Why does anyone follow fad diets that don't work rather than just CICO?

Why does anyone follow fad diets that don't work rather than just CICO?

Attached: 1558823265928.png (1280x1812, 1.08M)

Other urls found in this thread:

youtu.be/zcMBm-UVdII
youtube.com/watch?v=K853GykeGH0
cnn.com/2010/HEALTH/11/08/twinkie.diet.professor/index.html
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

Because everyone wants a shortcut and they don't want to put in the effort.

But doing something that doesn't work isn't a shortcut at all, it just makes the entire process longer because you're wasting your time

People will believe some stupid shit because some person on the Internet told them it worked for them.

People also get frustrated when they realize that good nutrition and exercise will only get them to shed a few pounds a week. They want instant results.

Some people are weak.
They don’t face their problems seriously and just keep fucking up until they die

But why do people do this only with fitness? Nobody does this with anything else hard in life. People accept that if you want to become a doctor, you have to go to medical school and do what's necessary; they don't try to find some 'cheat.' If people can apply logic to other situations, why do they treat fitness differently?

How does his skin look so damn good?

>People accept that if you want to become a doctor, you have to go to medical school and do what's necessary; they don't try to find some 'cheat.'
So i take it you’ve never heard of chiropractic medicine?

You underestimate the levels of cheating that occur outside of fitness.

Because medical school and college works in (((their))) favor, but allowing people to think you can overcome genetics and habits without someone else's help doesn't (consumerism)

It's not just fitness, though. When it comes to medicine, some people believe in some whacky shit like holistic medicine and spiritual healing nonsense. Also look at religion, cults, politics, etc.

If you tell people what they want to hear they gobble it up.

makeup

CICO is unsustainable long term if your even a tiny bit insulin resistant since you'll always feel like pure shit and eventually cave. For any Diet to work you have to keep it up for as long as you don't want to be a fat ass. CICO has been debunked a long time ago, since it ignores the hormonal response certain foods cause while falsely pretending the human body is a combustion calirometer.

Cope more fatass.

ridiculous response, you are simply not disciplined

I think people gravitate towards diets that have an appealing narrative/way of explaining it:

Paleo appeals to people because it feels "natural" and like they're somehow getting back to their roots.

Keto appeals to people because they get to binge on bacon and cheese, so they don't feel like they are truly on a diet.

Vegans feel a sense of superiority and fucking love to post pictures of their macros and be like hOw dO yOu gEt uR pRoTeIn even though literally noone has ever actually asked them that.

CICO is just much less exciting, therefore it is harder to adhere to.

>only with fitness

Get rich quick schemes like pyramid schemes only work because people are lazy and want to buy into something that will give them something for essentially nothing. In tech, people really believe that they can take a 3-week coding camp and come out the other side with a 100k+ salary. In love, some men buy books about "pickup methods" or whatever, and think that they'll get the keys to all the pussy they want.

CICO isn't debunked. It’s a model that works. You could argue that its incomplete and overly simple but it’s true none the less. Do you think Newtonion physics is “debunked” because it didn't account for relativity?

Because people objectively measure, on themselves, how "healthy" something is. They just go on the basis of what feels best.
Now what happens if someone starts a fad diet, and they do really feel better for some time, but they attribute to the diet that fulfillment which could actually come from a million other things in life. You could have exercised, gotten good news, just woken up in generally a good mood, etc., etc.
You can't measure the impact of a specific diet on overall wellness because you can't hold /all/ other parts of your life constant just to study the impacts of the diet alone.
Every good thing that comes from a fad diet is most likely from something else in your life.

you can make word salad, but cant eat real salad. what a shame

is the wide ab crack aesthethic?

why change your lifestyle when it's just easier to change your diet?

The number of people who join pyramid schemes is a lot lower than the number of people who do fad diets though. They only appeal to the dumbest 2% or 3% of the population; fad diets appeal to the majority of the population

Did this man forget his shirt and pants?

Try eating your maintenance calories from candy only while using viatamins to hit micros and whey for protein. That is CICO logic.

youtu.be/zcMBm-UVdII

people want to believe fad diets work so they do them.

who says i’m not doing CICO in conjunction with said “fad” diets?

>no one does this with anything hard in life
Yeah plenty of people take the easy way with lots of shit.

They're terrible with money and don't price compare even though the savings far exceed the time costs.

They pay all sorts of money for education and then try to get out of learning as much as possible by skipping class, not doing the reading, buying test prep books and otherwise trying to slack.

If you give people manuals for something expensive or something they have to set up, they'll ignore most of the instructions, set p something shitty and then get frustrated and blame the product.

