/run/

Running General

>start running in 2017
>3 months into it I get an inflamed fibula and can't run for 4 months
>start up again after fibula is healed
>inflamed hip flexor after 3 months
>start up 3 months after flexor is healed
>2 months into it my lower back starts hurting 2-3 days after every run, but never during a run
>9 month break because shit never healed

>"okay, this time I'm gonna be really careful"
>1 month in, barely run 6km a week, 70% of runs on grass / trail
>achillies (both) starts hurting at the end of runs and can feel slight pain when walking the day after

might actually just kill myself, this is beyond ridiculous

Attached: Polar-Running-pace-calculator_hero.jpg (1400x515, 119K)

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=5TWzC0KA6uo
jama.jamanetwork.com/article.aspx?articleid=403120
ajs.sagepub.com/content/18/4/379.short
ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/16790540
ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/18550323
ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/9489830
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

running seems like a really shitty fitness hobby, it fucks up your body and joints hardcore long term

Are you sure you're not just a pussy?
Sometimes, specially when I havent run in a while, I feel all sorts of pain and think I'm going to really fuck myself up. I get scared, it feels very serious, so i stretch a little, drop the pace but say fuck it and keep going. Sometimes it lasts a couple of days. But I just keep going. I eventually feel normal. Never actually injured myself, but I know people that would stop right away when facing similar pains.

word bro, just run through the inflamed Achilles, it will be fixed in no time xD

Haven't run since my exams in late may. Going to try and complete my route of 5 k miles ( 8 km ) again, but I will be really slow.

I have a really nice 8 mile (13 km) route planned out but I need to build up to it. Would like to be able to run the 8 miles once a week and the 5 miles twice a week. The 5 miles preferably just under 40 minutes.

Attached: 1559654653502.png (785x847, 309K)

Maybe it’s not as serious as you think. People can be all sorts of hypochondriac.

i've been into sports for nearly 15 year, I can tell the difference between a serious injury brewing and some starting pains

Those aren't injuries you fat retard. Just add more rest time in between your runs or go more slowly. Be patient, you will only slowly things down more by rushing too fast.

>Those aren't injuries
based anti-vaxxer

if you can't run with a consistent 8min/mile pace or better you may as well be walking. Always lol at people who post their 10k time on facebook and it's something ridiculous like 1hr 14 mins.

Now I feel bad because I'm trolling and everyone has to start somewhere but you should push yourself on every run until you reach this standard

I'd be embarrassed to share a 1:14 10k tbqh

posting times and length is almost worthless without posting heartrate data

I run a 10k in around 1 hour, but at 60% of my max HR

I've started to run in the mornings super early, but I also continue to do my routine in the afternoons. I noticed yesterday that my squat was impacted by how tired I was, so will I eventually be able to adapt? I'm just starting out after not running for years so I'm at a slow ass pace for short ass distances

sounds like you probably have some combination of bad running form, weak muscles and not enough rest. do you lift at all? having a strong core and legs go a long way when it comes to running.

i got my running form checked when I got my first injury and it's as good.

what muscles can cause all these different injuries though? is there even a link? I've been training my back, hip flexors and calves, plus stretching and sufficient warmup

I don't lift, and I don't feel like I'm training too much... this last month I've run 26km and my achilles are still hurting in what feels like another inflammation case

also, I've tried 3 different pair of shoes

How bad is 5 km in an hour

That's pretty fast if you're crawling.

lmao do you have leprosy or something

5km/h is normal walking pace for most normal people

core is probably the most important muscle group to train for running. if you have a weak core, your form will start to break down over the course of your run which can lead to injury. you can do things like plank, leg raises, ab wheel, etc to specifically target core muscles, but big compound lifts like squats, deadlifts, and standing ohp will do a lot for core stability as well.

>run
More like running away from gains

5k is a little bit over 3 miles... that's not even a jog.

5k should be 35 min at worst, and that's for absolute beginners with bad cardiovascular health.

sustained running is unnatural hehe

Did my 10k fasted yesterday. Went about as well as you'd expect lol completely out of energy by about 7km and basically had to walk the last 3k, legs felt like lead. Took 1:10 to finish which isn't too horrible for how bad I felt but im glad I was able to complete it anyway.

started running about two months ago after moving to the suburbs. managed six miles of hilly terrain in about 55 minutes this morning. i know that is pretty slow, but it feels good to be able to just go that long. it has also been nice to see more of my neighborhood/town on foot. going to start mixing it up with some interval training to boost my speed and maybe sign up for a 10k later this year.

Yea better pick up powerlifting bro

You must have been quite fast for the first 7 of you walked the last 3 and still did it in 70 minutes.

>start working out
>run mile warmup on trail before leg day, 3 days a week
>”hey this is pretty fun”
>plateau around 7:50
>start running an extra mile on Saturday when I have the time
>drop 40 seconds after the first week to 17:40
I know my times are pretty mediocre and my distances short but damn it feels great seeing any good results.

