/run/ - cardio is king edition

Ran 8k this morning, averaged 4:37mins/k. Anyone got any tips for breathing? Also favourite shoes?

Attached: Ana-Cláudia-Lemos-e1517330783498.jpg (400x266, 18K)

Cardio is for gays and fags.

Heartlets lmaoo. What good are those muscles if youre gassed after 5 minutes of cardio

It's for gays and fags, but also straights, too.

>favorite shoes
I ran cross country for a couple years (I'm a terrible runner desu), and I've gotten Plantar fasciitis (pretty bad heel pain)

The shoes that helped with my heel injury the best were Hokas

Crap ton of shock absorption

for the rest of the world, that's 5 miles at 7:23 pace.
Also, that's pretty good, I ran 5 miles at around 7:17 pace for recovery last Saturday after some grueling 400m hills on Friday.

Nice work user. Do you have a hill sprint routine? I want to start doing stairs again (will probably help my vertical for b-ball) but I just get so gassed that I dread it

I get plenty of cardio from burnout sets. No need to run pointlessly for hours like a fag

Cardio isn’t really my thing, but for the past 6 months my cardio routine involves me sprinting until I cannot continue, followed by walking and then sprinting again. I have no interest in running long distance and I’ve noticed that I am much faster now. is this a decent routine or am I just retarded?

Is it wiser to hit weights before or after cardio?

No you don't. You're just making excuses because cardio is hard.

Not him and I don't run for hours, but I realize what cancer this mentality is now that I have been running like half an hour a few times a week.

before

stupid incel """power lifters""" will tell you not to do it at all, or after, because they are fat ss gomad retards

Attached: jimmy.jpg (640x629, 312K)

Not sure if you’re retarded or not but that’s HIIT, not cardio

After, cause you strength if you run before, but you won’t loose speed if you run after

Is that what that is? I always thought hiit was some retarded cross fit box jumping crap. Thanks for clearing that up for me.

>vert training
How much ya hang clean?

Hiit is.
High Intensity Interval Training
You just do an activity hard and then take a break then hit it agaon

is jack daniels running a meme for trying to improve my short distance times? i cant even run a 7 minute mile i dont care if i can run 6 miles at an easy pace

I'm in Army SOF, practical run times are key. 35 minute or lower 5 miles are practical.

>taking back to cross country running
>Cardio shape has gone to shit, average 6'20/k for a light 5k
>Start out at 165bpm heart rate
>Good feels when I measure 148 at the end of the run

Am I gonna make it again boys? I run light 4 times a week and do 400/200m intervals once a week. How long before I can do a 5k under 22' again?

I run around 30-40 km a week (I'm going to try to ramp it up to 50-60km) and lift 5 days a week too. And love it.

Regarding breathing, I breathe in twice when I take a step, and out twice again when I take another.

I don't do hang cleans - should I start?
I googled Jack Daniels training and at a glance it looks like it could be useful - I just try and run faster/push it/listen to my body though
Nice. Nothing like runner's high
I assume you mean breathe once every two steps though, otherwise that's a lot of breathing
I read somewhere that in for 2 steps, out for 3 is good because when you breathe out you land with more impact, and doing it this way (odd number) means the impact is spread between both legs instead of one. Feels less natural to me though

What's a good routine to build myself up again after a 5 month break from running? The other night I did a 5k in about 26 minutes which is 5 minutes longer than I used to be.

I also get infrequent stomach cramps and nausea when I run the force me to stop, despite not eating hours before I run.

cardio helps with fighting and sexual performance

lifting weights helps with attracting other men at the gym

>HIIT
>not cardio
I am sure you are retarded

I just recently got into running.
My best run was 6 km at 5:53/km, but i usually run 5 km at 6:00/km
What should i do? I want to run further but i also want to increase my pace.

Nike pegasus of course! I have red/grey ones

Attached: shoes.jpg (1280x1600, 224K)

Just run further, but slower. It's about getting some distance under your belt right now.

I am going to start running when I finish moving, was thinking of starting with the c25k meme. Any tips? Also is the minimalist shoe meme for real?

> willingly ran 8k
My tip for breathing is stop in general

8k is not that far if you take cardio somewhat seriously.

Anybody else want to run just be good at running? If I'm in a SHTF situation that requires running to survive I don't want to be screwed.

