Run vs Jog

>run 2 mile
>slow jog 10 miles

Which should I do, Jow Forums? And why?

Attached: 57648935_365809930695173_2423748639903288055_n.jpg (1080x1080, 130K)

Other urls found in this thread:

runnersworld.com/training/a26066029/increase-vo2-max/
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

going further burns more calories
running faster make heart better

>running faster make heart better

citation needed.

any running will make your heart better, not just faster

running faster makes you better at running (improves VO2 Max)

Hill sprints

Cycle.. you will thank me in 30 years

say goodbye to your joint cartilage

Citation.

First you should spend a few weeks "just running", at a sustainable pace, for distances. Start out with like 5km and work your way up in a pattern like this: short, medium, short, medium, short, medium, long, (repeat), with what 'short' 'medium' and 'long' correspond to increasing some week by week. After a month of that you can start adding HIIT into the mix instead of the 'medium' days; start with 30 second intervals, like 3 to 5 of them, and as the weeks progress, add 10 to 15 seconds to each of them. When you start doing these intervals, make the 4th week an 'active recovery' week, where you return to the 'medium' days being 'just running', and the overall distance you're running for the week being more like the first few weeks you started the program. After 3 months of this come back and tell us how your endurance and speed are.

>t. not a runner

Ask any serious runner over 40 about their knees.

I have similar skinny but wide legs. What is this?

Attached: 17883026_1895001557408205_4609500047577448448_n1.jpg (1080x1253, 108K)

If you're not running mostly at an easy, conversational pace you’re doing it wrong.

Incorrect. It raises your anaerobic performance, meaning your fast twitch muscle fibers that burn carbohydrates for energy and do not utilize oxygen.

Your vo2 max is improved by distance running at a moderate pace.

wut
runnersworld.com/training/a26066029/increase-vo2-max/

Jogging doesn't do shit for appearance, nor does it do anything for performance if you're not actually taking up marathoning.

>an... aerobic...

absence of... _______...

>If you're not running mostly at an easy, conversational pace you’re doing it wrong.
That builds basic aerobic endurance, which is important: it's the foundation that higher intensity running is built on. But it's only part of the total equation, just like things like HIIT are just part of the total equation.

>running faster raises vo2 max
>umm... i actually meant HIIT haha
post RHR fatty

Your VO2max is increased by running at the sweet spot just below your Anaerobic Threshold.

Neither, do HIIT instead

>yet another user who doesn't fully understand HIIT

Hiit is a meme for lazy fucks who can't even do a 5k

do both they help each other
going fast improves your endurance by blasting your cardiovascular system and going far improves your ability to go faster for longer

your turn

Attached: LwrIeEy.jpg (1512x1512, 167K)

>improves your endurance
>improves your ability to go faster for longer

those are the same things you fucking brainlet

HIIT has it's place in aerobic training, but what it does for you needs to be built on a solid foundation of *basic* aerobic endurance (i.e., long slow distance running). Doesn't have to be marathon length runs it just needs to be consistent and done regularly. HIIT can come later to enable you to run faster for longer periods of time.
While we're on the subject there should be hill running, too.

Attached: 20190621_230210.jpg (4032x2268, 1.69M)

>was on track to do my first week with 40 cumulative miles run
>have to pick up my sister at the airport tomorrow during my usual run time
>unless I go at like 10pm I'll miss my last six miles

I know it doesn't really matter but I've been working at this for months.

Attached: 1558730619070.png (829x633, 348K)

I would do how most serious high school cross country teams train

MWF - short, include interval drills
T TH - long
Sat- Very long
Sun- rest

what is considered "long" and "very long"?

go to bed joe rogan

go at 10 user

that’s pretty good user but i stand by my original statement
“running faster” = zone 4/5

i asked some, they said they're fine

probably helps that they're not fat fucks

Why waste so much time running? Are you people so sedentary you need to go do more things? This is a legit question. I have always done heavy manual labor, never trained endurance, but don't have issues with getting winded. Why spend so much time on something you have clearly hit the point of diminishing returns on?

whats the farthest you have run and how long did it take

>I have always done heavy manual labor
Here's why

>stop doing things i don't like

Attached: 1559262146324.png (371x353, 148K)

You should do both

Human body has three energy systems, aerobic, glycolytic,phosphoric
Aerobic - fat+oxygen for energy
glycolytic - burn glycogen (sugar, carbs) anaerobically, producing lactate, which is then burned aerobically
phosphoric - ATP (Creatine) explosive energy, very anaerobic

anyway, you need to train both aerobic and glycolytic
Run below threshold to train aerobic, the more of your energy needs you can supply aerobically, the faster you should be able to run

Run above threshold to train glycolytic, expanding your reserves and efficiency for using glycogen

It's based on how far you can go, annd your goals, its all going to increase over time.

