>everybody saying 10 years ago there weren't nearly as many people working out

is it true that 10 years ago the bar for competition was way lower? at least in my social circle and relatives almost nobody was going to the gym to lift and get huge 10 years ago, and now I know quite a lot of people who are and at least 4 people who use steroids. these aren't people I met through fitness, it's the same people I knew back then or through unrelated means like at work and school.

even my zoomer cousins go to the gym and my 18 year old zoomer cousin uses roids. he's asked me how to do them safely and I don't have any fucking clue, he said he assumed I roided because all of his fit friends do.

what's going on Jow Forums, is the bar raising? is it true that 30% of all male tinder users roid? are more men getting swole than ever before? will 2020s 1/2/3/4 be 3/4/5/6 in 2030?

Attached: oh no.jpg (972x960, 60K)

Yes an Indian street cleaning discussion forum is the best place to ask something that requires lots of studies and expert insight

Yes, more people are working out now and it's connected to rise of internet, social media and easier access to information. The same goes for roiding, back then it was pretty much bodybuilders and strenght athletes, now every instagram model and actor is roiding.

it's over

People tend to think short term in the USA. It's part of the whole living your best live, experience economy, if you ask me.

That being said, because we live in a world where instant gratification is nearly the standard for all activities, I can assure you that most people you worry about now will phase out eventually.

The bar is not rising. The world is simply more populated and people tend to post on social media when they're doing well.

Your exposure is relative, of course.
I don't believe that most of these men you speak of will hit 2/3/4/5, they are mostly juicing and using creatine if anything.

However, in some cities, healthy foods and smaller portions are catching on. I believe restaurants realized they can maximize profits this way while also enhancing their brand image via the whole fancy small portions focus on presentation bullshit for instagram.

incredibly high iq post

Is the percentage of people in the world working out actually increasing or is it, with respect to total population, the same or decreasing?

Just because social media allows us to see more ripped people than ever does not mean everyone is increasingly becoming athletic.

The rest of your post stands.

I feel like the internet has made everything more competitive to a ridiculous degree. It's actually getting kind of crazy.

It's easier to realize there is competition when everything is on a pedestal (instagram.)

How many gyms were there like 20 years ago? Not many, and most of them looked like Aryan Brotherhood clubhouses where normie people were afraid to step into. Now how many big gym chains exist, even shit like planet fitness for extreme casuals?

Lifting got a lot more popular at around 2011-2012 and has since then just become even more popular. We'll probably see a decline in in the coming years

I was thinking about it with videogames recently. Back in the 90s you were maybe the god of your local friend group and thought you were king. Slowly over the years the group widened and you get exposed to an increasingly small percentage of the truly best and the rising competition from that has just been incredible.

>We'll probably see a decline in in the coming years
will we though? I feel like people are just going to keep one-upping as things like social media makes people feel insecure about themselves

You should look this up.

I forget where I saw it but I was reading a business article about how big gyms actually can only support a certain capacity of their total membership. That being, people sign up cyclically of course. LA Fitness in example makes it excruciatingly inconvenient to cancel your membership. So once most people are in, they stay in. Thus sustaining these gyms. If we wanted to we could assume as the population increases, a percent of that population will have an interest in the gym. Cyclically (nye/trends) or truly (as is with fitness enthusiasts)

If we wanted to be crazy we could assume that if every membership belonging to a non participating member was terminated it would probably result in some gyms closing.

>LA Fitness in example makes it excruciatingly inconvenient to cancel your membership.
I forgot to mention they require you to mail in a cancellation form. Extremely unconventional in todays world. Severely reduces the chance of a membership termination I imagine.

The only way I've canceled is I call their customer service and straight up lie. I told them that the manager told me to call corporate and have them cancel it and 99% of the time those ass clowns don't care enough to fight it.

>will we though? I feel like people are just going to keep one-upping as things like social media makes people feel insecure about themselves
I honestly don't have social media. I just keep in touch with a select few on snap. I honestly have no idea how the social media world actually is. One upping people on social media honestly sounds lame as fuck and psychologically daunting. Perhaps i'd feel differently about it if my life was really fun and interesting, i might be flexing like fuck on insta idk

No, the general population is fatter, lazier and more disgusting than at any previous point in human history, both within the West and on a planetary scale. Men are particularly fat, lazy and disgusting even more so than women (even though men have an evolutionary imperative to train their muscles towards growth to be prepared for challenges and combat).

At the same time, gyms with advanced equipment are in every city or you can get a dumbbell set for a hundred bucks. Nutrition, exercise and hypertrophy knowledge is advanced and universally available thanks to the internet, protein comes in cheap and convenient powders that you don't even have to cook.
Therefore it has never EVER in the history of humanity been easier for a man to sexually outcompete other males which is why it's so particularly hilarious when men complain about how hard it supposedly is. And on top of all of this, it also has never been easier to meet single women, again because of the internet.
Go to the gym twice a week for 50 weeks and add two scoops a day to your diet, WOW SO DIFFICULT TO BE IN THE TOP 5% OF MEN

Fuck the academics and discussion this guy here nailed it.

My desk job allows me ample time to recover and control the amount of physical activity I under go.

the same thing happened to getting jobs, at least in my industry. what used to cut it for interviews, resume, experience, to get hired will no longer even get you to the table in the first place.

The internet has had a collosal impact on everything but fitness has gotta be almost at the top of things supercharged by the internet.

10 years ago obviously there was internet too but now you don't have to have your Dad get you into sports at a young to get the best training or try and sift through countless books and magazines of bullshit to get good programs and nutrition advice.

