Whats a respectable number of Pull ups?

Whats a respectable number of Pull ups?

Attached: pullups.jpg (500x375, 22K)

Other urls found in this thread:

50pullups.com/
fitness.marines.mil/Portals/211/Docs/PFT_CFT/PFT_CFT Standards/Table 2-2 Hybrid Pull-up Push-up Test Scoring Tables.pdf?ver=2019-01-04-154009-413
youtu.be/35Gf5Gmm9Mw?t=541
youtube.com/watch?v=3-mctqnECzw
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

At least 10-15 at once

checked quads

Attached: nash quads 1.jpg (1002x768, 78K)

To failure

This but 15-20. 10-15 is pretty good though. Also check them

All of them

I can do that but I'm only 120lbs, feels like cheating

wide-grip, dead hang pull-ups with full range of motion? Already about 5 is respectable.

>tfw can only do 1 but I can't quite get my chin over the bar

Help. I can do a chin up but i cant quite get the pull up.

Attached: 66721230_410132426277999_1905172682765238272_n.jpg (750x729, 45K)

both good answers. Depends on weight a bit. If you are 6'7 chances are you'll struggle more than a manlet. Pullups are a great measurement of strength/leanness tho.
>It's a bit embarrassing to see big dudes at the gym bench 3 1/2 plates but can't do a couple pullups

Do australian pull ups and pull up negatives

Thanks I will look into those. I suppose I could do those Australian pull ups on a smith machine.

20-23 get all them points

Very based answer. You have to respect that guy who squirms on that last rep and uses every last drop of willpower he has to get it. Thats all that matters at the end of the day. And rest assured that next week he'll get more reps than he did this week.

It quite depends on bodyweight. There's reason why children can do miracles with their body while 100 kg men not quite.

Also many people cheat and do half reps and claim they can do 40

If your arms aren't straight at the bottom at the very least it's not a rep

When I was a kid and did gymnastics and trampolining I could do over 20, but now anything over 10 is a struggle bc I've gained 20kgs of muscle

Should i add pull ups to by split routine instead of chin ups?

Why not do both? If done properly the difference in muscle engagement isn't all that great

>can't do pullups because there's a deadzone at the base where my left arm has zero power

Shit's weird. I'm fine with chin ups

Attached: 1551001671443.jpg (432x463, 31K)

20 pullups for a girl is very impressive, m'lady

I do dl, OHP and leg press with chin ups to finish. (Maybe accessaries)

Bench, rows and squats with chin ups to finish. (Maybe accessaries).

Tried pull ups instead on dl day and my upper back is still sore. Maybe pull ups on bench day? Not sure if i’ve over stimulated the back on the first or its better.

>be weak
>see chad kicking legs to get over bar
>yoooo i been doin pull ups wrong all along

Attached: CE146A61-9CFC-4B1C-80DF-C736E04F13AA.gif (320x180, 1.74M)

Why don't you switch them every week/workout. That or get rings, with them you can turn your arms during the movement so you get pull-up up at the bottom, neutral in the middle, chinup at the top

Not sure i can get rings but i hear ya about mixing it up, keep things fresh cheers.

Cheers lad

To increase pull-up reps place sharpened stakes under you, the pain is a powerful motivator. Just wear a camel back full of food and water.... Strap your ands onto the bar, and do pullups for 24 hours straight over many sharp spikes, you will be shredded like Kali muscle.

Me except the benching 3 1/2 plates part

I can do 15 pullups on a bar, but barely 10 on those weird wide grip things.

This is to all #chinups only fags:
>I was one of you for my whole life (30yrs old)
>can do 10-15 chinups
>only do lat pulldowns as alternative
>fuck it, I tried pullups a month ago
>barely do 2-3 pull ups clean
>strive to improve
>now can do 10-15 pull ups for 3 sets

> tfw 0 pullups

Quads
10-20 if over 160lbs

The only true answer

How important is it to get your head above bar?

I usually just take my face to the bar but that picture he's got his whole head and shoulders above. Also I use a flat bar not that wing grip type in the pic.

At 245lbs bodyweight I couldn't do one, now at 210lbs I can do 10.
Is this good progress for 2 years?

Solely dependent on your bodyweight

Crossfit fags be fags

If chin us not above bar, that's not pullup. You should also fully extend your arms when you go down.

I got up to 20 reps without much of a hassle, My one rep max is BW + 60 kilos, I know this because that's what my gf weighs and I sometimes do them with her attached for that extra /lat strength/. I can also pendlay row 120 kilos for two reps. I seriously don't know how my pull strength is so good, because the most I've ever benched is 100 kilos and the most I've ever OHPd is 60 kilos.

