STARTING STRENGTH

umm where the fuck are back exercises in SS?

Attached: 1535209552723.png (920x509, 19K)

>what is a deadlift
>what is a powerclean

??

this, OP is retarded

Not general back exercises, that's for sure.

Program needs rows or pull ups.

Also weighted dips > bench anyhow.

>What is upper back
>What is upper back
>What is upper back
>What is upper back

>Dip instead of bench

retarded faggot nigger worthless nigger

Attached: D0QzmV6W0AIBHaY-orig.jpg (2048x1411, 258K)

Dude, just add chin ups 1-2 per week.

And add dips on ohp day while you're at it

You think doing 5 reps of deadlifts is a substitute for rows, pull ups etc?

Idiots.

well you're supposed to add chin-ups pretty quickly, so.... maybe you should have read the book?

Post body

In the first edition of the book chin ups are not there.

and? there have been two editions since that.

Don’t do starting strength unless you want to be a powerlifter. Otherwise I would add rows or lat pulldowns and forget cleans

because you're acting like it's an obvious thing but millions of people have done the original program without chin ups so tell me how they didn't neglect their back and stop tiptoeing around the fucking subject you either know the answer or don't

Post body

don’t argue with powerlifters, they are autistic

if you don't think deadlifts will strengthen your upper back idk what to tell you

You gotta throw some pullups in at the end. Or do em at the beginning during squat warmups. Though that will affect your pull. But squats will too. Might as well be tired all around

>upper back
Power cleans work your upper back you fucking brainlet. They are literally one of the best trap builders out there.

Also thr later phases of SS have chins too, which work your upper back.

That's why you read the book, it actually sugests you do a dynamic warm up, and throw in dips, pull ups, core work and cardio (general physical work)also (If i remember well) says do curls on fridays

SS is supposed to be done for 3 months maximum you retards. The lack of back volume is literally irrelevant since we're talking about noobs, not experienced lifters.

Attached: freakishly-huge-bodybuilders-who-hardly-ever-compete1-1525426511.jpg (500x500, 52K)

Natty?

Yup, vegan too.

If you don't achieve this in 2 years of natty lifting, you're ngmi and might as well start hrt

Practical Programming Novice Program is better than base SS. I don't know why it isn't discussed more as a beginner routine.

Monday
> Squat 3x5
> Bench or OHP (alternate) 3x5
> Chins 3x5

Wednesday
> Squat 3x5
> Deadlift 1x5

Friday
> Squat 3x5
> Pull Ups 3x5

Because they were doing deadlifts. Name one muscle of the back that isn't trained by deadlifts. Chin-ups were added later because they are an accessory you can use to improve your deadlifts while decreasing deadlift frequency and therefore prolonging LP. Read the book idiot.

OP here I am literally doing this but I want to know why the original program without chinups is the "main" one.

In my opinion?

Because 1) it is based on a program for football players and 2) when SS really started getting popular was right around the time CrossFit was booming and half-assed Oly lifts really appeal to CrossFit people. They love picking up a barbell overhead with 25 lb plates that look like 45 lb plates and then slamming it down LIKE A BAWS!!!!

If you don't like power cleans, don't fucking do them. Do chins or rows instead, they're both good "big money" compound exercises that improve your strength/physique. I doubt there are many guys out there doing weighted chins with 90 lbs. hanging from their waist who don't have a solid physique.

Fair enough that makes sense.

I do pull ups with two plate and don't look that impressive.

Weight to power ratio is higher for skinnier, leaner people.

That's why you read the book, it actually doesn't suggest any of those things. Rip only wants you to add chin-ups at most, and he wants you to warmup with the empty barbell and only mentions an excercise bike or rower if the gym is very cold. Rip also dislikes cardio and core work so I'm not sure where you got that from.

Not that I agree with Rip on these things, nor do I think The Book is at all necessary for a beginner.

I don't think that argument works in your favor when you're only doing 1-2 sets of deadlift a week. Mention the chin-ups sure, but the deadlift doesn't do much for your back at such low volumes.

How do you even? Granted I've never maxed but I know I can do about 5 strict chin ups with 45 lbs hanging off my nuts. I can also do 25+ consecutive unweighted chin ups/pull ups.

I just don't see how you can do a 90 lb weighted pull up without having huge fucking lats and being able to do like 35 pullups desu.

>power cleans are a substitute for heavy chins and rows

NO

SS has chin-ups, pull-ups, deadlifts, power cleans and back extensions

I've been climbing for a decade and lifting for longer and always done a lot of pull ups.

I've done up to 18 with a plate, from full extension. Back when I weighed 155 I could do 3-4 with two plates. Now I can do 4-8, at 188lbs. Getting bigger makes pull ups harder.