Does BJJ make gains?

I am a whitebelt and I am going more to training than gym. Will i loss gains?

Attached: IMG_2808.jpg (850x559, 83K)

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=QTDfqkMbydo
youtube.com/watch?v=BmgRXUmYncE
youtube.com/watch?v=3cc7tyjGLx0
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

Also, wtf is the point of boxing lol. For the purposes of self-protection in a street fight, a striker has to be phenomenal, where as me as a grappler I can be utterly mediocre and plant him head into the cement.

unless you happen to really enjoy it (in which case you are probably gay), wrestling of any kind is utterly useless you intend to become a wrestler

You really don't need to be phenomenal as a striker to do some damage in a street fight; just doing the fundamentals will put you head and shoulders above mostly everybody who hasn't trained.

As long as you eat more you'll be fine

What is he thinking about Jow Forums?

Attached: 5F3CC2C5-0244-497C-9CA1-905BA7BCEC30.png (890x1467, 1.16M)

What would recommend for learning striking? Mai thai?

Bjj is pretty much just cardio. Pure grapplers are usually lean with small amount of muscle. Usually you get a strong back and core and weak everything else while fat burns off you. If you are jacked you will lose muscle doing bjj. It would be like adding a shit ton of cardio while taking away from weight training. It’s really hard to do both to the extreme.

I’ve been going the opposite route and lifting weights 4 times a week while I dropped bjj to 2 times. I’m still struggling with sleep and shit with a full time job. On that note do bjj, it will open your eyes on how helpless you are if a fight hits the ground

This

Attached: C4383E3B-BE84-4FD3-A519-06A67EF7B723.png (931x504, 495K)

nobody who has a basic understanding of fighting would say something so stupid

cope

Actually it's kinda true
In a real streetfight a guy would get killed if he was against a boxer, but in a "i don't want to hurt him, just make him calm the fuck down" situation bjj wins

For a lifting routine OP, I recommend doing a variation of Wendler 5/3/1. I’ve been using the first set last variation and have been doing jiujitsu 4 times a week and it’s been working well so far.

A boxer of amateur level could easily slip a punch and counter a random guy in a street fight, nonce

Legend cheers

Attached: IMG_2809.jpg (192x262, 7K)

Unironically if you can find a Wado-Ryu class go with that if you're an absolute beginner.

It'll get you used to the pivoting motions involved in delivering robust kicks, has an emphasis on body movement and evasion, and has basic as fuck striking that, again, will give a decent introduction.

Plus it's not too taxing, cause, y'know, karate.

Good luck friend

How do you start training in grappling as a sociophobic adult? Touching dudes is gay and just socializing causes anxiety.

Attached: hm question kot.jpg (400x323, 51K)

Seems like you have to be a socially adjusted person in order to train in something like wrestling.

Attached: heatenings extra.jpg (190x220, 38K)

facing your fears is the best thing for you, I promise

>I'm peruvian

Askren is literally assburgers.

In a real street fight the BJJ retard will learn 2 seconds in that the pavement is not a mat. Even if you win by submission you'll be scraped up all over.

I strongly doubt it. I think he just claimed it to be cute, knowing his personality.

This is why you learn a strong double leg. Dump someone to the ground and gtfo

fighting is easy: just don't be a manlet

I'm a boxer and i got embarassed by a BJJ friend in a friendly fight, but i didn't want to hit him and injure him so honestly i don't know

>Wanted to find out how far you can throw a stone compared to your friend
>Didn't want to throw it too hard though while he went all out, thus rendering the entire experience pointless

Nah, there's a few borderline autists where I train. They don't talk much but they're doing just fine otherwise.

Hmmm but throwing stones and hitting your friend as hard as you can are just a tiny bit different.

Interesting take on it though

Jesus christ, you've never met a wrestler, judoka, or jiu jitsu player.
Grappling of any kind certainly has cardio demands, but the strength demands of it are just as great. The amount of isometric muscle work you do in an hour of rolling is equivalent to a solid weightlifting session

I don't know man, looks kinda gay.
youtube.com/watch?v=QTDfqkMbydo

mirin that explosiveness

Attached: 1434552437910.jpg (612x347, 32K)

Just go, people at these groups are the nicest, after all everyone there already shares something in common

BJJ is trash in comparison to wrestling

Most of them are on roids too

Done bjj for years. Bjj doesn’t build much muscle. That’s like saying swimmers are ripped. Like their lean but not really huge

>he doesn't practice on pavement

reasons why you didn't get to state

bjj is the ultimate gains goblin for out of shape fatasses. they get injured, get barely any conditioning out it but they do it because it isn't challenging for their bloblike frames. you'll have to concentrate on either bjj or lifting, if you can do both you weren't lifting at a high enough intensity before

cool story
youtube.com/watch?v=BmgRXUmYncE

Literally life long junkie, probably had HIV too.

What's that?

Attached: Roiddolfo.jpg (600x343, 49K)

>all this trash talk

So what the fuck should I do if I want to fight decently and be aesthetic.

