Are geniuses really mentally ill?

why is it that most people who are smart are depressed bipolar schizo etc?

Attached: xcxc.gif (280x280, 1.99M)

Other urls found in this thread:

medicalxpress.com/news/2019-02-smartphone-based-mindfulness-loneliness-social-contact.html
vocaroo.com/i/s14IhceJtqB6
en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dunning–Kruger_effect
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

Just a brain wired differently with different chemistry man.

Because life is a cunt sometimes

Because you need to be able to think outside of the box to come up with some of this shite. So having a brain that doesn't work conventionally can help.

specing points heavy into one category and neglecting others

Alright, I'll start.

141 IQ
Depressed & Avoidant Personality Disorder.

Attached: 1540843156408.jpg (601x508, 31K)

When a mind works incredibly well at solving complex problems, it’s prone to anxiety and overthinking. Bad recipe for today’s tiresome industrial society

No one asked, faggot

Attached: DCD257CC-5C4C-4EDA-B49C-99E56914E78E.jpg (640x640, 37K)

Bipolar

Attached: 89B0D0B7-2A7F-4E51-8D98-AE2B28DA8354.jpg (600x472, 32K)

I think high intelligence allows people to see through the illusion that everything is fine, which honestly makes you miserable.

t. 142 iq, I'm totally fucked up lmao but a lot happier since I stopped caring and embraced the insanity. Take the honk pill my friends.

>embraced the insanity
you took the edge pill, friendo

short answer because smart people tend to end up having the blackpill on their plate

Tested at 145 with Stanford Binet. Narcissist stepmom and bipolar+ptsd father thought my rebellion phase was schizophrenia, bipolar, adhd, anything and everything to load me up with pills. Psychs said I was schizoid just to get painfully obvious narc stepmom off my case. Idk what I would be diagnosed now, but a lot of the things I know appear schizophrenic to the office drone.

Shit like "you already told me that your marriage is failing in the future and it's because you don't ever allow yourself to be happy, I just know that you never do anything for you, you always give up everything and never receive anything in return" the day I meet someone and am right in that assessment, and "it's funny to me that no one can ever tell me what's wrong with being arrogant, they always answer a totally different question which is 'how did the abusive people treat you in your childhood/teen years'"

People say things and tell me something else. They don't like that I can only hear what they are trying to tell me.

life isnt a video game, loser

You certainly write like you’re on the schizo spectrum

Im a genieus

Most of the geniuses are weird but most of the weirdos are not geniuses

>not being down with pumping kids full of hormones and chopping their dicks off is "edgy" now
Oh Schlomo I can see your nose from here buddy.

Brains are weird. I know some very smart people who are severely mentally ill and I know some very smart people who are completely neurotypical. It really depends.

Personally, my family has a whole messy history of depression and BPD. When your emotions have really high highs and really low lows, you either act like a piece of shit or do amazing things with very little middle ground. That unbalance either comes across as emotional abuse and dysfunction (my family) or world-changing brilliance (a lot of artists and scientists).

It is, kinda. The only difference is that life gives you more points to spend the harder you try.

>People say things and tell me something else. They don't like that I can only hear what they are trying to tell me.

Dude your whole post really shows you are fucked in the head. Get some help man.

who the fuck is that

I'm pretty sure your current diagnosis is a stroke

This guy won

I'm not sure that there's a correlation there.
If it exists, it's probably because people who are highly intelligent tend to have trouble fitting in with others and can spend a lot of time isolated. But that can be overcome with meditation.