First of all OP I don't know why you look at it as "competition" if other people work out. It's kind of sad that making yourself strong, attractive and healthy is considered some lofty goal in this society and not the baseline. Are you afraid of not standing out if you're not one of the only guys working out?

The majority of people do NOT work out. Secondly, of those that do, the majority of them have NO idea what they're doing (and go to any busy gym during peak hour if you don't believe me and watch the show, or hell just look over the Jow Forums catalog).

So even if you're really that concerned with standing out (wrong mindset btw), it shouldn't be very hard.

Youre seeing a confirmation bias user. While many more people are working out than say thirty years ago, the vast majority are casuals. Not much had changed in the last five-ten years. You just live in this zeitgeist so it's all you see. It's the same way vegans/carnivores think every other person in the world is a vegan/carnivore, or that wh40kfags think every third person has an army. You've surrounded yourself with people who live the same life as you. Take a more objective look at people next time you're out in the city or doing groceries.

Why did you bother typing this? Your faggot sarcastic statement can be applied to literally any thread, you're not clever.

Read
Zoomers are all lifting hard AF with roids and using finasteride to protect their hairlines.

ITS OVER

Attached: 1564346846785.gif (400x225, 1.55M)

depends on where you live. I live in a megacity and the people here are in no way fat and are very competitive. I'm sure it's different in suburbs and rural areas.

Its trendy to workout now. Like in the 80s.
Even thots are at the gym instead of a bar. Women are trend sheep. Thats how u know its peaking.
Gyms were few in number and more expensive 20 years ago. Now you have budget gyms everywhere(a sign of the craze).

Soon they will move onto something else that penetrates the normie stratosphere. They dont lift to enjoy it or for themselves, they do it because everyone else is.

the 2020s will be the neo-80s where the zoomers repeat their gen-x parent's culture, just like the millennials repeated the retarded 60s and 70s boomer culture

You're not wrong. But OP is also one of those who doesn't lift to enjoy it or for himself. If he was, he wouldn't care how many other people do or do not do it, and he wouldn't have made this thread.

When everybody moves onto the next craze, so will he. And ironically enough he'll be complaining then about how too many other people are into clam shucking or whatever else comes next too.

There's definitely a social media and sexual marketplace angle to it, sure. But I think the real reason that so many people use the gym now is because of the ever-increasing debt, ever-bigger bubble economy, automation, globalisation etc, resulting in a lot smaller chance to ever have a big slice of the pie.
In a world that is as materialistic as ever, but at the same time almost completely virtual, people are searching for something that provides a sense of progress, status and physical stimulus.
We know it is harder than ever to make college actually pay off for you, we know it's harder than ever to actually first-time buy, we know that most young people rent, have huge problems with mental illness and abstract social issue like climate change (regardless of veracity).
It's a lot to carry without any tangible physical form, so people go and do a thing that makes them sweat and gets those endorphins going.
I live in a dead end town, and there's so many gym-going guys. When all opportunity and social cohesion has eroded to the point we're at, and life has become the fulfillment of individual goals, it is the logical step when a everything else has become so unattainable and intangible.

nah I've been working out for years and years and I only do it for myself and my own health. I mean the reason my zoomer cousin asked me in the first place was because I've been known as a gym guy for ages. my goals are modest compared to Jow Forums because my main goal has always been health and the long term. but I can still feel the trend of what's happening and I want to know if I'm the only one seeing it, which it looks like other people see it too.

good post

It seems like on one end of the spectrum, people are getting fitter and on the other side, people are getting more obese. What was previously the 1% on each end has become 5% or maybe as much as 10%.

This reverberates with me deeply.

Everything I do feels empty except for the gym. I hate school. I tolerate my job. But the gym, my gains... they make me feel good, look good, and can never be taken from me by anyone else except for my own misfortunes. My body is all I truly own.

I go to a uni gym and I haven’t seen this yet but next September I probably will

a lot of uni gyms are just stacies and chads looking to hookup

Easier access to cheap fatty greasy foods is increasing obesity on the other end I think. Its super convenient to just pick up fast food for a lot of people, and it tastes good (to them anyway, I think most of it tastes like shit). I don't think shitty movements like HAES help either. Just like how the gap between rich and poor is widening, so too it seems will the gap between fit and fat. Being rich is also correlated with being fit, and being poor with being fat.

>Just like how the gap between rich and poor is widening, so too it seems will the gap between fit and fat
this is definitely happening. I feel like in the future society is going to be ridiculously stratified, with winners at the top getting everything and losers at the bottom getting shit on in every way. I wonder what I should do to best set myself up and my future family for that kind of reality.

Get rich, invest it, teach your kids how to save and invest, and keep continuing the cycle. The most important part of capitalism is capital, all the monkeys and normies just live their lives without thinking and waste all their money on dumb shit and retire with nothing. My grandfather got rich as fuck and with the help from my dad they invested it in industrial property, my Dad and his sisters did the same thing, and then passed it on to their kids. Now I'm worth 3 mil at age 23 thanks to it, and looking at buying another new property with my brother to keep getting more. Just keep in mind you don't need to get super rich as fuck, just each generation needs to leave with more money than they started with.

I don't know man. More people are obese than ever in history.

While it might be true that younger people are pretty fit. I'm 26 now and I've been noticing that all my friends are starting to gain shit loads of fat. I think there might just be a burst of working out when people are like 20 and then they just become sedentary once they turn like 25 and get fairly stable jobs.

people who didn't start from the bottom needs to shut the fuck up about how to get up from the it

>just start rich

This is absolutely true