I have gotten my bench up to 5x5 185lbs but seem to be stuck at this spot. How can I get past the plateau...

I have gotten my bench up to 5x5 185lbs but seem to be stuck at this spot. How can I get past the plateau? Any recommendations on what I should do today to try and break past it?

Attached: IMG_3013.jpg (3024x4032, 1.56M)

Other urls found in this thread:

youtu.be/NewBM7NMsvY
strongerbyscience.com/periodization-data/
jmaxfitness.com/blog/daily-undulating-periodization/
youtu.be/DjN9bI-JONI
youtube.com/watch?v=M7c5zYeeedc
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

Eat more, sleep more.

You think I should stick to the 5x5 routine I have been doing until I can go up to 190 for 5x5 or switch it up?

Do a 5/3/1 program. 5 x 5 is cool and all but not designed to bust through plateaus.

height and weight?

where is your 4th pair of abs? you have some syndrome

iirc a three-session plateau on 5x5 = drop weight and reset

I use this and went from 160 to 185 in 4 weeks

Attached: 56864539-DB36-4BB2-B608-FF22BFF9B63D.png (750x1334, 714K)

5'11 171lbs

I have always just though my BF was not low enough what is going on here

This or try a hypertrophy routine, add some serious volume, you’ve probably maxed out on your 5x5 for now and need different stimulus to progress

>I have always just though my BF was not low enough what is going on here
oh no...

Appreciate the replys I was heavily considering 5/3/1 since I have personally never gave it a go only thing that keeps me at bay is the low volume but I guess at higher weight it should make up for it

Roid gut.

your abs are huge, bf is low and you don't have 4th pair, it's a syndrome

>4th pair
?????
You mean third?

>what are insertions?

Attached: 61eZ3Gnu3yL._SX425_.jpg (425x548, 33K)

>including the bar in your max
ngmi

Thinking this is roids lmao

see
you fucking mongloid

Explain his weird stomach then??? Umm.. waiting?

He's pregnant you stupid piece of shit.

it's just hte lighting. he has a really pronounced pelvic V that makes his gut look like its lifted

bloated, beer gut, shit genes

Im OP - genetics or bad posture I am guessing.I may even be a mongoloid. Furthest I have dipped my toes into PED's is a 6 week cycle of Ostarine at 25mg a day

Ok. Needless to say check your eating and sleeping first and foremost.
Secondly check your technique, if you havent already read the bench press chapter in starting strength (not memeing) and look at youtube videos of bench press technique breakdown from real experts (actual proficient benchers, not omar isuf or alan thrall garbage)

And lastly take a look at the routine youre doing, if youre doing 5x5, at your strength level you can maybe move to 3x5 for a while or simply hop on either texas method or madcow, if you don't like those programs just make sure youre getting in enough volume and that youre doing intensity days.

For an example template of x2 a week benching, lets say your max is 225:

Volume day:
>Bench 5x5 @80% (180lbs)
>Accessory work (take note weak points in a lift are also very indicative of weak points your physique) 50 total reps

Intensity day
>Work to 5rm or 3rm (usually 90-95% of max so around 200lbs)
>Technique work, spoto press, 3ct pause, ect 6-10 sets of 3-5 reps at low intensity (65-75%) so about 155lbs or so for you

For the accessory work, 99% of the time problems with benching come from a weak chest.

>My sticking point is in the middle of thw rom, so its my triceps that are weak not my chest!
Middle of rom (most common sticking point) problems come from a weak chest, you cant produce enough momentum from the bottom to get past thru the mid range. The only time were you actually have tricep problems is when you're struggling with lockout.

So, for weak chest accessory can be stuff like:
>Incline dumbbell press
>Flat dumbbell press
>Dips (you should be doing this no matter what)
>Even flyes if youre that sort of dude

For weak triceps
>Floor presses
>Pin presses
>Skull crushers, cable pulldowns, etc

Hope this helps, 185 bench is still pretty low weight, youll be over this plateau in no time, don't stress too much about it friend.

