Martial Arts General /MAG/

Martial Arts General. Discuss training, competing, and more.

As a complete beginner in BJJ, am I better off doing gi, nogi, or a combination? Also, is it better to do BJJ on off-days of lifting or can I get away with doing them on the same day?

Attached: dnlps4Z.jpg (840x802, 58K)

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=fogVuhe9DzY
youtube.com/watch?v=UT8QWHp-u7w
youtube.com/watch?v=5nY8uM6ps8A
m.youtube.com/watch?v=nmnNGvJw4YE
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

If you have to pick gi or no gi, I say no gi. It's more practical and you don't have to waste time and money on a gi

Man I miss the threads on asp. They were so comfy. Judo had its own general.

Stop overthinking it, just go there and learn technique without getting injured.

smesh

What's asp?

Great, thanks. And is twice a week 'good enough'? Or am I just wasting my time going twice?

Autistic sports

Boxers or nak muays, do you guys have good tips on how to get inside taller opponents?

I train in muay thai, but I really like using boxing combos to set up my kicks, knees, or elbows. I prefer to drive them back with my hands before finishing with kicks or knees. But I really struggle against taller opponents. I always eat a jab or a cross going in, and when I'm in the pocket, I can't "stick" to them. Then I get hit on disengage because they're longer and I'm not fast enough to get out.

Work on head movement and timing for going in, and don’t try to block or deflect punches too much as you step in as that slows you down and doesn’t let you attack immediately. When disengaging jab whilst stepping back to force your opponent to keep up his guard and not allow him to punch. I just do boxing and no MT, so this might not transfer 100%

>Work on head movement and timing for going in
Do I slip and step in as the punch comes out, or do I "follow" it as it retracts? I have trouble slipping because my timing is shit, and I can't make those ridiculous slips or bob and weave because of the threat of a headkick.

>tfw been doing lots of wrestling/standup in nogi recently

Shit's fun. Wrestling is hard.

bump

not him, but 2x a week is better then 0 but youre not gonna progress very fast. as far as lifting on the same day, I lift on the same day but normally lift before jitz with a couple hours in between

I terms of street self defense gi is better because people tend to where clothes outside and that is always a factor

what do you guys drill? alot of singles and doubles? ever do judo throws? I really try to work takedowns once a week with a judo blackbelt but the lack of standup in bjj kills me

thanks brother. What would you suggest if I want to progress decently fast and git gud at grappling? The gym I'm looking at atm only has nogi twice a week, so if I want to add more grappling, I'll have to look for a different gym or add gi training.
Also, what is the better option lifting-wise, hypertrophy or strength? I'm afraid going heavy too often will impact grappling gains, so I'm considering switching to PHUL-esque training. Any thoughts?
Final question, does shit like cycling impact BJJ gains? I'll likely have to cycle about an hour every workday.

Your bjj gym should have a takedowns class once a week. It is what it is. Bjj is literally groundfighting, so standup gets neglected.

Different dude here- lift heavy as fuck for bjj. Anyone who tells you strength doesn’t matter is a liar or a TMA. Train in the fucking gi you fucking beginner. You need that shit to make your no go game tight. Start w the gi, git gud, and then expand to both. Good luck and have fun.

Drill a bit of everything, judo included. We've been doing more rounds lately. Just wrestle for 2-3 minutes, reset when it goes to the ground. Just try whatever you want and get a lot of time on the feet in. It's fun.

>What would you suggest if I want to progress decently fast and git gud at grappling?
Train more, doesn't even matter that much if it's gi - anything you can do in no gi works in a gi too, even if it's often harder because the fabric acts as a brake pad.

>hypertrophy or strength
Strength, but throw in some isolation light weight high reps for (p)rehab where needed. For example biceps/brachioradialis, rear delts and hamstring work for elbows, shoulders and knees respectively. My weak and out of shape ass still has a ~1000lbs total.
>cycling
Good for cardio. Eat more, rest more, cycle a bit slower if need be, don't worry too much.

Who else here /openmat tomorrow despite the hangover?

I fucking live Sunday open mats but man I fucked up tonight.

Thanks guys. After all the advice, I'm considering doing nogi 1-2x a week, gi 2x a week, and lift 3x a week, SS-style with slower progressions. Is this viable and sustainable?