>needing a program to run 3 miles

Yea im an unathletic faggot so what

You can still walk out your door right now and run 3 miles. It just takes will and discipline. You don't need a program. It will literally be 20 minutes of dealing with mild discomfort.

i fucking suck at running but reebok classics are the most comfy shit ive ever worn running ever

No, you can only do that if you already have decent cardio fitness, otherwise you really can't.
Do the c25k program. I've never done it myself, but I've only heard good things about it. Mimimalist shoes are a meme. Just get some cheap running shoes (they need to be real running shoes though, not just generic trainers). If you're more serious about running you could always go to a specialized running store and get an analysis done.

Remember to greet fellow runners and scoff at those fucking asshole cyclists.

>have both Plantar fasciitis and Shin Splints
>any 1.5 - 3 mile run hurts like hell afterwards
>had to stop running for 2 weeks because it was that bad

I wish I ran when I was younger

Fuck cyclists
Worse than niggers
Hope their bikes get stolen
Slimey fucks

Attached: 14.png (807x212, 5K)

Wait 8Km in 5 min?? How did you do that, even Usain Bolt can't do it if he could keep up for 8km

Enjoy your heart skipping a beat at 40 yo, and having a sudden death

Actually, desu, the frequency depends on how fast you're going. I breathe at that pace when doing 45 min @ 4-4:30min/km (my "easy" pace is between 5-5:30) or so.

However, maybe I'm doing it wrong. My running skills come more from self-experimenting than reading how to do it (i recall a youtube video about breathing though...). Regardless, keep it up user!

I used to get terrible stomach cramps. Not anymore. Don't know what have I done to stop it other than just get used to running more, which comes with time.

Maybe try slowing down a bit and see how that works for you

Good pick have them too

How old are you? Im 33 and can run without issues (30k per week on average). Good footwear and running technique are key.

D1 College track coach reporting in. Daniels is good for the middle to long distances. Don’t use him for short distances.

Thanks user

Am a couchpotato that started running last week. I just used the nike app and did the coach thing for starters. Ran 20m (3km) and 22m(3.5k) slow pace . Wasnt that taxing. Today should be HIIT. No idea if this program is good. Are there any recommended programs and apps?

Attached: 1528908047761.jpg (1080x810, 104K)

I use the NRC as well user (and used it for their 5k equivalent). Love the app and have continued to use it ever since. Great thing about the app is that it can generate a suitable program for you depending on your available time and level of cardio.

>averaged
can you read?

heartlets, when will they learn?

Attached: surethingbuddy.jpg (828x196, 44K)

JUST FUCKING RUN

ok

Attached: 1563481754216.jpg (312x296, 15K)

I started doing cardio using the elliptical in the gym and I'm seeing so many benefits for only 30-40 minutes a day. Like what was I missing, my resting heart rate got lower, anxiety pretty much vanished and my sex skills,libido,erections all got better plust it helped my weight lifting sessions.

Do you think that I should take heart rate zones more seriously ? I don't pay attention to it much but on my hard days it's at 160bpm and on the medium days it's at 140bpm, all according to the heart rate monitor that uses the handles of the elliptical.

Right now I do it like this. hard day(intensity 7 on the elliptical) - 30 minutes, medium(intensity 3) 20 minutes faster than the hard day and then I have a day I just walk for 40 minutes on max incline on the treadmill, then repeat.

I know that I don't "run" actually cause I don't like running as my form,shoes are not correct and I don't like it to begin with. Maybe now that I have a better cardio base I should just get into it.

how 2 stop shin splints? can you build up tolerance?

i average 9-10min mile

The best part of running is that it can be done outside.
Sorta. You need stronger bones and ligaments. You'll develop these as long as you keep running. However, while overuse is definitely one of the big causes of shin spints, bad form and shitty shoes also play signicant factors.

SATAN CALLING YOU OUT

The worst is the peloton of TDF larpers. Always boomers (real ones) who give fuck all about anyone else on the road.

By “cardio” I meant LISS cardio.