I do fasted running sometimes. I find it harder to get started, those first 20 minutes are pure agony, afterwards I'm barely moving but it's whatever.
Coffee is a huge help for this kind of shit.

might be time to take up swimming user

Ye my pace was extremely inconsistent probably part of the reason I was gassed so early on. Gonna do my next fasted run only 6k

>used to run a lot
>start developing pain in my ankles
>eventually gets to the point where I can't run more than half a mile without serious pain
>realize it's because i'm a weak DYEL, and I had underdeveloped hip abductors
>start going to the gym, go super hard on legs and hips
>start running again, now 0 pain, and my joints feel perfect
>mfw
Feels so fucking good to be able to run again bros

Attached: comfy.jpg (1280x720, 143K)

I thought 10 min mile is good..............................................................

How important is rest if you're just starting to run. I plan to run MWF and I am doing couch to 5k. I ran yesterday but I don't feel too sore today do you think I should run

Hey running guys, can I ask your advice?
Ever since I ballooned up in early middle school, running causes horrendous pain in the tops of my feet and my ankles.
My cardio wasn't that bad (I was in marching band throughout high school), but running would kick my ass every time because it just hurt so bad. I thought it was normal and I was just a pussy.
I'm working on my cardio using machines and getting a lot better, but I want that to transfer into real world ability.
Do I need to just wait until I lose more weight? Or is there something else I can do?
SW: 275
CW: 198
GW: 140

>this last month I've run 26km
So less than a km per day. Lol I'm a beginner and I still hit 18-20km per week.

way to miss the point

Fellow fat bro here. I started running when I was 220 and never felt excruciating pain. Like I did feel pain but it was never enough for me to reconsider running in my next workout.
I tried to be mindful of the surfaces I ran on though. For a lot of my running, I stick with the rubberized track that my local high school has. I figured it's better for your joints than running on concrete. The same can be said about running on dirt trails, grass, etc. Though you can risk spraining an ankle on some dirt trails.
Only other advice I can give is maybe go to a running shoe store and have them check out your form. They can recommend some shoes based on your form. The science behind that isn't 100% though so it all depends. The last advice I was given when I went to get shoes was just buy what feels comfortable.

don't run on consecutive days, especially if you're just starting out. lift or do a lower impact cardio like swimming or cycling on your non running days.

I'm same. Recently my Achilles was tender as fuck but dropped pace and ensured my calves were engaging, got a little better every run and was fine after a week. Not sure if people are pussies or I'm doing permanent damage

Attached: B1509002-92B8-4FD4-9EB6-B7F66D3C7844-820-0000009F04C5BF92.png (965x636, 94K)

Fellow runner here. If you've got that much weight to go then I would be very careful and very slow about getting into running.

Top-of-feet and ankle pain sounds like a combination of weak and stressed ankles and calves. Look up exercises to strengthen those muscles.

I wouldn't even bother with anything like running interval workouts or threshold workouts. Maybe some sprints every now and then, but if in doubt just run slow.

Thankfully you can already get in a lot of work in just by running slow. If you run, I see no reason why you should go at any pace other than a slow, conversational pace. If you're struggling to hold a conversation or even get out a single complete sentence, slow it down. You'll feel like you're not getting a lot done but your body is already getting a hell of a workout just from running slow - don't ever underestimate how much stress running can put on your body even at a slow pace.

In your case, you may actually benefit from running even slower than that since your general aerobic fitness sounds like its pretty good but your running-specific fitness isn't that great. This happens all the times with runners getting back from injuries - we'll get hurt, take time off and do a bunch of cross training in the meanwhile, come back feeling great because we're still feeling fit, and then get re-injured because we felt fit and ran too fast too soon.

Congrats on the weight loss and good luck.

>don't run on consecutive days
Terrible advice, how are you going to get your weekly mileage up running 3 days a week

If I run I'm fine,but when I start to jog my right knee hurts.help me fit

>how are you going to get your weekly mileage up running 3 days a week
by running more each week than you did the previous week and getting adequate rest/recovery time in between runs. on the other hand, you could run every day, overstress your body, get injured and turn your weekly mileage to zero.

Extremely important. If you're starting out and are following a plan like C25K, I would stick to the plan even if you feel like you could do more.

The risk just isn't worth it. Yeah, you feel great, but your body deep down is still probably recovering from what you were doing. Your fitness won't suffer if you stick to the plan, and it also won't suffer if you take a day off here and there if you're hurting. But your fitness will suffer for god-know-how-long if you get hurt from trying to do too much.

