Do you need to do hypertrophy if you want to build strength? I've been focusing on 5 rep lifts for more than a year...

Do you need to do hypertrophy if you want to build strength? I've been focusing on 5 rep lifts for more than a year, and in spite of changing variables (weight/intensity, number of sets, rest), I've been plateauing hard. Should I start doing 9-12 reps?

Attached: k4qcwxroe4e31.jpg (960x531, 60K)

Other urls found in this thread:

ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/m/pubmed/24714538/
strongerbyscience.com/hypertrophy-range-fact-fiction/
t-nation.com/training/how-to-use-linear-periodization
strongerbyscience.com/periodization-data
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

You can increase volume without increasing reps per set. If you're on 3x5 consider switching to 5x5. If you need more.

I think I read somewhere that 60-90 reps per weeks is around optimal for hypertrophy which can be obtained by a 5x5 set for each muscle group 3 times a week.

yes.

Just lift. All this gay science stuff is retarded and probably wrong. The "I fucking love science" types on reddit like Greg Nuckols or those people who follow routines that require you to use newtonian mechanics and some gay math equation to figure out the number of reps (ex:nsuns, gzclp or ppl) are retards who cope with their complex routine cause of their shit tier genetics.

Just phukin lift. Full body everyday. One set per exercise.

or do a traditional 3 day full body with about 3-5 sets per exercise and some pushups and pullups as well as stretching on the off days

based chad

Doing only 5x5 is a big meme. Ive been training for strength for like 3 or 4 years. Its good for beginners but its really hard to progress later on unless u modify only 2 or 3 sets and then the remaining amount after a certain time. For me what works best is like 3 to 4 sets to reach the weight as a warm up then about 12- 14 sets of mixing 5 rep maxes , 3 rep maxes and the last 3 or 4 sets isometric holds

>good for beginners
>is a meme
Choose one, faggot

Alan Thrall recently did a video where he reckons you should do both for strength if you're plateauing.

If you are a beginner youre a meme

>alan thrall

Attached: 595.gif (200x200, 3.97M)

So something like this?
A: Full body routine 1 (strength)
B: Full body routine 1 (volume)
A: Full body routine 2 (strength)
B: Full body routine 2 (volume)

ABxCDxx

bump

Yeah dude. All things being equal, a bigger muscle is a stronger muscle.

Volume is a basic element of training

You can't just ignore it

Not that I blame you, rippetoe and his ilk make you believe you'll be jacked and benching 3plate just by following a 3x5 or something

Volume is the main driver of hypertrophy, rep ranges won’t change much unless you’re comparing 40 rep sets to 3 rep sets. However, most people choose higher rep sets for hypertrophy because it’s easier to hit higher volume with those rep ranges. For example, 7x3 is equal to 3x7 in total volume but 3x7 is way easier to do in a shorter time frame. Although you’re lifting more weight with 7x3, it should balance out if effort/RPE is matched. Finally, neurological adaptation will be more significant with the rep range you choose. Powerlifters will drop volume and raise intensity/load up to singles and doubles in a linearly periodized program in order to improve neurological efficiency with 1 rep maxes. Keep that in mind if you want to raise your 1 rep maxes although most powerlifters use higher rep ranges off season and peak to their true potential 2-3 times a year.

How is 7x3 equal to 3x7? The common wisdom is that 1-5 reps is strength, 5-12 is hypertrophy. Doesn't 7 reps tax your muscles in a different way than 3 reps? i.e. different muscles being recruited through the set as fatigue builds up

Do doggcrapp. It's based as fuck

ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/m/pubmed/24714538/
strongerbyscience.com/hypertrophy-range-fact-fiction/

It’s essentially like I said, volume is the main driver of growth. Choosing a rep range is about two things 1. Realistic session duration (3x7 is faster) and 2. What you want to be good at (if you only train win 12 rep sets, you’ll be better at 12 rep sets than someone who only does triples and vice versa). Keeping reps under 15 will mostly lead to the same result in terms of hypertrophy assuming volume and RPE is matched. However, high rep ranges are easier when doing more volume. Lower rep ranges will improve neurological adaptation for your 1RM though. That’s why powerlifters in the offseason will do lower intensity work with higher reps to more easily make it through higher volume sessions. They will then raise intensity and lower volume steadily to improve their body’s neurological adaptation or muscle fiber recruitment of the muscle gained from the high volume phases which will lead to a higher 1RM.

That's a lot of words just to say you can't count.

Based

I recommend looking into periodization, specifically linear/traditional periodizaion since it’s proven in studies and by numerous elite powerlifters. It will help you squeeze out some more gains without raising volume to an absurd amount.
t-nation.com/training/how-to-use-linear-periodization
strongerbyscience.com/periodization-data

Just keep pushing yourself harder stack on some extra weight but don’t hurt yourself

>DOOOOD JUST BE A DYEL LIKE ME BRO

How do you progress in your lifts? I do 3x5 and when I do let's say 185 bench successfully I try for 190 next time but then I fail. Then I drop back to 185 and then now I can only do 3x4 of 185. Now I'm struggling to get back to 185

Attached: 20171201_103828.png (1440x1424, 1.91M)

Post body

Do 3x5 at 185 then next time do 3x8-12 at 160. Add weight to the former (2.5 lbs when you can) and reps to the latter. Also add weighted dips and some DB bench, primarily incline. That should help you get to the 200s