It's not that people only do this with fitness, it's just that fitness presents are especially visible goal with objective steps so it's really OBVIOUS when people are doing shit wrong. With a lot of other shit people cut corners but it's just not obvious they're cutting corners and often they can get away with it

Good goiym!

Keep eating addictive sugar, inflammatory breads and other foods that spike your insulin, it's all perfectly fine to have as much as you want as long as you stay under the arbitrary amount of heat released if that food were lit on fire to heat 1 gram of water 1 degree C. Fad diets like keto are anti-Semitic.

Is this body attainable natty at 6’0?

he's 6' 1.5"

You sure about that? If nobody fell for that shit, they wouldn't continue to exist, and shit like this would never take off: youtube.com/watch?v=K853GykeGH0

Maybe people make fewer pyramid schemes to fewer people are exposed to them, but the same kinds of people go for both kinds of shitty shortcuts.

CICO is just another fad diet. It's literally eating the same garbage people eat on the Standard American Diet but just in smaller amounts to stay under an arbitrary calorie limit. Glad to see it finally start to die out.

You're stupid as fuck. Just stop eating you fat fuck. You don't need to eat fucking 6 meals per day. Eat 1 or 2 large meals consisting of WHOLE NON-PROCESSED FOODS preferably within a short time frame. This will help with insulin resistance as well as allow you to feel satiated from the volume of food you can eat at once. If you can't discipline yourself then you'll always be a fat ugly piece of shit. Weigh every gram of food you eat and track every single thing you put in your mouth. If you do these things and you're still not losing weight then you're a lying, sneak eating lard ass.

>CICO is debunked
Nice bait.

That's a very extreme way of putting it but yeah sugar does affect hormones drastically. Ultimately, thermodynamics still applies.

Are you retarded?

CICO has nothing to say about the type of food dipshit, thanks for proving the point.

CICO isn't a diet. It's a way to measure your weight gain or weight loss. You still need to eat healthy. Your just an idiot.

I challenge anyone who thinks it's just about the calories to lose 10 kg of fat while eating only high fructose corn syrup at a calorie deficit.
Pro tip: you won't.

Because people have been let down by CICO since they've been told to eat small meals throughout the day high in carbs

I didn't say nobody, I said not many. 3% of the population of the US is still more than 10 million people, but that's not many compared to the number of people who fall for fad diets.

>CICO has been debunked

Hey ladies, math has officially been debunked. Good to know.

I repeat my challenge: lose fat while only eating high fructose corn syrup at a calorie deficit.
Go ahead, see what happens.

why cant my biceps go that far down my arm

this shit aint fucking fair

He'd lose weight lol. Retard

That's why he's a model and you're posting on Jow Forums.

CICO is coka cola propaganda

do it then, retard.
If you really don't know why it won't work and you aren't just baiting then you are the perfect example of a Dunning–Kruger idiot.
I repeat: do the fucking experiment if you are so smart, don't forget to put it on youtube.

I'm not autistic and don't need to lose fat, so I won't do that, thanks. But if you actually did that at a noticeable calorie deficit, you would still lose weight.

Find me legit studies that refute that. The burden of proof against BASIC NUTRITION and MATH is on YOU here. You're spouting out how CICO has been "debunked" without linking anything beyond broscience on YouTube.

Anywhere I find info about CICO being "debunked," I see bullshit about "starvation mode" causing fat retention or gain (KEK) or "muh insulin spikes!! carbs immediately become fat!!!"

The reason CICO doesn't "work" is that 1) people don't sit down and do the math 2) people lie to themselves. Any time a friend of mine has EVER claimed they truly "can't" lose weight, even when they are "barely eating," I ask them to actually track their food for several days. Lo and behold, they are eating over their maintenance calories.

Same thing for absolute skellies. There was just a thread a few days ago with someone who swore he "couldn't gain weight" no matter how much he ate, and posted his diet. I asked him to calculate his #s. He was eating at a deficit.

I guarantee you anyone who says CICO is "debunked" because "omg I only ate Twinkies at a caloric deficit and still gained weight, muh insulin!!!" is not eating a fucking deficit.

I promise you that if you only eat two Twinkies per day, you will quickly lose weight. Even before I got into nutrition/health/fitness, I easily lost 20lbs just by intuitively going on a big deficit, even though the food I was still eating was garbage. It's fucking math and willpower dude.

Dunning–Kruger confirmed. Go read about hormones.