What's a respectable amount of wide grip pull ups for a 86kg / ~190lb guy where I start from a dead hang, strict form, chin above bar and slowish descent back to dead hang?

I can currently easily do 4 sets of 6, keep pushing myself to do at least 8 and struggle to hit 10, but so many people here keep saying they can easily do 15-20+ and I'm becoming genuinely concerned if I'm doing something wrong?

How to further improve pull ups aside from "just keep doing them bro"?

Attached: Weak.png (348x362, 175K)

somebody post the webm

Seconding the quaestion.
Also I can do 5 sets of 5-6 but if I do one set of 10 the next ones are going down to 7-5-4-3-3, is this just a conditioning problem?

FUCK pullups. Been doing it on the gym for a month. Started with negatives but i can only so just ONE just last week. Why tf is it so hard. Im not a fatass either

I would think dips is harder but i got to do 5 after doing negatives for just a week

Lose weight fatty

This one?

Attached: crossfit suicide.webm (720x720, 1.1M)

N+1

That's what happens when you don't engage your back properly on chinups

>do the worm

>Be Skinny fuck all my life
>Start doing some bodyweight training in sportspark with friends at like 16
>can't do a single chin up even with assistance at soaking wet 60kg
>Fastforward few years later after some hiatus and injuries
>Able to do 20 Pullups at 95kg bodyweight

I started doing them sometime after noticing I could do like 3 half good ones and it became my favourite exercise

i can't do mroe than 8

Attached: image_2019_03_07T10_15_39_721Z.png (640x606, 30K)

Majority of these '20 pull ups' are 60 kg twinks or just liars and half reppers.

How?

i weigh 90kg btw

>Whats a respectable number of Pull ups?

Unironically any. People these days are so fat and out of shape pullups are no longer part of army APFT.

>There's reason why children can do miracles with their body while 100 kg men not quite

Yeah, that reason is that children haven't had as much time to ruin their bodies. 100kg men are perfectly capable of doing pullups if their strength is appropriate for their weight.

>I'm becoming genuinely concerned if I'm doing something wrong?

The only person you're comparing yourself to is yesterday's you. Chances are those other guys are full of shit.

>How to further improve pull ups aside from "just keep doing them bro"?

Doing them daily to grease the groove is going to make them easier. Worry about form when just doing them daily, set & rep ranges don't matter if you're just GTG. You're just trying to get nervous system gains by signaling your muscles to pull up more frequently so frequency is king.

On pull days or days when you're seriously doing pull ups do a different but similar exercise for about 3 weeks, such as close grip pull ups or rope climbing. Varying up the exercise is going to force adaptation for size and strength gains. I guarantee you'll at least hit 15 in 6 weeks if you combine GTG and variation.

15 before you start adding weights. I'd still go for weighted chin-ups, for they also target your biceps.

Why do people even do this?

I fucking suck im like 220 and can only do 5ish...

Why not stay at the same weight and decrease his BF%, that way he'll be strong as fuark

It's a minimum effort movement used in gymnastics, to do the muscle up required to even start doing your shit

They took half of a set up and made it into an endurance event.
Like, imagine crossfitters getting on a bicycle, for reps. It's the same thing.

>australian pull ups
so, handstands?

It allows you to get more reps, which is useful for competition. As far as I know, they do regular pullups too when they train strength

Bought one of those door frame baes since i moved to where there is no pull up bar at the play ground
Are those hammer grip pullups worth anything or should i just stick to tradition pullups?

Try switching up how you do the sets. Recently, I've had success with going
1x12, 2x10, 3x8 on one day,
weighted 6x6 another day,
and doing sets of 5 every minute for as long as I can.
This way I improve strength, short-term endurance, and long-term endurance.

>Are those hammer grip pullups worth anything

Easier on the joints, recruit your bis more. close neutral grip hit your lats hard and the closer your grip the more carryover you have to climbing rope. neutral, hammer style pull ups and ring pull ups are my personal favorites.

Thank you for the response

skinnyfat weakling, here. i can't do even that. my plan is i'm going to do stuff on this horizontal pulls tree + curls and grip exercises.
the curls and grip stuff is to help get me to where i can hang for a good amount of time and do eccentric chin-ups.
if i could be bothered going to the gym i'd do it a bit differently but this is my plan with what i have around the house.

Attached: POSTER+FINAL-page-001.jpg (601x1600, 312K)

Attached: hqdefault(5).jpg (480x360, 13K)

Doing many pull-ups is mostly a muscle endurance thing if you train your back with hypertrophy in mind sticking to those lower rep ranges will make your lats/back bigger. three months ago I couldn't do one but I went on vacation for about a month and the only gym equipment I had was the pull up bar in the park so I just kept targeting the pull up only and at the end of the month I was able to do 10 from dead hang but I basically ONLY did pull ups and absolutely nothing else. If I were you I would start switching to weighted pull ups, starting off with a chain or keep adding weight till you can do 5 at most keep doing them till you can do 8 with that weight then add some more.