People in this thread are retarded. You can be muscular and train grappling. You will just need to adjust your diet to the extra calories you will be burning from the added training. The risk of training hard in BJJ or wresting is the added risk of injury, which will cause a loss in gains.

Why does a striker have to be phenomenal, exactly? To time out your takedown attempt with an uppercut?

are we talking striker vs grappler or striker vs regular person and grappler vs regular person?

grappling is definitely a huge help for a 1v1 street fight, but if theres more than one person, you're going to get ganged up on when you get the first guy to the ground.

could you be any more wrong?

uh, head throw or hip toss... their body turns into the mat and you break their ribs.

youtube.com/watch?v=3cc7tyjGLx0

luck to have never fought a skilled boxer or other striker, but you're pretty much a dead person if you don't knock the wrestler / grappler out with your first strike.

Do you see most fights start in the clinch?

guy throws punch. it does not knock you out. you duck in and toss the guy. i have done this to more than one person in real life, but again, i'm lucky enough to have never fought a skilled striker.

Friendly reminder Askren has one more contractual fight, will win it, and then rematch Masvidal after Masvidal blows a title shot.

Lift weights, take boxing or Muay Thai, do some type of grappling. BJJ and wrestling are both great

And then Askren will heem Jorge

he has really disappointed hartland and south eastern wisconsin so far

* might have wrestled against arrowhead when he was on the team

Attached: 4CB972CA-1F82-4B6D-A0B8-66E45BE3DCC6.jpg (391x800, 123K)

That would be celtech

He beat Lawler, that in itself is impressive. The revenge will come, do not worry friend.

lmao

I’m glad this thread is here because I’ve been thinking about starting bjj but I don’t want it to get in the way of my lifting. How much will an hour of bjj a week impede my recovery?

I see. Well, generally, folks that have set their minds on a fight don't throw a singular punch without a follow up, nor do they just let who they're fighting duck in and lay hands on them for their trouble. When people wrap up, there are shots being thrown. Scramble on the ground, and someone is throwing elbows. If you just scooped and dump someone, that asshole wasn't actually prepared for a fight, or didn't realize what that entails.

>gains goblin
its literally like any other "sport". The pro's roid, roll, and lift

>he beat lawler

fo shure B

We are talking about just fighting a regular person and not someone who trained boxing, right?

I would think so, but maybe I'm in the wrong here. I can't imagine being in a confrontation, it escalating to violence, and then throwing but one punch before letting the other guy ragdoll me. I've never trained Muay Thai or vale tudo, but I'd still think to use my elbows tied up with someone, or scrambling on the ground. That just seems like a pretty natural thought progression if you're in a fight. Maybe I'm there odd man out here.

Hopefully this sort of makes sense. Best comparison I can think of right now.

I have a fast car. I have a buddy who owns an Alpha 12 GTR. He says my car pulls harder. So a legitimately fast.

I have a coworker who bought a nismo sentra. He has never driven in my car. He was talking about what he was looking to get for his next car and said he was over having a really fast car.

>sentra nismo
>really fast car

He just doesn't get it.

If you are strictly doing drilling, I don’t think you will have any problems. It’s sparring that really wares you out. If you spar, getting an extra 700 calories in or so should help you recover.

I train boxing casually and got into a street fight the other day. Battered him in the stand up but the guy was able to take me to the ground. Luckily he didn't know what he was doing or I would've been fucked up. Now I know not to throw too many combos when the rules aren't boxing rules lol.

Will BJJ itself erase your gains? No
Will it potentially give you tendon and ligament damage and knock you out of training for weeks? Yes.

(you)

Oh, whats your style? Bjj?

This. Its literally true for any martial art

I lost 10 pounds my first month of bjj

It's all cardio and you will lose your gains if you don't maintain

I'm doing bjj now (lmaowhitebelt) and it seems to me a lot of the good guys have muscle. Built like wrestlers with lesser emphasis on legs

>go to first HEMA class
>bjj guy parries my initial strike, tosses his sword down and grapples me
AAAAAAAAAA

Attached: 1560541569614.jpg (1000x1117, 286K)

>win
>I defended myself and won a fight but ouchie I’m scraped up :(
You’re retarded.

It always seems as if those full armor hema fighters may as well just get rid of those blunt swords, and just grapple and shield bash.

I've actually been tempted to try and take the HEMA club in my local uni and use some judo leg sweeps and grabs, if only cause I tried one in a swordfight with my dad and caught him off guard. Worked really well funny enough.
Biggest reason I don't is everyone in the HEMA club at my uni is out of shape and I feel like I'd be bullying them

Will Krav Maga kill less gains than Jiu jitsu?

Do BJJ + striking martial art (MT, kickboxing, whatever) and lift. If you’re more worried about lifts, do that more. If you wanna get really good at fighting faster, attend more classes and spar more. You can do both but just like anything else, your rate of growth will depend on how often you do each thing. Also eat.

Yes cause you won't actually be doing anything worthwhile unless you live in israel

I don't think it builds that much muscle. For the record I train BJJ twice a day and do extra workouts in the middle of the day - lifting/cardio/maybe some drilling and coach everyday.

