Are there exercises, runners get banned from doing by their coaches?

Are there exercises, runners get banned from doing by their coaches?

I'm just surprised that all great runners all have a lean and muscular body shape.

Who was the first coach and instructor who decided muscular and bulky people can't break running records and demanded every running athlete to be lean and muscular only?

If you look at artwork depicting the Olympics from Ancient Greeks, the runners depicted on artifacts like pottery all showed pretty bulky and muscular figures, a completely different body shape to today's runners.

It kinda makes the average person think, that they can't win Olympic medals in running if they don't have a particular body shape but I witnessed people like Rugby players generate really high speed even though they are really bulky and it should be possible for a rugby player to win a medal in running so I'm just really curious about this whole issue.

Attached: 1556651283837.jpg (960x653, 62K)

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=QrDqWbBMA9o
foxsports.com.au/nrl/nrl-premiership/revealed-meet-the-nrls-fastest-players-at-your-club-in-2017/news-story/63e3f2b5c270ac986328d49beb53dcd2
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

>bulky
You mean fat? Yeah fat people can't run.

Bigger muscles expend more energy doing the same movements as smaller muscles when outputting at max performance, so it's about finding the balance between size and endurance for each runner, depending on the length of their main event. Needlessly large muscles that don't contribute to max speed(like massive biceps for instance) are a waste of energy during a race that can be better used elsewhere. Pretty simple stuff OP

Big muscles are necessary for running fast but not too big. Not only is it a lot of mass to move but muscle tissue produces lactic acid. Lactic acid is the source of pain when sprinting and reduces performance. The more muscle you have, the more lactic acid you produce, the slower you run.

For distance runners tremendous amounts of mass is absolutely killer because of the weight you have to carry around. Going into this season my 5K PR was around 16:00. Ten pounds and three months later its probably around 14:50 although I haven't raced it yet.

>Who was the first coach and instructor who decided muscular and bulky people can't break running records

The concept of someone being "muscle-bound" and unable to do well in athletics existed well into the 20th century.

>Needlessly large muscles that don't contribute to max speed(like massive biceps for instance) are a waste of energy during a race

Attached: I180107_182030_1998210oTextTRMRMMGLPICT000070669377o.jpg (615x973, 70K)

No one is debating where or not a 200lb guy can run a 10k in 40 minutes
But sprinting? Yeah good luck being >160lbs and being anywhere close to what is considered fast
But then again sports like sprinting are so niche its not even worth pursuing in my opinion

I’d rather be well rounded, big, and have good endurance than be a twig that can burst run or a bloatmaxxed powerlifter

Usain Bolt was like 95kg / 210lbs and he clearly wasn’t slow. Distance runners are the skellies, you need a lot of muscle to sprint quickly

Yeah but how tall is Bolt? 6’6 or something?

Bolt isn't nearly as wide proportionally as his adversaries.

Is running endurance mental?

The ancient greek didnt have professional sportlers at all. So you bascially still had to serve as a hoplite etc. and couldnt just full time "run in circles"

minor threadjack, but I'm over weight (268lbs), been running since february. I'm up to 1.75 miles a day but I havent lost much weight. Wife says I am more in shape.
Anyone else experienced this? I want to get to 3 miles a day.

hes on roids and cant help getting big arms and delts

iidot

Running is not a good way to lose weight, a single cookie is like twice what you burn on your 1.75 mile runs

yeah I;m also tracking calories more (let it slip like a week) and trying intermittent fasting. I have more energy and endurance which is nice.

Cant stand this fucking retardation

Sprinters are big and muscular. Sprinting is not even close to being niche since sprinting is what you use in any fucking activity. Long endurance is almost fucking pointless unless you want to be a frail skinny aging bald cunt. Why are you guys so fucking stupid? What makes you think there is any use in long distance running? We are meant to walk long distances not fucking run them

Attached: marathon_sprinter1.jpg (299x296, 19K)

youtube.com/watch?v=QrDqWbBMA9o

Might watch later since I always have an opened mind, but throughout my own research long distances running has been disproved.

Attached: a30ccc8a700da37ff479714229f56948--african-tribes-african-art.png (360x540, 259K)

so you only engage in activity that has proven use?

not many people think this way, they prefer long endurance, because, they prefer it

I hope you are living life doing everything that has a use and not sidetracking being inefficient , like post on Jow Forums

Just watched it. Dude literally just disproved himself. Sprinting = speed and strength
Long distance running = slower and weaker

Sure have your preferences. Just don't teach unhealthy ways to became fit onto others. Im talking about reaching your top genetic potential here

Long distance running protects your telomeres, meaning you live longer and are less likely to develop chronic disease.
The idea that running makes you small is a meme, it entirely depends on how much you eat and if you're lifting or not.

