What do you do if you fail reps on SSLP?

What do you do if you fail reps on SSLP?

Attached: Mark Rippetoe.jpg (1280x720, 88K)

Other urls found in this thread:

startingstrength.com/article/the-reset-why-and-how
barbellmedicine.com/blog/novice-bench-and-press-plug-in/
strongerbyscience.com/being-strong-is-not-an-excuse-to-be-fat-and-being-fat-is-probably-holding-you-back/
idmprogram.com/fasting-and-muscle-mass-fasting-part-14/
nhlbi.nih.gov/health/educational/lose_wt/risk.htm
startingstrength.com/article/wndtp
barbellmedicine.com/blog/584-2/
barbellmedicine.com/blog/the-beginner-prescription/
inbodyusa.com/blogs/inbodyblog/39288577-4-reasons-calipers-fail-to-give-accurate-body-fat-results/
strongerbyscience.com/genetics-and-strength-training-just-different/
tdeecalculator.net/result.php?s=metric&age=25&g=male&cm=175&kg=86&act=1.2&bf=&f=1
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

Drink a gallon of cum

startingstrength.com/article/the-reset-why-and-how

tl;dr You complete your 15 reps for that session even if it means doing a bunch of singles. The next session when you do that lift, you try it again as you usually would. If you fail again, you drop the weight 5-10% and work up again.

If you can't break the plateau after two resets, and your diet and sleep are fine, you move to an intermediate programme for the particular lift you failed on.

Deload to 90% + GOMAD.

He said failed. You dont reward failure

I'm only new though, I've only been working out a few weeks and am way too weak for a deload

If it's not your diet or sleep, the other possibilities are that you're incrementing the weights too quickly or that you're not taking enough time between sets. As you're "only new", you probably don't need 10 minutes of rest, but it can be good as the weights become heavy. Another possible issue is technique, depending on the lift. But I think diet and weight increments are the biggest mistakes n00bs make.

What should my weight increments be?

Do you even google?

>Most healthy men between the ages of 18 and 35 or 40 can add 10 lbs to the squat the first 2-3 times it’s performed, 15-20 lbs to the deadlift the first couple times, and 10 lbs the next several times it’s performed. After that, jumps become 5 lbs per workout. For the press, bench press, and power clean, you may get one 10 lb jump, but you may need to start with 5 lb jumps. Later on, you’ll move to 2.5 lb or smaller jumps for these lifts when 5 lbs becomes too much to add every workout. The pattern is similar for females and older lifters, but with smaller increases. Program modifications for older novices are discussed extensively in The Barbell Prescription: Strength Training for Life After 40.

What happens if I don't have fractional plates?

You remain a weak fag who asks asinine questions on a Nigerian basket weaving forum.

If the problem is that mommy won't buy them for you, I guess the first step is to get a job.

then you buy them you stupid nigger

>If you can't break the plateau after two resets, and your diet and sleep are fine, you move to an intermediate programme for the particular lift you failed on.

like 5/3/1 or AMRAP?

>and your diet and sleep are fine
*and you're incrementing the weights at a sustainable pace

ok if I stall only at ohp what do I do? follow alternative methods like 5/3/1+5x10 or 3x5+ solely for that particular lift?

Yep. Just pick an intermediate programme and do it.

If you're OP and want to continue your linear progression, you could add weights to the bar using magnets. The starting strength book suggests washers too. As long as you can firmly attach the weight to the bar, it'll work.

Attached: 51pNqBOYwGL._SX260_.jpg (260x337, 16K)

If it's just your OHP try lowering the weight and doing 5x5 instead or something like this: barbellmedicine.com/blog/novice-bench-and-press-plug-in/

While on the topic of SS, how does it compare to Greyskull?

I've weighed clips then stacked on clips before for 1.25 lbs micro plate replacements

Come to Jow Forums and make a blog post about how SS is a meme.

>Most healthy men between the ages of 18 and 35 or 40 can add 10 lbs to the squat the first 2-3 times it’s performed, 15-20 lbs to the deadlift the first couple times, and 10 lbs the next several times it’s performed. After that, jumps become 5 lbs per workout. For the press, bench press, and power clean, you may get one 10 lb jump, but you may need to start with 5 lb jumps

if you start with only the barbell maybe.

