Is Olympic weightlifting a meme? All of their form is so bad... none of their movements are strict...

Is Olympic weightlifting a meme? All of their form is so bad... none of their movements are strict. It's an entire "sport" built around cheating. What's the point of lifting weights if you are going to use momentum on every lift and jump around like a fairy ballerina? That defeats the point.

Does anyone believe these people are actually strong?

Attached: 1560620321514.jpg (1920x1080, 169K)

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=y4CgYHlqx-s
youtube.com/watch?v=U4AQlamvFzs
youtu.be/o9M97v-BCOg
youtu.be/ty515ybotag
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

Somebody somewhere unironically believes this

Post body

nice bait cuck

Some of the best athletes in the entire world are Olympic weightlifters, you fucking dyel.

But how is this lifting weights when they just use momentum for everything? It's all cheat movements...

Why don't u do it then

>blocks your path

Attached: woodsy.jpg (800x600, 83K)

If the momentum is generated by your body and it's not intended as an isolation exercise, it's not cheating

user i know you're a bit of a gymcel but generally in sports you use momentum and that's ok!

>Is Olympic weightlifting a meme?
Yes.

Olympic weightlifters are unironically the strongest athletes overall

No, they aren't.

Then how is it weightlifting?

How? The world record for their lifts are only like 200kg, and thats all momentum. Thats nothing compared to powerlifting and strongman. Top level powerlifters squat 500kg+... but a top level Olympic lifter only moves 200???

Its the only barbell sport that matters and its fun as fuck

Right. Now go and generate the momentum needed to lift 175kg high and fast enough to drop under the bar and lock it overhead. If you complete the lift and don't die from the bar snapping your twiggy dyel arms and falling on your neck then you can go and tell Pyrros Dimas there that he's a cheater.

Attached: 69vwZ2D.png (2518x1024, 278K)

>Then how is it weightlifting
Because their bodies are lifting the fucking weight; you don't generate that force with external forces (compare that with squat suits, where the suit quite literally lifts some of the weight for you)

And then there's powerlifting which is literally just ego lifting made "sport". Minimizing ROM to the point where bench press is not a bench press anymore but an autistic twitching of the bar with ridiculously wide grip. Where deadlift becomes shorter than a legit rack pull, ROM-wise. Where squat is some comical wide stance knee bob like you've just shat your pants. Yeah, that's truly more impressive.

Yeah but those guys bench twice as much as Olypmic dudes with zero use of momentum. What's the point of lifting weights when you're not using muscles to do it and just jumping?

The world record c&j is 260 kg held by Lasha Talakhadze not 200, plus its harder to move a weight 1.5 metres into the air and then hoist it over your head than it is to move down and up for 20 cm what powerlifters do

are you autistic?

What do you think that momentum is generated by?

No? I just don't understand. If I use my body to swing curls, then its not a real rep. Its cheating. They have an exercise called "push press" that is literally a cheating overhead press!!! Can you believe that?

I don't understand a strength sport where it's based on cheating. This COULD BE impressive if they actually lifted the weight without needing to use momentum.

How exactly is it cheating?

How do you think that momentum is generated, by magic?

How are you still taking this bait

Its the way reason using your body for a bicep curl is cheating. Lifts are supposed to target a certain muscle and you cant do stuff to incorporate the other muscles or make it easier using the rest of your body. Imagine if you did those push press things instead of overhead press... thats cheating now.

imagine telling a baseball player they need to hit the ball slow and controlled and not to use momentum while swinging their bat

>lifts are supposed to target a certain muscle
haha great thread

>when you've trained your whole life to learn technique in the lifts to lift 500+ lbs over your head and someone says you aren't strong because you use momentum

Attached: ilya .jpg (1024x683, 271K)

This is all horrible quality bait and /fit is still biting

But its only 500 pounds. Strongmen do that with 300 pounds and one hand with those dumbbells, and powerlifters regularly break 500kg. Are these guys REALLY strong compared to the other strength sports?

duck dick conk cock and balls!!!
yum yum yummu cock and baaalS

cum dealer hunk spunk in my trunnk
hhh

Why dont strongmen just compete in the Olympics and take all the golds?

Idk has anyone ever asked one?

>explosiveness is not a measure of strength

Athlete in control of his body lifting 260kgs over his head
youtube.com/watch?v=y4CgYHlqx-s
vs
Some overly roided fuck spazzing out over a 500kg cheat lift that cant even grip without straps
youtube.com/watch?v=U4AQlamvFzs
Truly a debate for the ages

thats a stupid comparison user. Both require tremendous dedication and hard work.
I prefer weightlifting tho, when you dead-lift 190kg and struggle, the idea of throwing it over your head in one smooth motion seems unfathomable.
Both are impressive but weightlifting is superior imo

depends on how you classify strength. Most the stongmen have shit overhead positions and their lockout is crap. Many powerlifters squat with ugly wide stance barely breaking parallel squat mornings. And if using momentum is cheating then wouldn't powerlifters be cheating for not doing pause squats in competition?
a weightlifter who transitions to another strength sport will do great, a powerlifter or strongman who starts weightilfting will rarely do well

Attached: lu-xiaojun-snatch-pulls.jpg (1350x898, 131K)

Attached: ilya 242 almaty.jpg (1280x720, 185K)

> hey user, I like to snatch too, tee hee!

