Is 5x5 a meme?

Is 5x5 a meme?
It's literally just 3 exercises 3 times a week, seems pretty low.

Attached: redshirtDL.webm (640x640, 2.6M)

>Not having gym bros to goof around at the gym and then shower together

sometimes I just want to end it bros

It's all a beginner needs. Once a few months pass he will need to add volume in the form of other exercises and lifting more often.

it'll make you stronger, but you will look like shit if you don't do a fuckton of additional work
t. did 5x5 for a year plus with no accessories and I look like I've never worked out a single day in my life.

lol u gay

why?

You're not meant to do it for a year you brainlet

give me a routine to switch to then, non-brainlet.

Intermediate programming is absurdly vast
I'm doing 3-day Texas Method and it works well for me
Alternatively you could do HLM, PPL, 4-Day Texas Method, world is your lobster my fren

ppl

I'm doing SL5x5, on month two. I started adding a bunch of accessories because I want to look good naked.

that robotic deadlift setup is the best

No, it isn't. Those are the core. Those are non-negotiable lifts. The starting point. You add accessories as needed. I.E. curls on row day, dips on bench day, calf raises every other day, wrist work every other day, lat raises and rotator cuff work on OHP day, etc. Think for yourself for fuck's sake. Make adjustments. I very gradually modified mine into an A/B six day split that hits everything. I alternate between 5x5 and 3x8-12 every few weeks and it's working fantastic for me still. If a muscle is falling behind in strength, switch to a strength rep range for that muscle for a few weeks. If a muscle is getting ahead and you want to stay balanced, switch to a pure hypertrophy range for a few weeks like 4x12 with less weight. Be flexible and think for yourself, it's not fucking rocket science.

This is why the gym at UT Dallas is considered a joke.

ppl 3 or 6 days a week?

Start at 3 and work your way up to 6.

6. Only hitting each muscle once a week means no gains.

It's a very fun routine, but I did add myself some weighted dips, weighted chins and when I have time I do some curls. The training is very fun and it is challenging, as you do big heavy movements which require quite a bit of skill to perform correctly, like squats and OHP. Have done it for 6 months from complete and utter dyel and now I'm still dyel, but there is a tiny bit of a hint of muscle on me. Gained like 6 kilograms in the process so far.

it is if you don't ramp your sets
set 1: 50%, set 2: 60% ... set 5: 100% of the weight you were supposed to lift

otherwise you'll likely be overtrained

It's more volume than the vast majority of Jow Forums needs to make progress. DYELs love to complicate shit.

PPL is legimately the most pants on head retarded thing to do for almost everybody

It's great for people who are new to lifting and aren't able to handle much volume yet.

Brainlet...
1:50%
2:60%
3:70%
4:80%
5:90(100)%

Same. Switched to PPL and starting to see some aesthetic improvement.

Don't overlook 5x5 tho...strength is a good foundation

fuck off

I feel like it is. I'm 3,5 month into 5x5 routine with calorie surplus, high protein and the only changes that are visible are my strength gains.

Why?

>he fell for the PPL meme

Attached: 86438000-portrait-of-bearded-guy-with-disgusted-expression-on-face.jpg (1300x994, 117K)

Isn't texas method even lower in volume? lol

Not on Monday it aint

Yeah, i'm pretty sure one day is not enough. Even mark was talking about doing two volume days in one of his recent articles

You're lifting really heavy compound movements 185/205 times a week it's extremely taxing on your CNS. It's enough to get you stronger and some noob gains. Supplement with some isolation on arms at the end of sessions and hit some cardio in between sessions if you want to add some mass or get fitter.

3 natty or 6 if you wanna eat clen and tren hard

>le cns fatigue meme
Cringe. Stop perpetuating dumbfuck urban legends like this.

Lol yeah bro also shoulder press behind the head it's what real men do

I don't know if you're agreeing with me or being sarcastic, but I'll toss in a fuck off just to be safe. Fuck off, retard.

Progressive overload it arguably the best was to add mass so if you keep getting stronger, increasing weight and volume, you’ll get bigger. Granted 5x5 isn’t perfectly optimized for time under tension, but for beginners especially it will build significant mass. You just sound kinda dumb

Post body faggot

Well I'll lose sleep over that devastating reddit response

>it will build significant mass
In legs and back? Most likely.