I think that SS greatly overestimates how much the average beginner can add each workout. Adding 2.5 lbs or even 5lbs every workout is way too much from my experience.

confirmed for not eating and sleeping enough

True on the not eating part, but that is the other problem with the programme. It requires a caloric intake that will lead to an unaesthetic result.
You can not really lean bulk on it.
Sure it is intended for beginners to gain strength over everything else, but if you have to cut after it and lose a fair share of your gains what is the point.
Most people on fit want to look aesthetic not become strength athletes so why is SS so strongly recommended in the sticky if the way to big caloric surplus is part of the programme? That is also where all the memes about SS have their origin. They are kind of true. The exercise selection is fine, but the programme is flawed for someone who wants to look good.

Eat more, sleep more, rest more.

You don't lose gains from cutting you fucking retard. Stop propagating myths and fucking eat you brain dead idiot. The program requires a large surplus of calories. Why in the fuck would you not do it correctly then complain about it?

Not him but
>do SS on maintenance/surplus/deficit depending on current body and goals
>don't attempt to break through a plateau by eating more and just move on to another routine
What's wrong with this?

>You don't lose gains from cutting
You do though

> Why in the fuck would you not do it correctly then complain about it?
When I started I wasn't aware that it requires you to eat like an obese person.
I am fine with eating 500 kcal above my tdee but this programme requires way more ergo it is shit for what I wanted and want to achieve namely getting an aesthetic athletic body.

No you don't you DYEL faggot. Stop making excuses you stupid fuck.

>You don't lose gains from cutting
Fat fuck who's never cut before here
How to cut without losing strength?

You can't be aesthetic without being strong you delusional fucking faggot. Jesus Christ you people are fucking stupid.

but you do

>Lifts going down a few lbs is losing gains
You people are stupid as fuck. If you REALLY want to cut without losing gains then FAST. It is the most muscle sparing way to lose fat.

No you don't you dick sucking faggot. How do you think people lose fat after they go on a bulk you stupid shit head?

I never mentioned gains, I mentioned strength
And I've already tried fasting, my lifts took a big hit and it took me a month to get back to where I was.

I managed to cut with minimal strength loss but it was autism tier macro counting with meal plan for 3 months my skwaat went from 190kg to 185kg diddly stayed at 225kg binch and ohp took heavy hits with losing 5kg on both so doen to 137.5 and 75.

This was going down from 92 to 83 kgs dunno if ure a fatassfatasss u might want a break after 7-10kg weightloss for few months then restart cut.

>Muh anecdotal evidence and pedantic nitpicking
You're just a collossal faggot who lives life built on excuses. Kill yourself you worthless shit head.

>Tried fasting
No you fucking didn't you idiot. You lack self control and discipline so you make excuses as to why you can't "cut without losing all your gains"

Not too shabby for dropping an entire weight class
I have about 25 kg to lose, so it's a little dumb of me to care about strength more than my own health.
I still want to maintain as much as possible though
What deficit did you run and what were your macros at the time?
Pretty sure I should be able to cut more aggressively at the beginning, right?

>Muh anecdote
Jesus Christ, you're retarded
You said I should fast and I told you it doesn't work for me
Low IQ homo

Greyskull has more upper body work and is sustainable longer

Fasting works for everyone you fucking idiot. How does it "not work for you"? You're calling me an idiot when you're too fucking stupid to NOT EAT. Keep coping you dumb faggot.

>Sustainable longer
So it's slower and less efficient? You can get the same or better results faster doing SS.

If the program requires a large surplus to work then it's a bad program. Those extra calories are not going towards building more muscle, they're just making you fatter.

You need to improve your reading comprehension, you low IQ shitskin
Fasting makes me lose too much strength
Go back to school retard

SS allows you to add weight to the bar rapidly in the short term, but screws up your long term development if you do it "correctly". After SS you will be fat, maybe suffering from tendinopathies from low bar squatting, with a terrible work capacity and a very narrow base since you've done nothing but fahves, You now have to correct all those issues after SS which will take time, so in the grand scheme of things it might not be more efficient at all. Not to mention all the mental aspects, like thinking that weight on the bar is the single most important training variable, which if carried on to a higher volume intermediate program will run you into the ground.

