How long should you rest in between sets if you're training for hypertrophy?

How long should you rest in between sets if you're training for hypertrophy?

Attached: bhd0tws77k331.jpg (1617x865, 252K)

Other urls found in this thread:

ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/26605807
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

>he rests between sets

Superset ur whole routine pauses are for pussies

No meme answers, i'm hearing 1-2 minutes and then I also hear 3-5 minutes.

3 mins for compounds, 8 reps

2 mins for accessories, 10-15 reps

That gym is so small it makes me uncomfortable

/thread

This. 2-3 minutes is all you need.

this

also up to 5 minutes for compounds, 5 reps

60 seconds to 120 seconds

Anything else is meme tier and looks dyel

Fantastic, and the set range should be between 3-5 correct?
(I figure i'll do 3x8).
I think i'll go for 2.5 minutes.

Attached: bvs993e1pjo21.png (2560x1440, 2.06M)

All the literature suggests that if volume is equal, rest period makes no difference. But in the real world, if you take shorter rests, volume won't be equal. If you want to miss reps and have a lower quality workout, take short rests. If you want to be as effective as possible, take long rests. 3 minutes upper body, 5 minutes lower body is a good starting point.
The idea that short rests = better hypertrophy is a myth perpetuated by commercial gyms who want people in and out as quickly as possible without hogging a machine for too long.

>myth perpetuated by commercial gyms who want people in and out as quickly as possible without hogging a machine for too long.
Totally makes sense. One more quick question,
the set range (for hypertrophy) should be between 3-5 correct?
(I figure i'll do 3x8).

Do four sets it’s a nice median. And try and always increase your reps an weight over time

Yah this is pretty solid. Honestly if time isn't an issue you could even do longer. Your muscles only care about total work done, not about how long you rest in between sets. If you think you could do a few more reps if you wait a bit longer then do it. Apply to any exercise.

6-12 reps, 3-5 sets, 60 seconds rest between sets. Your tempo should be 2 counts controlled, eccentric deceleration, 0 counts of isometric stabilization, and 2 counts of concentric acceleration.(2/0/2). One of the better ways I've determined ATP-PC system recovery is by using a rest ratio is 1:10/12. This means that for every second of 'work' you need to allow 10 to 12 seconds for recovery. It will keep you as close to optimal as you'll find.

Would you recommend working out a body part two times (PPL) or three times (Full body) when doing hypertrophy?

Not that guy and I'm clearly not an expert but in my opinion full body is for beginners and spits are for intermediate lifters and above.
I've started out with full body and it was great, I had good progress- But then after some time when squat and deadlift for example became heavy enough that I felt like a single rest day isn't enough to recover and linear progression stalled. I've switched to lower upper spit, where I do 2 lower days and 2 upper days, and it feels much better now.

I like 1.5 min for 10-14 reps

longer rest is better since it let's you get more volume per set. try to superset things to be efficient with your time instead of just sitting around with your phone

ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/26605807

>asking Jow Forums anything about hypertrophy

>inb4 read the sticky
>inb4 take roids
>inb4 build a strength foundation
>inb4 ppl doesn’t work
>inb4 “functional strength”