Attached: howtolift.webm (640x640, 2.2M)

Mattie is unironically stronger than 90+% of this board

Based
But OP is just baiting, mentally retarded and underage,

dont forget gay

Attached: Talakhadze-GEO-M-105-kg-9-SZJ-772x1024.jpg (772x1024, 88K)

I know this is a bait thread but I have a genuine question for the oly folks. Is there a functional point to doing the jerk? I've always just done clean and press since the jerk is a sport specific movement and doesnt really train the overhead properly in my opinion. Thoughts?

I started to incorporate the jerk in my training since it makes me focus on controlling the fast movement and made me realize my mobility isn't optimal. A snatch can easily show you a lot of weakpoints in the chain and it helped me to get my OHP a lot better.

Jow Forums´s boner with weightlifting is really weird. The whole sport is built around hoisting weights like 20 cm in the air and jumping under the bar so you don´t really have to lift it. Most non-elite weightlifters barely even looks like they lift.

Mattie a cute

fuck i love mattie so much

Kate is cuter tho (and a better weightlifter)

Attached: katevibert.jpg (900x900, 209K)

Do you think all exercises are isolation strict curls or something?

>Most non-elite weightlifters barely even looks like they lift.
You dont look like you lift

Very few powerlifters squat 500 kg to depth. Oly lifters squat 800+ lbs atg

Kek at all the triggered coping olympic weightlifting virgins.
>b-b-but muh olympics
No one gives a shit about the fucking olympics.

Attached: He's_right_you_know.jpg (800x598, 73K)

It measures power and the ability to recruit a lot of energy very quickly. You need both strength to generate that power and to effectively stabilize it. It’s very similar to strongman in that they get the weight up. If you “cheat” a bicep curl, you’re eliminating the point of it, to stimulate the muscle through tension. When equipped powerlifters use suits, or sink the bar into their chest, they use momentum as well.

Seriously though, what's the point of doing a barbell sport with absolutely no carry-over to real life? The barbell is a constructed object, why dedicate your life to finding ways to manipulate it?
Powerlifting makes sense because the barbell happens to be an extremely good way to measure strength through a specific set of exercises. Strength matters a lot in the real world so it makes sense to want to compete in it.
Being able to do some autistic, extremely technical manipulations with an engineered object doesn't make sense.
If you want to test "real world" strength with non-barbell objects, strongman takes care of that. So what the fuck is the point of weightlifting?

Show me 2 weightlifters that squat 800 lbs atg

>biggest athletic event in the world
>nobody cares
Sure bud, just keep powerlifting/bodybuilding lmao

the olympics are a fucking meme. They even planned to exclude wrestling. And these are the people your entire "sport" completely depends on for its very existence. Pathetic.

Mart Seim has done 400kg
Lasha (and maybe some Iranian shw’s) could do it but at their level there isn’t much a purpose to try and increase their squat, so they just try to maintain and keep reps fast

Mart Seim
Chingiz Mugoshkov
Lasha Talakhadze
Fernando Reis

Have all recorded 365+kg back squats. They also all have incredible form going ass to grass with that weight.

>what's the point to dribbling a basketball
>what's the point to cradling in lacrosse
>what's the point of hockey pucks
>what's the point of a football
Also, saying powerlifting has more carryover is laughable. You have a point with strongman, but deadlifting mechanics change dramatically from a barbell vs anything else

youtu.be/o9M97v-BCOg
youtu.be/ty515ybotag

Weightlifters don't tend to squat for max strength. We squat to improve in the snatch and clean and jerk. So a weightlifter's squats must as a general rule be fast, not grindy

This

>lower back explosive strength is not strength
Literally just try to properly snatch your own bw and see how fucking hard it is.

Attached: t0mat.gif (320x213, 1.4M)

Show me one powerlifter that can snatch 160kg atg.

Quite to the contrary, weightlifting is a lot fucking harder than poerlifting.
It takes a lot of discipline, flexibility and dedication to be able to pull of the technique necessary to do decent weights in olympic lifts, while any retard can easily start powerlifting.
Weighlifters do movements with less weight, precisly because the movements are way, way more demanding.
Powerlifters are just salty because weightlifting is a real sport and powerlifting is not.

How do their train their wrists, every time i see olympic lifters performing i cringe imagining all that moment and weight on my wrists

We don't.
Just lift, lol.

OwO

Just fucking lift and dont be a pussy. You get aches and pains but you train through them.

Am I the only guy who likes both olympic lifting and powerlifting? I find both very cool honestly
I don't know much about Strongman but it seems enjoyable too

It's pretty tasty bait