/fast/ - #465 - fasting buddha edition

What is /fast/?
>Fast is a thread for the discussion of intermittent fasting, fasting, water fasting, and dry fasting.
discord.gg/qqtQFDQ

What’s the difference between intermittent fasting, water fasting, dry fasting, etc.?
>Intermittent fasting: Fasting for a certain amount of time with a short eating window. 16:8 (16 hours fasting, 8 hour eating window) is the bare minimum.
>Water fasting: Fasting with only water.
>Dry fasting: Fasting with no water. Dangerous, use with caution.

Why should I fast?
>ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC3946160/
>ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/11147801
>idmprogram.com/difference-calorie-restriction-fasting-fasting-27/
>youtube.com/watch?v=APZCfmgzoS0

How do I safely do an extended fast?
>Take snake juice, or just supplement electrolytes.
>Water=2L
>Potassium chloride =1 tsp (No Salt)
>Sodium chloride = 1/2 tsp (Himalayan Pink Salt)
>Sodium Bicarbonate = 1 tsp (Baking Soda)
>Magnesium Sulphate = 1/2 tsp (Food Grade Epsom Salts)
>Mix these in 2L of water and sip it throughout the day.
>[OPTIONAL] 2 tbsp Apple cider vinegar and 4 tbsp lemon juice. DO NOT MIX with snake juice, drink separately.
>You can also do this if you feel lightheaded, weak, dizzy, nauseous, etc., on shorter water fasts. Don’t do this while intermittent fasting.

Won’t I go into starvation mode?
>No. The mainstream definition of starvation mode is a myth. Read the FAQ linked below for more information.

Will (something with calories) break my fast?
>Yes.

Can I drink coffee, tea, and diet soda? Or anything with artificial sweeteners?
>You can do whatever the fuck you want. We recommend avoiding those, sweeteners especially.

Do I need a multivitamin?
>No

this is the community discord: discord.gg/qqtQFDQ
its SFW

Prolonged fast FAQ: fast.fandom.com/wiki/FAST_FAQ

losertown.org/eats/cal.php

Last Thread:

Attached: fasting buddha.jpg (182x277, 12K)

How do I reach Isshin mode?

Attached: Isshin.png (600x600, 660K)

buddha thinspo

No food since lunch yesterday but I had a scoop of protein powder with water this morning. Still gotta use that as the start time.
Watching angry snake man videos is a good time

Alright say I do a 48 hour fast, is it a good idea to eat a big breakfast to break it then go right back to another 48 or 72 hour fast? Or a couple days of OMAD?

I have Cole's bottle and the premade packs (because I wanted to support Cole) and I'm wondering if I should do the whole packet in the bottle or half? also should I go 2 or 3 days for my first fast?

Attached: 1552334189915m.jpg (1024x1006, 63K)

Carry the momentum as far as possible. Don't break it if you're not fucked up. Realize that you're a food addict and that you have plenty of bodyfat to burn.

I am trying very hard to do a long fast, but I always convince myself otherwise. Anyway, I just broke my fast at 2 days and 3 hours. Was this a bad refeed?

1 normal sized hotdog (no bun)
1 normal sausage
broccoli (it was in some type of oil/sauce, kinda like Chinese broccoli.)
I had half a mug of this sauce (also had some broccoli in it). I'm not sure what the sauce is, but my sister makes it all the time for pasta, but I like it too much by itself.

And I had HALF a ball of this mac n cheese ball. Basically, they made a ball of Mac n cheese but on the outside it kinda looks like a meatball. Cut it in half just to taste it.

And for the record, this is what I am trying to do. Just go as long as possible. I know for a fact that I have a food addiction because I'm craving to binge eat all the time, and my refeeds are usually fucked up and I eat later on again anyway on something even worse. It's just a mess. So I hope this refeed was alright and I'm just starting again immediately. (even though I'm thinking about food even more now)

Would eating a pound of 80/20 hamburger on a refeed after a 4 day snake juice fast and lifting after eating be okay?

Bump

>did my first fast over this weekend
>lasted 41 hours before giving in to hunger
I hate myself. I guess I'll try to start over tomorrow...

what was your goal? I'm going on 78 of a 96

hey guys I've had diarrhea 2 times today on the snake juice, is this normal?