Not saying that Greyskulls doesn't suffer from the same thing though, since it's so similar to SS.

Fasting DOES NOT MAKE YOU LOSE ANY SIGNIFICANT AMMOUNT OF STRENGTH. It is the MOST muscle sparing way to cut body fat. You're doing nothing but making excuses for being weak and fat. Go kill yourself dumb lazy fuck.

>What if???
Follow the fucking program instead of making stupid fucking excuses about why you shouldn't. People like you are too stupid to converse on this subject.

60% of the excess calories from someone eating roughly 6k calories per day and living a normal lifestyle are converted to lean body mass. 2.5lbs of muscle are the estimated gain PER WEEK.

It did make me lose a significant amount of strength though, you fucking brain-damaged neet
Are you fucking blind?
Jesus Christ
Nice sources by the way
Making retarded claims is all you can do, apparently

I'm speaking from experience here after running SS. I had every one of those issues, and I'm not alone with that experience. There's a reason many people never progress beyond SS, and seem to find themselves perpetual novices, who keep running SS and quitting again and again.

please stop micro loading

More reps or shorter rest until you can lift more.

It's because they don't fucking follow the program as directed. People being retards like you who fuck up the program then blame the program instead of themselves live a life built on excuses, you included.

What exactly are you basing this on? The Book, which mind you contains no sources for it's information? Eating like The Book suggests is not going to result in 60% LBM, not even if you're an extreme high responder unless you're on massive doses of steroids.
strongerbyscience.com/being-strong-is-not-an-excuse-to-be-fat-and-being-fat-is-probably-holding-you-back/

Well then, explain what part I fucked up on this very complex program.

>I need to be spoon-fed information readily available to any person who isn't technologically illiterate
idmprogram.com/fasting-and-muscle-mass-fasting-part-14/

>Its a ripp cultist is too retarded to understand the criticism episode
Ripp himself says you develop issues that need to be corrected after going on SS. He says its fine to turn a skelly into a strongfat because it results in the fastest natural strength adaptation possible. The thing is that 95%+ of guys who start lifting are doing it to look better and be healthier, not become a lineman.

t. former lineman who did SS to bulk up.

How much did you eat? How much did you sleep? How long did you rest between sets? How much weight did you increase between workouts? How long did you do SS? What were your lifts when the program ended?

i went into the gym 28 hours into a fast and lifted exactly as i did a few days prior to fasting. i felt fine before and after. lost about 1kg during that fast and im sure none or very little was muscle

Not him but hard doubt on that one, either you're weak or not doing high % of max effort for your lifts

Switch programs before it's too late. You have been warned.

Attached: 100301_front.jpg (480x640, 130K)

I ate around 3000 calories which was enough to get me from skinny 65kg to skinnyfat 86kg at around 25% bodyfat and 100+cm waist.
Aimed for 8 hours of sleep, usually got around 7-8.
I rested 6+ minutes.
I increased the weight 2,5kg on lowerbody lifts and 1-1,5kg on upper body.
About 1,5 years including many resets, some because of stalling, some due to getting sick, which I was a lot during the program, but strangely enough I have not been sick more than once since moving on from SS.

End of LP lifts for 5 reps:
107,5 kg squat
65kg bench
127,5 kg deadlift
50 kg OHP

I'm clearly a low responder, and should have stopped doing the program much earlier than I did, unfortunately I listened to the advice on the SS forums and wasted a lot of time trying to make the program work when it was clear that it didn't work for me anymore.

i'm definitely weak, but i was no weaker that time than previous times when fed. for example i always start off with 3 sets of pull ups to failure and i equaled my previous best of 21, just as i did 3 days prior to my fast. second and third set had roughly the same drop off in reps to failure as well. same with my 3 sets of pushups to failure

You didn't eat nearly enough food man. Also 1.5 years?? You fucked up but at least you got some lifts out of it. Just go on an extended fast to cut your body fat down. Try doing it again and eat more, sleep more, rest more. Most novices get to atleast 3 plate squats before their noob gains run out.

