Running

When does it stop hurting?

Ran 2 miles. 10 min mile. Pure pain. How do people enjoy this

Attached: 72B6A1F8-762F-4581-AE82-56260BE50840.jpg (968x681, 49K)

Other urls found in this thread:

ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/25951917
bjsm.bmj.com/content/51/4/211
t-nation.com/training/4-most-damaging-types-of-training
hopkinsmedicine.org/health/treatment-tests-and-therapies/knee-replacement-surgery-procedure
youtube.com/watch?v=ql1W1prs3HU
lermagazine.com/article/the-lower-limb-and-knee-account-for-75-of-musculoskeletal-injuries-in-todays-military
stoneclinic.com/blog/Military-Knees
jama.jamanetwork.com/article.aspx?articleid=403120
ajs.sagepub.com/content/18/4/379.short
ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/16790540
ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/18550323
ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/9489830
youtube.com/watch?v=yBVyqK2IW_g
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

It stops hurting when your heart and lungs get used to being mobile at a pace faster than a slow walk.

Don't fucking run two miles when you're bad/new at running, and certainly don't try to do it fast.

Do 30/60 circuits and short sprints, and if you do want to do a distance run, do it at a jog, not a full run.

Just like weights and strength, your body takes time to adapt. Study how to breathe properly, there's different methods that work for some people, and don't for others. Cardiovascular health is not a meme, but it is hard to get.

I recommend c25k to anyone beginning running. Yes it feels stupid to be walking so much on a run but it works. I started it over 3 months ago and I did over 9 miles this morning. And it felt great.

Don't run.

Simple as that.

Your risk of injury is absurd and insane. You could look at the literature or you literally could just hang out with a dozen people who have been running competitively in amateur shit. "Muh IT band"
"oh I tore my acl and they had to do surgery to put in cadaver tissue and I spent months in rehab. I'm running again but I guess it just isn't the same" *sips*

"Oh yeah I broke my toe blah blah"

And they'll all be horribly sun-damaged too

I'm on week 3 and this shit is starting to get hard, unexpectedly I'm having fun though.

Don't lift.

Simple as that.

Your risk of injury is absurd and insane. You could look at the literature or you literally could just hang out with a dozen people who have been lifting competitively in amateur shit. "Muh rotator cuff"
"oh I got tendon damage and they had to do surgery to put in cadaver tissue and I spent months in rehab. I'm lifting again but I guess it just isn't the same" *sips*

"Oh yeah I tore my bicep blah blah"

And they'll all be horribly vitamin d3-deficient too

ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/25951917
bjsm.bmj.com/content/51/4/211

Really makes you think.

"7.7 (95% CI 6.9-8.7) in recreational runners."
"1.0–4.4 injuries/1000hours of training in powerlifting."
Injury rate is very similar.

Then you have to ask what exactly constitutes a running-related injury. One of the studies included (by Malisoux) defines a running-related injury as:
"RRI was defined as a physical pain or complaint located at the lower limbs or lower back region, sustained during or as a result of running practice and impeding planned running activity for at least 1 day."
This is tantamount to calling muscle soreness after a bodybuilding session an injury.

Besides that, high injury rate in NOVICE runners is irrelevant, novice lifter injury rate is likely identical.

seriously though, don't run

Just swim. If you want to be on a road, go hiking or biking.

Stick with it user keep up the good work

When you're normal weight

Based and fattypilled

Just neglect the exercise that literally makes us human bro

MAKE SURE YOU'RE RUNNING ON YOUR FOREFOOT

Enjoy your rotator cuff surgery by the time you're 35

That is the reason that most people run, it is painful and you get satisfaction from getting through that pain.
Of course once you are conditioned you can just run at an easy pace but what is the fun in that?
I can tell you however that once you start running on a regular basis you get into the flow state where you are just in the moment and not focused on your pain, which is really enjoyable and good time to think.

The 4 Most Damaging Types of Training | T Nation
t-nation.com/training/4-most-damaging-types-of-training

> Most Debilitating: Running
>
> Ah running... the most widely practiced physical activity in the world with nearly two billion people jiggling their way to a body only a mother could love. From those staggering numbers it's confirmed that we, as an industry, have failed the general gluten-free cupcake eating public.
>
> Let's be honest, in 2014, it's pretty damn hard to make CrossFit look like the less shitty alternative to an unsafe and ineffective form of training. Though CrossFit is gaining ground, the overall numbers don't lie. For every one bandwagoning CrossFitter flopping around on the pull-up bar, there are 800 people consciously working their way towards metabolic syndrome accompanied by a total knee replacement, one painful step at a time.
>
> Running is the most popular and most debilitating form of exercise. Up to 80% of runners are in pain on any given run, no matter the distance, intensity, or course.

