What did ancient greek gymnasiums look like and what kind of exercises did they do in them?

What did ancient greek gymnasiums look like and what kind of exercises did they do in them?

Attached: 6362388-16x9-700x394.jpg (700x394, 50K)

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=BxWkRyS75k4
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

Thenx calisthenics program

I don't understand how their legs are so big and thick? I squat and my legs are smaller than theirs and they didn't have squat racks. Redpill me on how they trainined legs wtf?

Listening to the Iliad and the Odyssey atm. I assume they did boxing, wrestling, javelin, discus, running, archery, and fencing. Homer hasn't mentioned any deadlifts or bicep curls.

Box jump pistol squat landing

goat squats 3x5

OP's pic is heavily related.

lifting up boulders and shit

artist's rendition idealizes proportions

to OP : gymnasiums were pretty much chillout plazas where men hung out, drank sometimes, shot the shit, and had programmed workouts (usually performing athletes and stuff)

high protein food and non stop labour of various kinds, also horse riding and just walking everywhere build big legs.

>horse riding and walking everywhere build big legs

For the horse maybe

There can be no weak legs in the phalanx.

Attached: 1359803952695.jpg (800x581, 196K)

bump

fucking ass

Jumping and running.

They didn't use training like we do today. They just did what they wanted to be good at (and it stayed that way until the mid-19th century pretty much).

literally this including animal anus

bumping for interest

>Homer hasn't mentioned any deadlifts or bicep curls.
Isn't deadlift an old thing though?

picking up heavy shit to impress your boys is probably older than recorded history but that's not really a deadlift

What is it about horse riding that develops legs? I have never rode one but every girl i have know that rides horses was in good shape and had thick, muscular legs and hips

You basically control the horse with your legs. Gotta squeeze that motherfucker constantly, not to mention staying on the horse. I've heard that riding a horse at a full gallop is similar to straight up running somewhere in terms of how much it exhausts you, but i'm not an equestrian.

You spend a lot of time squaring, especially with a rising trot / canter. People who claim the horse does all the work has not ridden horses (except for a plodding hack you might do as a layman punter). That said, a full gallop is pretty easy going for the rider as you hold yourself up and out of the saddle and let the horse go... A controlled canter on the other hand will take it out of you.

t. Been riding horses since before I could walk

Thats cool as fuck, im gonna look into somewhere to teach me how to ride now

Try grabbing your opponent's penis 5x10.

They practiced jumping, Epictetus mentions leaping weights being used in athletic training.

lmao that was fucking funny. Seriously though, spend a few hours clutching onto a horse with your legs and tell me that you don't feel it.

user, have you ever trained as a competitive rider?

Not really I mean a lot of them didn’t ride with saddles so you’re basically squeezing your legs together to keep you on the horse.

Wouldn't that only build your adductors though? Why would they have big quads?

Obviously not ya big eejit

So.. a lot of bodyweight stuff? They got deadlift legs by just jumping up and down? Did they have ring sets like daniel vadnal?

>tfw no anciet greek naked only gymnasiums to hang out with the boys

Attached: 1536592890924.png (300x250, 13K)

There's a story about an athlete carrying a valf around all day, through a year. As the calf grew heavier, the athlete grew stronger.

So they had the idea of progressive overloading down.

Milo of Croton. Check out his death

And this would be even more true for ancient Mediterranean horsemen, since they didn't have stirrups. Alexander and his companion cavalry must have had crazy strong legs.

Attached: Alexander companion cavalry.jpg (564x372, 57K)

It's hard to believe that people took so long to invent stirrups. You'd think the first thing you'd think of is somewhere comfy to put your feet. That's why I always laugh when people talk about "ancient wisdom", at least in the sense of being more advanced and enlightened than the people of today. They didn't even have fucking wheelbarrows until the middle ages.

>The date of Milo's death is unknown, but he reportedly was attempting to tear a tree apart when his hands became trapped in a crevice in its trunk, and a pack of wolves surprised and devoured him.

Hindsight is 20/20 as they say, user

lmao I fucking love the ancients. Imagine living in a time when women were awarded to men as a prize. They would vomit in rage if they could see what we've become.

>implying gyms aren't the same now

>It's hard to believe that people took so long to invent stirrups. You'd think the first thing you'd think of is somewhere comfy to put your feet. That's why I always laugh when people talk about "ancient wisdom", at least in the sense of being more advanced and enlightened than the people of today. They didn't even have fucking wheelbarrows until the middle ages.
Most American post ITT.

How so young man?

Extremely bad education, especially regarding history.

If you're referring to Chinese wheelbarrows I'm not interested. This is a European board.

