When did you realize that college is a scam

When did you realize that college is a scam.

> 40 plus thousand dollars in dept
>cant default on dept
> half of the graduates don't even use their degrees
> most people going are only there because they're pressured into doing it by everyone around them
> two to four years of paying for the privilege to basically teaching yourself
> all you get is a piece of paper

If College was presented that's a new idea today it would be considered a scam.

Attached: oldcourtgrad1.jpg (2048x1361, 488K)

Its not going to college itself that makes getting that degree worth it. Sure a good chunk of graduates never use their degree, and most will have thousands in debt, but it is worth it for that degree. A college graduate looks much better on a resume than a high school graduate.
Although that being said you should only go to college if you need to for the job you want to do. If you are just wasting time with a philosophy degree, or gender studies don't bother.

Using this logic, anything can be a scam. If you actually go to college for a degree in an in-demand field, you can easily get a job and make money. If you go to college for your "dream job" that probably isn't in-demand, than I guess it is a scam. Don't fall for the follow your dreams meme if your dream is about having fun and not making money

Is trade school a meme bros?
20 year old and don't know what to do with my life

As long as you have realistic expectations about trade school, sure its worth it.

My little brother just got his A+P (aircraft mechanic) license. It took him 18 months and cost 36k, and he got a job right out of training making $26/hour as a 21 year old with no experience.

Attached: dsadsa.jpg (770x400, 66K)

>paying for college
just get into a scholarship program man

I hope u told him you're proud. I'm almost a year finished with my sparkly training and I still can't find an apprenticeship

>dept
yeah lol how could college fools allow themselves to be SCAMMED (epic style) lol

>going into debt to go to school
Oh no
>going into debt to go to school without even having a plan for what you want to study
Oh no no no no
>going into debt to go to school with no plan and not even bothering to network with people
PFFFFFHAHAHAHAHAHAAAA

Enjoy your eternal debt moron, if only somebody educated you about making rational decisions instead of whatever the fuck you wasted your time on in public school

Attached: pffghghaga.gif (500x344, 350K)

>tfw dad was a professor so paid no tuition and had no student debts
even if i had to get student loans i would do it. college is pretty fun and an unironically good place to network

>Have to take a bunch of gen ed bullshit that eats up your time and prevents you from focusing on your major
Had a fucking creative writing they made us all take our freshman year, I couldn't take it until my junior year and it was such a fucking wasteful time consuming hassle

I followed my dreams and it all worked out, I now have a stable job that pays for my needs and all of my wants as well, now saving for retirement.

Then again I'm not stupid and pretty lucky, so most things tend to work out for me without really having to try.

Should have gone to community college. Costs a fraction of what 4 year university does for filler courses that don't matter, then transfer to whatever school as a junior with more than half your credits already done. It's what I did. Got an associates, then went to university as a junior and got my bachelors.

College is a great investment if you can make decent money straight after graduation. Problem is a lot of kids major in stupid shit and don't bother getting internships (which are absolutely crucial for landing a job btw) so at the end of their 3-4 years they're in debt and worthless to employers. Fuck those lazy cunts. No sympathy from me.

> privileged Rich Boy Bragg's about Daddy's connections

How does it feel living in a shadow

it's even easier to get into college this way because they have tons of drop out seats to fill further proving that college goers are idiots

Most 18 year old kids just listen to what their teachers and parents tell them. I wish I would've done that, although I would've missed out on fun times in the dorms. I mainly regret choosing a science major. A fucking waste, wish I did some programming classes

Just get an internship bro!

Attached: Blank+_95cc0ed64ed5b8a31d40ae11c5b02c33.jpg (306x306, 20K)

i am very grateful for it. we're not a super rich family but was never wanting thanks to my parents working hard. i just mentioned it because i wanted to chime in on the notion that college is a waste of time and money and felt it was relevant

Well thanks for your thread contribution

> get a job by working for free!

I got paid 22k during a 10 week internship. Boss was impressed with my work and offered double that plus a small equity stake in the firm. You just have to learn to hustle dude.

>the firm
>Just gotta hustle lol

Lawyers don't Hustle they steal LOL you're irrelevant

Lol I'm a trader. And yea hustle, I know what I'm worth. I wouldn't work at a no name fund if I didn't negotiate for better pay.

I'm going to the local community college and it's great. I get to live in my parents basement for a few more years and it's only costing a fraction of what a four year school would have. I'm so glad I didn't buy into any of that "dream school" bullshit where you move half way across the country and financially destroy yourself. All my friends went to four year schools and will inevitably be in debt for the rest of their lives. The problem is that people look down on community colleges because they have such low standards for acceptance (I just sent them my diploma and they let me in).

Boomer tier logic
STEM is a psyop. Only Tech and some Eng offer good jobs out of college (ChemE is taking a plunge though). But the problem is, only tech has job growth matching graduation numbers in the field.

>tfw wanna become a chef
>tfw you literally have to work yourself to death and beyond to make what others would make at a cushy 9-5 deskjockey job
this world is mad fucking gay

I wanted to go to art school, but I got kicked out. Now going to a lower-tier school for writing/English degree. I feel like I fucked myself even more. Artists have connections and get by on nepotism. Nobody needs somebody with a writing degree.

Attached: 00998ACD-5CA1-4154-BE3A-215D5D0A5725.jpg (639x638, 48K)

It used to be that if you went to college your pay increased by 30% (don't know the exact number) it would be stupid not to go to college but parents still think its like that

College is great. Go into healthcare and make loads of $$$ off all the aging boomers.