Looks like Adriana Lima when she was younger

>most people who BELIEVE they are smart
fixed

By Geniuses usually mean unusual creativity which is linked to all kinds of mentall ilnesses such as schizophrenia and ocd both which share autistic traits and genes. Shcizos actually score lower than average on iq tests. Usually high creativity is linked to high iq, but high iq is not linked to high creativity necessarily

Attached: 1471228504076.jpg (320x320, 26K)

Meditation can help you to not isolate yourself? How? Asking for a friend

i'm aware this sounds like some incredibly narcasisstic autistic ">tfw too intelligent" thing, but as a 140iq sperg; it's impossible to be friends with someone who's separated by two standard deviations of IQ.
trying to be friends with a normie is like a normie trying to be friends with a downie. it's extremely isolating and leads to very poor social development and then results in aquired mental disorders, i've literally only ever had one close friend and it was definetly because she was the only person i'd met in my life that was more intelligent than me.

i guess this doesn't really explain how terry davis type schizos exist

It helps you deal with the mental problems that arise from being isolated too long.
It also helps you connect better with other people.
medicalxpress.com/news/2019-02-smartphone-based-mindfulness-loneliness-social-contact.html

this

also it seems like some of the spergs in this thread are more well adjusted than me, would any of you have tips for handling the loneliness or how to function a bit more like a normal person?

Tested at 153. Used to be like that until marriage and kids also I try to challenge myself everyday. Do something productive and fun. Best thing i ever did with my life. Idleness is what causes these disorders in my opinion. I think the whole "depressed" phase or "cant hang with normies" etc phases end when/if they emotionally mature. (most people never do)

vocaroo.com/i/s14IhceJtqB6

Because that's bullshit, Edison was fine, as well as Turing(except being a fag, but that applies to half you shits as well), Dawkins, Feynman, Mendel, and Darwin, just to name a few.
The whole high IQ means you're mentally ill is mostly a cope by people likeTo cope for being fuckups

IQ is a meme but 136
dissociative personality & identity disorder

The intelligent person operate on a different level of abstaction than the average one, a lot of "mental illnesses" (or what people percieve as ones) are how much X is different than the norm, normies aren't capable of understanding the intelligent one thus lead to the misconception he's ill. I'm yet to meet truly intelligent person that doesn't like the idea of disconnecting from society entirely.

I am pretty smart but not genius level and I gotta be honest user it just feels lonely. A lot of people I interact with are frankly just stupid and their problems are boring and irrelevant to me. Sometimes I try helping them and give them a very easy outline to follow to fix their shit and I try to be nice, yet they are too fucking stupid to execute basic things. And the people I am talking about here are probably average intelligence for the most part. When it comes to truly stupid people I cant talk to them at all, had a conversation with truly stupid girls at parties a few times and fuck me I just cant be arsed to even keep up appearances long enough to fuck her. It is just so fucking boring and I constantly feel like they are deliberately being stupid or slow in the head. Also I just dont know how to talk to them, best thing I can manage is practically holding a lecture and dumbing the topic down so that a toddler could understand it or I feel like I am degrading them by talking to them as if they were retarded.

And the people that are smart enough to have good conversations with are often entirely focused on their career and cant fucking talk about anything besides business or they are loners. I have a few friends that are smart and I can talk to but they are scattered across the globe now all trying to be (and mostly being) successfull. So I just feel alone and cant even talk to anyone but my closest friends about it because it sounds incredibly arrogant.

You're not as smart as you think you are

sometimes I wonder if its a sign of intelligence or mental illness if you have a superhuman ability to judge people. within a few minutes I can tell exactly who is gonna be successfull and who will never truly make it and many more things. Also I am very good at figuring out what makes certain people so successfull and likeable and use that to make myself a better person by copying what they do. And it fucking works brilliantly, I try to put my own spin on it but for the most part I am just copying successfull people around me.

stupid=happy because lack of reality perception and ignorance.

>I think the whole "depressed" phase or "cant hang with normies" etc phases end when/if they emotionally mature. (most people never do)
so how exactly would one go about starting to "emotionally mature"?
i try to engage with normie coworkers when they're talking about how hot scarjo is in some stupid capeshit or how much drugs they did at a party. but to do that i have to put on a fake charismatic personality and being a fake normie is even more isolationg than staying inside all day and it's been terrible for my mental health.

even if i try to convince myself that i probably have vices and hobbies that others would think are just as retarded, so that i can supress the narcassistic feeling of superiority over normies, there's still just such a disconnect. they're completely incapable of any form of interesting conversation, because the minute that something comes up that challenges their views, they immediately take it personally and shut down. they can't respectfully disagree and accept that someone can have different views on some subject without getting mad.