Contrary to your education, philosophers were nerds to be made fun of in ancient Greece.

Socrates was not only ripped, he was FUCKING ripped. Pretty much every Greek philosopher, poet, tragedian, and so on would have been, because they were all adult male citizens, and either had to fight in the army or (later) row in the fleet. Or both.

People underestimate the level of physical exertion these things required. These guys worked out EVERY day. They worked out so much that they actually liked working out. They lived to work out. Their entire leisure time was composed of working out and getting gay over how hot their bods were in the balmy Mediterranean sun. The first ten fucking pages in Plato's FIRST dialogue have Socrates lusting over a teenager's sweaty, manly pecs through his toga. Socrates likens himself to a lion that is about to gobble up its prey. He can barely control himself. That is how the Western philosophical tradition starts: homoerotic lust for ripped abs. When Alcibiades, the manliest man in history, bursts into the famous drinking party, at which the guests are discussing the urbane topic of Love, it is to ask Socrates why he never fucked him in the ass when they cuddled. You know how the dialogue ends? Socrates goes to the gym and works out.

>That's why I always laugh when people talk about "ancient wisdom", at least in the sense of being more advanced and enlightened than the people of today.
Talking about this progressivist thinking.

And we had wheelbarrows in antiquity of course. US wikipedia strangely only mentions this in passing as a controversial theory.

Modern recreations and reconstructions have not even succeeded in duplicating the physical feats reported of the Athenian soldiery - that is, the Athenian citizenry. Often, modern historians doubt that these feats are even being accurately reported, for instance the straight dash of the Athenian army across the entire field at Marathon. This is because modern athletes and bodybuilders can't even do these things, even with relatively light gear compared to what the Athenians actually carried. It took a team of Olympic master rowers to even APPROXIMATE the sailing techniques of the Athenian fleet, outside of combat conditions, on a placid sea. The entire Athenian fleet was regularly capable of these maneuvers, season after season, year after year, campaign after campaign. The sole engine of these maneuvers was muscle. Raw, sweaty, heaving Athenian muscle. Athenian men were the envy of the Aegean.

It is understandable that modern historians, coming from a society of flabby, skinnyfat wimps, are unable to comprehend the sheer manliness of Athens. Socrates saved Alciabiades in a hoplite battle in the Peloponnesian War. Aeschylus, the tragic poet, fought at Marathon. And all of them worked out and fucked ass, at every moment they weren't literally inventing Western civilisation.

>Talking about this progressivist thinking.
So which ancient aliens do you believe in?

>doesn't know what progressivist thinking means
You know... why do I even bother talking to Americans?

In b4
>B-but I'm not American, YEEHAW, I mean, toodle-pip

ancient greeks were also like 5'2", it's easy for manlets to put on legmass

there was a lot of gay sex

Please stop posting.

Attached: MVj9j03.png (800x500, 62K)

Come on lad, we both know you're desperate to dump the wisdom of the ancients on me, and how Nephilim really existed, the pyramids were spaceships, man lived to be 10000 years old. Come on lad, which civilisation is it?

The fuck are you talking about, Jamal?

fuckin gets me everytime
thanks bro

Lol for fucks sake, which ancient civilisation do you believe trumps ours?

So they were still mega manlets? If your height starts with 5 then you have an easier time putting on mass. It's known.

I say YOUNG MAN pull yourself off the ground
There’s a PLACE THERE
CALED THE YMCA

Is that ad or BC? What's the geographical scope?

To be fair, it hadn't been that long since some clever fellow figured out how to ride on top of the horse instead of on a chariot behind it. Improvements to the saddle would take time.
>They didn't even have fucking wheelbarrows until the middle ages.
There's no incentive to create labor saving devices when hard labor is mostly done by telling one of your slaves to do it. Bonus fun fact: early in the middle ages, they also invented the concept of putting a space between words when you write. Also, forks!

Attached: 1200px-Brennus_and_Camillus.jpg (1200x1449, 578K)

Not him, but it's gotta be Atlantis, bro.

Attached: atlantis-18.jpg (960x716, 234K)

So how did people read words in ancient Rome?

That's a problem I have with Brad Pitt playing Achilles in the movie Troy. His calves barely filled out the greaves he was wearing. It was hard to believe he was this bad ass warrior when he couldn't even fill out his armor.

Attached: brad_pitt_30.jpg (500x355, 57K)

by doing farm work and walk around with heavy shit on their bakc all day

Hi BAP :)

Very interesting, thanks.

Nope, barbell lifts werent really a thing till the 1800's. Most of weightlifting is a modernish conception

So it was really all calisthenics at the time?