The strongest grappler anyone from my gym has met (we've been around for decades and have produced several UFC champions) literally never lifted in his life. Didn't look super impressive either. Fought in the UFC and was at one point ranked #1 for Greco in the country. Dude just grew up on a farm and has had jobs that were either cutting trees or moving rocks.

It's hard to emphasize how strong he was, because no one understands unless they have grappled a lot of people and specifically grappled him. It is way on the end of abnormal. Dude beat Marcelo's top instructor at a tournament and the guy literally just went into a corner and sat their with his head between his legs in the palm of his for like an hour because he was so confused as to what happened to him.

Strangest thing too was I heard this guy tell one of the coaches he thought he could have been stronger for one of his MMA fights. What does that even mean? How would he have gotten stronger? Chopped down more trees? Moved more rock?

Anyways, most brazilians are on steroids and it's a weight class sport so most competitors are pretty lean. Some people like to go up weight classes and do a lot of lifting to increase their odds of winning the absolute. I think bodybuilding style lifting and deadlifts are the best sort of lifting you can do for BJJ. Deadlifts for the posturing and bodybuilding style for the slow grind.

I'm always confused about people saying they are missing training from injuries. This shouldn't be a thing. I always train through that shit and lift etc. You just have to modify your lifts.

Tweaked my back 2 weeks ago rolling - kept rolling that sessions. Rolled that night. His all my regular lifting sessions just replaced squats with belt squats and deadlifts w/ hip thrust

Attached: 1439306268996.jpg (700x445, 138K)

Not all takedowns stem from a shot. What’s the game plan if you get tripped/slammed from a clinch genius?

Just eat and sleep a lot.

I mean you don't have to follow him to the ground. It's entirely possible to smash a dude headfirst into the ground and stay upright

asscream definitely won the story of the fight that night

Attached: 1505187960158.gif (368x349, 2.53M)

HEMA is actually really fun, it's worth trying even if the other guys aren't in great shape. Who knows, maybe they're really good and can still whoop.
Bringing in other martial art moves can work pretty fucking well though, you're right about that.

You’re not wrong about strikes while someone’s grappling you, but they’re not very threatening with the distance closed. Might hurt a bit of course but it’s nothing like getting swung on while standing. Watch early UFC matches or Gracie challenge vids. Grappling alone isn’t some miracle self defense thing but against an average joe, a decent grappler can fuck shit up.

asking here so I don't make a new thread and this one is kinda related:
ain't got money to pay a gym. I'm going to nigger-rig boxing equimpent like a double end bag and a not-so-heavy bag. what kind of no-equipment exercises related to combat sports I can do?
been jogging for a month and a half and doing squats, situps, pullups and pushups for a month. is that good? getting into shape is nice and all but I wanna make combat conditioning while I'm on the lookout for a job. I also understand sparring is crucial but no-one I know is willing to spar with me

jesus christ you dense niggers
it's important to learn how to both strike AND grapple, now shut up

>take down during a street fight
>the nigs 12 homies roll you and crush your pathetic tiny balls, break your legs and violently gang rape you for hours while you try to disassociate to escape the pain and humiliation

Nah I think they mostly like playing with foam/plastic swords, not actual HEMA, since I've never seen them run drills or have a serious match, which is fine. Also this is the dumbass scenario that runs in my head everytime
>Judoanon joins hema club
>Judoanon spars with some fat dude
>Judo user tries his fancy judo sweep and ends up sheildbashing/choke slamming the fat dude
>Judoanon is no longer allowed in the HEMA club

Why?

Practicing breakfalls can never go wrong

Multiple skillsets are useful to have when engaging in a situation which can involve the use of said multiple skillsets

cuz if you are a good striker but don't know about position in grappling, you risk getting strangled, and if you are a good grappler but don't know about distance in striking you risk getting one-punch ko'd. unless you are a moron who's into beating average joes and one-sided beatdowns, you need to stay well-rounded and ignore as little disciplines as possible
don't you watch mma competitions? they evolved a lot, and martial artists learned much from one another. when fighting, there are a lot of things to keep in mind. else everthing would've stayed just like in the first ufc tournaments

If the swords are the same weight and weight distribution as the real deal, it doesn't matter much as to what the material is; it's just the difference between safety relative to gear and price. Steel swords can be three times the cost of nylon ones and you can't really use them with minimal equipment (ie normal clothes + helmet and gloves).
As for your dilemma, who cares? Why not take the jump? In one scenario, you aren't doing HEMA. In the other scenario you aren't doing HEMA but sometimes a fatty will give you the evil eye. Not much difference there.

Fair enough, I'll try to see if they're still operational and if I've got time to play/train with them

That is a fucking lie
>t. judo blue

you'll get stronger than if you don't practice bjj, but you won't be a great athlete tho. bjj relies a lot on leverage and technique
go wrestling if you like grappling and wanna get big
wrestling and jujutsu were practiced as complementary disciplines for armed altercations. I'm sure HEMA take that into account

MMA comps are designed to make grappling safe.
Ironically enough, the oft trashy bjj style grappling is the thing no one likes watching.