How to activate chest on bench press?

How the fuck do I bench press, Jow Forums?

I'm arching my back, keeping my legs at 90°, keeping my arms at 45-75°, and pinching my shoulders together, and I still can't feel this shit in my chest. Plus, the shoulder pinching has caused a sharp pain between my shoulder blades to develop.

Attached: 1560114160700.jpg (619x631, 108K)

Other urls found in this thread:

youtu.be/i-IeB_BFbQs
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

Have you tried lifting the weight?

i just flex my chest

flex as if you are trying to pull the bar apart

You’re not using enough weight.

use dumbbells instead of meme barbell for "muh strength numbers"

Get a small-ish towel

Roll it into a cylinder

Place it between your shoulder blades while your lying correctly on the bench.

Imagine trying to squeeze the towel at all times while performing the lift. It'll force the shoulders back and bring the chest up.

How i was taught to bench properly years ago.

Also, be careful about having too narrow a grip, you'll bring the triceps into it too much.

A mix of this.
Your arms are basically too weak to lift enough weight to feel it in your chest. Bench with dumbbells to get used to the balance and build arm and shoulder strength.

What the fuck are using to lift if not the chest?

Yea i usually don't feel it either op, but it doesn't matter. You're still moving the bar and that's all that matters. Don't worry about "activating muscles"

Incline bench.

It's that you have 0 muscle to be activated. It's a common issue for lats too when you're just starting. I'd recommend a rep scheme similar to myoreps or something for your chest workouts, for a couple of months at least.

Or just add weight to your bench lmao

It's like a flye, user.
I always do a couple of quick flye-motions before benching to cue myself. You're contracting your chest, which pulls inward, but the bar need to move up.
During a DB flye, your hand naturally come together. But you're holding a barbell, which prevents that. Instead, your elbows come in, supported by your triceps, and your arms straighten out.
Focus on activating your chest like you're doing a flye. The barbell will move naturally upwards.

Attached: shitpost.png (549x434, 10K)

Grab your pec and flex, do 5 reps 5 sets a day till you can flex them without touching.

This user has the right idea. Lie on a bench, grab a pec, and then move the arm in a motion like you are doing flys. Feel how your chest muscle activates. Continue that motion deliberately focusing on activating that muscle. Do about 10 each arm, or until you know you are activating your chest. Next, do the same thing but do a bench press motion instead of a fly motion. Push with your chest. Again, about 10 each arm or until you feel your chest doing the work. After that, move on to benching just the bar. Focus on pushing with your chest. Do a set of 10, then start your actual sets. Always focus on using your chest and not compensating with your arms. I used to have the same problem.

I also rarely feel much chest activation, but I do multiple types of chest exercises so I always get a sore chest.

This machine activates my chest like nothing else. It's the last thing I do on a chest day and always get a lasting burn.

Attached: a8c28b2b9c30de2e9f46ff1d9152bb1f--weight-machine-getting-fit[1].jpg (604x755, 101K)

This, also squeeze the bar as if you are trying to bend it into a U shape with the loop going behind you and the plates going forward

Also tuck your ribs down (activate abs) and flex lats

Is it ok to keep a flat back while benching? Or is the arch mandatory?

The arch helps to raise the chest and activate it.

In powerlifting its also used to decrease the range of motion.

Its not necessary, however the chest should always be kept high.

I love this machine. Is it for girls? What if I never do anything but this machine?

This needs saying, also don’t forget your buttplug.

I don't get the cue for "ribs down", what am I supposed to do?

How do weighted dips compare with flat bench?

I feel like my chest is going to explode after doing dips. I don't get close to the same feeling with flat bench.

If doing tricep accessories, chest dips, and OHP....is flat bench even necessary?

Unpopular opinion: no exercise is "necessary", not even the big 3/5. If you are doing it and it's working for you and you see the results you want, then no it isn't necessary.

It is impossible not to use your chest when benching. Stop coping, you're just weak. And also whether you "feel the burn" is a terrible fucking metric to use.

I don't either desu, I've a shit bench though, try moving your hands towards each while gripping the bar to flex your chest

>Tfw closer to 1xbodyweight OHP and 5 pl8 deadlift than 3 plate bench

I bench with shit form and I always get a gigantic pump in my chest when I bench. I think its because I use full rom or something.

Link related.
youtu.be/i-IeB_BFbQs

Dont worry, im working on my form

my bench goes in this diagonal direction too where I bring it down in line with my nipples and then push it back up and move it in line with my eyes. Isn't it supposed to be a straight line?

Thats actually correct form bro. One of the few things I do right

>Ass off bench

Yikes

cable fly

i wanna sit on that guy's lap hnggggg

Sick decline brench press, bro.

I see girls using it but like most upper body workouts, it's primarily men. Women are just squatting and using the leg machines.

Back flat agaisnt bench is retarded and a vip ticket to snap city.

Okay this is a dead srs question. I've only ever worked out at home with dumbbells before. Just joined a gym and want to bench press, worried I'm gonna embarrass myself though.

I do incline dumbbell presses with 45lbs in each hand at home. What would be a decent starting weight to bench? Should I just go do an empty bar and then slowly add on and not care who is looking?

Start at 100lb.

Yes. I see some people doing ridiculous amounts of warm up sets before getting to their actual weight. It wouldn't look out of place at all to go up 10 llbs or so each set for several sets

Warm up sets aren't required if he's doing other.compounds before bench. So 8f he is he can start at 100lb as it will be easier than dumbbells and he will be able to push that up easily.

post chest, and checked

fuck bro I just wanna look good

I think he means slowly adding weight wont stand out because he sees a lot of ripped guys doing it. Since he doesnt know how much he can truly bench, he can do the same and not stand out.

I started at about the same strength as you user, started at about 100 after some home gains. Theres nothing you can do, swallow the pride and do your 100 pound bench presses while you get mogged on both sides of you. Keep at it, get to 1pl8 and you wont feel so BTFO anymore.