I actually lift and care about my progress. I don't care if you're retarded

Ijjust don't "Diet"
at my Uni all I do is eat a burger and a salad

you couldn't even provide an actual source. Do so or get titled you cro magnon

> insulin resistant
nothing like a classic "muh genetics"

Attached: 1556693413717.jpg (486x500, 50K)

post body

You're right, I'm confirming MY incompetence while you're winning the fight against basic nutrition, science, and math without a single credible source in sight.

its easier to risk your long term health than your short term money

the fact you even ask for sources proves Dunning-Kruger, otherwise you'd know why I insist on high fructose corn syrup.
Since you don't even know what you don't know you can't google it, lmao.

DISCLAIMER: I am not a doctor and anyone who wants to attempt the experiment I suggested should first consult a doctor.

Can someone tell me what "CICO" is. Aren't all caloric defects, the only way to lose weight, calories in less than calories out?

I will willingly eat crow if you LINK ME LEGITIMATE FUCKING STUDIES. Asking for studies isn't proof of being incompetent; it's proof of being willing to expand my mind with the proper evidence. Jesus Christ.

I'm not taking the time to research something that you claim to have "proof" of yet won't provide. Obviously everyone knows Americans are addicted to high fructose fucking corn syrup. The fact remains (and it will remain until you show me otherwise): if I consume 1500 calories of high fructose corn syrup and my maintenance is 2000 calories, I will lose weight.

All I've seen you refute this with is how people will "cave," which does not disprove CICO or math.

i'm not even going to read this garbage post, I can tell it reeks of delusion. Save me your amen choir

We like shiny things, and we're programmed to automatically take the easiest route by default.
Plus the way media and the world works now makes everything fucking liquid and confusing.

Lots of airbrush lots of make up but also good genes good diet lots of water.

Fuck these fags I agree with you. There’s a while lot more to it than cals in cals out

like I said, you don't even know what you don't know otherwise you'd know that this experiment isn't designed to show that calories magically disappear. It's designed to show that people who argue against this lack knowledge about hormones.
If you knew what am i talking about you'd know that you can lose weight eating high fructose corn syrup in theory, but in reality it would be too agonizing to do so. And depending on your liver health it could even kill you.

If your arguments are

>muh hormones
>muh liver
>agonizing

Then you still haven't disproven CICO aka MATH. The question is:

Does consuming fewer calories than you expend result in weight loss?

And the answer is yes.

The question was never: "Is eating only high fructose corn syrup a sustainable/realistic CICO diet?"

If you can only "debunk" CICO through some theoretical "only high fructose corn syrup diet" that no one would actually do, then you haven't debunked anything. Would that diet be agonizing and horrible for your overall health? Yes. Would it still result in weight loss if you ate under maintenance, despite the agony you would need to endure? Yes. You still haven't proven otherwise.

Anyone who eats under maintenance will lose weight. Whether or not they can power through it is a different question. Not my problem if the foods they choose to eat kill them or make it difficult to endure, kek.

Also, unless you post body with timestamp, you are definitely a coping fat fuck.

I often go to bed hungry if I've already consumed my calories for the day, even if it pains me. You should try it sometime.

I agree. There's a lot of exceptions CICO makes in order for the statement to be true, and these exceptions are often not mentioned or really thought out.

I use IF and CICO together. By recognizing that hunger is stimulated by hormones that can be hyper excited by certain foods, I stay away from refined carbs as much as possible because it spikes insulin and stimulates my body to crave food when it's not hungry. By restricting my eating times to a 4 hr eating window, I'm less prone to CICO calculation errors and more in control of the nutrition in the only meal I'm going to be eating for the day. I choose protein for work out recovery and complex carbs for satiety. HOWEVER. cico alone means that I can eat 1.1k of burger King for the day and not gain any more or less weight than 1.1k of a nice and balanced nutritional meal. This is obviously true from a mathematical stand point, but the problem with using CICO by itself is that it disregards the nutritional value of food and hormones involved with controlling hunger and satiety. That is why cico + [insert diet here] is a more sensible approach to thinking of how to eat.

Seriously stop it. You keep on spaming your shit ideals in every thread. You're making all keto people look more retarded than they already do.
>t. Keto-fag.

CICO is literally for people too stupid too understand anything on a nutrition label other than calories.

You gotta get those micronutrients to get "toned", right dyel?

based
>I must find some easy system that holds the key

You people forget about that professor that gained weight and then purposefully lost it eating literally only doritos and twinkies to prove the CICO is king for weight loss. Not necessarily long term health mind you, but for weight loss.

for anyone who is interested or forgot
cnn.com/2010/HEALTH/11/08/twinkie.diet.professor/index.html

The thing is, CICO doesn't account for the fact that I sometimes shit out whole pieces of cashews and almonds.

lel the best part is his HDL went up, LDL went down, and triglycerides went down even when eating actual shit food

everyone in this thread is a weak bitch with no willpower
>All you have to do is /fast/ 24s 48s 72s depending on your bodyfat and refeed on 500 calories
>take your electrolytes so you can exercise
>do steady state cardio the whole day
>take ice baths for 15mins or cold baths for 1 hour for thermoneogenesis (burns 750Kcal)
STOP FUCKING EATING FATTY!

