ITT we try and make Starting Strength better

ITT we try and make Starting Strength better.

Add front squats and incline bench.

Attached: 51MfaFsIdpL._SX380_BO1,204,203,200_.jpg (382x499, 42K)

Other urls found in this thread:

stronglifts.com/results/#gref
nattyornot.com/how-to-make-the-program-starting-strength-work-for-aesthetics-dont-get-fat/
barbellmedicine.com/the-bridge/
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

Front Squats are a meme

Incline bench is a meme

meme's a meme

No they aren't. For powerlifting it's better than Press

Take out the entire section about fucking nutrition and calories. Him suggesting that EVERYONE should eat 3000-6500 calories a day is ludicrous. I did SS for 4 months on a calorie deficit and had no stalls on linear progression and lost weight.

you could make it better by replacing it with PPL and rotating exercises regularly

fuck off, brainlet

Attached: ysmSnrl_d.jpg (640x480, 22K)

peak male performance

Attached: 100301_front.jpg (480x640, 130K)

Agree on this, Rippetoe know shit about nutrition. Also, replace power cleans. It's a good exercise, but it's not something that can be taught through a book (and the way he teaches it is wrong). Explosive exercises like that need to be seen in action

make gomad
2gomad

They aren't a meme if you're doing Olypmic Weightlifting or your quads are lagging behind.

Based and gomadpilled

Add a few upper body accessories and some ab work

A.
Squat
Incline Bench
Power Cleans
DB Press
Lat Pulldowns
Leg Curls
Barbell Curl

B.
Deadlift
OHP
Chin Ups
Front Squat
DB Incline Press
DB Row
Hammer Curls

Core work and LISS on rest days

>x is lagging behind
Back squats work quads plenty. Also you can't quantify something "lagging behind". SS isn't an aesthetics program

Cringed and dyelpilled.

Squat 4x4
Bench 1x3
Deadlift 1x1

Squat 3x5
OHP 2x3
Power Cleans 1x3

No cardio, no isolation, GOMAD.
Better?

Change it to one workout 2-3 times a week:

Pushup Progression
Body Row/Chin-up progression
Squat 3x5
Press 3x5
Deadlift 1x5

That is all. Run it till you can’t keep increasing at least 2.5 lbs and then switch to intermediate.

Attached: 0D7B60F9-1559-47D3-A03E-58AAEF6B84BB.png (310x335, 69K)

There's no difference in quad useage in front squats vs back squats. Dumbass.

ss is a meme because of the nutrition part, a newcomer to this area doesn't know anything about lifting, and a calorie is a calorie attitude fucks them up hard.
I fell into the pit, from 180Ibs to 225 Ibs was a bad journey. Did lifts go up, yes but at what cost?
strict diet, 5x5, big but boring, 531, and texas 4day method barely got my ass back to 198, I am still carrying fat because of that stupid program. still need to lose 20 pounds.
For that I hate Rippetoe, and myself for letting him to fool me.

if I wanted to modify ss, I would add 1 or 2 accessory pull/pushes, depending on the day.
and remove the 2nd squat and something else.

No offense but I was smart enough to realize that his calorie suggestion was retarded and did it on a deficit. Why didn't you just do your own thing and at least eat at maintenance?

then you're not doing the program

non-taken.
dude I already told you, I had no idea about lifting, and I was an idiot teenager.
my friend gifted me the book, and I gave it a go.

Okay

That sucks man, I'm sorry that happened. Ten more pounds though and you're good to go

I'm a noob and was going to use Greyskull lp, since it seemed to me that it was basically Starting Strength with common sense. How is Gslp or Fierce 5 vs Starting Strength?

Attached: 1516138873498.jpg (572x303, 144K)

Thanks Bro.
3 more fucking months just 3 more.

do 5x5, basically ss with 2 extra sets.
eat well, don't be a pig.
a calorie is not a calorie
eat smart. sleep well.
any program is good as long as you dedicate.
have I ever mentioned you not to eat like a pig
yes, do not eat like a piggy
in 5-6 months you can hit 1/2/3/4

But remember this is a lifelong journey, you can't just start and quit. it's not a switch.
good luck user!