Unironically train to become a mortician/funeral director. A fuckton of people are going to be dying in the next two decades, funeral services will be extremely lucrative.

You have to be not repulsed by death in order to do that. Most share that aversion, though.

The whole 'education system' is a scam.

In medieval times it was necessary to build a common education level through institutions in order to level humanity's intellect. Those times are long gone.

Today, nobody needs a 'teacher' or a 'professor'. Those people are all just corrupt baby boomers handing the power to each other, sitting in their cozy jobs and exploiting generation after generation until they die.

In the country I live in, you literally have the police kick in your door and drag you to school if you don't attend. You HAVE TO go to school until you're 18. Think about this. A whole state, an entire nation with an army forces you to go to school. Let that sink in.

Today you have all of humanity's knowledge in the palm of your hand, literally, if you have a phone. You can learn anything and everything yourself. You just need the ambition to do it. In universities, all you get is a worthless piece of paper handed out by a corrupt baby boomer, which reads: "I am more privileged than anyone who doesn't possess this paper."

TL;DR: Education institutions are a relic of the past. Do not attend or support universities. Go out in the world and educate yourself. Learn REAL LIFE skills and apply yourself.

Attached: 0f5e18971f7de191961862d67fbfd5a9.jpg (511x394, 36K)

>In the country I live in, you literally have the police kick in your door and drag you to school if you don't attend. You HAVE TO go to school until you're 18. Think about this. A whole state, an entire nation with an army forces you to go to school. Let that sink in.
When you were 12 would you have gone to school if it wasn't mandatory? No. Even though it has its problems school is good for kids and gives them grounds to study anything they want.

How do I get a job as a trader? I major in accounting and finance and I want to work on a trading floor. I don't think I can get a good internship because my GPA is pretty shit. How do I break in?

I don't think that it's accurate to call it a scam. There CAN be a lot of value to a college degree, but I don't think they're usually marketed properly.

We should stop pretending two things. First, that everyone should go to college; they shouldn't. Second, that college is a box that, once checked, yields a guaranteed reward. The reality is that college can be an import part of a larger plan for advancing in life. You need to have a clear and practicable plan about what you're studying and how you're going to make use of your degree. Then once you get it you have to work very hard to take full advantage of it. Do it right and the reward is great. You only have to look at the wage premium that people with bachelor's degrees command over people with high school diplomas to see that's true.

I went $55,000 into debt to get an M.A. in economics and I don't regret it in the slightest.

Get a job in the back office and do an extraordinarily good job. Go to extreme lengths to make yourself known to people in the front office. Then, when a vacancy opens, apply for it. That's how I did it.

The problem is that since the 6th grade for at least six years the school, parents, friends, counselors and college recruiters have been telling these minors that if they don't pay up and go to school they will be complete and utter social Rejects and failure Flippin burgers. ( note there's nothing wrong with actual flipping burgers)

So then you have a bunch of normies and whatnot kids straight out of high school just picking classes and racking up Debt for no good reason. College recruiters and nearly every High School teacher pretends that the only way to be successful is to get a piece of paper and that's so fucking wrong.

I agree with you. There should be a lot more emphasis on trade schools, apprenticeship programs, and community colleges. Those would probably benefit more people than four year universities would.

The good thing is that I think people are waking up to that fact. There's more and more of an understanding that "college for everyone" has been a failed experiment. It was born out of good intentions, but it hasn't worked.

Trades are shit in the long run. You work insane hours doing hard labor that breaks your body down. That's not even mentioning the politics and rampant nepotism.

connections, and doing well in econ at a target school. every shithead trader that ik is from penn, internship, bachelors in econ.

Tell me that, at least, teachers don't make you lose an entire semester because their union ordered to strike until they get pay what they want.
I live in a third world country, where public UNIs are free, but as you yanks use to say: There's no such thing as a free lunch.
We have to deal with that bullshit, among others like schools installations in ruinous state, corrupt authorities, political struggles and faction wars between different student groups (most of them are commies, left-wingers), student council that do jack shit other than trying to make students to join their ranks.

>be danish
>Some of the smaller college degrees can be taken right after primary school, as an alternative to highschool.
>Be able to take "HF". 2 year highschool with no bullshit.
>Actual college/university free.

Primary school is stupid here, but HS and uni is great and free.
Our education is so good that even the uneducated are educated.
We are also allowed to drink beer LEGALLY at any age, so fuck you USA

Attached: 1534027325720.jpg (700x698, 81K)

Good luck with those sandniggers.

We are working with deporting Syrians "refugees", because ISIS is almost defeated and there is peace in most parts of the country

>not having rich parents that pay for your college

Attached: 1551233371277.png (400x336, 41K)

Ja aber Freiday for future sind wichtig und dann muessen die Kinder nicht in die Schule weil es Teil der staatlichen Agenda ist weil die Umwelt ist ganz wichtig du scheiss Nazi

Sort of beside the point. The question here is whether or not college is worth the money. The answer to that question isn't dependent on who is paying for it.

>Rich parents pay for college
>Could've used that kind of money to buy me a fucking house if I hadn't gone for the college meme

You have to be older than 18 to post here.

College is good for some things, stem degrees are typically worth the investment, opening doors and broadening your options. Sure, you might not use your degree but you have proof that you're educated and that is definitely worth something.

> are also allowed to drink beer LEGALLY at any age, so fuck you USA
even when you are 10 y.o.?

Yes. You have to be 16 to buy alcohol, but i's legal for your parents to buy it, and then give it to you