Broccoli and hotdog is fine, but the carbs and grease might fuck you up for a little while. You'll be fine within a day or so though.
Start fasting again ASAP- it sounds like you're on the right track.

I ate like three pounds of meat and cheese after a three day fast recently. It gave me the farts and the shits for the first few hours, and I got the meat sweats. Overall though, it was way better than fasts where I binged on carbs afterwards. I felt high energy and pretty normal.

But isn't that too many calories? Isn't the suggestion 500 calories after a fast?

Thanks.

It actually only ended up being around 1500 kcal because most of it was chicken and turkey.

But yeah, there's nothing wrong with going low. Do what you feel comfortable with. Even if you were to fuck up super badly, the human body is resilient.

THANKS if I can make it to two days again without eating again after my refeed, I think I'm on the right track as well. Also trying to make it a routine to do 100 squats every single day, and 5 push ups every time i walk outside (because I have a pull up bar outside with/dip/pushup handles)

I was trying to last until noon tomorrow for lunchtime.

it's okay to fail, just take it in stride and try again. When you need some motivation watch some of Cole's videos or go to his Insta and look at the before and after. That's what gets me through.

Any insightful anons that can offer a Buddhist perspective on fasting besides a strictly historical one?

anyone else get cold as fuck on a fast? it was 95 today but I was freezin.

20 minutes left.
What should I break it with, lads?

Attached: Screenshot_2019-07-14-23-44-28.png (720x1280, 103K)

Cut back on the snake juice if you get the shits, you're taking in too much salts

are you a skeleton?
Test something new and see how it settles. I broke my 3 day fast with roast beef, peanut butter and sardines; I feel great.

Anyone have issues with acid reflux? Fasting for 8 days now, keep feeling burning sensation in chest and throat. Tried vomiting but its just clear liquids.

I need to drop 60 fucking kilos help me REEE I'm not water fasting, can I do this on OMAD?

Who knew fasting was absolutely hell for your body? That's why I don't do it.

low carb omad would work if you're okay with it taking months
i've never had problems with that in general

so Im confused, how come 0 calories can burn fat but not destroy muscle, and perhaps you can even workout on it with minimal muscle loss
but if you eat like lets say 1000 calories a day and workout, now its bad

is it because fasting gets you in deep ketosis, so your body has to burn fat

while as eating 1k calories your insulin is spiked, meaning it wants to burn fuel but cant so its catabolic???

Yeah pretty much. How do you think we survived during the hunting and gathering days. We often went weeks without hunting anything and found a edible berry bush every so often. Evolutionary it wouldn't make sense to lose muscle for shit like that.

When you're in ketosis your body doesn't want to consume muscle.

Insulin blocks lipolysis. A calorie deficit with carbs causes lower metabolism due to lack of available energy.

Fasting or a zero carb diet ensures your stored energy (body fat) is usable. This means you are never in an energy deficit until body fat hits 4% and your metabolism slows to preserve what remains.

Tfw haven't eaten anything for 16h.

Attached: 355032569_7a9028bfd5_b.jpg (385x567, 80K)

If someone helps me become skelly I'll suck your dick daily

stop eating fatty, its that simple
i laughed

Buddha is literally the exact guy who rationally determined that fasting is just a really slow and passive aggressive way to commit suicide.

Follow the middle whey

Attached: 44971FE100000578-0-image-a-201_1506090429328.jpg (636x382, 33K)

Anyone else on a diet cola fast?

Yep

artificial sugars are harmful to your brain, fast with tea and water

Im only gonna do it for like a month or two not forever. I quit after I lose weight. Two months of some weird chemicals is not going to kill me.

Who /depression/ here? Just broke a 3 day fast earlier today with some Mexican restaurant food cause I had a WICKED craving for it, and also I am retarded. I'm feeling alright physically, but mentally trashed. I find myself wanting the hunger to come back, cause even though I hate the taste it leaves in your mouth, and the headaches are a drag, I find that depression never even crosses my mind when I'm at least a day and a half in. No time to think about anything but what I'm doing, fasting, and FUCKING FOOD! Fucking dreaming about food. Longest so far was an 8 day fast over half a year ago. I stopped, and went back to my SAD diet, but I'm trying to buckle down and go all the way this time. Lost so much weight last time. Gained most of it back, but still looked thinner. Gonna try to go Skelly mode.