What did ancient greek gymnasiums smell like?

Really long words, then guess where the word ended. Dead fucking serious

this isnt true,back in ancient china soldiers had to pass weight-lifting exams.
kettlebells and indian clubs are used in india(duh),persia and iran

>Story about the ancients testing themselves
>Immediately jumps to why can't men get women as prizes anymore
Stop being obsessed with pussy you fucking beta

No grains.
Grains are for slaves

No, they had dumbbells

Also lifting plain stones is even older

Attached: 1280px-Halteres_from_ancient_Greece.jpg (1280x851, 123K)

Just train legs everyday

youtube.com/watch?v=BxWkRyS75k4

They trained 8 hours everyday btw

I want to make a video game about 2D fighting men from diffrent countries and each tiem you win you add on of their country's girls to your harem.
i thought of possible opponents:
>afro-american boxer(gives you black afro girl)
>russian sambo guy(gives you blonde mail order bride)
>karate guy without skin on his knuckles(gives you traditionalist japanese girl)

>Kettle balls and weight exams are the same as barbell lifts
Weights and resistance training != Barbell lifts such as the bench press or deadlifts, nor does it include rep and set schemes like modern day lifting. There's a reason I called out BARBELL lifts
Mostly calisthenics, but there was weight resistance training such as Greeks having something similar to stone dumbells, although those were usually on the lighter side. Wrestling and training for sports or combat was far more common and the norm in most of human history

whats the ideal body for combat?
can you be a good at wrestling/grabbing fights and striking fights like boxing at the same time?

Attached: neck pill.jpg (1280x720, 84K)

>can you be a good at wrestling/grabbing fights and striking fights like boxing at the same time?
Yes, but the stance for wrestling and the stance for boxing are two totally different styles, and should be watched for. Also I've never wrestled, though I've trained with wrestlers, judo+ boxing for me. In terms of ideal, ignoring roids, heavier is usually better as long as you're cardio is still in the 5k in 18 minutes range and you can keep a solid pace for at least a half hour.
Personal opinion which I'm sure people disagree with I'd say the ideal weight for a combination of strength+ cardio would be roughly 175 lbs at 5'10, increase the weight by 5-10 lbs for each inch upwards.

be a manlet and bearmode.
Not even kidding, I have fought with all kinds of people that range 2m to little manlets and I probably can take them all, however, I have that deep careful dread when it comes to these guys.
The moment they are under your reach, you are fucked.

finally!
my manletness will prove useful.

Attached: sad wojak.png (225x225, 4K)

Koala mode when?

i dont think running for half an hour is ever advisable,
i advocate doing 5 powerful short sprints a day

Attached: jog-vs-sprint.jpg (337x391, 28K)

>T. Doesn't know how long a boxing match or wrestling tournament can be
>Or a fatfuck
You need to be able to last at least 30 minutes at a midhigh jog, because a grappling match will be twice as Turing and if it lasts more than 3 minutes you will lose.
>Inb4 streetlights are all ended in a few seconds
Depends on how tough and mean the guy/s you're fighting are.
Also a marathoner like pic related doesn't run for 30 minutes, he runs for hours

Tiring*

Achilles was a sprinter.

>If they get under your reach
>If
Lern 2 footwork/elbows/headbutt/throw

>there is alway that one guy..
I am all aware of the technicality of combat, all I am saying is that these are the people who have the best odds bringing you down, no matter your abilities.

That's where I disagree though, the guy with the best odds to wreck shit, at least bodywise and ignoring training, is the huge ass muscled up dude who's a giant. Would rather take on a swole manlet than a swole giant.

To an extent, I agree. I have fought against behemoths and all the dread I have is only at the beginning of the fight. Once it is actually down to it, they are clumsy and very open to simple takedowns, at least to my experience. All the giants have also very weak legs which are the slowest part of them all.
Big guys are slow meme is stupid, although, all you need is a good takedown, once in the ground, they are finished as all the rest who are back against the ground and waiting for that good fist up their face

For me it's Zealandia

Running for 30 minutes is fucking nothing, it won't "kill" your gains. I do this every single morning and I'm not even thin or lean at all. I'm 6'4" 210lbs and about 15-18%bf on a recomp and not losing any weight from it. It took me about 3 weeks to fully adjust to it starting from ZERO cardio, and now I barely even get winded and only break a light sweat from it. Just stop being a pussy and eat more.

Basically anything that made them better at conquering neighboring nations and fighting back hordes. Including wrestling, gymnastics, basic weightlifting, archery, horseback riding, sword fighting, etc.