If you can afford to train in the Gi too then go for it, they both play off eachother well. If your just starting 3/4times a week is perfect for getting good fast, comp. guys do 5-6x but that alot of strain on your body and might injure or burn you out. better to do 3x a week and stay with it then 6/x and quit after 3 months. As for lifting Ive been doing a PHUL split myself, although I'm thinking about a fullbody 3x so I have time to get back into boxing a coupe times a week. cycling should be fine, just listen to your body, take rest days, sleep and eat well, etc. most important thing is to be patient and keep showing the fuck up... unless you wrestled or did judo you're gonna be trash at jitz and confused af for awhile. have fun tho man

i fucked around and stay up for the pac fight and half of the shitty ufc card and woke up too late. im in germany so its impossible to watch the fights live and do an open mat at 9am

yes sounds good, good luck m8

Sustainable if your total intense days per week are six. You will really need a rest day with that kind of output. I would recommend not lifting the same day as jits, you want to be fresh on the mats. Also bjj is going to work muscles you didn’t even know you had, so you’ll wanna rest all those weird stabilizing muscles. If you’re gonna sandbag a day or two you could get away w 7 days a week between jits and lifting, but if you’re gonna go hard make sure you take a rest day.

Sounds like my average Saturday morning no gi/wrestling. Well, about 30% of the time at least.

>sustainable
Go and find out, but keep in mind that
- you'll need time to adapt to this regimen, give it one or two months
- you will not be able to go full blast every session regardlessly, go easy if you feel you have to
- you will have to be doubly careful about injuries due to the workload, especially as a white belt that doesn't know how he can get injured to begin with

Your legs are longer than your arms.
Throw a fast front kick (not a teep), and as you step in jab cross

>Also, what is the better option lifting-wise, hypertrophy or strength?
Strength, run tm

>muh wrestling
>muh grappling
>muh bjj
*BLOCKS YOUR PATH*

Attached: 1563645852800.jpg (1024x682, 30K)

>If you can afford to train in the Gi too then go for it, they both play off eachother well.
They literally don't. If you want to get really good at one then just do one, if you want to be okay at both then do both. People who do both can get good at both, but if you want to get good at one quickly then you need to just do one. The gi makes you over-reliant on gripping and using your hands to manipulate your opponents space and movement. It's really obvious when a person only ever does gi stuff because they're always REALLY sloppy with how they manage your space and their own space. It's like they don't even know jiu-jitsu at that point, like they've skipped the fundamentals because they're used to just doing MOVES before their opponent can. Whenever I roll with a gi guy it's apparent that they're just trying to spam moves and have limited understanding of fundamentals and how to apply them.

Do gi if you're interested specifically in learning the gi game, grips and so on. It's part of the martial art of jiu-jitsu, acknowledging that we aren't always butt-naked when we fight. That said, it will literally only hinder your pure grappling skill, especially in the beginning. Beginners like gi because beginners always want to see that there are lots of different moves that they can learn and that their opponent might be completely oblivious to. They want to suck in as much information as possible, without learning in any serious depth. the no-gi game is predominantly a game of fundamentals, which beginners hate. Above all, beginners just want to grab onto shit, regardless of whether it's the correct thing to do or not. Rather than developing the basics which would allow them to effectively defend opponents' attacks, they cling on (literally) to whatever they can grab in their immediate vicinity. It's a natural, but self-defeating habit. Once you shed the gi you actually learn how to defend using your body.

I have to say I found it rather easy to switch between gi and no gi back when I first started incorporating no gi. Control is control, and if you respect this core principle the rest is suddenly much less relevant.

Slip past it and step in as the arm fully extends. Following the punch can also work if he swung a bit too much and is open for a counter, but it won’t let you get inside his defense and is more something you do when the opportunity presents itself rather than a gameplan.
You don’t even need great timing for slipping, just drill it a lot with a partner. If you can feel out your opponents timing and preferences for how to attack a bit it gets a lot easier too.
Don’t know much about kicking, but you should be able to slip past his punch with a single step, not sure someone can actually kick that fast with the leg of the same side he threw the punch with. Obviously gotta wait for a punch where he actually commits a bit, a light and fast jab that was just meant to test your defense a bit will be hard to get past

Yeah bro, if some dude swings on you in a bar or drunkenly shoves you just stab him, maybe they’ll even let you take the knife with you to prison

Most of the best NoGi guys train a lot in the Gi, but then again it seems logical training NoGi would make you better at NoGi

Dosen't matter anyway, I wear chainmail fags

If you can do 4 you’ll be better off by a long shot but 2+studying some vidya will be sufficient to improve.

My point is that years of martial arts experience would mean nothing when a punk with a knife attacks you.

True. But what's the point of the point you made?

Sure, but you’ll have a better chance than without years of martial arts experience. Of course you should avoid unnecessary fights whenever possible, but if you can’t then knowing how to defend against someone trying to punch you and being able to knock out or submit him is very useful

That's true, but often control in the gi comes in the form of using their clothing against them as the fundamental lever of that control. At the very least, it serves as a reinforcement of the control that comes from using your body. In any case, the control you learn is always going to be looser and less fundamentally sound. This is a simple fact: being without a gi makes it easier to escape control, so learning no-gi makes your control tighter as you learn to counter that.