There was a thread like this with the last week, and I'll repeat a piece of advice that I gave there: Knee surgeons privately tell friends and family "DON'T RUN".

user, if your pain after running is only lung/breathing/heart rate related, then you can adapt to that. If you have pain in joints or back, then it isn't about muscles or lungs. Your ligaments and tendons are suffering overuse damage, which eventually leads to overuse injury. Think about this for one second. If a casual little 10 minute run is causing an overuse injury, then maybe that exercise FUCKING SUCKS for your body. Yes, running (like any similiar type of cardio exercise) has great benefits from a certain fitness perspective. But it doesn't have great benefits from a "won't damage your body" perspective.

I love running more than anything else for my health and wellness. I genuinely feel bad for those that can't run at least a 10k at conversation pace without issue.

>person lifts weights for the first time
>gets DOMS
>complains about it on fit: when does it stop hurting?
>welp guess lifting weights FUCKING SUCKS for your body!

More like:
>person lifts weights for the first time
>tendon and joint inflammation
>welp, I guess I should keep doing it. These tissues respond to stress the exact same way as muscles, right? And I feel good when my muscles are sore after a workout, so why shouldn't I just learn to feel good about other parts of my body hurting?

Knee Replacement Surgery Procedure | Johns Hopkins Medicine
hopkinsmedicine.org/health/treatment-tests-and-therapies/knee-replacement-surgery-procedure
> What is a knee replacement surgery?
>
> Knee replacement, also called knee arthroplasty or total knee replacement, is a surgical procedure to resurface a knee damaged by arthritis. Metal and plastic parts are used to cap the ends of the bones that form the knee joint, along with the kneecap. This surgery may be considered for someone who has severe arthritis or a severe knee injury.
>
> Various types of arthritis may affect the knee joint. Osteoarthritis, a degenerative joint disease that affects mostly middle-aged and older adults, may cause the breakdown of joint cartilage and adjacent bone in the knees. Rheumatoid arthritis, which causes inflammation of the synovial membrane and results in excessive synovial fluid, can lead to pain and stiffness. Traumatic arthritis, arthritis due to injury, may cause damage to the cartilage of the knee.
>
> The goal of knee replacement surgery is to resurface the parts of the knee joint that have been damaged and to relieve knee pain that cannot be controlled by other treatments.

Total Knee Replacement - YouTube
youtube.com/watch?v=ql1W1prs3HU

Attached: knee-replacement.png (1920x1080, 693K)

the human body may have evolved solely for the purpose of endurance running but my cousin ran once and died of shin splints

> Running is the most debilitating form of exercise.
Whoever wrote this has never been on a hike with an infantry platoon.

Attached: pict215.jpg (1152x1714, 297K)

Yotta mix things up. Back in undergrad I got into running but it was all I did, and I remember I plateaued at 2 miles for a long, long time. This time around I started C25K and began to plateau around the same point but I coincidentally started doing intense Muay Thai. Blasted through the 5K run last night and I have been skipping most of the running sessions in the app. My plan now is to continue on to 10K but only having an actual distance run once a week. Like next weekend I'll do a week 9 run, then the weekend after that week 10, then week 11, and so on. Point is that just trying to hammer away at distance isn't the quickest way to improve stamina.

Running is a ton of fun, though. Greatest endorphin high of my life was getting dumped in undergrad and then running an unplanned half marathon the next day. Wasn't good for my body, but I couldn't have felt happier than the moment I finished that run.