Long story short, fasting cures depression.

My first six months went amazingly and now I'm fucking struggling like mad, I seem to have lost all of my self control and it's fucking stressing me out so I get stressed, eat more, get stressed, eat more, can't fast, etc.. etc..

Any tips for finding that self control again?

I thought I was the only one

I watched a documentary on water fasting, specifically a clinic where they monitor clients who come specifically to cure their ailments. Apparently it was inspired by a very depressed fellow in an army hospital who didn’t want to eat, but because they had an obligation to keep him alive the nurses kept trying to feed him until some based doctor said “if he doesn’t want to eat then fine, let him.” 12 days later he woke up lucid and fine. It seems even the brain is evolved to know when to put the fork down to heal itself.

>Can I do this on OMAD?
Yes, and I think it should take you around 6 months to do so. Reply if you want me to expound on my tried-and-true regimen that a big brain break/fast/ club member helped me create.

Please do

I dropped from 86kg to 74kg in the month of February and the first week of March. I'm somewhere between 175 and 180cm, so that means I went from overweight to almost skinnyfat.
I ate one meal a day, and following the advice of a guy from these threads I tried to approximate a ketogenic diet. Lots of fat to get my body in the state of burning fat, and lots of protein to help my muscles recover from the exercise I put them through despite the caloric deficit. I ate:
>meat - beef steak; any cut of chicken, including giblets
>eggs - maybe 4 a day
>cheese - any kind I could get my hands on
>mayonnaise - decent source of fat, goes well with cottage cheese. I hit this shit hard, >70g a day.
>nuts - for fat - peanuts, cashews, almonds, etc.
>salad - a small amount, good for passing all this food
I stuffed my face with this shit every day, but only once. Once in a while, I'd plug in all the ingredients I had eaten during the day in a calorie calculator, and the result would invariably be 1200 Cal, give or take.
I did moderate exercise - hours of walking, some biking and running appropriate for my training level, dumbbells and body-weight exercises one can do at home.
What does this mean for you? The food - you can stick to a similar plan and calorie goal easily. The exercise - it will be a lot more difficult for you because of your weight, but keep it mind - it's about burning energy and getting your muscles in shape. Go at your own pace and do the best that is sustainable for you. Living at a 1300+ caloric deficit IS doable and sustainable. You just have to try.

Thanks and good job

>ruining your autophagy and your fat burning with diet cola

diet cola has no calories :)

Do you ever get osteoporosis just to flex on people who eat

Would two 60h fasts a week, then the remaining time be 18h fasting with a 6h eating window (low to no carb) be the best way to lose weight?

Or just fast 3 days (72 hours) and then eat a meal and repeat

why didn't i think of that

I'll try again next weekend. I also may fast for today, because I have felt like shit in my stomach since I woke up.

Going to order electrolyte supplements with no sugar in it online now. Wish me luck brothers

Attached: 1536692118738.png (657x777, 23K)

stupid frogposter

So I'm assuming my stomachs shrunk from the constant fasting. Previously I could very easily smash 2-3k calories in 1 sitting plus more later and I had a strong desire to eat. Now I struggle to eat like 1k throughout the day. Tips? I've started to get serious with my lifting and I really need to increase my intake but its absolute suffering trying to hit my calories/macros, even when I try to space it out via lots of small meals.

Started that OMAD + Clen life 3 days ago at 18% bf. Down to 16.8% now. Can I keep up the 0.4% a day for the next 12 til I come off Clen for the 12% bf finish frens?

Attached: 1234.jpg (750x1000, 87K)

If you're "struggling to eat" you're not hungry and shouldn't eat.

Nigga he’s trying to increase his lifts

okay but being sat on 1k calories a day is not going to work with heavy lifting

That doesn't sound normal, are you sure you're not dying? Grab some mcchickens i guess

The kind of fasting he was doing, yes. He was performing traditional Indian asceticism, incredibly hardcore shit.

