Strength = size or strength =/= size

Is it true “strength = size” or is this a marketing gimmick by mark rippletoe

Attached: 6568AEBA-A9CD-426B-9F73-633E3DAC034D.jpg (1280x720, 171K)

Other urls found in this thread:

m.youtube.com/watch?v=X5wbzOPRu7A
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

Yeah you’ll gain size from training for strength but not as much as you’d gain by training for size. Additionally, you’ll gain strength from training for size but not as much as you’ll gain by training for strength.

Do your main lifts in the 3-6 rep range and do all your accessories in the 8-12 rep range

What happens if I only make 7 reps?

Look at any strongman. The bigger you are the stronger you'll be

you will literally die

Literally 0 gains
7 & 9 reps are no gains territory

Literally nothing. Your gains disappear.

Your gains will be 0. Might as well do nothing at all. Actually,doing nothing will make you more muscle. Doing 7 reps will actually make you lose muscle and be in the negative. Remember this next time you're on your 7th rep and can't get to 8

You lose all your gains and have to start over.

Why small reps ranges trigger strength and higher reps triggers size?

My friend will not believe this regardless of what studies I cite.

He thinks if he just continues training heavy, and doesn't do any targeted/volume or hypertrophy focused workouts that he will still build the physique he wants.

So compound movements only other than biceps and triceps.

Attached: 1560651891989s.jpg (250x213, 8K)

strength can equal size but not always
size can equal strength but usually doesn't

eh, biceps probably grow more with compounds (chin ups) than with isos anyway, so he's missing out on the one muscle that would benefit from his approach.
Maybe he doesn't really care too much about getting bigger, but prefers an easier-to-measure approach? It's not like he won't have a decent body like that, just not optimal for the effort.

What if you do high rep compounds

Yeah I've been doing lots of chin ups lately and people tell me that my arms are looking good

biceps and triceps do grow from compounds but not as much as when you do isolation work, I'v done both and my arms didn't really grow until I directly trained them
but that's just me

for an individual you literally cannot separate strength from size

Idk is the biggest guy the strongest guy? No? Is the most muscular guy the strongest guy? Is every person more muscular stronger than everyone less muscular?

HMMMMM! There you go

it's a shitty meme and sometimes you need size to gain more strength. I could never OHP more than 135 for 1 rep doint 3x5, it wasn't until i started doing 5x10, 4x8, hitting max sets of 10 and 15 reps that my OHP moved past 135 and my shoulders grew. I now OHP 200lbs

Strength equals size to a point
Some people don't need size
m.youtube.com/watch?v=X5wbzOPRu7A

Specifically he wants to have the bodybuilder taper, large shoulders, arms lats etc.

But he just squats, and bench presses and ohp( and arms.)

Its not like he's new, hes been working out for like 2 years. I just don't understand why he can think that adding accessories wouldn't help him reach his goal faster.

I am pretty sure no one fucking knows really. There does not seem to be a consensus on what makes a muscle grow or grow the most on either a real world exercise level nor on a physiological level.
Sure you have to trigger the muscle in some way or the other but what that really means in terms of rep range, range of motion and strength percentage or dynamic or isometric exercises no one seems to be able to agree on anything. Only way to find out is to try everything yourself.

Based

I managed to gain a bit of size on starting strength (though I modifed it a bit with the + rule from greyskull). I managed to get to 110 kg squats, 147,5 kg deadlifts, 52,5 kg ohp, and 75 kg bench (I have some shoulder issues that ruins my bench). Didn't deload that often, but I have to admit I eat like a bull and gained 10 kg on half a year. I've started doing more hypertrophy work now since my noobie gains stopped, and have switched to 5/3/1, but I still think doing SS/SL/Greyskull/PPL or whatever starting program with linear progression is the best way to start working out.

Why is his right arm bigger?

Attached: 983.jpg (1366x768, 83K)

It's 6-7. 9 is actually the holy grail of muscle development

i wish this was possible

Attached: 2109275.gif (423x316, 1.77M)

According to this book:
strength = muscle fibers connected to nervous system

And if you train only for mass, you may have only 50% of fibers connected. This is why you never see bodybuilders in strong men competitions.

