My cat is dying

I feel like shit and don't know where on Jow Forums should I post this. It's fucking depressing, so I guess Jow Forums would do.

My cat was diagnosed yesterday with feline leukemia. He'll live only 2-3 more years, if he doesn't die of an infection before that is (feline leukemia completely destroys the inmune system).

I don't want to see him suffer. He was the liveliest cat ever, and now I have to see him decay until he dies. He used to go outside and play with my neighbours' cat, hunt some birds... As of recently he's been lying on some corner for about 20 hours a day.

The vet said that he'll have a relatively normal live for the next 2 years. Personally I don't believe it, because she also said that he'll be sick and on meds half of the time. I think that she's trying to emotionally manipulate me to keep him alive and suffering because that way I'll be going there regularly (and that means more money for her). I don't know, I can't think straight right now.

What should I do? Should I let him live or should I put him to sleep? Maybe paying visit to another vet to get a second opinion?

Pic related is him, he's actually taking antibiotics because of fucking pneumonia of all things.

Attached: IMG_20190304_005213~2.jpg (2646x1972, 663K)

Other urls found in this thread:

youtu.be/f4wD_PT_jgk
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

heavy shit nigga
only you can know what to do
it's entirely your call

Attached: 1532412368413.jpg (523x409, 41K)

If you want your friend to get better, try another vet.
If you think he never will, put him down now and save you both suffering.
There's no point stressing over the decision, you have two clear choices.

Find some good forum (related to animals, of course) on R3ddit and post this there. I don't think anyone will be able to help you here on Jow Forums.

I care more for the well being of this cat them the lives of everyone on this board

>My cat was diagnosed yesterday with feline leukemia.
FELV is awful in the final stages
>He'll live only 2-3 more years
3y is 1/4th to 1/3rd of an average cat's lifespan so that's like saying you'll ONLY live another 15 to 20 years, dumb

>if he doesn't die of an infection before that is My cat has FIV since birth which isn't as bad but sitll just make sure he doesn't get into fights or stays out in the cold and he'll be fine UNTIL HE GETS TO THE TERMINAL STAGE

>Should I let him live or should I put him to sleep?
why not kys too since you'll likely die in JUST 40y or so?

>As of recently he's been lying on some corner for about 20 hours a day
Hey, me too! I like your cat's style.

Hold his paw as tight as you can and hold on to the memories you have

Another fucking Patti thread go back to /ck/ your Pattifag

>As of recently he's been lying on some corner for about 20 hours a day.
>pneumonia

damn you're retarded OP duck ur cat desu

It's more of a moral choice (putting him down or not) than anything else. It's a terminal disease, so he's done for.

At that point is letting him live being a shadow of his former self or just ending him (with the emotional consecuences of doing that). I'm asking for opinions regarding that.

I would get a second opinion. If the prognosis is the same, I would recommend humane euthenasia, and then adopting another when you're ready. Three years of Hell isn't worth living. It's the same course of action that we took with Great-Aunt Mildred.

I feel for you user, I just had my childhood cat die last month at age 16 (parents put her to sleep since she got to the point where she wasn't able to walk or eat). I was hundreds of miles away so I couldn't see her and they told me she was gonna die around 6:30 that night. As I watched the clock approach 6:30 I just broke down and started crying and it was the first time I had cried in over 10 years, felt really weird.

Here's the thing though. If you were told you have cancer and have a year to live, they wouldn't let you euthanize yourself and die peacefully. Why would you do that to an animal that you see as family? Sick animals in the wild don't get to die peacefully either. Let nature take it's course. Suffering is part of life.

Put a bullet in the back of its head so it can abandon its suffering.
Would you rather let some autistic disease god created kill it slowly, or would you rather man up and do it yourself.

Attached: hqdefault.jpg (480x360, 10K)

Godspeed bro. You are completely correct on what the vet is trying to do. I got mine on those meds and he became a walking corpse four months in. The chick claimed it was normal so i just gassed the poor dude with my car when i got home. Keep him around until he starts suffering and then euthanize him.

Attached: sad satania lq.jpg (480x480, 35K)

Vet tech user here. Feline leukemia alone isn't generally a death sentence by itself. It causes autoimmune issues as your vet said. Keep him indoors, if you have any other pets keep them indoors if possible or limit their interactions. That will minimize spread of infectious disease. If you want to be really careful, you can change clothes when you come back from being around other cats but that probably won't be necessary. When he is not sick he should be acting more or less as himself. However there will come a point when he can no longer get past an illness or he's spending more times feeling like shit than not. Then it will be your call.