The lower limb and knee account for >75% of musculoskeletal injuries in today’s military. | Lower Extremity Review Magazine
lermagazine.com/article/the-lower-limb-and-knee-account-for-75-of-musculoskeletal-injuries-in-todays-military
> Osteoarthritis is among the leading causes of disability in the United States [...]
>
> That problem is mirrored and amplified in the military, a unique segment of the population that relies heavily on physical fitness and ability. “OA is the leading cause of disability discharge from the military,” said Kenneth Cameron, PhD, MPH, ATC, FNATA, director of Orthopaedic Research at Keller Army Community Hospital, West Point, NY. Indeed, the lower limb and particularly the knee account for more than 75% of military-related musculoskeletal injuries.
>
> [...] the disease often strikes soldiers earlier than it would civilians.
>
> The physical requirements of military service likely contribute to the high rate of OA, said Michael Langworthy [...] Service members face stringent fitness requirements, so obesity and carrying excess body weight—a well-known risk factor for OA3—is not generally a concern. “But the average sailor deploys wearing body armor,” Langworthy said. “That can weigh anywhere from 70 to 100 pounds.” That load, he said, puts pressure on the joints in the lower body, similar to what obesity does.

Military Knees | The Stone Clinic
stoneclinic.com/blog/Military-Knees
> War—and training for war—is hard on knees. Much of what soldiers endure is also familiar to professional athletes. The level of intensity, the extra poundage, the strenuous tasks and long hours can all produce injuries to the ligaments, cartilage and bone. Such injuries, as we know, can lead to arthritis.

What should my carido be than if running is bad? Can I do sprints to the top of a small hill its like 6 meter tall. Or should I do swimming because a closed swimming pool is like 15 min away from my house

>the human body may have evolved solely for the purpose of endurance running but my cousin ran once and died of shin splints
That's because humans have adapted to barefoot running, not running shoes

I‘m not a nigger though

I never run more than 30 minutes at a time (15 minutes post weight training workout - 2 x 15 mins on non-lifting days).

Get my heart rate above 165 BPM for 3-5 minutes, then get my BPM back down to 125-130 and then "sprint" again (only running 15 km/h).

Am I still fucking up my joints?

>enlist in military 6'0" on the nose
>after 5 years as an 0331, now a hair less than 5'11"

At least my back, shoulders, and knees are more or less fine. Most of my old military buddies are having problems with them now that we are hitting our 30s. Although I have a suspicion that many of them are just milking it for the sweet disability govbux.

Attached: 27854_soldiers.jpg (2100x1400, 427K)

>c25k
>each "week" takes me a month to complete
help pls

Check out spin classes. It's great low impact cardio. At my gym, the female:male ratio is like 8:1 and theres tons of fit qts.

>used to run 5 days a week, mileage @ 50mpw
>got burned out
>started doing 3 days a week, but doing doubles on two of the days, milrage still the same
>still fatigued but not burned out
>beat marathon PR by 30 minutes
>started strength training and crosstraining on the other two days
>PR again by 15 minutes
Is doing doubles literally the secret, runbros?

When I started training to run before the Navy, basic advice was:
-Try to run for 5 minutes without stopping
-Move to 10
-Move to 20
-Move to 30

Make sure your running shoes are adequate, you'll get injured if they're worn out. Also lose weight fatty, after I dropped 20 lbs this summer in setting PRs better than boot camp ten years ago

Attached: Screenshot_20190809-172854.jpg (1079x224, 38K)

but it's not.

checkmate faggot

When did running threads come back? Haven't seen one in awhile. Since I'm here:

jama.jamanetwork.com/article.aspx?articleid=403120
>We did not find an increased prevalence of osteoarthritis among the runners. Our observations suggest, within the limits of our study, that long-duration, high-mileage running need not be associated with premature degenerative joint disease in the lower extremities.

ajs.sagepub.com/content/18/4/379.short
>a lifetime of long distance running at mileage levels comparable to those of recreational runners today is not associated with premature osteoarthrosis in the joints of the lower extremities

ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/16790540
>Long-distance running might even have a protective effect against joint degeneration

ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/18550323
>Long-distance running among healthy older individuals was not associated with accelerated radiographic OA. These data raise the possibility that severe OA may not be more common among runners.

ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/9489830
>The presence of radiographic hip OA and the progression of radiographic knee OA was similar for older runners and nonrunners.

At least I can walk up a set of stairs without having a heart attack, faggot.

Attached: soy.jpg (1000x750, 129K)

Im only running to get some cardio. I started playing hockey 3-4 times / week and took a while to get cardio enough not to die after a pick up game.

I know youre supposed to do HIIT but i have this idea that i will also benefit from being able to run3 miles a couple times a week no problem to help my hockey cardio

i run 2 miles 4x per week on a track
i am working up to 3 miles 4x per week

>tfw broken toe
fuck bros I want to run so bad

also as far as running injuries go, its like any other kind of training in which you need to start small and let your body adjust. try to stick to running on a track or outdoors on dirt / grass, much better for your knees than running on hard concrete.