>When your emotions have really high highs and really low lows, you either act like a piece of shit or do amazing things with very little middle ground.

I dont know user for me most of life seems kinda bland. I am smart enough that challenges mostly come down to grinding away and doing the work and not to me being pushed to my limits it feels. Same with life, I am smart enough to figure out the principle behind what I want to achieve and it is just a grind at that point, I know what I have to do I just need to go through the motions. Probably why I like doing dangerous activities so much, one small mistake and you are dead - beautiful feeling to have to be fucking perfect and there is no margin for error it feels like truly pushing your mind and body to the limit. Calculate any possible risks and problems as fast as you can and anticipate what might go wrong so you dont fucking die if it does. It feels like time is slowing down in these moments.

People have very good and very bad pieces. I want people to only have the good pieces, but they are so attached to their negative pieces and it deeply saddens me. Thanks for understanding.

How do I know my IQ? I've been told I'm clever but I feel like a dumbass most of the time.

because they use their brains to think a lot? brain always working at something. constantly surprised how friends never get curious about random shit, never look into anything for themselves, etc.

Tfw smart enough to know you're dumb but not smart enough to achieve anything in life

this too, to a degree.

our company just merged with another big company. we are very successful. record profits. record ceo pay. hr has been looking into our job titles for a couple years in order to get us proper market compensation. we get trash annual raises. we get worked like niggers. we just had employee appreciation week that consisted of popcorn. a lot of people were satisfied with this. they do not see through the typical corporate bullshit i would expect them to.

it apparently is on some car forums which absolutely blows my fucking mind and makes me sad. if it has reached that crowd, what would it take to get turned around?

Damn, $95 for the app though. In between jobs right now or I'd buy it in a heartbeat. I just go through long periods of not wanting to contact anyone, and then I feel weird when I do because I just dropped all communication with them. Not that I usually text/use social media, I normally just text to ask if they want to hang out. I feel like this is a hindrance to my social life though, because as a result people just reach out to me maybe once a month if I'm lucky, but I don't even know where to start with messaging people. Are people really just texting inane bullshit to each other all the time? Or just sending each other memes I guess? I just use messages as a tool to arrange meetups I guess. Kinda ranting, but I gotta practice that mindfulness somehow, right?

Sure, but you're abilities aren't set in stone. Going to use programming as an example since that's what i do, but do you think a new graduate's ability to solve programming logic problems doesn't get exponentially better as they pour more and more hours into their work? New grads are basically useless. It gets better. If they weren't doing this, but instead working in a field that trained another skill, that skill would increase while the logic problem solving portion would not.

>$95
Just use Insight Timer

above 130 IQ, top PHD program in the US
bpd

If you take people at the top of very difficult fields like theoretical physics or math (who are not remotely in the same ballpark as your random Jow Forums 140IQ "genius"), then I wouldn't say that most are mentally ill. I think it gets romanticized, so people are more likely to hear about someone like Perelman than someone like Witten (a once-in-a-generation talent).
Anecdotal but when I was in grad school, some people fell off the rails (anxiety, depression) once they realized that they were merely decent/mediocre at doing research after building their entire identity around being top of the class. None of them were true geniuses but it could explain why some smart people end up depressed. I'm sure that it happens in most competitive disciplines, though.

Attached: faddeev.jpg (509x424, 22K)

You really don't need an app, you can learn everything you want from basic instructions online or books.

single mother or only child?

Because we're doomed

Attached: images (8).jpg (300x168, 9K)

what do you do for work?

what's your discord user? wanna talk?

90iq
had lots of sex

Not sure if mentally ill but i'm pretty numb, finding motivation is incredibly hard for me, i question everything i do and everything around me all the time and endless "why?" leads to nothing most of the times. I try to change my mindsate by the simple thinking of always assuming that i'll regret not doing X rightnow because i thought the same thing in the past, doesn't matter if the reasons not to do it outweight the other(which is in almost everything i encounter), if i even considered doing it means there are positives and that's where i want to focus. Now it makes me wonder if subjective logical conclusions are shaped by emotional biases? maybe it doesn't matter if i see a good point for the "losing" side because the decision is pre-determined, if that's the case then how can i change it?