>tfw just moved and closest decent trail is over an hour drive away

also try to run on a softer surface like a nice track or a grass trail once a week or more if you can. switching up the surface goes a long way for injury prevention

Do people actually take the car to run somewhere? Thats such a foreign concept to me.

trail running is best running and not many people live super close to a good one. Also things like running with friends or a club. I also drive to the track sometimes for interval work, and if youre preparing for a race, training on the actual course helps a lot

Yeah, I kinda wish I lived in a cool environment. Everything here is cultivated fields. It's boring af. Closest cool trails are probably 100km away. Not really practical.

iktf. so many videos on youtube of dope ass trail runs and it makes me so sad

if i can do 3 miles aka a 5k in 30min, what should i do to add some endurance without wanting to look like the lanky ass runners body

i wouldnt mind being able to do a half marathon sometime but i wont be a scrawny marathon dude

This meme again. You can do a marathon without looking like a skelly. Just eat more.

I fell for the cardio kills gains meme

I've been walking 4k to gym and back. I'm starting to get juicier with that 2 hours walking.

I still won't jog or run like a filthy mudblood though.

Lmao, if you're not doing that for at least 40 mins without stopping, you're not doing cardio.

Enjoy your stroke you bloated, land barge of a human being.

Attached: 1563288741549.jpg (1200x1200, 244K)

right now ive been lifting 3 times a week, running 3 times a week, 1 day off.

How do i increase my distance/endurance without killing muscle gains? Do I need to go faster during the distance I currently do, or just do more distance even if i ahve to go slower/take a break each mile or wathever?

is 5 miles at a 10min pace better than 3 miles at a 7 minute pace, etc

LISS is best for cardio gains. If you're doing three weeks, just do two shorter runs and a long run in the weekend. Every two or three weeks you can substitute one of your shorter runs with a tempo run or an interval run. The key however is just upping your milage. Doesnt have to fast, just conversational pace. You wont suffer any loss of gains with just 3 days of cardio, but like I said, you can always eat more to offset the deficit.

*3 days a week

>Regarding breathing, I breathe in twice when I take a step, and out twice again when I take another.

Hmm, I do two short breaths in to better fill the lungs, and a single breath out, with my lips puckered to take advantage of the Venturi effect and help empty the lungs with lower pressure.

>I also get infrequent stomach cramps

Those aren't stomach cramps but the muscles of your diaphragm not getting their fuel, and the only true remedy is to get better.

>Dat cushion

Jesus user. Why don't you let your muscles and skeleton work like they actually should, and go with a minimal heel support, which will correct your forefoot technique.

>trail running is best running

This too.

Attached: 1527262013233.jpg (644x364, 150K)

ok so get in more mileage at even just a plodding jog is more important than the speed i get the mileage in at?

what is a short and a long run at my current level? My issue currently is legs go all jelly after 3 miles, not that I can't keep up my breathing/pump blood fast enough.

I use to do some HIIT running before i started this LISS stuff, what if i do something like this:

Week 1: short run, long, short
Week 2: long, HIIT, long

with day off in between each when i lift of course, then 1 FULL day off a week from everything. Should I just consider 3 miles a 'short' run for me now, and get in 5 miles on 'long' days and add mileage from tehre? i really dont know much about running man im already in the best shape ive ever been in

>Ran 8k this morning,
8k yesterday (will be 8k today after it gets good and hot)
>averaged 4:37mins/k.
Averaged 7:44/km, with strides at the end hitting about 2:45/km
>Anyone got any tips for breathing?
Make EVERYTHING tougher. Run in the mosquito clouds, in the HEAT, with a mask on, up hills and down into swamps
>Also favourite shoes?
Last years leftovers. Currently Inov8 Roclite 290. They dry quick, shed mud ok, grab enough etc.

Wisest to choose which is your priority, do a great job at that, first

Do form drills. Lots. Especially ones which demand mobility, rather than just flexibility.

Follow the heroes like Jornet, Dauwalter and Proctor, and compare your running abilities to theirs.

You are so far behind what one would call 'strong human' you can't even see the pack from where you are.

None of the slow kilometers you run are wasted. Most people spend too much time running hard, and would benefit from a heart rate based 'upper limit' for many of their workouts.
>what is a short and a long run at my current level?
I would say 25-30% of your weekly total mileage (as a rule)

At your level? Yeah, distance is WAY more important. Speedwork only really comes into play when you want to go lower than 25:00min 5Ks, so dont worry too much about that right now. HIIT is great if you already have a solid aerobic base, if you dont you'll risk injury. As for distances, I believe it was something like your long run shouldnt exceed 40% of your total milage. But since you only run three days, I wouldnt take it as a hard limit. Don't push it though, overuse injuries in running come at you very fast. Right now just get conditioned properly.