For me it was rather disappointing, especially because I had aesthetics in mind. After a bit more than half a year on SL I was just stronger and had bigger legs and back. Thats all.

Wait, you are supposed to do that?
Im currently on 2x warm-up sets and 3 working sets with target weight.

If you had aesthetics in mind you shouldn't follow the program fully. You should cut out some squats and deadlifts while adding more of upper body exercises. You can blame only yourself for following powerliting program when you aim is aesthetics.

>add mass
prog overload is the best to add mass TO YOUR LIFTS, not your body. it's for building psychological strength and it's fucking horrible for hypertrophy

Well no. You need both strength and volume to grow.

Well everyone and their uncle recommend SL/SS/sometimes greyskull LP for literally everyone who is beginner to the point they stall with weights. I blame others to be so close-minded and recommend the same routines for everyone. Good for me, Ive switched to HST and havent waste my time since on forever loved strength routines.

t. Small and weak

So add an extra set?

but he is right. try it, do just 5x5. Let's see how big your muscles get.

I'm past that, i need more work to grow.

how much is that? 385?

Doing SL, where do skellingtons normally have their first stall on OHP? I'm only at 80lbs and struggling.

OHP need more volume than any compound. I bet you are not doing enough work, also fucking eat if you're skelly

Also, add dips, pull ups and incline bench press to your routine for optimal OHP gain

Learn to count by 10s

There's sevaral ways to skin a cat:

Stronglift 5x5 sets across
Bill Starr's program 5x5 sets ramping to a top set
Reg Parks' 5x5 2 sets at 60% and 80% of target weight and 3 sets at target weight

All this methods work. If you've been seeing progress, just keep at it.

Attached: All systems online.webm (1280x720, 1.66M)

Not OP but I've been doing the standard 5x5 core and I'm ready to add more.
I plan to continue all of the lifts in that the entire time. I just want to add more.
I have dumbbells at home. I've already been adding in bicep hammer curls and dumbbell OHP and loving it. I've also been doing farmer's walks almost every day with forty pound buckets outside my house several times a day. Eventually going to go for longer and longer distances to work up conditioning and stamina.

What dumbbell exercises should I do besides the two I already noted?

what do you people add to the various beginner programs

dumbell curls? box jumps with dumbells for explosion? facepulls? lateral raises? suitcase carries for obliques? isolated ab work, any of the various 5-10 minute programs out tehre available?

Another case of, "I didn't realize strength routines doesn't get you as big as body building routines."

Attached: 1533043572601.png (285x271, 136K)

I had a boss that wore that shirt a lot. He was kind of an autist and not in the spilling spaghetti way, more like the angry weird guy way.

Attached: received_10160413493965212.jpg (1125x2436, 202K)

>seems pretty low
That's the idea, low volume, high frequency and intensity. Your main goal is progressing on those exercises with the idea that doing more exercises and total reps may hinder recovery which will have a negative impact on your lifts. It's a strength program. For any other program to be successful, you need strength.

Ayyyyy yo nigga I'm going there during the fall. Lets link up.

And yes. The whole gym is filled with Pajeets, Ching chongs, rich Arabs, and failed Chads.

This is not specific enough

This is an actual retard

Attached: this_guy.jpg (640x965, 153K)

please kill this meme

QUESTIONING the facepulls? user, are you trying to... negotiate?!

Attached: 1534239077544.png (1000x1000, 289K)

Whooooosh

T. 2014 alumni

Is it because he's resting on the equipment when someone else could be using it?

It's been dead for a solid month at least

Oh shit that is the utdallas gym. I'll be back during the fall if I dont kill myself before then

If you're a natural you need to focus on progressing on a few compound lifts per workout

Add accessories. Supersets of dips and chins will make your arms blow up.

Also if you do your warmups in 5s all the way up, it's a lot of volume (Russians count anything over 50% of 1RM as working volume).

