Seriously, what the heck happened to memes?

Seriously, what the heck happened to memes?

Attached: d3d.jpg (1080x1080, 129K)

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=PH_-nCZuTWI
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

everyone wants to talk like a negroid

I only have r9k discord and r9k and I see normies from r9k say memes.
Like wheat??
deep fried may have been cool ages ago but its worn now retards

deep fried is still going strong.

Both of them are shit. Use better examples if you want to make a point.

Or is that your point? That memes have always been shit? 4D chess mayne.

The point is memes used to adhere to a concise and uniform format. Now, it seems like literally anything at all can be called a meme. Is this bad or good? What are your thoughts?

i hate imageboards and all you faggots
dont know why i waste my time here

Attached: download.jpg (262x192, 10K)

>deep fried is still going strong.
its shit though, I oonly like ironiclaly like

We grew up and matured. Old memes were "wholesome" and basically just raw expressions of feelings.
New memes are post-ironic and have a lot of nuance and subtlety behind their messages. They still convey big moods, you just have to have lived that experience to truly appreciate them.
Here's a good video on the topic; youtube.com/watch?v=PH_-nCZuTWI

Attached: 1522933519947.jpg (1000x625, 126K)

How dumb are you to not understand?

This.
Think about memes and their formats in early years. Rigid. There were fucking meme generator websites to make them.
True memes just convey ideas in a way that may or may not use words. I'd say that the second meme in OP is infinitely funnier and significantly smarter than the first one.

I think the Thanosvania meme at the end of the video truly is a striking commentary because it drives home memes as a lived, social experience. To an outsider, it looks entirely absurd. Your response is "Dude, what the fuck?"
But the video really ties it together with the perfect, deadpan line. "Yeah, I saw that already."
To him, it isn't strange or surreal. He's part of the group. He understands the symbolic meaning of parts of the meme. Perhaps he understands all of it, or only appreciates some of it. But he's part of the in-group, and he can appreciate what it represents and means. To him, it's not absurd. It's simply an amalgamation of ideas. That's what memes have become- a mature, ripe form of communication with rich inter-group ties that cloak themselves in hidden meaning and obscure expression, grown from the turbulent climate we live in today. We don't WANT normies or boomers to understand our memes, because we want to exclude them. They cannot even hope to comprehend our memes anymore, and that is exactly what we want. A safe, comfortable way to communicate with like-minded individuals who have shared our experiences. Every meme comes with a small sense of camaraderie, a silent connection between people who can understand even just a tiny faucet of each other for a brief moment.
That's what memes are now.

Attached: fa9.jpg (466x438, 24K)

Early internet memes were things that just happened and people thought they were funny and repeated them. At some point you had smartphones and social media which brought a flood of normalfags to the internet, and for them internet memes are about "look at me, look at my meme!" You had advice dog, which was the Henry Ford assembly line of normalfag meme production giving them all a template to follow. Now the end result has been simplified and abstracted further and further into derivatives of derivatives.

something something DFW something something sincerity

What do you mean? Your image shows to that suffer the same problem, being aware that they're memes.
Pic related is a meme that's not self-absorbed.

>Think about memes and their formats in early years. Rigid. There were fucking meme generator websites to make them.
That's not "early years."

Attached: 1554761983850.png (619x626, 111K)

They died when normies started thinking meme means image macro.

Humour then was childish and unironic
We're living in an age of cynicism and ironic humour *dab*

Attached: Screenshot_20190414-102332_Gallery.jpg (1080x604, 363K)

Memes in the early 2000s were far less rigid than today. The image macro style "memes" didn't pop up until the mid to late 2000s. Ironically the end of your unfunny zoomer youtube video reminds me of those mainstream Quiznos commercials which were in the style of internet memes from the early 2000s.

It's the consciousness shift. You haven't even begun to see the levels of absurdity that this clown world is about to reach.

Quite true, but the Advice Dog and its spinoffs started before the time everyone had smartphones.
Or maybe I was just late to the obamaphone party.

Doscord is only popular due to sheep behavior you mongoloid. Robots would NEVER use it.

Now follow these steps to improve Jow Forums:

>desuarchive.org/r9k/search/text/discordapp.com
>click view on all the spamming you find
>replace desuarchive with boards.Jow Forums
>report them all
>now all the teenage jannies are busy and so are the teenage discord spammers busy changing their IPs
>no more faggy posts

>new kids don't make memes

Niggers and their phones happened, everyone knows this about the post 07 Internet.

This thread is gay as hell and you should all be ashamed

Attached: reaction.png (1279x1856, 942K)

Normie's understand what nihilism is, they understand pepe, they understand the memes, all it takes is a Google Search for them to look it up and they understand it all. The majority of the population isn't tech illiterate anymore. And frankly most people find extreme cynicism toxic and don't even view it as a possible ideology, well honk honk. We are all jokers and we gotta rise up

memes then
>pic related

Attached: 1374287134370.jpg (1191x670, 265K)

anti-humor became mainstream after regular humor become overused and lame

Dunno why but this pic always cracks me up

Attached: rat.png (500x502, 114K)

lmao me too
I don't know what makes it so funny

Attached: friends.jpg (960x804, 50K)

fucking THIS

orangina

non-sequitur humor
its alright

This template never gets old

Those are actually poorly adapted memes under meme theory.

A meme that can't spread is like a set of genes that can't reproduce. It's doomed.