Everyday a beginner to the gym will ask what program he should do. Jow Forums will usually respond with either Starting Strength or Stronglifts and order them to eat a lot.
A few months will pass and the beginner have stalled and is confused with why he’s not gaining any muscle despite putting so much weight on the bar.

They say he should stick with the program, get a lot of sleep and eat even more food and not to switch programs unless he’s reached “intermediate” lifts or 1/2/3/4. The beginner sticks with it and runs it, while making very little progress.

Here is where the problem actually lays: Starting Strength and Stronglifts does not actually build muscle, both of these programs are based(ripoff) on Bill Starr’s 5×5 that was made for off-season football players that wanted to get their numbers back up in the weight room with as little work as possible.
That is also the case as a beginner. With these programs you’re not actually getting stronger, just adapting to the training, becoming more efficient at moving the bar and getting the central nervous system to handle the work load.

Attached: 1561767671258.png (926x460, 732K)

>5x5

Please stop with this fucking pasta, you fucking faggot

It really troubles me when a bunch of fat guys such as some of those on the SS forums proud of being shockingly out of condition feel they are qualified to advise people on weight loss and body recomposition and “call out” anyone who does things a little differently and succeed, looking for evidence of their “failure”.

I don’t know if the SStards realize the implications of telling a light framed skinny-fat guy to go and get 15-20kg fatter in exchange for a < 5kg muscle gain. I'm talking blood sugar problems, further hormonal issues, etc.
Most of those guys don't give a damn about bloodwork or health. Plenty of them will have ceased lifting by 40 years of age through injury.

Linear progressions take so many forms.
To me, progression encompasses so many things:

– more reps
– more sets (don't go mad and jump from 2 to 10 sets per exercise next session, though!)
– better *quality* reps by feeling the muscles working more
– increased TUT per set
– same weight/reps/sets but shorter resting periods
– etc…

Weight on a bar is just one way to go about things and the easiest in the early weeks, even if in a caloric deficit.

But it comes to an end and there's no reason to push yourself towards injury or obesity when your goal is to look better shirtless and optimise health + hormones + nutrient uptake/partitioning.

Groups on the internet, such as the SS forums, have probably left untold amounts of guys disappointed with how they've looked after 3-12 months.
Meanwhile, the "bro" who goes to the gym and does curls, bench, shoulders and a few chin-ups and leg presses totally blows the SS "student" out of the water, getting bigger arms, shoulders, pecs and upper back without that much weight gain.

Thus trashing the SS mantra of people being unable to induce significant localised hypertrophy, which skinny fat guys benefit from aesthetically.

Attached: 1561769577224.jpg (480x679, 148K)

look at this retarded dyel lmao

>literally spitting muscle magazine bullshit

I allowed myself to fall into the trap of the whole “eat big to get big” dogma, whilst doing a pathetically low volume of lifting such as that found in 3×5 programs, I do feel that others (especially very young guys who don’t know any lifters IRL) will continue to get suckered into GOMAD whilst doing routines that last no longer than 20-25 minutes and just make them hate what they see in the mirror.
I know I did. I was fat, injured, still had skinny arms and didn’t lift again for years until more recent times.

Not to mention, those routines just aren’t fun. They’re billed as “simple” but most of them have some elaborate deload process built in once you plateau that you’d never remember unless you did nothing but read that program day and night.

I wouldn’t blame the likes of Mark Rippetoe for this trend (he has made numerous clarifications, and has never presented himself as other than a strength coach) but rather the army of dedicated SStards that present the program as the answer to all problems and denigrate anyone doing things differently with endless pejoratives and e-statting.

They say:

Wanna get jacked? Do SS. Wanna get aesthetic? Do SS. Wanna bodybuild? Do SS. Wanna become CEO of a Fortune 500 company? Do SS.

Only on the internet does this madness exist Only on the internet do people think that squatting and eating a 2000 calorie surplus a day will cut bodyfat, build and sculpt your bicep peak and give you boulder shoulders.

I’ve never known or met anyone IRL who has looked well built and lean who built themselves up using a low volume, low rep, CNS wrecker of a routine.
Plenty have done it with bench presses or inclines, pulldowns/pull-ups, curls, shoulder side raises, rope pushdowns and leg presses though.

I would also add that diamond push-ups are awesome tricep builders, and high rep OHPs blow your shoulders good.