Try using HST principles. You don't have to adapt your whole routine, but try it on your bench. It breaks all plateaus. Figure out your 20, 15, 10, and 5 rep maxes, then spend about two weeks working on each rep range. By the time you get back to the 5 rep range you'll have broken your plateau.

he is sucking in his gut and pic is low resolution, he has all 8 here

Attached: maxresdefault (9).jpg (1280x720, 124K)

If I could buy you a box of quest bars I would thank you for the detailed write out. Saving this reply and going to put some work in following your advice

Eat more bench more

Haha no need for anything bro.
Make sure to be smart about your training and try hard

Do 5/3/1 with one of the many recommended variation in his book. Beyond 5/3/1 gives you a ton of different variations but you will need the first book to understand the basis of 5/3/1.

Where the fuck are you seeing eight? It's from side and he looks like a roided freak on the right. On the left is a far more realistic bodyfat and plenty low enough to show abs. If you think ab insertions aren't a think you're retarded. Literally just fucking google it, there are thousands of examples of people with single digit body fat with 8, 6, and 4 packs.

deload reload sleep eat
stuck again? find some exercises which hit the small muscle groups

Post body and lifts

Post birth certificate and bachelor degree

>recommends a program notorious for low volume and no upper body gains
>won’t post body and lifts
it’s alright, you fell for the memes

Why didn't you post your bachelor degree bro?

It's because you're a lean manlet

Nice false equivalence nigger, I’ll actually post my body and lifts 605/385/765 @ 201 along with a video. I’ll also recommend that OP actually does any basic DUP program over 5/3/1 for faster hypertrophy and strength gains. Higher frequency + volume is essential for NATURAL lifters, especially when it comes to upper body movements. Also, you definitely look like you can put more muscle on OP. It’s generally recommended that novices emphasize hypertrophy training to improve leverages and build a foundation for CNS efficiency to be trained into.
youtu.be/NewBM7NMsvY
strongerbyscience.com/periodization-data/

Attached: E2957775-47D0-418C-90B9-84507A0D33F9.jpg (750x777, 103K)

Why did you blur your face in the pic if we can see it in the video LMAO

Once you can no longer linearly progress, you're no longer a beginner.
Switch to Texas method

Maybe it's time to deload for 1 week, let the CNS recover and then increase to 190 lbs.

people are gonna reeee because "muh cables are bad" but usually when I stall on bench I do higher reps with slightly lower weight on cable and really push it to failure for 4-5 sets

Cringe response

Or switch to a deload week

Top genetics, mirin

you can’t take a pic of me in my video and use it but you could with a selfie that has my face showing

>all that weight on deadlift
>legs and abs still look small
do we need any more proof that deadlift is a meme, it's fucking 735lbs x 3

Trust me, look into DUP. I have trained multiple friends up to 325 wilks within a year using this type of periodization.

Yes, do highbar, front squats and machine movements if you want big legs. It depends on your goal but deadlifts, even sumo, will build a big back.

Attached: 439D1C81-29F9-445E-BBCE-4948153117D9.jpg (1575x2100, 321K)

>I will never have biceps like yours
I want to die

Nothing's essential except beating enough and progressive overload, good lifts and body but I am doing just fine on 531, it has plenty of volume for me

What is DUP

Thanks, using the link you sent?

>could have mired anything else
>mires the biceps
absolute dyel

how much do u pin to get all that backne, I thought mine was bad ...

Like I said, high frequency and volume for upper body. Mine shot up an inch and a quarter in a few months when I started doing dumbbell preacher curls 4x8 3 times a week RPE 9.5 first 3 sets and 10 for last set. You’d probably see better results if you periodized it to a certain extent and did 6x12 (day 1) 4x9 (day 2) 4x6 (day 3) while increasing intensity as the week goes on.

Attached: 7B0989AC-5224-4444-9073-4975B5AB20CF.png (658x500, 67K)

I get on an incline bench and do tricep overhead extensions w two dumbbells. I found this hits them harder than standing db oh ext and with less strain. I did like 4x10-15 and blew my bench up 40lbs (205-245)

Fucked up videogame character aside, 531 or somethjng similar will help

>That Bacne
>Natty

Ayy

>bacne = roids
cringe

Literally yes

How come I'm natty and have it then?

Sorry user, I injected you with tren while you were sleeping

Lmao did you guys not see the thread of everybody complaining about it. It’s genetic and my dad, cousin and grandfather had it during puberty. If you actually look, they’re all hypertrophic scars and none are red/active pimples because I haven’t gotten a cyst since 15-16 years old.

also
>reddit spacing

those are some really big numbers for a 19 y o and you have really big arms, shoulders, traps

if u aint roiding u are manlet simple as

I’m 5’10” so yes a king of manlets, u mad lanklet nigger?