>Implying this physique is worse than being a weak skeleton

That is your experience
As I've already said, fasting causes me to lose strength at a very crazy rate

You would have someone with a waist of 100+cm gain even more weight, despite all the negative health conditions associated with a waist that large? Just for possibly/maybe a few more kg on their lifts?
nhlbi.nih.gov/health/educational/lose_wt/risk.htm
Did you read this earlier? strongerbyscience.com/being-strong-is-not-an-excuse-to-be-fat-and-being-fat-is-probably-holding-you-back/

And yes 1,5 years, because of advice like yours. "You cannot stall that early, you need to hit at least 3 plates!" "deload, eat more rest more". I did all of that and it didn't get me anywhere, and like I said, I got sick a lot during that time, at one point I was sick almost every other month, which was very unusual because I was rarely sick before doing SS, and have not been sick more than once since moving on.
And according to SS the average is 257 lbs, and not 315. startingstrength.com/article/wndtp

Telling someone to eat X amount of calories without any more information is bad idea, according to Rip, you cannot gain weight on less than 4500 calories, but I managed to gain over 20kg on 3000, which was honestly too many calories for me, since I got so fat.

>make claims without posting sources
>Hurr durr, it's on you to prove me wrong

Attached: 1544490320892.png (683x298, 60K)

Are you me? I'm only 4 weeks in and I'm just dead stuck at like 180-190 on my squat. It's so frustrating to not make progress for two weeks.

>the first 2-3 times it’s performed
Oh... I think I found my problem. I read this as just all the way through the first stage so I started at the bar and kept going up 10 lbs each of the 3 workouts straight to 185.

>After SS you will be fat, maybe suffering from tendinopathies from low bar squatting, with a terrible work capacity and a very narrow base

Attached: 1558836287122.gif (200x150, 2.11M)

what routine instead?

Just buy them, unless you’re literally homeless it’s not expensive

>implying you can't just lift weights intelligently and actually look like you lift

Attached: 4d994ec00e8380131f9fd37d18ff768e.jpg (480x679, 148K)

You left out the if you do SS "corectly" part. You can still do SS if you want as long as you ignore some of the standard SS advice. So instead:
- Eat according to your goals, if you need to lose weight do so, and if you need to gain weight do so slowly. Don't follow the SS calorie recomendations instead look at something like this: barbellmedicine.com/blog/584-2/
- Limit rest times to 5 minutes
- If you're not active outside the gym, consider adding some low intensity cardio on off days, unlike what Rip says, cardio does not kill your recovery, but enhances it, provided you're not doing too much or too high intensity.
- Don't rest between warmup sets, and try to do 5 reps on all your warmup sets instead of decreasing the reps as you go.
- Weight on the bar should not be prioritized above all else at all times.
- If you want bigger arms you need to train your arms. Add some curls and tricep extensions if that is your goal, but don't go overboard, ie. don't do a full on bodybuilding arm day.
- When the program stops working move on to an intermediate program. This will happen at different points to different people, don't be discouraged just because your stall earlier than someone else, but don't bang your head against the wall by trying to make LP work when it has already stopped working. Don't reset more than once, it's a waste of time.

Yes you'll likely stall a bit earlier doing this, but in the long term you'll be better off, since you won't be so fat and your work capacity will be slightly better.

You could also try the Barbell Medicine novice program: barbellmedicine.com/blog/the-beginner-prescription/

And lastly, this is based on my own experience from SS and moving on to intermediate training, as well as from reading the experience of others who were in a similar position, I'm not pretending to be some expert coach here. SO take this for what you will.

>Muh fat
Just stop

M8 if you are doing starting strength you don’t need to worry about looking good yet you have a ways to go. SS is designed to train your nervous system why maxing out your NLP, it’s good for beginnings. Follow the program and lower calories by 2-300 if you are starting to grow a belly or add in some extra cardio. Once you have some sizeable gain and you’ve started stalling then switch programs and maybe try doing a calorie deficit to trim up, losing weight is easy just don’t eat as much. And if you do have goals of being aesthetic be sure to add on some accessories for arms and shoulders so you don’t become a SS t-rex

>be sure to add on some accessories for arms and shoulders
What are some? I only do Barbell and dumbbell curls.