This is particularly true if you're much heavier than most people. I've rolled with 'purple belts' (and above, but mostly purple) who only got to where they were because they were big and could spam moves with the gi. Once the gi is off they can barely be considered blue belt level.

The only people I've ever met who were good at both were the intelligent guys who understand the importance of fundamentals. Having said that, they would be better at no-gi if they only did no-gi, they just happen to enjoy doing both... which is fine, just be aware that those who only do no-gi will surpass them in pure grappling skill.

I've found that it can also work the other way round, my gi game has regularly given me options that most people don't even consider possible in a no gi environment - it's pretty funny to roll no gi with someone who's not used to wearing a gi and catch them with modified gi chokes for example. Other than that I just rely on body mechanics because these never chance. Nobody moves freely when their spine is out of alignment to put it that way.

> it's pretty funny to roll no gi with someone who's not used to wearing a gi and catch them with modified gi chokes for example
What the fuck are you talking about? It honestly sounds like you're just bullshitting desu.

There's several no gi baseball chokes if you know how to grip them, Armenian necktie (which was a modified Canto choke for me as I learned that first), I recently came up with something apparently known as a handgun choke, there's a few classic Judo te jime variations that work with very tight shoulder control, and sometimes against white or blue belts, for shit and giggles, I use the ridges of the trapezius/shoulder blades to exactly replicate a cross collar choke from mount.

There might be more that I simply don't know.

Those chokes are all super low percentage. That's why you don't see them in serious competition. They're tricks, and tricks are for kids.

I don't understand why you would say that the gi is good for no-gi because you get to learn extremely low percentage chokes that basically only work against white and blue belts (who as we all know are basically retarded). Again, this is the gi person mentality: learn as many moves as humanly possible and hope that your opponent won't recognise them or know how to defend. It only appeals to newbies because they think that more is better, where in fact there are only a few chokes that are actually high percentage IRL. If you watch any of Marcelo Garcia's matches or sparring footage, he literally only uses three chokes (rear-naked, guillotine, north-south).

Sucks that nigger Greg hardy won

I freely admit stuff such as the handgun, te jime modifications and the pure cross chokes are low percentage, but certain baseballs and the necktie are solid, period.

That, and I am personally partial to forcing my partner to make choices after I've established control. If I use the threat of one submission to create an opening for the other one and vice versa, I directly increase my chances. I generally use the same honed pathways to get there, but once I'm at that point I fail to see what's wrong with creativity as long as it doesn't result in loss of control, because the basic pathways leading to this point remain the same biomechanically correct movements. There's roughly four or five submissions that make up 85% of my wins, but control is control, and then there's 14% that are oddball submissions which I will - generally speaking - use when there is no risk of control loss. Finally, there's 1% of actual freak submissions.

Shit, now you guys have me doubting whether to do more gi or more nogi. I think I will like nogi much better because of the more wrestling feel, but the gym I'm considering only offers it twice a week, with more than twice as much gi sessions. Is that a problem or should I consider joining multiple/a different gym?

Don't mind us, just train and show up regularly. No gi twice a week is enough if you have some extra gi classes to go to. You can always practice no gi stuff during gi classes as long as you learn to deal with grips.

Basically, the most important thing is to start training and not stop.

You see a lot of baseball chokes in high-level competition? Again, remember that you're arguing the merits of gi based on the idea that these are really solid chokes that for some reason you need a gi to learn properly.

>That, and I am personally partial to forcing my partner to make choices after I've established control. If I use the threat of one submission to create an opening for the other one and vice versa, I directly increase my chances.
No shit, this is how jiu jitsu works.

I just don't get your point. I know you're not getting (decent) purple belts and above with baseball chokes and shit, unless I'm mistaken and you're secretly really fucking high level with them, but I doubt that.

Just go to your gi class without the gi, or take it off when sparring begins. You can usually do that unless you're at a strict school, usually one of the big chains or something.

Will answer later if I don't forget and the thread is still up, I have BJJ in 30 minutes, grandparents to visit and cats to petsit.

If it's no gi take a video of you baseball choking people

i am not impressed with your performance

Gi class, may have the opportunity to roll no gi depending on who shows up. We'll see.

Attached: Matt-Hughes-e1502731106886.jpg (1244x540, 64K)

Bump

*blocks your path*

Attached: shirt1002.jpg (1000x1000, 252K)

Why is there literally in every martial arts thread the obligatory shitcunt who goes on about "MUH GUNS MUH WEAPONS"?

insecurity

same could be said of a striking art.

What's stopping me from taking it away from you and shoving it up your ass?

Attached: 1520637929104.jpg (236x252, 18K)

What martial arts technique involves slamming your opponents head into the ground?