Long distance running making you small is not a meme LMAO. Long distance running protects your telomeres? Sure never looked into that but who really gives a shit when it literally destroys your heart and tissues. People die EARLIER due to long distance running. No use literally. So much stress on the body and just completely unnatural

we are talking about aesthetics

unhealthy? if you're at elite level

How directly does weight loss affect running? I just finished bulking up to 185 and I plan to be down to 165-160 by October for my first marathon. I figure a 20 pound difference would be pretty substantial to overall endurance, right?

Attached: 1545706774851.jpg (540x668, 52K)

Aesthetics wise? Then sprint. Health = Aesthetics

Unhealthy at elite level? No. Unhealthy at any level.

Attached: 1536259871122.jpg (656x393, 37K)

> it should be possible for a rugby player to win a medal in running
Hum, no ?!

Plus, pro athletic people, want to optimize their body. Why be bigger (fat and/or hypertrophia), if it's useless for their performance, or worse, if it makes them run slower ?
There is no point.

interesting opinions you have

Autism level of caring causes this desu

Attached: reverseflash.png (1127x988, 456K)

Have you been measuring your waistline and weighing in at the same condition every day? I'm fairly lean but when I did my 2 month summer cut I barely lost any weight, maybe 5lbs. The only time I could get an accurate assessment on my weight was after fasting, so pretty much first thing in the morning. Although I barely lost any weight I look way more in shape now because my waistline decreased 2 inches.

Track your calories, measure your weight fasted, measure your waist, gradually increase your miles run per week and gradually decrease your calories as you lose weight. It'll take time but just keep at it. Look in the mirror daily or even keep progress pics, you'll be able to tell where you're losing fat if your waistline is the same. I remember when I started my diet I took a good look at my back and was disgusted by how much fat I was storing there but after a while I noticed I shed that back fat. I bet your wife is saying you're more in shape because she noticed places you lost fat.

EInstein dude.
E = MC2
The more the mass, the more you need energy to move it.

If you are fat (heavy), you will need more energy to move your body, than if you are skinny (lightweight).
That's why fat people have more strengh than skinny people. Because their body need more strengh to move on a daily basis.
That's why, usually, fat people at gym get result faster, because if you have more strengh, you can have a higher volume for hypertrophia, than a skinny guy.

(cringe)
I want to be swoll and fast is it possible Jow Forums?

Attached: general relativity.jpg (580x388, 41K)

the more mass the greater the kinetic energy, you dunce

It doesn't work this way, dunce.
If you want to accelerate, your mass doesn't help you.

You already know, to reach the speed of light, you need to have no mass, at all, right ?
Why ?
Spoiler : because the kinetic energy is not enough to speed up.

Anyway : the heavier you are, more energy you will need to speed up.
(rugby or soccer can't be skinny on their sport, that's why they have this mass compared to marathoner for example)

ok i will tell you the truth about sprinting

im a sprinter btw

the first 10 meters are all about POUND FOR POUND strenght the more you can squat and deadlift in relation to your bw the faster you will run that segment

10-20 meters this is all about POWER, the higer you can jump and the better your power clean, clean in relation your bw the faster you will be

so far NICE

now above that from 20-to 100 meters mark its all about SPEEEEEEEEEED this involves,TENDON STIFFNESS,fast twitch fibers and elastic strenght, you can develop your fast twitch by just lifting but you will never develop elastic strenght and tendon stiffness unless you sprint for years

unless you squat a ton and deadlift 2 tons you will never come from no where and run a sub 10 sprint, it take years of elastic strenght and tendon stiffness training for years, of course roids with being stronger and more powerfull pound for pounds thus reaching your top speed faster, but if your top end speed isnt GOOD, doesnt matter how much you roid or how strong you are you will never be a good sprinter even tho you can get away in FOLTBALL and rugby with pure strenght and power

remember sprinting are vertical contractions as fast as possible

the stronger you are, the faster you reach your top end speed but strenght and top end speed are two different things thet dont correlate

gifted guys of course have bodies that respond better to top end speed training

by the way...i juiced, every single sprinter juices some more some less,but all of them does, wanna know something ? my times barely improved despite juicing my ass off and lifting numbers close to my weight cathegory NATIONAL powerlifting records,yet weaker guys than me smoked me past 20 meters , and their bodies needed less strenght to be fast

now i moved to rugby 7

thank you based sprint user. i always assumed that just strength wasn't enough for sprinting so its cool to have that confirmed

First of all you have to understand that muscles don’t mean SHIT in athletics. What matters is nervous system efficiency

Take a junior with three years on the line at 240 lb and he will absolutely crush a power lifter who totals 2x more than the kid

I heard you lose weight more by swimming since more of your body is involved in swimming compared to just purely running.