All running shoes have cushioning. It's necessary because of all the hard surfaces we run on.

Trailrunning.

It demands more strength, better balance, other demands which mean you will be slower to progress.

Strength is good.

this sounds like if your running 3 times a week, then runs split up into 30/30/40% or so for my total weeks mileage would work out well? And just add mileage on I feel I can

Trailrunning is the best, but if you want to focus on building a solid aerobic base I'd recommend just sticking to road running for now. Can still do trailrunning for fun though.
Yeah sounds about right. The ratio is mostly for protecting yourself from stress injuries. Those long runs might feel easy (provided you run them at a suitable pace), but if your legs arnt conditioned to the stress you will fuck shit up.

When I did speedwork or tempo workouts, I would run slow 20 minutes or more before starting the (8k or so) workout

Run all your runs slow, except if you have a reason to add the small risk of running hard.

80% of your runs should be at a 'chatting' pace or slower. If you fucked it up, and ran 99% of your miles slow, then started a month or three of speedwork, you would still be in VERY good shape.

If you fuck it up by running too hard, you will increase injury risk, make it less fun.

I dare you to run a 100km week of joyful runs. (with a sensible progression, of course)

>if you want to focus on building a solid aerobic base I'd recommend just sticking to road running for now
Absolutely true. If you aren't in a hurry for results, they will come slower (but WILL come) in trails.

who /1" inseam master race/ here

yes my issue is my runs feel 'easy' but over a couple miles my legs start to feel heavy and a bit sore and uncomfortable

>62 miles in a week

oh i am laughin lmao thats a ton of fucking mileage in only 7 days

and yes all my runs i can still talk during them with some labored breathing of course, but i go quite slow, 8-10 minute miles

>Shoes
Brooks

I used to be a run fag. Now I'm getting fat and out of breath. I need to get back into it just for the de-stressing benefits it gives. Holy shit it's like night and day when I'm running vs. when I'm sedentary.

Also, get fit for running shoes. I've worn brooks beasts for about 10 years. It corrected my lack of arch, and feels perfect on marathons, hill runs, hikes, fucking anything. But go to a pro shop and have them run you on a treadmill with film.

Also, make sure and tie those laces tight on long runs, or your toenails will fall off...

Don't know if larping or not but just in case you're not, got any tips for going SOF? i.e any particular programs you use and tips for running?

What is the best thing for high altitude training?

What do you mean? Because that technically be an oxygen tank. High altitude training isnt that different from normal altitudes. It's just less intense to compensate for the increased difficulty of less oxygen.

Might have known it was you.

>oh i am laughin lmao thats a ton of fucking mileage in only 7 days
Not really. It's well below the elites, and if you take a year or two to increase, it won't seem that good.

But it means you have to train joy first. Prioritize it over performance, I mean.

>or your toenails will fall off...
They fall off anyway. I have 9.5 right now.

>run thread
>no exploding knees anime poster
did he die in the fire?

>it won't seem that good
lol I meant to type 'won't seem that bad'.

Draw from that what you will.

well it's not necessarily going to be easy considering you're carrying a pack on your back weighing God knows how much. I guess you could carry a 30 lb bag and see how that works.

just RUN bitch, you don’t need a trail

I've been runjing on the balls of my feet and have increased my time exponentially

I can breath only through my nose but I get more stamina if I switch to a nose inhale and mouth exhale.

No thanks, would rather larp as a shark.
C25K is pretty good, designed with couch potatoes and new runners in mind.
Good footwear and softer surfaces.

Attached: 2A4ED050-5B63-4762-A1EC-04896AFDE933.jpg (720x480, 86K)

>All running shoes have cushioning

Wrong. All you need is a tread to protect against bad surfaces, but if you want to acquire good form, use zero heel offset, like pic related.

I use the Merrel Trail Glove to run off road and on pavement. It forces you into a running technique that's similar to running barefoot.

Try running barefoot for a bit and see what position your body forces you to assume.

That is correct technique.

Attached: Merrell-Trail-Glove-Review-left-right-side.jpg (1500x497, 121K)

>larping as a virgin shark instead of a chad killer whale
yikes

>I used to be a run fag. Now I'm getting fat and out of breath. I need to get back into it just for the de-stressing benefits it gives. Holy shit it's like night and day when I'm running vs. when I'm sedentary.

I feel like I'm literally dying, if I go without running for a few weeks.