If you could talk to your former self, the time you first started working out seriously...

If you could talk to your former self, the time you first started working out seriously, what tips would you give yourself?

Attached: beginner-weight-training-guide-main.jpg (850x567, 87K)

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=PkQb2LJtLgo
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

Just it's it doesn't get better

Start with high volume to understand movement patterns for a couple months.
Pick a simple program that focuses on strength while not neglecting volume
CAREFULLY track weight gain and slow bulk. TDEE calculators aren't enough
Take care of health outside of the gym, wash hands, etc. Getting sick and injuring yourself are huge setbacks

Eat more you fuck and squat deeper

Don't waste time trying to invent your own routine.
Don't waste time buying second hand weights to lift at home when there's a dozen gyms nearby.
Don't waste time trying to "clean bulk".
Do SS+GOMAD.

Honestly this

SS but add dips (youll love them) and HIIT

DO NOT EVER waste your time on brosplits, PPL, intermediate programs when you're far from intermediate, or anything involving more reps than 5 at max

>anything involving more reps than 5 at max
while I agree that stupid high exercise selection with insane volume (e.g. PPL, brosplits, intermediate programs) is bad for beginners, I think it's also bad to exclusively do low volume work. I recommend something like 3x5 or 5x3 one day, then 3x10 or 3x15 the next. something like GZCLP is a great middleground for developing good movement patterns while maximizing recovery

>I recommend something like 3x5 or 5x3 one day, then 3x10 or 3x15 the next
That would be fine for an intermediate routine, but for a complete noob who just wants to put more weight on the bar every workout and max out their linear progression as quickly as possible, 3x5 is optimal.

I'd tell myself to read the sticky and not stop after half a year or so.
First time I started I was 15 but I went about it the wrong way.

>put more weight on the bar every workout and max out their linear progression as quickly as possible
You're right, the focus should absolutely be on getting stronger first and foremost. High volume, low weight sets on a separate day are good for developing movement patterns though. In my experience, it's a little bit hard to apply new concepts and understand a lift like the squat, bench, and deadlift only doing 15-30 reps a week. Something simple like 5x3 bench on a Monday and 3x10 with low weight on a Friday wouldn't have a significant impact on recovery to the point that they couldn't add weight to the bar every time. I was able to get gains on SS for a long time and probably could have stayed on it until intermediate, but I preferred having just a tad more volume to allow me to practice the movement more. If you're really good at applying concepts without practice, then I guess it's fine. Little practice w/ gains built on a shaky foundation of bad form is a recipe for disaster

It won't get you girls, it won't get you social skills, but you will be able to run after the bus for two fucking stops.

Cross country isn't going to fix being skinny fat, spend more time on weight lifting.

(I was confused at the time because some of the XC runners were very muscular and I thought it was mostly from running)

>give up the machines already and use the fucking barbells
I wasted so much time spinning my wheels on machines and not accomplishing anything

Don’t ever fall for the GOMAD meme unless you have powerlifting goals, you’ll just get fat as fuck

Commit to a program instead of doing everything you tard

dont do it its a waste of time

Take eating more meals seriously.

Deadlift and squat.

Learn the forms and build from there.

Eat bigger and listen to the piano man.

Juice earlier faggot. You wasted your youth being proud that you were natty when you could have been bigger and hotter when there were uni girls everywhere.

5x5 until you can bench 3 plates

It will be worth it, more than you can currently imagine.

There's no shame in lifting for aesthetics. Switch to a hypertrophy program.

eat healthy, less junk food, more whole foods
eat until youre full each meal
dont drink soda
drink a lot of water
lift the big 3
don't worry about routine, just do what makes sense and be consistent about it
progress your lifts steadily but surely
use accessory lifts
sleep more
rest your body when it is extremely sore

>add HIIT
>get off your fucking phone
>do cardio more
>leave your gf now before she cheats. She a gains goblin and you get to fuck 21 year olds.

Be consistent and patient.

Eat more

>do starting strength
>if you prioritise sleep, do texas method
>if not, do HLM
>bulk to 242
>you're starting this journey for thots but you're gonna realise that the heaviest thing we lift ain't weights but feels
>stop skipping deadlifts, your squat will overtake your deadlift and you'll be looked at as a monster when you squat 4pl8 then don't even bench 2pl8 or pull 4.

Attached: 1508240727621.png (710x409, 17K)

what are your leverages like that your squat surpassed your deadlift? I can't fathom that happening to me

more i squat every workout first, then bench then pulls or whatever. So if time was short or I was tired I skipped diddlies. Combine this with sticking to DOH up till 160kg then grip failing and being like WTF, deadlift is just more awkward. Like if I want to fail I let go. With squat the bars simply on my back. If I go to fail I'm fucked.

all the way to 160kg? do you do extra grip training? my grip started to fail me DOH @ 100kg. started using chalk and mixed soon after, but I'd like to transition back to DOH

literally just follow what Jay Cutler teaches and do it to a T and you will learn bodybuilding in about 3 weeks.

Oh and on the diet the Vertical Diet is money.