Hell I do ppl and my second pull day is basically dedicated to do more pull ups

Some user shared this the other day.
50pullups.com/

Been working for me.

chin-up, pull-up or neutral grip?

For me, it's the neutral grip.

Russian Pull Up is where its at. minimum of 15.

Should start adding weight at 10 desu

I can do 10 reps with negative 18 kg at a weight of 69kg (with gym clothes on).
>pic related

Attached: Screenshot_20190720_150529.jpg (1017x1032, 156K)

They probably mean one max effort set. I weigh exactly the same as you and can do around 25 pullups in one set, but if I try a second one after that my body is drained and I struggle to make 8 reps.

>How to further improve pull ups aside from "just keep doing them bro"?
Just keep doing variations of them bro. Paused, weighted, different grips, rings, etc. I'm currently working towards doing them one handed and not very surprisingly it has helped my conventional pull up strength a great deal

Based

Oh yeah? You think you're so witty? And what if you fail at 5? Dumbfuck

Assuming you are in your 20s, 15-20 would put you at the top range of the US Marine fitness chart:

fitness.marines.mil/Portals/211/Docs/PFT_CFT/PFT_CFT Standards/Table 2-2 Hybrid Pull-up Push-up Test Scoring Tables.pdf?ver=2019-01-04-154009-413

I think that's an unreasonably high standard to put on the average person, gym goer or not. I can do 15 at 190 lbs but I never see anyone else at my gym doing pull ups as much as frequently as me.

>Yeah, that reason is that children haven't had as much time to ruin their bodies. 100kg men are perfectly capable of doing pullups if their strength is appropriate for their weight.

Yes but it clearly doesn't scale very well at high body weight. Look at Brian Shaw doing pullups: youtu.be/35Gf5Gmm9Mw?t=541 (starts at around 9:00) You can't say he's not strong for his weight.

>guy in class says he can do 10 more pull-ups than anyone and he’d give 10 bucks to anyone that can do more
>3 guys and a girl including me take him up on the challenge at the closest pull-up bar
>establish what constitutes a rep
>can already see his face darken
>he goes first
>he does 8
>complains that our reps are different from ours
>me and guy 1 end up beating him easily and we split a dirty bulk pizza

>all wearing gloves
gee I wonder why

Man is like 50% body fat. Thats lots of extra weight no matter his strength

Can do 30 full range pull ups at 160 pounds.

At this point I need to get a dip belt and add weight. Doing 400 pull ups every other day is getting to be a slog. I have a vest but its awkward to wear.

>Yes but it clearly doesn't scale very well at high body weight

He can do shitty pullups and he could probably do clean ones if he tried. He'd be weak for his weight if he couldn't even do 1. Even at his weight he can still do pullups, there's no excuse for anyone repping 0.

No he's not, why would you just go on the internet and spew bullshit you know nothing about? youtube.com/watch?v=3-mctqnECzw

3x8 with 25kg added at 81kg bw.

What are exercises that a tall guy is at more of an advantage or disadvantage?

I feel like long armed people (who are also generally taller and weigh more) have to go a lot farther with their arms on pullups and bench press...and barbell rows
But it seems like i get to deadlift a little easier.

Does that play a roll or is in that in my head.

Imagine being me (tested at 97kilo bodyweight), serves me right for neglecting squats and deads

Attached: professionalpullupper.png (375x222, 27K)

Jarheads aren't fit for shit though so not really that high of a standard

>6'1, 78kg
>max bench is 40kg atm, lat pulldown 50kg
>cant do 1 pullup
Its my main goal bros, any other exercises i should incorporate to get there? are deadhangs a good starter?

15 is probably the standard of “good”.
Does anyone have the pic of pepe doing weighted pull ups

More than you did last time. Focus on being better than you are, not on meeting some arbitrary benchmark.

Do isometric hangs at that specific point.

>can do about 5-8 reps of pull-ups at 95kg
>can also do 5 reps of chin-ups plus a 20kg pl8
Just got to keep working at it.

Jus be urself

negative pull ups

Lol, I’m legitimately 6’7” with a 7’ wingspan. Pull-ups are difficult but required for development. Goal is 20 with perfect form, can do 14.

Bench is my nemesis but I can crush deadlifts. My goal before my b-day in Nov is a legit 1/2/3/4, I’m 40 lbs off bench. It’s optimistic but I want to do 2/3/4/5 by the end of 2020.

I may try a cycle next year to get there.