Attached: Starting Strength Progress.png (1200x764, 1.05M)

It's always funnier when you remember that Rip claims the dude is 20% body fat

yeah I think Rippetoe knows he fucked up but is too proud to admit it

The idea is that you can still be in a caloric deficit if you want to lose bodyfat. Similar to what AlphaDestiny is doing right now. He is training for strength (mostly?) and does cardio daily. That's what I am following. I am doing Stronglifts 5x5 with daily high intensity cycling. (plus I walk a lot too)

>– better *quality* reps by feeling the muscles working more

I used to train like this for two years. Didin't see much results. I always kinda felt it was bullshit. In order to do that slow-TUT-holding at the top reps you have to decrease the weight quite a lot. Which makes me believe it makes training inefficient.

>I wouldn’t blame the likes of Mark Rippetoe for this trend (he has made numerous clarifications, and has never presented himself as other than a strength coach) but rather the army of dedicated SStards that present the program as the answer to all problems and denigrate anyone doing things differently with endless pejoratives and e-statting.

To be honest, Mark doesn't advocate for a lot of the shit that SSers say here or on other forums. Nowhere did I find him saying that GOMAD is a good idea (besides very skinny teenagers) or that you have to be on a perma-bulk. He actually said in a podcast that a guy should first lose weight while training if overweight. He is also promoting "general strength and fitness". Yes, he measures the lifting performance in lbs., but that doesn't mean that he will turn every guy fat in order to DL 500. (although I don't know about the fat SS dude that keeps getting posted all around. I don't know much of the story.)

stronglifts.com/results/#gref

replace them with what? SLDL? Rows?

>Just started this for my first program

Did i fuck up?

more like go2emergencyroom

I actually found 5x5 was worse, just remember if you plateau to switch to 3x5

nattyornot.com/how-to-make-the-program-starting-strength-work-for-aesthetics-dont-get-fat/

The example progressions he uses in his books are unrealistic, which makes it hard to ballpark where you are in your own progression. Rippetoe should have enough data by now to clear that up.

It's fine to start with as long as you don't get sucked in to the SS "culture".

Eat according to your goals, if that means losing weight then do that, yes you might stall earlier but that is not a big deal. And gaining weight fast is almost always a bad idea.

If you're not very active outside of the gym you can add some low intensity cardio on off days. I'd look at Barbell Medicine's The Bridge for how to include this. barbellmedicine.com/the-bridge/

And most importantly, when the program stops working move on to an intermediate program. This will be at a different point for everyone, don't be the guy that ends up endlessly resetting and getting fat because you don't think your lifts are good enough to "qualify" as intermediate.

>Stop low bar squatting

ye it makes no sense the dude's a mouth-breather

Fuck, I haven't gotten to that part, but that does explain his physique.

I always LMAO at this threads. Are you really implying that people didn't become strong before SS, SL, Greyskull and other modern dog shit? Look at books like "THE Complete Keys to Progress", "Powerlifting Basics Texas Style", programs like 20 rep squats, Tommy Kono's beginner routine, Arnold Golden 6. Beginners did fullbody workouts with 2-3x8-15 set/rep scheme, they also often trained OHP in the same session with bench press, did curls, did additional shoulder exercises like upright rows and all this in the same session. Forget about SS nonsense.

Attached: 7651_original.jpg (225x225, 7K)

>adding incline bench to a routine with OHP

all you need to add to starting strength to make it great is some form of pull up/chin up and perhaps dips.

he recommends fatties like you to go on a caloric deficit fucktard

Just do Greyskull's LP and add all the accessory work from SS. Problem solved

Nobody's saying nobody got strong before SS, retard. Obviously that's the case. Take two seconds to maybe try and understand where someone's coming from before slapping them with a retarded strawman and assuming that's what they believe. Everyone who lifts agrees: there were people getting strong back in ye old day. But they also did so IN SPITE of them doing a lot of bullshit, that only serve to slow them down. It becomes an argument of efficiency and optimization. How does one get strong while avoiding a bunch of antiquated bullshit that will only seek to slow you down?

Muscles can lag behind and cause lifting problems. A friend I have has weak quads and just takes everything on the glutes with shit technique

What is a good intermediate program? I see tons of beginner programs, but when it comes to switching to an "intermediate" program it's like there's nothing there but Madcow which is shit in it's own way.