When I ran XC short was usually a 5k. Long was ~10k and Saturdays we usually did 10 miles.

It's a BMI thing under 22 seems to be the ticket

Do both. Have 1 long run, a moderate run and a short run. Moderate and short are done as fast as you can manage but your physical condition is going to vary so it's okay to take it easy some days. Long runs determine the size of your tank, intense short runs determine how well you can burn that gas. There's a reason why pro boxers run 10 miles a day, they need the biggest tank they can get while still training explosively later in the day with sparring or shadow boxing.

>I have always done heavy manual labor,
not everyone does IQ89 jobs like you

jog (5 minutes per kilometre): lame
run (5 minutes per kilometre): cool

Kinda related but im drunk for the first time in 3 monthw and i got a run in the morning. Much love guys lets all make it

Attached: J4qXoO6.jpg (300x300, 22K)

Every fucking thread there's dipshits like these

Are you actually unaware that the human being is an endurance athlete? Did you know that human beings are one of the only animals with marathon capacity?

So, why run? It's like saying, why should a dog run, when it can squat up and down

Sure you can get good at squats and achieve strength gains, but when you become a distance runner and run 3 miles+ a day, your body changes in ways I couldn't even describe, I would estimate that you only ever could reach 70% of your greatest athletic potential without running

Yeah sure it burns some calories and prevents you from being a bloatmax bodybuilder, woop te fucking doo, up your calories, become an actual athlete, run 3+ miles a day as you were intended to in nature

your mitochondrion LITERALLY change to become stronger when you run. How do you not get that it blows every other form of exercise out of the water in terms of being a strong human being that can go all day

Swimming is the true god tier cardio

This what someone who has never actually lifted worth a shit would say.

Any halfway athletic person who did sports in highschool knows what it is like to grind out a cardio session. Running to exhaustion is a fucking simpleton task that requires almost no thought whatsoever and anyone with even a slight competitive mindset can push themselves to exhaustion.

It is also easy as fuck to get good at and the gains come incredible fast even if you barely know what the fuck you are doing. Take any somewhat normal human who isn't a complete 400lb neckbeard and all they have to do is go start running their ass off 4-5 days a week and within 6 months if not less you'll have literally hit like 80% or more of your max potential and you'll be able to put up a reasonable showing against anyone who isn't an actual track athlete.

Actually getting strong? Takes a fuck ton more effort and is a far greater accomplishment as it requires much more dedication, technique and planning to even get in the ball park of your potential.

Don't waste your time running your ass off, it is a horrendous waste of time and inefficient as fuck. Here is the simple formula that will give you seriously like 90% of the results of people who run 50 miles a week.

Perform 15 minutes of LISS. After the first 15 minutes do 30 second on/off sprint splits for the next 15 minutes of whatever activity you want to be good at endurance wise. If it's running that means 30 seconds at a full blast sprint, 30 seconds rest at a reduced pace. Once you can do that you up it to 1 minute on/off sprints.

That's it. The sad thing is you'll actually likely dominate your long distance running buddies in anything that requires sprint endurance (which is like every other sport except long distance running).

Spend the rest of your time lifting and getting strong.

>Why spend so much time on something you have clearly hit the point of diminishing returns
you mean resistance training?

Cycle is mediocre unless you want to spend fucking 9 hours a day getting the same result you would get in 30 mins of fast jogging. It makes boomers think theyre being healthy by doing an exercise where they still can sit their fat asses. When you run, youre working your entire body, core and back especially. I was too lazy to run until some nigger stole my bike.

post runs

mile 6:48
5k 22:31
10k 55:31

Based runposter
Running makes you look far more athletic than the rebbitors who clearly just lift to spreadsheets

Attached: jog.gif (210x320, 70K)

> running gains come quick and are therefore useless
> you can't do both running and lifting
Ok powerluncher

Quad development with no hamstrings.
Your pic related has quads as wide as his calves, so calling his legs wide is being generous

It's good when you don't feel like running but can still get in some fun exercise. Better as transportation tho

How 2 find anabolic threshold?

>Why spend so much time on something you have clearly hit the point of diminishing returns on?

Attached: Vj9zyvZl.jpg (441x640, 79K)

Wut?

>What is knee damage?
>Implying a 20mph average with both moderate inclines and/or headwind is inferior to "fast jogging"

You guys are both brainlets. You can train for both running and lifting. It's called concurrent training.
Lifting without endurance training leads to deficiencies in your work capacity aka being a power at who has to rest five minutes between your 80%x5 sets.
Running without strength training leads to shin splints, ITBS, PF, and shitty gait.
You are holding yourself back from progress in your chosen sport if you can't grow up enough to do some running or squats

QED

Attached: 20190622_103659.jpg (1102x1036, 560K)