I assume you didn't just randomly bring your cat in to get tested for FeLV. It probably got very sick and then you brought it to the vet, right? That's why he's feeling shit.
>because of fucking pneumonia of all things.
That's not bad luck, that is to be expected with a cat with FeLV especially when the owners don't know he has FeLV. That pneumonia started off as a upper respiratory infection/cold, and if you even noticed it (most of the time we don't notice when our pets get minor colds) you probably figured, as most people would, that he would get over it. Well with a weakened immune system, that cold can't be fought and it gets worse until it develops into pneumonia, which I'm assuming you realized that he needed help. So It's not really poor luck, that's fairly common for FeLV. If he gets past this just try to minimize spreading disease the best you can.

>inb4 vet shill
I work at an animal shelter, we kill FeLV+ cats ASAP. I'd be just as happy if you euthanized it and adopted a healthier cat/kitten

Attached: geek squad.jpg (1632x1224, 228K)

>I don't want to see him suffer

Then make sure you take him to the vet as soon as you see him go downhill. For your sake and his. My kitten was diagnosed with with feline leukemia last year, and he was the biggest most rambunctious loveable piece of shit ever. One day he stopped eating very much and slowed down. Took him in and they said it activated, and that he had anemia from it. Explained the sudden overwhelming fatigue. Tried this, tried that, most of it wasn't working that well. Then he started burrowing into blankets and wanting to hide and sleep all day. We tried to get him to eat and drink and he did a little, but not enough. After he was burrowing and sleeping all the time, and not eating a lot, we knew it was going to be time. We got together to make the decision, but it didn't matter much since it was the weekend. Then the hard part came. He made the decision for us that night. We were told he would just slow down and pass in his sleep because of the anemia and he wouldn't be suffering. That couldn'tve been further from the fucking truth. He knew what was happening and he was fighting it with every ounce of strength he had. The last hour of his life was him crying and desperately struggling as we held him. He never gave up, even when it was time and he should've just let go. All of this happened in the span of two weeks, from jumping and running and terrorizing us all to that. He was gone the day before his 10th month.

Please don't put yourself through that. PLEASE don't put HIM through that. I know it's hard but I can safely say that the alternative (humanely vet) is the only choice when it's time.

Attached: IMG_01962.jpg (1200x900, 169K)

Imagine 15 years living in pain and fucked up. I would kill myself in that case. But I'm talking about him, not me.

And yeah, I'm afraid he's on the terminal stage.

how the hell does gassing your cat with a car even work?

...Have you never heard of somebody committing suicide in their garage through exhaust fumes? I imagine it's the exact same process.

This is such a retarded opinion I'm almost shocked you've managed to have it this long.
People might not be able to be euthanized, but they also have the agency to be able to kill themselves. Which many people choose to do.

sure but how would you do that in a garage without risking killing yourself

This is good advice, if you want to keep your cat alive longer you'll have to really monitor his well-being and bring him to the vet as soon as you notice a dip in health.

Same way it would work with people I imagine.

Attached: image.jpg (665x393, 85K)

Thanks user. We didn't know he had FeLV and we actually vaccinated him. The vet guessed he had it since birth.

Because you shut the cat in the car, and step outside after starting the process? You don't have to stay in the car with the cat, user. It's not like the process is instantaneous. Afterward, you can just turn off the engine, open the car door, open the garage door, and air things out.
I wouldn't recommend such a thing and euthanasia seems much more responsible, but it seems like a pretty straightforward process.

I'd be afraid of losing consciousness before I got the chance to let the place air out

that makes three of us , now

have your gratest time with him
give him lots of candy/ cat candy shit idfk
just make him live his live and spend the times you need with him and then put him to sleep

being alive is terminal too so remember kids sideways for attention longways for results
dont forget to stay glad the cat brought you happiness in the first place

op, like others have already said, end it when the cat is going to be in pain, but until then take care, godspeed

Thanks for the opinion. I'm really sorry about your cat. Don't worry, I'll kill him if it comes to that.

Nah, you're vastly overestimating how fast and deadly that the process is. Keep opening the garage door in mind, too. That would air it out considerably.
It's fucking retarded and does present some measure of risk, but I wouldn't think that it would be likely to result in your own death while trying to air things out.

>Let nature take it's course. Suffering is part of life.
But the suffering described by OP would be utterly pointless. If the cat is going to die soon, why make it's last two years on the planet horrible? If I got cancer and I ended up in pain every fucking day I'd probably go to Belgium to euthanize myself

Well, it's true that your cat won't be like he was. Nothing is forever. You gave him the best life you could from the sound of it, he got to roam outdoors, hunt, kill and play, then come back in to the security of a regular meal and human contact. That's all a cat needs in life.

There's a third option for what to do that I'll put here, which will seem unorthodox; don't do either. Don't medicate him past his natural life expectancy, and don't medicate him below it either. I know you don't want to watch him suffer, but you see how that's about you, right? Your cat would probably prefer to hold onto life just a bit longer, to follow his path to whatever grisly conclusion awaits him. If you could medicate him into eternal life, that would probably be worthwhile, but you can't.