Conveniently leaves out the part where he says

>depending on the length of their main event

Stop being willfully stupid

yes its fucking not, i knew some guys that were as tall as me but weighted less,yet theyd got mogged by me at the gym by a big margin, i was a lot stronger pound for pound, but theyd mogg me at the track, thanks my strenght, i moved to wrestling as well, but god, every fucking wrestling session you will sprain your neck, fingers, toes ankles wrists, wrestling is even tougher than rugby, i tried football but its not like im a 4.3 guy so my best option was sevens, guys on sevens arent as fast like the NFL guys but some of them are fast, the fact im one of the fastest here is pretty good

by the way, my track coaches always praised more on guys with good top end speed and never cared on about the guys with good acceleration, they always assumed,a guy with a great acceleration is just a guy that goes to the gym and may be pretty good at it

It depends a lot of thing.
But first, to lose weight, you have to eat less kcalories than you burn each day.

Does swimming burn more kcalories than running ?
It depends, how fast you run, how fast you swim, how long you swim, how long you run, etc.

But, when you are in the water, your body burn more kcalories to keep the body at the same temperature.
Usually, when you run, if it's cold you have long sleeves, a jacket etc., or you run bare chested if it's warm etc.
Just to say, you burn more kcalories wearing a bikini in a swimming pool than in a stadium with clothes on.
Yes.

im a sprinter too, what was your best time before roiding?

to perform well in athletics you maximize performance. the athletic event we compete in will obviously affect how we train the body.
hypothetically we have every different body type trained to maximize performance in sprinting.
race them all and find some beat others routinely.
history of sprinting and its millions of sprinters give us the body training exercises and body-types of the fastest.
lean and muscular body is not law, it is rule heavily reinforced. so it is follwed.

i went from 10.55 to 10.39 8 months of roiding, it got very evident on my deltoids,i didnt gain much weight, but my delts neck and traps were MASSIVE

it was not worth my health and i could ger caught so i quit sprinting assuming im not that good,also i trained and weightlifted for years before and then

what are your times, height bodyweight,and lifting numbers....i could help you,btw the guys that benefit from steroids are those who are veey fast but not very high test guys or strong finishers with a weak start AK Bolt

Do you think that ancient civilizations produced better athletes than we have today? It doesnt matter what ancient people looked like, the coaches today know exactly what to do to win.

>We are meant to walk long distances not fucking run them
Based on what? We have evidence persistence hunting was a thing humans did in the past.

BAhahaha fuckin persistence hunting. If you honestly think we ran after an animal for 8 hours a day then youre a retard

Maybe if long distance running was actually beneficial to the body it might seem slightly believable

Hunting how ? Running after an animal ? Come on...
We have evidence of the need of tool (spear, bow, etc.) because we weren't fast enough to hunt by ourselves.

Quick question. Why the human are one of the few species who were around all the globe ?
Because we walked long distances. That's why.

Actually I shouldnt really call myself a sprinter since I never really trained for it but im just naturally a bit faster then average (ran 11.70 when I was 14)
Im running the same times now at 18 which is pretty terrible since by now I should be under 11 if I actually trained

Im 5'8, 180 lbs, 12% bodyfat, and I dont lift weights but my bench is 210 and deadlift is somewhere around 400+

Are you white? because 10.55 is amazing no matter what age

What distance "runner?"

Big difference between "100m Sprint" and "Marathon"

Well, it is a historical fact ancient empires used to make their soldiers march in pretty heavy clothing or armor for long miles in really shitty footwear under not so ideal weather conditions.

There were no gyms back then, though, not like today. It wasn't like a Blacksmith was capable of future knowledge of modern exercise equipment.

This makes me wonder about the body type of ancient soldiers.

Are those ancient Greek statues of males really legit? Some of those statues of men seem like they would require a lot of food and protein to achieve such an ideal body but its not like Ancient Greeks get served chicken, steaks, or eggs everyday.

Legit this. Its so simple but retards cant understand it

Attached: JESU5.jpg (590x622, 94K)

Exercise has created more endurance and muscle tone.
Diet controls your weight.