End it now

football workouts are fun but your not gonna get big , just strong and lean. change up your workouts to add mass and eat more food....like a lot more. also do more bench press and cardio.

dont waste your time with gslp, do ppl.
and fix your shitty squat form, its giving you leg and back pain. watch this youtube.com/watch?v=PkQb2LJtLgo
stop listening to rippetoe
try changing bench press for dips, and read pic related.
dont beat yourself up because of fatties here claiming they lift 1 plate ohp after 3 months

Stay on the football team
Do SS
Keep lifting after highschool

forgot pic related

Attached: Screenshot_37.png (1388x353, 30K)

Learn the technique right if you want to stop getting injured

>Give myself an actual program
>Tell me to shut up with the "I can't gain weight I just have skinny genes" stuff
>Introduce concept of bulking, cutting, counting calories
>Eat at least three meals a day, increase the portion size by doubling what you normally take at meals, after a workout make a protein smoothie out of real food ingredients
>Supplements and protein shakes are a waste of money
>Steroid use is way more common than you think and a lot of the guys you see and currently think you wanna look like are on it
>Tell myself to quit the basketball team it's not fun, the only memories you'll have of it are negative and cringe. Pick up muay thai instead
>Don't let her convince you to get into a relationship.

>just do starting strength already and stop program hopping every 6 weeks.
>also the magic key to progressing on squats is literally trying harder

gomad is a meme dont fall for it

Weights are gay. Stick to football

based trips

Fucking widen your fucking grip in bench and stop doing 20 different things in the gym.

Oh yeah swim and do cardio more.

Go big, eat slightly bigger

Don't stop lifting with your bro and eventually lose the bond you had reformed with him.

Attached: 1444970748121.jpg (480x360, 37K)

eat you mofo, don't say 100 g of proteins is just enough, hit 200 g
sleep
formformformformform
stay away from ss, that's a meme
gz you've just wasted 2 years as a gymcel

Pin test in your ass and do nofap

5km running every second day

Attached: FB_IMG_1562730836584.jpg (720x405, 45K)

Focus on buying a house earlier so you can build your gym sooner. Winter is far too much of a demotivator for you to make it to the gym.

Your leverages are better for calisthenics, do calisthenics + barbell squats and deadlifts. OHP and incline are also enjoyable.

Every workout needs rear delt and medial delt work.

Start doing ring work asap, your shoulders need the extra rotator cuff strengthening rings do.

Cardio is just as important as strength training if not more.

Stretching out your shoulders so you can hold your own hands behind your back is important for shoulder health. Pike stretches are going to make your legs feel a hell of a lot better.

Failure is breaking form.

You don't have to chase weight every workout as a beginner. Your condition varies from workout to workout and it's okay to lighten the load if you're grinding out reps. You can increase intensity with addition sets, reps and lower rest times if you can't increase weight with good form.

Your arms won't grow unless you hit them directly.

SS is a meme.

Don't bulk past a 32 inch waistline. +500 cal is the absolute max for our frame, a lower calorie bulk is preferable.

"You have shit genetics and will never be "big" even if you train consistently for 20 years and even do a few cycles of steroids, so don't take training so seriously." - 42 year old self to my 18 year old self.

Working out seriously?
Nothing, i did well.

don't deadlift hard 3 times a week if you want to get big. Just lift in the 6-15 rep range man.

Get out of that chair and just do general exercise + yoga for half a year before attempting barbell lifts. You'll never be able to lift without pain with that kind of shitty flexibility.

Do supermans. Do then often. Pop your back with a foam roller instead of twisting your back. Widen that squat stance. Eat spinach. Do slow reps with light weight taking full Yogi breaths. Don't count reps, count time. Don't jerk off every day. Protein powder is good for lunch, not the whole day. Eat less bread and dairy. Eat more steak and beans and vinegar/hotsauce to feel full. Running is over rated, do yoga instead but really try to exaggerate it so you sweat and your heart rate increases and stays increased. Drink water as soon as you wake up. TAKE OMEGA 3 SUPP, IT CURED YOUR DEPRESSION. Meditate while weight lifting. Needing a spotter just meant you were lifting so much weight you had no control over it. Exhale for form, inhale for power. Don't pop your knees in a kneeled position, pop them while laying on your back. Learn guitar earlier, it makes lifting rhythm easier and gives you something to do when you're on rest days. Count your calories. It's okay to like flowers.

Attached: IMG_20190521_063445561.jpg (4160x3120, 2.82M)

dont deadlift
eat whatever you want and start hiit

>le spacing

I did DOH every workout, no chalk. I had about 6 months in calisthenics before starting weights and still did a lot of chinups/pullups so that built my forearms up massively. I stopped doing them on this program and noticed my forearms no longer got caught in my knee sleeves, thought I was imagining it but 130 rolled out of my hands last workout.

>tips for not making it

I started lifting at 17 and my advice to my past self would be to start roiding immediately. Nothing major just go on a moderate dose of 300mg test per week for a few years before and during uni, and then take it from there.

>bulking and cutting is a meme
>dont do gay brosplits
>strength = mass
>eat more protein

fuck off half 2/3rds of this boards are regulars on leddit. deal with it.

not me of course.

Don’t waste time with squats and deadlifts

Train hard, eat healthy get an apprenticeship, dont love her.

Attached: serveimage[1].jpg (199x253, 12K)

You need to eat loads of high quality raw animal fats
Caffeine usage is going to catch up with you
Ibuprofen is bad
Don't stress over conforming to society
The rest is fine

follow boring but big and dont btoher changing anything. its the best thing I ever did and If I started it sooner I would be way stronger and bigger than I am now.

Shes not worth it, and she never will be.

Quoting for truth. Just fucking do all rep ranges form day one, do curls, do accessory movements.

Do SS and eat more.