Running chad checking it.

It never stops hurting, but eventually, you choose to stop being weak. Distance running is the physical acceptance that you are in hell and understanding that you are mentally stronger than it. The reason you struggle is because a part of your conscience is a weak failure and you haven't purged it yet.

Accept the pain, accept the burning. And move past it.

Attached: Screenshot_20190811-185142_Samsung Health.jpg (1080x2220, 325K)

I used to run competitively and was in amazing shape (better than any of you faggots on this board). I did a half iron man without training the swim or bike and got 2nd for my age group.

Anyways, I never got injured from running once. If you're not an idiot you won't get injured. Definitely safer than people doing deadlifts and shit.

Is it normal to feel like dogshit after a long run?

Take the Bike-Pill

>Running chad
>3.28 miles in 30 minutes

Attached: 1381736916860.jpg (308x297, 18K)

Been trying to run everyday, 5k at least. Had to take 2 days off cuz I wasn't able to sleep properly (working nights) got back to it today and my run was scuffed to shit only able to complete 2.5k before I was too gassed. Shit sucks but I will continue.

thanks for reading my blog and remember to stretch

This, I can burn 1200 calories cycling while barely breaking a sweat when burning 200 through running feels like death

Thanks, user. You're good people.

It's in the middle of 10.7 miles you fucking nigger. You have to slow the pace when you get into double digits.

Yes it is. It beats you up. Be sure to eat lots of carbs and sugar afterwards. Stretch out too.

This. Those 60-90 minute runs are prime thinking/meditation time.

It's called discomfort not pain

What's good cross training to do?

Am I even supposed to do cross training?

Running is fucking gay and boring but I do it 3 times a week anyway.

Based and gay pilled

Helps you continue building your aerobic capacity while allowing your muscles to rest from the high impact pounding. You do it if you want to or need to sub out running to rest a bit more. Usually cited are cycling, swimming, water running, ellipitcal, and rowing. Anything aerobic will work though. It's just that runners tend to be autistic and want their crosstraining to be as close to running as possible.

This kek
Also, most runners are scrawny fucks that do no strength training whatsoever, so obviously their bodies can't handle the mileage on the long-term.

To OP: it stops hurting as you get fitter. Just don't quit and you'll be good.

A year and 2 months ago I ran 16km in a race and nearly blew my freaking knee off (previous longest run had been 10k). Just kept doing it. Last march I did a marathon sub 4 hours. Now I'm running 40-60k/wk to prepare for a 75k ultra on november.

Still an amateur fuck, but a noticeable improvement.

Oh, and zero injuries from running all this time.
So ignore the fat fucks that tell you you'll get injured if you run. Just google "good running technique", strength train and progressively increase your mileage. Most people don't and that's why they get injured.

are you fat?
I’ve seen untrained people run 1.5 in 9

>thought I could easily run 5km in 23 minutes based on my GPS
>try to run the same pace on a treadmill
>almost die
>have to drop it back to 26 minutes while still almost dying
Who's more likely to be wrong here, the treadmill or the GPS?

Runners are dumb fucks who push themselves into, through and beyond injuries by overtraining and/or not stretching enough and/or resting enough and/or eating good enough. It's the price you pay with a mindest that pushes for better PRs consitently. If you keep it at decent paces and distances 40-45 10k (as PR not training rin) and aren't insanely retarded there isn't anymore risk than in lifting.
t. runner that had fasciitis, ITBS and all kinds of minor problems
Not going to stop though, I learn from mistakes and get better.

GPS can be very inaccurate even with GLONASS enabled. Treadmill is easier by assisting in leg turnover, which can help you with speed drills and cadence. It also provides a bouncier surface, so you are taking away some of the hard impact. You also have zero headwind to deal with. Take it how you like.

If you have a proper GPS device, the treadmill is most likely wrong.

This pretty much, but as was mentioned, stretching and strength training can help a lot along with crosstraining. What helps best is learning the source of the injury. For me, my posterior tibilis came from doing too many hills and unstable surfaces like trails. Thus, I have to avoid them as much as possible. Its been my only injury. Its more about being smart like you said and not pushing through injury.

Treadmill is always going to be easier, so your GPS is wrong if you are struggling with it. The only reason I would use a treadmill is if your neighbourhood is likely to find you stabbed or shot by a retard.