>Russians count anything over 50% of 1RM as working volume
Who cares what people do when it's nonsense? 50% of your 1 RM hardly even recruits any muscle fibers, and looking at how Russians train skews perspective of what works for naturals because of all the steroids.

i personally do 4 sets of pullups to near on failure every session, so 3 times a week

been losing body weight at the same time and i've seen muscles in my back ive never seen before in the last month or so, im 155lb and do 4x5 pulls currently

chins max is 15

the people who post this image are the same people who post surely king of the egg fort on /ck/ and posted that One piece webm on YLYL threads

same, did ppl for 3 months and im bigger than i did with ss lol

this, the problem is the retards on fit that recommend ss/sl/greyskull to every living being saying that progressive overloading is enough lol. fuck you guys, you made me waste a year.
now im going in every thread telling people to do ppl, everybody starts lifting to be aesthethic, literally nobody cares about strength, and even if you cared you will progress on ppl.

t. lifting bitch weight
you should not be comfortable or feel like you could keep going after a set of 5x5. If you didn't go up in weight every single session you were definitely not eating or sleeping enough. 5x5 is the King and I will never not defend it.

me in the back

Attached: this_guy_nerves.jpg (640x965, 81K)

kek filename.

also hilariously based

Post body.

Do Wendler's 5/3/1 4 days a week; it's pretty much THE powerlifting routine

Worked well for me as an intermediate.
>made a custom program
>varying intensity and volume by varying 3×5/5×5
>chinups/pullups and dips sometimes weighted, sometimes not
I met up with a friend of mine after not seeing eachother for half a year. He noticed I had grown a lot, even though intermediate for a year by then.

how do i kill my frontal lobe so i can just do without any THINKING for fucks sake my /nigbros//

Texas Method got me a 5pl8 squat absurdly quick
Stop coping and try it for yourself, it's great

Do pullups every day aswell
As many as possible

its funny as fuck when you dont look like you workout, but you outlift the majority of the 'bigger' guys in the gym.

that's what roiding does. If you look really big, but lift baby weight, it's roids.

guy who tries to hit prs on ppl. fucking retard

>did 5x5 for a year
post a clip of your 900 lbs deadlift then

Bois I've been doing SL 5x5 for about 6 months starting as a super skelly
My lifts are in lbs

255 Squat
170 BP
220 Row
130 OHP
360 DL

I've gone from 150lbs to 196
Stalling on everything even after deloads.
What routine do i switch to to continue making gains?
Also, are my gains bad or good
Pic unrelated

Attached: 1560438671428.jpg (750x557, 102K)

Days go by and nobody checked the trips

NGMI

god this has been me for years and i fucking hate it. Everyone I know 'Oh user your legs are so strong!' 'user you're so skinny' I LITERALLY went 1/2/3/3.5 and everyone else I know benches what they squat but I'M the weird one.
Fuck me, I need to learn how to eat and do accessories

>220 rows and 360 DL
>170 Bench and 130 OHP

good god man I am so sorry

>good god man I am so sorry

W-why user what's wrong with these numbers
Am noob pls halp

So how do I not fuck my shit up by doing 5x5?

This shit starts with the bar and has me going up by 2.5kg a workout, 5kg for deadlifts. I think the idea is that I'm supposed to fail some reps and that's where I don't increase the weight, but here's the problem - I have plenty of strength reserves in my main moving muscles so I finish the reps, but my tendons, joints, and stabilizing muscles are more and more sore with each workout, and I think it's just a matter of time something fails catastrophically. I actually finally took this week off because my lower back felt extremely sore day after the workout(and two and three days as well), despite the fact that it was not in any way limiting me during the actual workout. And I'm talking inflamed, not just bad case of DOMS.

I could just decrease the weight increases and take more rest days but then I'm feeling I'm Not Doing The Program and just wasting time. Though given some people apparently manage to somehow stay a fucking YEAR on what's supposed to be a linear progression, this might be what I'm supposed to do.

I mean in theory you should be doing 130 OHP in what, 2,5-3 months?

it's not a meme, but you have to add stuff on top of it. I do 5x5 + a bunch of chin ups, dumbell stuff, facepulls, and abs stuff to fill in the gaps and it works pretty well for me.