Triceps extensions, close grip bench, push press, barbell pull overs, preacher curls, Arnold curls. Also adding some lat work would be good too like body builder or pendlay rows or some pull ups too, those will engage your biceps too. Accessory exercises should be 3x10s usually. The rows I would do for 5x5s. 2-3 accessories per workout day usually is enough. Also be sure to add in some core workout like hanging leg raises so your abs look good once they show

I'm 2 weeks in and only just squatted 135

Youre lying about how much you ate.
Fast until you're 10%-15% body fat and start as again correctly.

>Can't refute an argument so deflect.
Face it you brain dead retarded nigger. You have no argument and it's obvious you have an IQ in the double digits. Eat a bullet faggot.

Top results did not occur over an 11 week period you stupid faggot. Bottom pic was 2.84lbs of LEAN BODY MASS PER WEEK. It's easier to lose fat than it is to build muscle.

Terrible fucking advice. Follow the fucking program or do something else. Following this idiots advice will only extend the program longer than needed or make you stall earlier than you should. Cutting fat is not fucking hard, building muscle is. Stop being a retard.

Chin-ups

Your posts reek of s*I
Post body dyel cuck

Install Gentoo

>Still can't refute the argument
Cope harder bitch

>DYEL doesn't post body
Color me surprised

>increase rest times
>sleep more
>eat more

The above is what Rip has said to do to troubleshoot program issues early on.

Attached: 6ABD51B8-C016-452A-8E7A-4E31AABBE794.png (310x335, 69K)

Lmao you believe fat calipers are accurate? This guy drank the Rippletits koolaid.
Zach got fat.

Fat calipers are accurate

You didn't do either

First of all Zach’s results were absolutely terrible. He gained majority of the 50 pounds of muscle only in his ass and little bit on his legs.

Looks like his upper body got only his fat gains.
Look at his arms, shoulders, traps, forearms, they did not change at all.
He got small man boobs, his gut got big. I bet not a lot of people would want 50 pounds of muscle in their ass lmao.

Calipers are useless, DEXA scan is the only way.
inbodyusa.com/blogs/inbodyblog/39288577-4-reasons-calipers-fail-to-give-accurate-body-fat-results/

Rippetoe’s nutrition is ridiculous. 6000 calories and 300 gram protein and a gallon of whole milk for a 150 pound natty kid will only make him fat. People accuse starting strength students of using estrogen because of their increasing butt from squatting and growing man boobs from drinking so much milk

Plus he stopped lifting after all of Rip's advice anyway. I think Rip knows he shit the bed, that's why he will never adjust his recommendations when his coaches point out the common issues with SS. He's way past the point of sunken cost fallacy

Why would I lie? What exactly are you having problems with here? The fact that people have different genetics and stall at different points, or that some people are more active than others, and thus burn more calories?
Here's Greg Nuckols article on genetics: strongerbyscience.com/genetics-and-strength-training-just-different/
For TDEE just look up any TDEE calculator, which will show that it is easily possible to bulk on 3000 calories, unless you're very active: tdeecalculator.net/result.php?s=metric&age=25&g=male&cm=175&kg=86&act=1.2&bf=&f=1
Here's Greg Nuckols article on why you should not do an extreme caloric surplus again: strongerbyscience.com/being-strong-is-not-an-excuse-to-be-fat-and-being-fat-is-probably-holding-you-back/

Can I ask you this: do you think is LP is magic, that one has to constantly retry it until you get it just "right"? Do you think its secrets will unlock only if you do it exactly right with 6000+ calroies and 15 minutes rest between sets, and you'll be able to squat 4 pl8s no matter your genetics?
I think you are putting way too much stock in a novice program, and trying to make it out to be mroe than it is. You're supposed to do it until it stops working and then move on, for some people that will mean a 100kg squat, for others it might be 200kg.

Just ignore the cunt. He's just started SS and thinks it's the beginner program to end all beginner programs.