I'm a freelance commercial architect, i would consider my mental health to be quite poor, my >130iq friends in high level infosec and finance positions are also mentally unhealthy.

Lmao every person in this thread has posted an IQ over 130. You're telling me Jow Forums is secretly made up of geniuses?

If you're so smart, then it shouldn't be hard to learn social skills and interact with normies right?

You have to get professionally tested in person. Most of the people on here who claim to be 120+ IQ are people who took online "IQ tests", which are all bullshit.

Thinking that you're dumb is actually a symptom of above average intelligence. The opposite is also true; dumb people tend to vastly overestimate their intelligence. Don't sell yourself short bro.

en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dunning–Kruger_effect

>so how exactly would one go about starting to "emotionally mature"?
>i try to engage with normie coworkers when they're talking about how hot scarjo is in some stupid capeshit or how much drugs they did at a party.

There's more than intelligence to this. They have bad morals. Theres "normies" who have good morals and have the same hobbies/interests as you. "Normies" talking with me give me really good insight as to how society as a whole functions. What/how people think etc. Conversations with them can be enlightening if you can read between the lines.

>even if i try to convince myself that i probably have vices and hobbies that others would think are just as retarded, so that i can supress the narcassistic feeling of superiority over normies,

Emotionally maturing is different for everyone but a good start would be introspection over that last line. Understand that in the grand scheme of all there is to know, the smartest person to ever live probably knows a spec of it in a visual representation Understanding fully that no one is special (or everyone is special in their own way; which,of course, at the end of the day means no one is special) and theres infinitely more facets to people and life than intelligence.

>there's still just such a disconnect. they're completely incapable of any form of interesting conversation, because the minute that something comes up that challenges their views, they immediately take it personally and shut down. they can't respectfully disagree and accept that someone can have different views on some subject without getting mad.

Most of this has to do with my first reply. They seem like bad people.

Yep, I've definitely noticed this. Balances things out in a way. Honestly I dont know a person with >135 IQ who's emotionally/mentally healthy

I'm 144 IQ
Got away with only having OCD and ADD as a kid, both of which my parents were very attentive to and mostly got rid of, though they still manifest in different ways.

I'm still super emotionally/mentally unhealthy though, but idk if that can be attributed to intelligence. Probably, since I just overthink everything

Even the Mensa one?

Nobody in intense STEM grad programs is neurotypical

You can't stand that much tedium without at least mild undiagnosed autism

It's not hard for the mind, it's hard for the soul.

lol what are these dangerous things you do then?

Apparently Jow Forums is filled with sub 140 IQ geniuses.

Jesus christ all of you are fucking delusional.

Haven't been through a grad program, but what makes you think there is more tedium than a career programmer / other STEM field that functions similarly? That's pretty much what the job is after your first year or two of picking up what's needed to do your job. New language / framework / whatever?! Wow, it is basically the same thing but tweaked. How exciting!!!

run from cops at like 160 while there is snow on the ground?

Not quite. Interacting with normies on any consistent basis would require one to care about that totally awesome game/show/movie that the normie saw last night. You can learn the small talk, you can learn the body language, but you can't feign genuine interest. I am also unmotivated to put the time investment into watching that totally sweet show normie likes so I can totally like connect with a brainlet. There's just nothing in it for me.

Pretty legit, Should be within 5+- points from the real test based on people who took both.

The chans are populated by INTPs and INTJs. These types tend to be highly intelligent.

Brainlet cope

Attached: 19A1BBE4-A01E-4C0A-A155-5AA4DF17429E.jpg (178x160, 5K)

You may also remark that the people who respond in threads such as these merely lurk other threads where you see some truly questionable thought processes.