There's plenty of choices you should make for your pets, but this may not be one of them. Even a cat has a dignity to be respected, and in this case, a "do not resuscitate" order might be the best thing to do. Allow your cat to experience suffering and death the way he was meant to. Don't interfere with it to save your own feelings.

Your 3rd option seems reasonable, I will think about it. Thanks for the input user.

I had to put my cat to sleep a few days ago. She was anemic, and had some bone marrow problems that made ut hard for her to produce red blood cells. Her quality of life was acceptable, though. She was content to lie on my wife's bed for hours,and could make it to the food bowl and the litter box by herself. But she took a turn for the worse,and could hardly move on her own,until she began whimpering and leaking urine from.irgan failure. So my wife and I took her to a 24 hour vet clinic at 3am,and put her to sleep. I even played this once she was officially dead and her brain faded from the spark of life as we held her.

youtu.be/f4wD_PT_jgk

So if your cat is okay health wise now,cherish him. But to the Last Act of Kindness when you must.

Attached: costumes_prunes_04_big.jpg (666x1000, 104K)

my cat is dying
my grandma is dying
my dad is dying
my brother is a drug addict and thief
my mother is a whore cheating on my father
and I'm a friendless NEET retard weirdo who's going to get his head bashed in by a coke addict

Attached: 174931.jpg (225x350, 37K)

Mine had chronic kidney and liver disease. Incurable a that state according to the vet.
The vet gave us two options:
1-Prolonguing his life with meds, but that would have only prolonged his suffering.
2-Euthanasia.

I chose the latter, I didn't want the poor bugger to suffer.
I've seen in other people, prolonguing the life of their terminally ill pets, because they were too much of a pussy to bring themselve to end the suffering of that animal.

My cat died over 3 years ago from cancer. Feels bad. You get over it. I'm never owning another pet again.

I've had a lot of animals over my life time. I've had to make the decision to put them down often.

Cats in particular are very stoic animals. I trust your Vet when they say that generally speaking, your cat will live normally for a year or two. Getting a second opinion is always a good idea though, if that'll put your mind at ease.

That being said, you need to start mentally preparing yourself now to make the decision. If your kitty does start acting better you have to remember that eventually it will start going downhill again. Making the decision is incredibly tough, and you're going to cry like a bitch. It never gets easier to go through it, but it gets easier to make the decision to let your friend die with dignity.

I would say, and sorry for looking crazy.. Ask your cat. Look into his/her eyes, ask, maybe you will get the intuition that it is time..maybe there is still some moments left in your cats life.. I don't know..

Sorry to hear that user, godspeed. I hope you find the answer

Hey user, sorry you are having to think about this difficult decision. A few months ago we euthanized our 18yo cat. She was old, and of course had slowed down considerably, but was doing fairly well for the most part. Age finally caught up with her, and when we knew she was in pain we took her to the vet. I felt that I was responsible for her, and there was no point to making her suffer. Yes, prior to that she had arthritis and other old age complaints, but she still played, and purred and cuddled. She let us know when it was time, and I miss her. Good luck user, love your kitty.

I say give him a month to see if he gets better and if hes suffering if you want put him down

I'm not trying to be mean user but did you assume the cat was going to live forever? If you have difficulty with this sort of thing as an adult you should have perhaps got a tortoise or a parrot. You aren't the thing's father you're its owner and you should be able to make decisions about its wellbeing dispassionately

>op
>>>taxidermist

I'm assuming the cat is fairly young, considering the info on this pic . Probably he didn't expect to do this until the cat hit 15 or more.

Also, cats have something special I can't describe. They're so similar to humans in many ways, even more than dogs. It's only natural to have emotional bonds with them.

Cats with leukemia are completely asymptomatic until the very end, my cat died of leukemia three years ago, and of course she had infected my other two cats, who are still perfectly fine. Putting down a cat with leukemia is fucking stupid.

>hunt some birds

lol good riddance. hope it dies painfully

sounds like an if you love something let it go type situation

pussies were made to get fucked

Wait til he starts getting worse then take him in. It's really hard I'm sorry OP. This must be how elves in D&D feel having multiple human lovers over their lives sometimes, Idk. I lost a couple cats. Love them as long as they can, they have good lives, just shorter ones. Their spirits all go to kitty heaven so it's ok.

God bless you user. I have had to bring in many pets over my lifetime and it's never an easy decision. It is the RIGHT DECISION. The 'Worst part" is always wondering "If you could have done more"? Sounds like you have provided a wonderful home and life for your buddy. Be proud of that! Your cat loves you and you love them. If he doesnt seem to be getting better with the current antibiotics, i would make the decision to put him down gracefully. Everything in LIFE DIES. You have been good.

Let him die, then wait a week and buy another cat