swear by them now, you just gotta take it easy at first, i transitioned over a few pairs of shoes, slowly got more minimal with each pair, traditional running shoes have a heel-toe drop of around 11mm (this is the height difference between your heel and your toes) so i started with some 6mm, then some 4's, then i got the vivos, but you can absolutely just go straight to them. Main thing is making sure when you run you land basically on the ball of your foot, if you're not used to this, it'll kill your calves at first, but it's the mist natural running stance. Also with no padding your feet might hurt for a while, until they get stronger, just take it easy with the transition

Are they even allowed in competitions?

You shouldn't be heel striking anyway

Try higher drop or lower drop shoes.
Don’t get vibrams
If you want to run barefoot then buy some running sandals, vibrams are stupid and pointless
Stretch your calves
Strengthen the front calf muscle
Foam roll
Don’t push off so hard with your toes when you run
Land midfoot
Land with foot under knee
Don’t run too fast
Soak in a bath after a hard run
Take recovery runs or days off sometimes
Run 2 short runs instead of 1 to boost recovery on easy days

There are lots more things, but I doubt you’ve covered everything that should be checked before switching shoes.

But like I said, get running sandals if you’re going to go the barefoot route

One of many autism symptoms is landing with the heel when running

Tried them for three weeks. Hated them. Made my feet sore. Started getting ingrown nails. My mother loves them though. She uses them for her daily runs. They're not for everyone, so try before you buy.

>giving up inches of height for this

That's still in debate

Lol

>can I run without arch support?

6'2“ 215 lbs

Should I even be running at this weight?

>humans never ran before shoes were invented

Humans were not meant to run, it breaks our legs

Yes we were, we were just meant to run on our toes and not our heels. Like most animals. I mean look at a horse, their heel is half way up their leg.

I wear these at the gym, they're super comfy and give me more stability during squatting.

Sure, short distance until you lose weight.

Not heel striking isn’t the most important thing, not landing with your foot in front of you is (which in turns produces heel striking) landing foot far in front will shock your shins with every strike.

Lol yeah bro, my boy and i are 6’1 and 6’2 im 200 and hes 208 and we run 8 minute 1.5 miles, 27 minute 4 miles, 45 min 6 miles and sub 4 marathons. Just need to work into it, takes time and you need to be consistent. Pain will always come with it, in the knees calfs etc, but thats just your body adapting. Theres tons of programs to follow out there

life is short. Run however the fuck you want, nobody gives a shit.

Yeah I've been considering trying those too, I just don't know which of the two would be better.

>Main thing is making sure when you run you land basically on the ball of your foot
Yep, the few times I've tried barefoot running (just for fun, if I'm in a park or something) I've done just that, just as nature intended.
Thanks for your help!

Attached: river_home_art_128746_1440x900.jpg (1440x900, 443K)

I've got Vibrams. Pros:
>Comfiest shoes I've ever owned
>Posture-related hip and back pain is gone
>Strenghtens foot muscles, but so would running actually barefoot

Cons:
>You'll look like a clown
>Not for all weathers
>Need to be washed often

They're not for everyone, but my experience with them has been mostly positive.

>Not for all weathers

Like, bad in rain? Snow?

>>Need to be washed often
Do they smell bad quick?

For distance running? You should 100% be heel striking.

Literally shoes for wh*te "people"

go away Jew

Attached: ixSdAMb.gif (501x504, 11K)

Not our fault blacks don’t get their first pair of shoes until the age of 10

a staff Sergeant in my company used them a while. he was the laughing stock of the entire Bataillon.

this. Usain Bolt runs on his toes. Gonna use someone for reference, may as well be the fastest.

Why?

That's bullshit. People run ultra marathons barefoot and dont heel strike

To really understand this stuff one really needs to read the writings of Rene Calliet. He was a real genius. You have to understand in detail how the joints of the lower extremity work. You have to understand what he describes as “static anatomy” and “dynamic anatomy”. An “ideal” gait cycle can be understood by starting at the “heel strike”. The other parts of the foot fall in sequence. The lateral side of the sole, the metatarsal arch, the great toe. These things can be visualized like an inverted arch, spreading the force of the impact out over time. The foot leaves the ground in the same sequence, heel first , then lateral side of the foot, metatarsal bar, then lastly the tip of the big toe pushes off. In order to accelerate beyond the 7 minute or so mile pace this gait can accomplish one has to do one or both of two things, the stride has to increase, the foot has to get on and off the ground quicker (by leaving out the heel strike). This is known as “sprinting” and to sprint you edit everything out but the metatarsal landing and the big toe push off.

There are “abnormal” gait cycles one can witness every day. If you hear someone running before you see them they probably have an abnormal gait cycle. The one I see commonly is the heel strikes, the medial ball of the foot (the metatarsal arch) strikes the ground, the big toe swings laterally out of the way and the push off is from the medial metatarsal arch. This footfall leads to “slapping” the ground even at low velocity (8 min. Mile). Some of that “shock” in this footfall becomes sound and some is transmitted up the taught anterior tibialis tendon where it begins to pull on the attachment to bone. Which is how you get shin splints, bunions, and other fun things. If you have this kind of problem elevating the arch medically can help to get your footfall “back on track”.