Building strength? Exercise.
Managing bodyfat? Diet.

I used to be a 400m runner and we did plenty of lower body work during the off season, but the only upper body exercize we were allowed to do (besides core) was the bench press.

THANK YOU. someone in this thread who is not a retard

I'm not talking about anything elite level. Literally EVERY elite-level sport will ruin your body. I'm talking about recreational running.
And yes, it is a meme. Calories in, calories out. Marathon runners lose weight on purpose because less weight means the heart doesn't have to work as hard.

How do you improve tendon stiffness? Also are you supposed to have some muscles like hip flexors flexible and others like hamstrings tight or should everything be flexible?

Not him, but I know ballet fucks up a woman's feet and toes so badly, it makes you think they got crushed.

If you ask me, I feel like ballet is equally as barbaric as the most dangerous sports.

Makes me wonder which crazy person invented ballet.

you improve tendon stiffness by sprinting 30 mins 45 mins 3 times a week during 3-5 years, doing pylometrics and tempo running,it takes year to build a good tendon stiffness, id say between 2-5

to be honest,i went some races stiff and raced well i went to some races flexible and did bad, and viceversa

it depends on your limb lenght, stride frecuency and stride lenght to determine how FLEXIBLE you need to be

asafa powell and maurice greene were stiff, bolt and lewis were flexible,finding your correct sprinting style is more inportant

in my case i always tried to run on my toes rising my knees as high and fast as i could

Maurice greene is 180lb m8

it was said that maurice greene had a 30 inch vertical leap and couldnt dunk lol

Its hard to find public data for NRL players stats as they are used in contract negotiations and each club measures over different distances but one professional player, andrew gray, was clocked at over 10m/s (36km/hr) by his team during trials which seems pretty impressive to me.

foxsports.com.au/nrl/nrl-premiership/revealed-meet-the-nrls-fastest-players-at-your-club-in-2017/news-story/63e3f2b5c270ac986328d49beb53dcd2

as a 23 year old boomer who has never done formal sprint training beyond inconsistent meme stuff in a shitty HS indoor track program, what would you advise for sprinting and athletics? im 5'10" 165 lbs, 32 inch standing vert, ~280 squat ~350 dead

you have a great vertical jump considering that squat

start sprinting by doing nothing but 30 meters sprints

id suggest you 6 sets of 30 meters 2 times a week untill your body adapts,hen go for 8 sets of 30 meters then 12 sets of 30 meters

dont lift that day,you know you adapting because you will be less sore

then do the same but 40 meters instead,the same amount of reps,then 50-60-80-100

untill you can do 12 100 full sprints in a day

always time your sprints it will be a long way untill you can do 12 full sprints a day two times a week, once your sprinting speed plateaus go back to LOWER body lifting

id suggest you to start doing rows, muscle cleans and presses the days you dont sprint, listen your body,if you srent sure about going all out on a sprint dont and GO HOME, sprinting injuries are a serious thing and i dont know how resilient your body is

feel free to ask me anything

my squat strength is low due to bad form and inconsistent training, i usually feel limited by knee and hip pain rather than leg strength, I am pretty injury prone due to being an idiot in HS. Vert is high because iv done a lot of specific training in order to dunk. One more question, what ab exercises would you do? im pretty lacking there

in my track carreer i have never ever done a sit up lol,i have always been lean and my abs always were my stronger point since im a kid, they got stronger due pull ups push ups dips deadlifts squats cleans rows sprinting....having lower back strenght and upperback and erector spinae strenght has always been more import to me

but if i have to recomend one,Ab wheels without doubt

TIL that calf muscle is deadweight

Human built to run long distance
I am human
I run long distance
Post industrial revolution and self domesticating behavior results in synthetic closed room movement of weight
I must run in mountain
I must run in dirt
I am human
I must run to my Mother Earth

Attached: 1557711959067.jpg (500x741, 449K)

Ancient wars were mainly fought by walking and marching though and ancient humans invented specific ways or marching so people don't accidentally spear to death the person in front of them.

Shame we will never be able to see the physique of an ancient soldier in real life. I'm guessing they are probably shorter but shame we won't get a chance of MRI scanning their entire body or getting close up shots of their entire body. Would definitely wonder what their feet usually look like. Is it full of calluses, etc

Skeletons don't provide that much information after all.

based kaczynski

So what type of cardio should i do then?
Is incline walking + HIIT the only correct form of cardio training then?