If he was lifting heavy enough he'd be hungry. Ever heard of working up an appetite?

If you're not hungry you shouldn't be eating.

this is incredibly shaky logic

after reading lots of questions if fasting help with depression, i can say yes. even animals go into a fasting mode when they have an emotional loss in their life.

also there is a fasting high from the serotonine in your gut which gets directly absorbed and isnt mixed with food.

Attached: 49836942_2639897419361653_5349459149593772032_n.jpg (960x960, 92K)

Imagine a salt-deficient person saying "I can't force myself to eat enough salt!"

Imagine a dehydrated person saying "I can't force myself to drink enough water!"

Just as thirst and salt cravings are regulated by the body, so is hunger. If you're not hungry for protein-rich foods like meat and eggs you aren't working your muscles enough to need it.

45 MINUTES TILL I CAN EAT

Attached: 90D2F223-6410-418F-ADDF-33312DC2F3D4.png (756x768, 507K)

is it cheating if i dont eat till four but dont get out of bed till 14:00

Meeting up with a friend in the middle of September.

Have until then to lose weight. Already went from 270 to 230 now, though the majority of that was over 2 months last year.

Doing OMAD and occasional 2-3 day waterfasts, how much do you reckon I can lose? I'll probably end up just doing fasting and maybe some BWE.

6'2 and if equation is legit, around 24.8% BF

it raises insulin which stops fat burning

Will reach 48 hours tonight (24 hours dry fasting).

I don't feel any hunger at all.
Thinking about doing a lighter workout to see if that pushes my body into a state where i can feel some fat burning

what is the best bf calculator online

aww
are you gay user?

Attached: 9BB0584E-1334-43D0-8F26-C3DD46EFC0ED.jpg (1440x1080, 237K)

>fasting high from serotonin in your gut
>mfw anorexics were right all along about the “hunger high”
I thought it was just a meme cause the girls are excited about self control and being thinner but it’s a real physiological thing?!

Attached: 2C8A99C4-0469-4B32-AB0B-092F7B46AF75.jpg (800x748, 55K)

Lmao got ‘em

Attached: 3053F6DE-4F4E-4ECB-8F50-9609FB2FD896.jpg (179x170, 10K)

So guys I have about 6.5 hours to go and I'm done with with my first 96 hour fast. I have lost 9 lbs. Feelsgoodman (I know a lot of it is water weight so don't @ me but my stomach does look flatter too)

Can I drink this on my fast?

Attached: INT_250_RBSF_SingleUnit_closed_cold_front.png (260x496, 154K)

Depends on your standards and what you want. Im pretty sure that drink will active insulin (which prevents fat burning) and block autophagy. It may be safer to not consume anything but water

At my doctor right now, what blood work should I ask for

n-no

its ok if you are

Is it still fasting if i consume nothing but water and protein shakes?

Attached: Screenshot_20190712-190626_YouTube.jpg (981x722, 181K)

calories equal broken fast

black coffee, water, or tea

my doctor said not to go longer than 48 hours lol

(You) earned this

Attached: 1562086681236.jpg (320x320, 23K)

I get tired of people thinking doctors are the ultimate authority in health. Most doctors and nurses aren't in much better physical condition than the average population.

Most doctors dont understand anything about nutrition and eating. And what they only follow some general guide lines.

Dry fast success stories anyone?

so what exactly does breaking fast mean? if I sip coffee with milk then how bad is it? it's not that bad the milk has like 20-30 calories per cup at max

weak

>(((doctor)))

Haven't eaten since lunch, and am on the move, planing on fasting untill tomorrow. Haven't done more than like 16 hours. Do I need to supplement some electrolytes?

here
its real, with the right gut bacteria it can be pretty intense, what do you think where the clear headed feeling comes from on a fast?
most people experience what its like to be on 1% of a MDMA pill.

Martin Berkham (of Lean Gains) used to say 50 cals, but he pulled the number out of his ass. But there is also this:
>For a 150-lb. person, sitting quietly burns 68 calories per hour

Dude you should do some research before you start fasting, that's actually dangerous.
>Do I need to supplement some electrolytes?
Fucking yes. You will die if you dont consume food every 14 hours.