I'm not even that guy you cunt, I'm just another natty with bacne.

5'10 hahaha ok u are probably natty

being a manlet doesn't make it easier to get big numbers though.
(in fact it's the opposite)

jmaxfitness.com/blog/daily-undulating-periodization/
This Is actually what I did back when I was 15-16 and my deadlift was ~500 lbs all the way up until now. I wouldn’t say it’s optimal and I’d personally change it up and do all of the 4x8 sets Monday for all exercises, 5x5 on Wednesday for all exercises and 6x3 for all exercises on Friday but instead of speed work, do heavy triples @ 90% or so. I’d need to be in contact with you to optimize it for your goals as well as RPE and add in AMRAP sets though

Guys I'm 30 and I still get chest and back acne from time to time. He just needs (or needed) sunlight.

Attached: 3b6.jpg (353x400, 20K)

fuck my boipussy plox

Greg Nuckols has a 3-day a week high volume bench pressing program available on his website that worked nicely for me. My paused bench had been stuck for a while with programs like 5/3/1 BBB, but switching over to his program blew up my bench press.

sunburn actually made it go away for a long time but a few began popping up again until I threw out my old soap started using tea tree oil

Unbelievable good post by Jow Forums standard

Attached: a1814152360_10__34648.jpg (1200x1200, 246K)

you stupid fuck its obviously shopped, it not his body you mong...

lol 10 cm from the ground lift, o my fuck, literally destroying whole spine for "almost sumo dl" gratz

nice cope post your cringeventional deadlift video or your mother will die in her sleep tonight
also, does this count?
youtu.be/DjN9bI-JONI

Attached: 24C7D995-43F3-4A7E-AC3F-A7B71B2E4EE3.jpg (640x640, 79K)

As other user said, Beyond 531 is a must. At it's very, very VERY disavowed core, the backbone is low volume- 3 worksets a week. However, of the many variations, the typical minimum is 8 worksets per week. Not to mention recommendations for accessories and so on. 8 working sets per week is plenty, and that's not to mention that doing AMRAPs changes things, in addition to the freedom to work up to heavier singles, other variations with more sets, etc.

What this user said, but I would also like to add in that wide grip bench is also a good accessory for developing more chest strength.

Sunlight is the best cure for acne I've ever used, personally.

>lifting the bar 4 inches off the ground
cool?

>nuclear cope
let's see your conventional deadlift then nigger, i posted my other video here:

Ooof

>sumo
BAHAHAHAAHAHAHA THESE ARE THE PEOPLE GIVING YOU FITNESS ADVICE

lmao can tell from video your a manlet

5’10” manlet KANG that is white boi

youtube.com/watch?v=M7c5zYeeedc
Say goodbye to your shoulders in about 3 months.

Do smolov jr

Well it’s been about 8 months LMAO. Funny enough I actually injured my low back, so much for sumo not hitting low back!

How long have you been stuck at the plateau? Have you followed the program, including deloads? Sleep and food? Sufficient rest between sets? Correct technique? Do you do any extra chest, shoulder or tricep exercises?
If all this is in place, there is no reason as to why you should not advance, given enough time and persistence.
I would be wary of changing programs just like that - the bench press is not the focal point of the program, and utilises smaller muscles than the squat and deadlift, so it is only natural that you would run into trouble with it sooner or later. Rather than fucking around with other programs, appreciate that you've finally caught up with the "noob gains", grace period, whatever you want to call it - now is the time for you to get stronger with a goal in mind - to break through the plateau.
Just log your progress and write down your thoughts on how it went, to review later on.

Wait, you're the chad kid from that video? I didn't know you post here, dude, mirin'. I remember watching that last year in December when I started lifting.

Different guy but almost exact same predicament (225 x 1 max, 185 x 6) except for a year now, I’m ashamed to say. Will try what you suggested. Thank you very much.

do 4x6

>bench 2pl8 for 5x8
>have lower bodyfat than OP
>pecs are half his size
>abs are nonexistant despite lower bf%
what the fuck

yo you an Ohio bro?

maryland