Rows or Cleans?

Beginner here. Should I do rows or cleans?

Attached: clean_bottom_0.jpg (1000x1250, 409K)

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=2ggG1M2gGes
youtube.com/watch?v=VVGUORtcFn0
youtube.com/watch?v=qXE1V5QKE1Y
youtube.com/watch?v=DR8fdro3e8A
youtube.com/watch?v=hA5DexJoco4
youtube.com/watch?v=_PKsKJvFQwQ
youtube.com/watch?v=-2gSuEaMagA
youtube.com/watch?v=Hrxex6ZBEAw
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

Deadlift for strength (overcoming resistance) alternating with power cleans for power (overcoming resistance in shortest amount of time). Rows are lower back intense and will only hinder your deadlift recovery, so you might as well just prioritise diddlys so you can utilise a higher weight and get more gains in return. Swap rows for exercises that don’t tax your central nervous system too much. I would recommend shrugs/farmer walks for traps and pull-ups/chin-ups for lats.

Attached: 45D32A80-7592-43A3-A12D-D61EF194BA42.jpg (602x602, 45K)

is she natty?

>is she natty?
>she

Cable rows

Thanks

I'd recommend doing both, but do them after squats/deadlifts and go for more reps than high weight. Also alternate them each workout

Your training goals determine your program exercise selection specificity.
Do you have a personal trainer who can coach you through proper clean form?
Do you want to do oly?
Do you deadlift?
What kind of gym do you go to? Does it allow for oly lifting?
What program are you on?
For most people I'd just advise doing rows since cleans and their power variation are hard to learn properly by yourself can be a waste of time to learn if you just want to do powerlifting and/or just get stronger, which just deadlifting+rows will be sufficient for.

do rows,once you plateau in rows do muscle cleans

power cleans are very technical and i find more benefits from muscle cleans

Power cleans if you have access to bumper plates and room/ability to drop the weights.
Otherwise do pendlay rows

Some fine opinions here, I'll tell you my experience. I really like pull-ups. I think neutral grip ones are amazing both for arms and for back (some research on muscle activation shows this as well). So for hypertrophy I'd say pull-ups are very nice. For a pump to kill the back, cable rows and db rows are also amazing.

Now for the cleans. I recently started doing them and man - they feel amazing. Honestly, you won't get much hypertrophy from them (some traps and lower back for sure though), you probably are not going to immensely increase your deadlift strenght if that's your thing. But they just feel amazing, probably the only exercise - with OHP/push press coming second - that does not make you feel like a gym rat. Honestly, try them.

Pic is me just from pull-ups. You can see that there is not much thickness, and prolly the lower back/erectors can be better, but it's generally quite fine.

Attached: IMG_20190525_095032~2.jpg (2752x3456, 1.76M)

whats your bodyweight and how many consecutive pull ups can you do ?

85 kg
20-22 overhand, 25+ neutral on any given day
I do them weighted. Yesterday I did 5x+27.5, 3x30, 4x37.5, 5x35, 4x35, 5x32
and so on to 25.

Attached: IMG_20190426_180047~2.jpg (2870x2685, 993K)

mirin

have you ever tested your weighted pull up max ?

how long did it take you to reach that level ?

she has fuzzy arms, and a grandma face.
>not that I can be choosy.

Man, I did +50 a couple of times when I was around 90-92 kilos. Probably the most weight I've pulled. Couldn't pull up the gf though, she's 60 kg. Thanks!

I couldn't do a pull up when 15-16. Started with negatives. Then half-reps. At 17-18-19-20 I was doing 10x10 each day, started SS around 22, added pull-ups after 6 months, fucked around, 23-24 started nsuns, now after a 6 months pause, I'm doing pull-ups as main move instead of deadlift, alongside with OHP, bench, squat for 2 months now

cleans are too technical for a beginner, especially if you don't have someone to teach you technique

Rippetoe just made a good video about them

nice one so it took you years to reach that

also, whats you Ohp max ?

Do RDLs or SLDLs plus Barbell Bent Over Rows.

Do rows and pull ups

>Swap rows for exercises that don’t tax your central nervous system too much. I would recommend shrugs/farmer walks
>exercises that don’t tax your central nervous system
>farmers walks

Ask me how I know you're a little bitch who thinks taking a stroll with a pair of dumbbells is a farmers walk.

Try to sprint 50yds with 300+lbs per hand and tell me your CNS isn't fucked up for a couple days after.

Attached: e05ddf60574606562061562fec498be1.png (420x294, 38K)

Well he did say farmers walk, not sprints...

Forget cleans unless you need to be explosive for sports.
Yates row is best row.

>mfw seeing tutorial videos on how to do power clean

Holy shit. Is there no alternative to that exercise? I think I'll break my puny wrists when I do that workout.

doesn’t really matter
rows aren’t a great main lift, they’re better as an accessory done 3-4x8-15
cleans aren’t necessary for strength or powerlifting, but they’re good for general athleticism and if you’re a serious lifter you should probably learn the movement at least
you can also do power snatch, light accessory deadlifts (opposite stance, deficit, paused etc), chins, ghr etc, or just do a light deadlift day

bb rows pull ups are the alternatives
but learn to do pcs because they rock.
it took nearly 3-4 months to be able to do pcs yet it's still not perfect.

>Yates row is best row.
Only if you hate your biceps

Those are farmers walks

Cleans are one of the few lifts that separate men from gym faggots. They teach you how to actually use all of your muscles at once in an explosive manner and to do them well requires you also having good flexibility, posture and core strength.

Most gym rats don't do them because it exposes just how shit tier weak they are at actually using their body in a coordinated manner. The fact that almost every professional athlete in almost all sports uses them while your typical gym rat doesn't should tell you all you need to know.

In general the guys I see doing cleans most often are gym hipsters who don't move much weight or look that good

Cleans are fun, do those. Front lever inverted rows are also fun, progress up to those. If you're inflexible, uncoordinated and/or fat just do barbell rows and hate yourself like the other fatasses.

and of course, every day is pull-up day so you just do more of those when you're hitting your back or targeting your pulling muscles.

65kg x 4, going for a five today

Here is the video for convenience
youtube.com/watch?v=2ggG1M2gGes

>clean bottom
how do you know?

I'll check it out

>power cleans for power
>40 kg power cleans
>once per 1 or 2 weeks
>for power
For beginner power cleans in SS plan are waste of time. OP, do dumbbell rows.

Nice. We have the same watch.

Absolute rubbish, LMAO. Klokov's and Torokhtiy's explanations are much better.

youtube.com/watch?v=VVGUORtcFn0
youtube.com/watch?v=qXE1V5QKE1Y
youtube.com/watch?v=DR8fdro3e8A

youtube.com/watch?v=hA5DexJoco4
youtube.com/watch?v=_PKsKJvFQwQ
youtube.com/watch?v=-2gSuEaMagA
youtube.com/watch?v=Hrxex6ZBEAw

>just jump and shrug
This

Cleans look like they'd absolutely fuck your elbows. Rows. Watch Jeff's video on them