What we saw in the Army was when they started bringing females in they had problems running in formation. Your average gait stride for a male is 30 inches, for a female 28 inches or less. So when running in formation the females had to open their gait up to 30 inches which caused a “shin splint” type problem with the origins of their hamstrings and adductors which produced “pelvic pain” for lack of a better word (not STD type). To address this problem they started slowing down the runs in formation and the girls got better. But then the guys started getting shin splints because the only way they could accommodate the 28 inch stride of the new pace was to adopt a pathological footfall as described above.

No one I know who is actually knowledgeable about running uses these. In fact I see them in the gym more often than anything and usually by the weird and DYEL

No it's not

We were literally meant for sprints

No problem my dude, i chose vivo's over fivefingers for 2 reasons, my main reason is that i didn't want to buy new socks with toe bits (I've spent a fortune on merino wool socks) and didn't want to wear them sockless. Reason 2, they don't look as autistic.
Side note, vivo also do a 100 day guarantee, in which you get to wear them properly, if you don't like them for whatever reason, full money back

Forgot to add, i had a pair of vivo's which i wore out in 6 months, (this is the rate i usually go through shoes) i contacted them saying, i loved them but they're too expensive to replace every 6 months, i got a free returns label, and they gave me a brand new pair

>I'm interested in trying these after years of having tried and tried again to get into running.
don't bother running. it is very bad for your knees.
if you knees blow out, then how will you stay in shape at all? preserve your knees, get an exercise bike/trainer.

enjoy your shin splints
t. shin splinter

Good one

Attached: 1546826317750.jpg (650x600, 159K)

These things are designed for forefoot striking. Heel striking is the sure fire way to injury, regardless of the shoe.

>If hear someone running before you see them
...they are probably running at twice the speed of sound (at least) and they are lapping you

Attached: IMG_1962.jpg (505x550, 21K)

>these 'shoes'
OH NONONONONO

what

I'm on my 3rd pair of those bad boys (first bought in 2011). There are major pros and cons to it

Pro
>changed running form feels more efficient
It may be placebo but I feel like the lack of heel strike makes the stepping less effortful so I am moving similar distance per stride with less energy
>cross training
I used to go to a gym where you couldn't take your shoes off to deadlift, so these came in handy
>job
When I'm working backstage during shows at a theatre, these are great for taking low sound steps backstage without compromising ability to move shit around
>flexible shoes force muscle growth
Not in big muscles, mind you but the smaller muscles in your feet and parts of your calves. You have to create the new sense of balance with your feet and legs since you're not on a contouring platform like with regular shoes
>fun on trails
Theres something satisfying about feeling hiking trails under your feet. That's just personal shit

Cons
>no top protection
Running shoes dont tend to have much to them anyway, but I've had shit drop on my feet which would have left a smaller impact had I been wearing sturdier shoes
>some risk on the bottom
While feeling hiking trails is nice, I've often stepped on a random rock that hurt for a bit. Obviously not great for wearing around broken glass or potentially other hazards
>smell
Holy fuck these get funky. They're machine washable but once they get some smell to them it will always be there in a faint manner
>"amphibious douche ninja"
Most everyone I know has some kind of comment about them. Most think they're ridiculous and just begging for attention (going low profile=pay me attention I guess). I've not met a single girl that has a good thing to say about them and guys are mostly the same, though the more athletic types will ask me about them

They've gotten less expensive since my first pair 8 years ago, so I'll probably keep buying them as they wear out. They wear at about the same rate as normal athletic shoes (2-3 years)

>Most everyone I know has some kind of comment about them. Most think they're ridiculous and just begging for attention (going low profile=pay me attention I guess). I've not met a single girl that has a good thing to say about them and guys are mostly the same, though the more athletic types will ask me about them

This is basically the reason i went for vivobarefoots over these

Also
>Holy fuck these get funky. They're machine washable but once they get some smell to them it will always be there in a faint manner

I can wear socks with vivos

But I'll forever be curious about these, maybe one day I'll get myself a pair

I mean at the end of the day I do what makes me happy and what feels right for my training. People will find ways to laugh anyway so I don't pay it any serious mind. I just know that this is a very image obsessed board and people pay to look good (or at least avoid looking bad) so that is a factor in decision.

There are athletic socks for the five fingers, but they're at a shitty premium. To delay the smell growth, I throw the shoes in a gallon zipper bag and put them in the freezer overnight. It helps, but I always know there's a faint scent.

And like I said, they're getting cheaper to buy. I got my current pair for like $60 from an Amazon sale while my first pair cost about $100

>There are athletic socks for the five fingers, but they're at a shitty premium
Yeah i know but I'm autistic and only wear merino wool socks, which I've spent a fortune on, and didn't want to have to replace my entire collection with socks with toe bits

these shoes a a big yikesy
>he thinks having the toes individually is giving him the edge
>looks like an amphibious douche ninja

>be white guy
>wear these
>wonders why are white women are dating outside their race

how can a human being not be self aware enough to realize these are shit? You look like a retarded yuppie goober faggot in these shoegloves.