Attached: ok son.jpg (1600x1066, 313K)

I think you are the stupidest person I have ever encountered on this entire site and I used to talk we commies on Jow Forums

Read the recent papers on calorie deficit diets, you will see why you shouldn't do those.

Where can I read them?

Adding that I’m genuinely curious because I want to succeed and right now all I’m doing is CICO but “I’m eating at a deficit and not losing weight!” So I want to know if it’s something physiological or psychological. Right now I’m just not eating at all lmao whether or not CICO works fasting always will.

I think it’s easier for people to follow an all-or-nothing approach than moderation. You can either have one cookie in a box of 20 and be tempted all day, or not buy them at all (keto) or eat them all (gluttony)

if you're losing weight then of course you're doing CICO
doesn't mean it's smart

BASED. That'a what I think whenever I see people posting meme diets here

This.

Because nobody really cares about fitness. They feel like they should maaaybe care, but if being fit takes effort, well, whatever. It's easier to delude yourself into thinking fat isn't a handicap. (You don't usually think of humans as rational beings, but if you realize that we're optimizing for comfort and that your brain considers self-delusion an acceptable strategy, you'll see that we are.)

Attached: 1559375920229.png (736x629, 266K)

What makes you think CICO works?

Most people who try to lose weight with CICO will fail just as hard and fast as with fad diets.

Fad diets work just as well as CICO if you stick with them because 99% of them are just CICO in disguise. The problem was never the diet and it's rarely even the person's """motivation""". The problem is societal. Food is shit, cheap, and prevalent. Of course everyone's fucking fat and of course nobody can lose weight.

If you're actually interested in health outcomes for people and aren't just looking for soft (heh) targets to beat up on you need a solution that goes a little deeper than CICO. So far nobody's quite found it yet. But 99% of Jow Forums doesn't care about health outcomes for people. They just want the endorphins that get released when you engage in desirable social behaviour - in this case, reinforcing your position in and publicly demonstrating your loyalty to the in-group by kicking the out-group.

Human social behaviour disgusts me more than fatties ever will, but starvation cures them both. Kim Jong Il did nothing wrong.

No fucking shit you brain dead retard. If you need someone to tell you that grass fed beef and sweet potatoes are better for you than pizza and donuts then you're a fucking idiot to begin with.

>Eat 100Cal of HFCS every day.
>Lose 10Kg in 2 weeks
Wow what's so hard about this? Dumb fuck.

CICO does not say anything about eating multiple small meals per day and the only people "let down" are fat fucks with no self control you idiot.

Stop fucking eating you fat ugly fuck. Stop blaming the world for your lack of discipline just because you can't stop eating cake and donuts you disgusting pig.

Hormones don't cause energy or matter to be created from nothing you dumb fucking fatass retard.

The levels of cope coming from this food addicted retard are on a whole different level.
>Agonizing
Eating smaller amounts of food than you'd regularly consume is "agonizing" LMAO
P O S T B O D Y

Well said Cole.

No brainlet, the 'while lot more' is covered under the CO part of the equation. You can't create energy from nothing.

Attached: 1553673384334.jpg (960x953, 47K)

Fasting is CICO and it works extremely well.

you just admitted you're wrong

Heh, breakfast. Never eat it myself.

But then I guess you guys are still taking the "blue pill" when it comes to nutrition. I bet most of you still follow the "food pyramid" too, and think "whole grains" are healthy.

Me? Well, I eat high protein, and practice intermittent fasting. You've probably never heard of it. Only eat between 11am and 7pm each day. Yep, just 8 hours. How you ask? Mental toughness and discipline.

"Most important meal of the day!" I hear you fatties cry. Heh. Using intermittent fasting, I maintain a low bodyfat year round. Did you know that eating carbs spikes your insulin which makes you store body fat? But dietary fat doesn't become body fat and actually makes you burn more fat. I don't expect you to be able to handle this.

Well, I'll be over here making gains and staying lean. If you're ready to take the red pill, I suggest you start by googling paleo, or keto. Prepare to have your minds blown, normies.

Keto only works because of CICO.

Keto would be bad if it doesn't follow CICO. If you are 150 lbs and 6'0, then if you eat more on keto will you gain weight. If the answer is no, then keto would be bad for you.