Attached: 8CED06DC-0CA4-4921-8084-A69EE22363CB.jpg (945x1400, 346K)

A lot of them, can you be more specific?

Any of them similar to the pic I posted? Using one hand to do it?

I thought chainmail was pretty weak to piercing weapons? great for slashing, but if you stab it it gets between the links of the chains and pops whatever is closing the loops

holy fuck finally i found a mma thread. can someone tell me how i find a place to compete? i literally cant find anything for my city

Bump for later

weeb fu

Because they're retards. Self-defence comprises a tiny portion of martial arts. Martial arts are about developing the body, mind and spirit in unison through combat. Almost anyone can avoid getting into a fight for their entire life, and guns make serious unarmed combat somewhat irrelevant. Being dominant has almost entirely revolved around social structures and wealth, rather than being the toughest guy around.

how can you tell this post is made by a purple or higher? you just can.

Cagehunter app

>Not wearing chainmail
Pathetic

Modified(or original depending how you view it) osotogari from judo. But it's not practiced like that in judo cause that kills people.

they fail to realize that combat sports are the opposite of self defense
if you really care about self preservation you wouldn't jump into a ring or cage and risk damage

Combat sports are the only way to find out what works though. Anyone can make up a technique and claims its great for self defense. See krav maga.

what works if both combatants are alone and unarmed, without taking into account ancient wrestling techniques used in swordfights
those who are serious about self defense get weapons and learn how to use them. I practice combat sports because they are fun, I don't pretend I'm gonna jackie-chan a mugger's ass
even a children with a knife is considerable threat

Go watch some k1 and dutch style kickboxing. The dutch style is all about using big punching combos to set up kicks, mixing high and low constantly. Perfecting your lead hand hook is going to be your best bet. Learn to set it up and practice your explosiveness.

How do I control my stomach? After some sparring I always need to shit and shitting earlier doesn't help me much. Wot do?

big guys have strength and distance on their side
you can't make them weaker but you can close in and neutralize the distance advantage
spar a lot with taller opponents, that will help you understand what kind of game you can use and what kind of mistakes they make when facing smaller dudes. watch some of those cross-weight class fights from pride

I really wanna look like this guy

Attached: rumblr-released-today.jpg (700x418, 150K)

Weeb autism aside, I'm fucking sad that I can't practise sumo in Poland. I train wrestling and bjj and I'd fcking LOVE to slam heads in highly ritualised strength contest once in a while.

Attached: (((sumo))).png (875x625, 629K)

They'll be in a situation without their guns at somepoint. Then they'll realize they should have put some time in ma

Fight more, its your nerves. Have to get used to it.

What are some good options for strength routines that I can combine with BJJ? SS is coming to an end, and I want to continue lifting and getting stronger but not impact my grappling too much.

check the Juggernaut Training Systems, CWS trains bjj and it would be weird if they hadn't put out something about it.

How much do I have to weigh and do medical problem effect a person from joining.

>I just don't get your point.
My point would be that, if one respects basic principles, being able to modify and apply gi techniques in a no gi environment can open up novel ways for set-ups and attacks, which in the case of the former more often result in an incorrect response because people may not be familiar with what is happening - or simply not expect it in the case of the latter.

No vids but got in two rounds of no gi, one with a black belt which was mostly trading unsuccesfull sweep and pass attempts with the exception of one footlock, one with a visiting blue belt who was going 105%, caught him with a modified te jime because he didn't see it coming. Crossface, underhooked the near arm and slipped my fist under his spine/shoulders to further immobilize him as he tried to escape, applied the choke with my other arm by dumping my weight on it as I rotated back into the crossface. Dude was fun to roll with, fast and technically very proficient.

Feint like a mother fucker

If I train BJJ 3-4 times a week, mixing gi and nogi, how quickly can I reasonably expect to get a blue belt? Any tips to help me along?

Any practical skill improvements to be had from working with a reflex ball? I'm coming off knee surgery 3 months ago and can't do very much but it serves to kill boredom for me

2 years

Beers with Chad | Training for Combat Athletes with Corey Beasley
youtube.com/watch?v=fogVuhe9DzY

Chad's BJJ Training Overview | JTSstrength.com
youtube.com/watch?v=UT8QWHp-u7w

Dr. Mike Israetel on Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu, Wrestling and MMA
youtube.com/watch?v=5nY8uM6ps8A

>didn't call it "Fighting Arts General /FAG/"
ngmi

There used to be a Facial Aesthetics General, which I think better represents the abbreviation /FAG/

Bump

How do I recognize a McDojo? I want to get into boxing but I don't know which gym around me is the best option

m.youtube.com/watch?v=nmnNGvJw4YE