While you were out partying, I was studying the blade

Used to spar with friends of various martial arts in HS almost everyday for years. Basically MMA with various armed weaponry.
I'm 32 now.

Picked it up again recently inside the house because it's a delt exercise that doesnt make me want to kill myself in boredom.
Have also started doing resistance band bow draw inside and archery outside. 50lb resistance tube that I double up to get 100lb and 50# recurve bow).

Had an old watermelon outside and a sign post from house sale.

>idea.jpg

I've never struck a watermelon before.
Might as well sprinkle backyard with seeds.

Also wanted to test slow motion recording on new phone.

I know my form is bad. Using my back too much, but target is low (not head height).

Armed martial arts thread I guess.

Attached: Untitled - Sequence 01 1_1_1.webm (720x480, 2.9M)

Other urls found in this thread:

pre98.com/shop/gone-but-not-forgotten/important-japanese-ww2-rare-early-copper-handled-type-95-army-sword-ncos/
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

Yeah

Have you had any legit sword training?

Full speed.
Previous was x8 slow.

Attached: Untitled - Sequence 01.webm (1080x1080, 1.34M)

I've had a single class of kendo instruction. My two best friends were in kendo/akido. I went to a class once.

Other than that..just practicing outside for hours.

There are 3 slats of wood under watermelon to prop it up a bit.
If you look closely I am actually stopping the bokken before it cuts down past watermelon.
But like I said....this motion is awkward shown here because its so low to ground.

I'm actually super surprised at how "clean" the cuts are given it's essentially a wooden stick and it's a rubbery watermelon that's been outside for a week.

Attached: 20190713_125346_004_1 (1).webm (1020x480, 2.91M)

Attached: 20190713_125346_006_2.webm (1920x1080, 1.81M)

>that forward lean

Brah, ever heard of HEMA?

>this entire thread

Attached: Gvu7Qkr.png (583x584, 658K)

Attached: greetings-peasents-how-goes-th-by-the-pope-32404310.png (500x761, 218K)

i haven't read anything ITT. just watched and laughed hahahahahaahhahaah

i recommend you start lifting and try ss+gomad

I know the man looks like a weeb, yet thee cannot deny that swordsmanship does not require skill and fitness.

A kinda sorta downward/diagonal cut as I'm trying to avoid hitting the metal in center and crossbars and fuck up bokken.

Attached: 20190713_125346_005_1_1.webm (1120x780, 2.67M)

Fuck, should have read before i posted

Attached: 20190713_125346_007_1 (1).webm (1320x1080, 2.81M)

Hey man, you'll probably get more torque and thus more power if you rotate your hips more. Not a sword expert, but I played Baseball at a high-ish level, and also boxed: In both of those, you generate most power from the hips, not the shoulders, your arms are really just along for the ride from the torque you create with your legs and hips

I should make fun of you, but today is so hot and so I have no energy to think of anything. Just think that I called you something similar to a weeaboo or something.

I use my hips a WHOLE lot more when using one-handed (2x) and spear/halberd.

With bokken, I try to make movements as absolutely controlled and powerful as possible.

I actually prefer 2x one-handed because it opens up alot more openings and flexibility in movement if you have coordination for it.
It's like dumbbell versus barbell.

Used to spar with a guy who played baseball as well. He basically used a club which transitioned into a spear/halberd.
If using core come naturally to you, transitioning to spear/halberd comes much much easier.

Imagine if you test your baseball skills against someone in a fight....that's basically what fighting with friends as I was in HS.

We were headgear to protect head and face/eyes.
Head hits were generally pulled a bit to prevent concussions.
We were using were pine dowel rods cut to size from home depot. They were pretty disposable, and could go through/break about 6 sticks in a good weekend (after they get bruised and cracked from repeat hitting against each other). Cracked and broken weapons were discarded immediately (safety hazard).

Actually broke 2 bokkens so far.

Hurts like a bitch when you take a full speed hit and leaves a bruise but doesnt break bone.

To us, the pain of getting hit was vital to learning proper defense.
It only takes getting hit in thigh/shin a handful of times before you would learn to keep it closer to your body.

I've always been a history buff and have a collection of vintage rifles+bayonets from various wars. My oldest is from 1889.

I own a single sword. A WWII officers Katana that I scooped up from a gun show.
The seller had a table full of trashy shit. Someone must have sold it to him and he thought it was a fake/display sword.
He didnt know what he had.
A pre 1945 officers sword. The pure copper handle, brass rivets, and serial numbers were telltale that it's legit and early war, it also smelled of cosmoline.
When I took it home and took it apart, saw makers mark under the hilt.

pre98.com/shop/gone-but-not-forgotten/important-japanese-ww2-rare-early-copper-handled-type-95-army-sword-ncos/

Attached: 20190713_152054.jpg (3721x1159, 3.34M)

Attached: Adobe_20190713_153503.png (2286x1169, 3M)

This is embarrassing. Take some proper lessons.

>hunny what's that noise!?
>Oh dont worry about it the neighborhood retard's beating up fruit again
>Again!? I can't believe you talked me into moving here