Breathing is the key. Three steps breathe in, two steps breathe out.

not him, but after a couple years of not doing any cardio and only lifting weights, despite staying lean, I went from being able to run a 5:30 mile, to not even being able to complete half a mile

>be a smoker
>have better cardio numbers than most my friends
How many years do I have?

>4 days of the week I run 20 minutes
>2 days of the week I run 30 minutes
Am I overrunning?
I run a pace between 8:20-9:00

I jump rope. It's fun.

Sorry to break it to you, but you’re shit at running.

ITT: Brainlets who don't understand that you're not supposed to keep running if it starts to hurt.

>weakness detected

>not taking your cellphone and playing your celine dion greatest hits while running

>OMG user listens to music while running!
>he must be so bored with himself to have to do that!

Attached: 8.jpg (852x480, 37K)

This track gets me hype going up hill

youtube.com/watch?v=yBVyqK2IW_g

Just do Calisthenics outdoors

Attached: 9go8yUS.jpg (1181x864, 130K)

I signed up for my company's 401k, but I don't think I can run so far! Any tips?

Attached: 1563259334392.jpg (736x1104, 130K)

Just ran 4km for the first time, so happy about it.

Attached: s9NR21p.png (800x800, 144K)

Grats user!!! 5k next week?

Eventually it becomes a fucking addiction. I missed a run yesterday and I feel like a drug addict or something

>Enlist at 5'3"
>4 years later be 5'4"
The military doesn't shrink, grow, fatten, thin, break, or repair. It equalizes.

I'm definitely gonna try.

I played soccer for years with no pain. Started training on a track for 5k. Pure pain and hard decisions between heavy squats and diddlys versus running. Improved my time from 25min to 22min though. Sometimes I think about Rock Lee or Vegeta to get through the runs. Works for me desu. Keep at it anons. We're all going to make it.

You're running too fast. But even when you're fully conditioned it will usually take a while to get into the zone (not necessarily talking about a runner's high). I need to run for about 15 min to really get into it. Just keep at it user.

based

They usually get burried rather quickly by the 'lifting for women' crowd who spam the entire board with their shitty Jow Forums mindset to fitness.

Attached: 52302876_1266377306843891_1759678350047666247_n.jpg (1054x1054, 73K)

No. That means your weekly mileage is shit. I used to be absolutely destroyed after my weekend long runs of ~15k. Of course I only ran 6-8k during the week. Awful, awful, practice. Now I've upped my weekly mileage to ~40k and my long run in the weekend is 25-30k. I feel absolutely fine, except for a little soreness from fatigue. However, I've completely recovered by the evening (I run in the morning). Also, don't run too fast during your long runs.

itll get hard then easy, keep at it

Switch to cycling. It is actually enjoyable.

This but unironically. I have a friend who used to be a fat fuck and now he’s all obsessed with running and what not.

He’s injured his back from running so much lately with a 45lbs weighted vest but he keeps saying “CANT STOP ME HUR” and keeps doing it. I think he listens to Goggins too much

>this kills the knees
>this kills the back
>welcome to snap city sir how can I help you

Attached: 78F48D1D-910B-430D-BC55-7A60352FCDC0.jpg (500x396, 31K)

Why the fuck would you run with extra weight? Thats turbo levels of retarded. Rucking is dumb, but actually RUNNING with extra weight...just wow.

>10.78 mi in 103.35 min
>that pace is a half marathon in 2:05:xx
pretty average time brah, he could be doing a hell of a lot worse

It's fine, but even if it was really slow, what does it really matter. Some people are gifted, some just have to put in a lot of effort. All that matters is that you just keep improving by becoming better each month.

Huh?? What did you do for warmup and cooldown during those years??

Attached: 1557508251957.png (638x473, 557K)

You're fine as long as you got there on a solid foundation. Men have trained over 200mi/wk. Just have to increase gradually (

My post long run (20-30mile) routine was to chug a gatorade, refill with water, take a shower while stretching, eating a clif bar (before I was woke to soý) and sipping water. Then collapse into bed.
I would sometimes fall asleep in the shower.

Whatever works for you man, I start out at 2 in/2 out, then switch to 1/1 once I feel warmed up

Why run when you can lift? Cardio is fucking gay.

Never done c25k myself, but I think a common problem is people running way too fast thus getting overwhelmed by fatigue and lactic acid.

What's holding you back, legs or lungs?