Are you kidding? Google intermediate program and you'll probably see TM before Madcow

I'm doing this right now, it's actually a phase 1 of one program

A: Squat, Row, as the third one the BB curl is proposed but I'm doing pull-ups instead
B: Deadlift, Bench, OHP

All for 6x6 with increasing weight from the bar to 100% every set (for example on the bench I go for 20-50-60-70-77.5-85 kg this week) and with pull-ups I just go to failure which in my case is 9-10 reps.

this. was skinnyfat and ate a fuckload to "bulk" ended up getting fat, no surprise i was strong too but it didn't help my sport it made me worse at rugby cos i was fat and couldn't chase the ball. Lifting is great but you have to eat at a cut if you're skinny fat, you're already fat because of your diet and you're also skinny because you're lazy so how do you think a dirty bulk is going to help someone with that mindset. You should always cut unless you're literally a skele. SS is okay for a starting program as it's intended for but no need to follow the diet.

>implying Rippetoe used some rocket science method to create his "efficient and optimized" program
LMAO @ U, retard, he just got common 5x5 program idea and lowered it's volume for MUH SPEED OF PROGRESS

What are your goals?

If you're mostly interested in hypertrophy look into the renaissance periodization templates. If you're aiming for strength you could try barbell medicine's the bridge, and if you like it follow it up with their paid templates or try the free templates from calgary barbell, the strength athlete or brazos valley barbell for example.

There isn't any one best intermediate program so you're just going to have to try things out and see how you respond. If it works well for you keep doing it, if not you'll have to either modify the program or switch to another one.

>ss is a powerlifting program

Post lift progression

Do SS on maintenance calories if you're neither skinny or fat

>3000 calories a day
>a lot
Unless you are legit 5 feet tall you aren’t gonna be able to bulk on less than 3000

Attached: 49980858-CAD9-471D-899E-EA4DC2F4E155.png (399x281, 89K)

It has all of these things

Bros I'm 2 weeks into SS and my left hip and shin hurt when I go down on the squat? is this just a core weakness issue? wat do

Attached: 1477795152547.png (688x578, 32K)

>Back squats work quads plenty. Also you can't quantify something "lagging behind". SS isn't an aesthetics program
High level powerlifting coaches makes assessment on how people execute lifts and then have the athlete train whichever muscle they think is the weak link in the chain. Olympic lifters probably does that as well. If those people do it then its probably legit.

>No offense but I was smart enough to realize that his calorie suggestion was retarded and did it on a deficit.
If you are overweight then he tells you to be in a deficit.

>Why didn't you just do your own thing and at least eat at maintenance?
Probably cus then "if you stall you gotta eat more"

I'm doing SS but adding in some lifts for neglected areas because I care for strength + aesthetics.

Workout A:
Squats 3x5
Bench 3x5 (alternate incline / flat per workout)
Chins / Pullups 3 x to failure
Rear Delts 3x8

Workout B:
Squats 3x5
OHP 3x5
Deadlift 1x5
Dips 3 x to failure

I go 4 times a week

>four times a week
Enjoy overworking yourself

But there is a difference in load. Have you ever seen somebody frontsquatting the same weight he backsquats?

The difference in load doesn't translate to a difference in force needed by your muscles needed to move the weight.

what the fuck even is this meme, msucles break down, muscles build up, you don't magically only get show muscles from doing a certain variant of a lift that recruits all the same muscles you fucking retard.

Am I the only one who finds SS fun? everybody says it's a boring routine but I disagree. Power cleans are fun + you can add arms and lat pulldown (can't do chin ups cause fat as fuck)

Attached: 65874656_10214379117420405_7107668917757149184_n.jpg (720x960, 75K)

There literally isn't a single muscle group that front squats do not work to some extent. Possible GOAT lift

I'm enjoying it

You've probably not got the bar balanced properly

Lower the weight, watch some technique videos and don't progress in weight until you fix it. It's not a race

Fatasses don't need bulk, filthy anime poster

Bench and OHP every session -- LP 3x5 at first, then TM 1x5 intensity and 5x5 volume @ 90% intensity weight, without rest days (ex: A - volume bench, intensity OHP; B - intensity bench, volume OHP)