I like girl feet

Attached: mensa iq.png (929x755, 62K)

>Most of this has to do with my first reply. They seem like bad people.
no, the unwillingness to respectfully disagree or respectfully debate without seeing the other party as a lesser person is definetly an extremely common normie trait. it's understandable on very polarized issues like abortion or something, but i get it just trying to have a deeper discussion over dinner without even arguing. i'm completely restricted to just saying "haha yeah" to shit i disagree with just to avoid having people hate me

PhD in Electrical engineering
I am numb, emotionless and avoid all forms of eye contact
I want to die but don't want to kms
I can make anyone around me laugh but I don't laugh anymore

got 138 on this test, i browse Jow Forums only for the wheyfus and femdom threads

4chans anonymous nature and (formerly) lax moderation only really appeals to intelligent minds. Jow Forums is a place where you can discuss uncomfortable topics without fear of repurcussion, while reddit type sites are just an echo chamber designed to only expose retards to the type of replies they want to see

meant to quote

FUCK
meant to quote

> i'm completely restricted to just saying "haha yeah" to shit i disagree with just to avoid having people hate me
This is a rock solid summary.

>no, the unwillingness to respectfully disagree or respectfully debate without seeing the other party as a lesser person is definetly an extremely common normie trait. it's understandable on very polarized issues like abortion or something, but i get it just trying to have a deeper discussion over dinner without even arguing. i'm completely restricted to just saying "haha yeah" to shit i disagree with just to avoid having people hate me

Its a societal trait. Smart people have this issue too. Your problem isn't an intelligence issue, its the people you associate with that are the issue. Stop fearing peoples hatred to you. If they bring it up, speak your mind! Living in fear is no way to live.

if your friends are largely made up of people like this, does it not become boring to go out with them?

This, people seem to take everything i say personally while i'm really just want to talk about the idea. They can't remove their believes for the sake of discussion, not only decision.

actually based

Attached: sushi feets.jpg (2304x1536, 276K)

when i do that, i'm immediately ousted from the in-group of classmates/coworkers/acquaintences as that guy who argues about stuff (i'm respectful and it never gets heated)
i don't have this problem with actual friends, but they're all high iq e-friends who i don't have many common interests with

I love how everyone reports his IQ as 140 and higher. You lying pieces of shit. Why not go for a realistic but still respectable 120?

Attached: '.jpg (407x512, 49K)

That's the thing, you don't even have to have anything in common with someone to build a healthy rapport. Ask questions, provide anecdotes, talk about your own interests, etc. in an appropriate way. As long as you don't act like a dumbass I find that most people won't genuinely belittle you for your interests, e.g. talk in an appropriate way with fitting vocabulary

This board is filled with people talking about how lonely and isolated they are while rejecting casual conversation. All of your conversations don't need to be whatever you call "deep." In fact the majority of them shouldn't be. It's not hard to talk to people and it's fairly rewarding.

Why yes, yes it does.

They're not in general, thats just a weird stereotype. Intelligence has a small negative correlation with the proclivity for mental illness (neuroticism), meaning higher intelligence generally implies less mental illness.
I'd believe it, I know a lot of smart people irl who are well adjusted and not outwardly displaying any issues, then I go back home and see idiots making problems in their life that theyre not smart enough to understand.

Who's complaining about being lonely? I get that it's a theme on Jow Forums, but the point I was trying to make is that fraternising with normies tends to be painful because their interests tend to be passive and limiting.
> It's not hard to talk to people and it's fairly rewarding.
For who?

>Implying Jow Forums isn't an echo chamber
>Implying Reddit isn't pretty anonymous

Jow Forums, just like reddit is a place for like minded people to gather. Of course there's a dominant set of opinions and ideologies here- just like basically every other forum, making it an echo chamber. The fact that Jow Forums is comparatively anonymous doesn't make it appeal to "intelligent minds," it's demographic is just edgelords who like to think they're smart because they're aspies.

Seriously, how do you get to that conclusion?
>"I can't talk to people"
>"Wow I must be really smart"

Attached: 1558406013959.jpg (698x680, 62K)

Not him but the fact that you can even say this without it getting down voted to hell and immediately hidden proves otherwise. Jow Forums is far from an echo chamber.

but my bossman told me to try and not get so frustrated with people who aren't as smart as me in my last year review meeting