So you should cycle mass and strength training.
Build new fibers
Connect them to nervous system
Repeat

Attached: Poliquin-Principles.png (425x550, 86K)

Because small reps use more weight while big reps use small weights

However if you want strength and size use big weight with a lot of reps

However that’s very fucking difficult

I have to say strength = size in my case, because lifts are shit and i'm fucking small even after training for 2 years.
Yea, i did SL, GSLP, PPL, but couldn't progress much because injuries, stress, etc, however i put tons of time on the gym, ate a lot and, well, fuck it. Better to jump on trt.

bump

There is such a thing as not enough volume. If only thing you're doing is trying to hit 1-3 rep prs you're severely limiting your size gains.

this is johnny candito. johnny is insanely strong and this is the size you can achieve with strength training with a focus on power lifting.

Attached: johnnycandito.jpg (540x532, 54K)

Is that supposed to be sarcasm

Fuck he needs to train neck asap

Strength makes you bigger in general, like everything just grows proportionally bigger. Hypertrophy focuses on specifics so you’ll still have a small frame but bigger muscle bodies. I do believe it makes a noticeable difference.

Is a rep range of 3 on big lifts like OHP, Bench or Squats enough or do i need 5 atleast? I feel like i cant fucking progress for shit while doing 5x5 but on 3 reps i have gained some strength through the weeks. .

Attached: 1538423458478.jpg (487x496, 102K)

If you have dropped your reps from 5 to 3 then ofcourse you will be able to lift more.

Take note, as your repitition range decreases, your chance of injury increases.

Its not like oh i cant ohp 50kg 5x5 but suddently i can 5x3 because duh its less reps, i gained for example 15kg on my bench and 10kg on my ohp when i switched to 3s not on 1 workout, but in like a 1.5 months, not that much but hey atleast i progress finally

what part of it is sarcasm? Johnny is insanely strong. I didn't say whether or not his size is impressive, it's just the size you can expect if you train for strength.

Attached: johnnystats.jpg (505x155, 11K)

I keep meaning to this:

Starting with a weight that I can do 3 sets of 12 reps.

Slowly add weight each session until my reps drop down to 3 sets of 5

The hold that weight, and increase reps back up to 3 sets of 12.

As long as I'm coming close to failure each session, then I should see progress.

How long would a strength/mass cycle be?

until you stop making progress in the current one.

"strength" as in ability to move a heavy object through space against resistance, is made up of two components. The volume of muscle fibers available to recruit, and your neuromuscular system's ability to recruit them. The latter comes from repeated practice with the movement e.g. a newbie will make rapid bench gains because he gets better at the movement, not because his muscles are exploding. But these neural gains are highly specific, so setting a high comp bench PR doesn't necessarily help you push your truck if it breaks down.
In contrast, muscle fiber size and the number thereof, is something that is highly nonspecific, and that's hypertrophy.
So it's more like hypertrophy is the glass, neural gains is the water, and the heavier the cup of water is, the heavier you can lift.
This also means that for hypertrophy you should be doing a variety of movements every session and go hard at all of them. Keep neural gains to a minimum. You'll be lifting less weight than if you did the same lift 4x per week but more of your progress will be due to muscle adaptation.

He's not going to get a bodybuilder look by training like a powerlifter exclusively. Even powerlifters have some GPP in their program and the occasional training block where they focus on non-specific movements. Adding in some GPP in the form of pullups/lat pulldowns, arm work and lateral raises shouldn't hinder his performance on the powerlifts provided he doesn't go overboard with them.

But going from a weight you can barely do 3x5 its extremely hard and gonna take an insane amount of time to get it to 3x12.

Will this work?

I like to do IF. On lifting days I do 4 hour eating window instead of OMAD, and increase my calories by 300.

On non lifting days, I eat at maintenance.

I'm trying to leanly bulk. I don't see a point in eating at a surplus on non lifting days.

IF is shit in general and it's particularly shit if you want to build muscle. OMAD is even worse.
Depending on your level of existing muscle mass, growth happens for 6-72 hours after training. So that also means that separating your days into growth and non-growth is pointless unless you are very advanced (2-3+ years of training), but in that case you can't gain a lot of additional muscle anyway.

I lost 50 lbs on OMAD in 8 months and didn't lose significant strength, so I find it hard to believe that it's shit.

Attached: 1557285434448.png (807x662, 37K)

To follow this up about the beginner neural gains.

Your muscles won't start building until your neurol gains are complete and the fibres you currently have, are all being stimulated.

Complex movments take longer to learn, isolation movements are learnt quicker.

Therefore if you want size as quickly as possible, it makes sense to take advantage of machines and some isolation movements, which will exhaust the neural gains quicker than complex barbell movements.

it's bullshit. The only way you can be big without being strong is by taking steroids. The form of training hardly matters.

>that face
That's just unfortunate, no amount of muscle will make that guy look manly

i hope this post is ironic. otherwise you must be very insecure

The man looks trans