One of the best pieces of advices I've ever heard is that recovery IS part of your training. Legendary coach Jack Daniels goes into the importance of recovery here: youtube.com/watch?v=5TWzC0KA6uo

What are you weighting ? I'll assume you're a fat fuck. Take it slow and start with short distances with proper warm up and stretching after running

Thanks! I guess I'll just keep at it until I lose more. The pain started probably when I was about 200-210 so I guess I gotta go even further past that.

sup guys, i'm trying to slowly increase my training volume to ~60km a week by following pfitzinger's 10k training schedule

No, I'm 184 cm and 72 kgs

and this is my last month, 70% of those runs on grass

Attached: Capture.jpg (928x783, 35K)

I'm a pretty regular distance runner (~40 miles a week) and have been getting on and off achilles pain for the past couple years. It's gotten so bad that I could take a whole month off running and still get pain when trying to jog again. My mum actually recommended some $70 compression sleeve for my ankle, so I got one and just wore it every night for a few days, and after that I haven't had any pain at all.

Attached: sock.jpg (453x679, 64K)

No running on consecutive days is fine for complete beginners. C25Kers are probably a long way away from even thinking about running every day without risking injury.

Have you tried getting new shoes? I was increasing my milage significantly in shoes that didn't have much heel to toe drop, and got mild achilles tendinitis and had to take some time off. I switched to shoes with more heel to toe drop / better fit and it resolved within a few runs.

>mfw it takes me about 50 mins to run a 5k

Attached: 1562118374776.png (279x327, 136K)

You're a beginner runner who has only been running for two years, probably started off too fast and too far, and you (probably) don't do any strength training.

How fast are you trying to run? If you say anything faster than 9-minute/mile pace you're almost surely going too fast.

Take diatomaceous earth, hydrolized collagen, and Vitamin K2 + Magnesium + D3.
Then start running and work your way up slowly.
That's how you build up the connective tissues so you no longer have joint problems.

none of these injuries have been joint

Running is garbage, normie-tier cardio

Seriously who the fuck runs when there are tons of other options

>Stairmaster
>Rowing
>Swimming

None of which fuck up your joints

post RHR and cholesterol with timestamp

Runners run because they like to user. it's not just a means to an end (cardio workout), it's an activity to do for enjoyment. If you know, you know.

Buy running shoes retard holy shit, brooksrunning.com

Attached: CB99F2BE-210D-4784-AE07-19AA6C55AAF1.jpg (737x737, 271K)

because it feels good to run fast while being outside and getting mires from passersby

cardio on machines in a gym is boring as fuck and just ends up with you soaked in sweat

>runs 6:26 mile with 5 months of training

Well ganbatte I guess

Brooks is cool cuz they have a 90 day return period if you're not satisfied with the shoes.

I'm finally getting back to running. I have this weird issue where my knee will just all of a sudden get sore and I can't put pressure on it. Whenever I bend my leg back it hurts but only for a day or so then it heals. It might because I fell off my bike one time and smashed my knee up but I didn't think I broke anything but that's the only thing I can think of.
So I'm only doing 10 minutes twice a week very easy to get the strength back. I'm still kinda sore after I run but it's been years since I've run. Plus I don't wanna aggravate my knee again.

Eventual goal is sub 7 mile and then go down from there. All these cigs I smoke aren't helping me tho. Trying to quit, harder than I though it'd be.

>Want to swim as a hobby
>Realize I haven't swam since I was 11 and can't remember how I did it
>mfw imagining drowning
is this shit like riding a bike or am I for sure about to die and be ridiculed by the four elderly couples who still read the local paper?
Should I retake lessons?

Attached: 511EBFE8-23E9-44F8-9DDB-232BD089D1E4.gif (276x260, 1.08M)

is it even possible to be unsatisfied?
they're working some black magic over there
maybe it's just what happens when you don't use literal slave labor to assemble shoes
>Founded by John Brooks Goldenberg
(((Hmmm)))

every damn thread

Attached: 38e.png (238x276, 90K)

how much distance? maybe it's a matter of taking time off, find a good physio therapist. i did and it's a godsend

Attached: Rina Toeda.jpg (1080x1346, 82K)

In case it has not already been brought up:

jama.jamanetwork.com/article.aspx?articleid=403120
>We did not find an increased prevalence of osteoarthritis among the runners. Our observations suggest, within the limits of our study, that long-duration, high-mileage running need not be associated with premature degenerative joint disease in the lower extremities.

ajs.sagepub.com/content/18/4/379.short
>a lifetime of long distance running at mileage levels comparable to those of recreational runners today is not associated with premature osteoarthrosis in the joints of the lower extremities

ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/16790540
>Long-distance running might even have a protective effect against joint degeneration

ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/18550323
>Long-distance running among healthy older individuals was not associated with accelerated radiographic OA. These data raise the possibility that severe OA may not be more common among runners.

ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/9489830
>The presence of radiographic hip OA and the progression of radiographic knee OA was similar for older runners and nonrunners.