24 Autistic Questions About Gymnasium Pragmatics

I would like to begin lifting. I've hung out on Jow Forums for a while now, and while I have some general ideas of what to do at the gym, I still have many questions about etiquette and extremely low level practical concerns. I'm not actually entirely autistic, but I need things explained to me as if I were. I don't know any gymbros who can walk me through this stuff in person, so I'm coming to you, my good friends who always encourage me and make me laugh.

Spotting:
Who asks whom for a spot? Friends, total strangers, swole guys, beginners?
Will I be asked to spot someone?
How do I spot someone?
Will I look like an autist/outsider if I ask/don't ask for a spot?
When does one ask for a spot?
Should a beginner always ask for someone to spot?
Are people at your gym generally willing to help out beginners?

(1/2)

Attached: apuu.png (680x521, 115K)

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=_0WxyKGD7sU
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

Equipment:
Do plates always have a home on a rack somewhere, or do they float between machines?
Is there ever a shortage of plates such that I have to ask people to share?
Do I loudly declare to the entire gym that I need plates, or should I quietly wait until I notice someone's done?
Is it intuitive to lock weights onto a barbell?
Is there any unintuitive equipment that I can make a fool out of myself by using incorrectly?
If there are no free benches and, for instance, if somebody's doing dumbell stuff on a bench, should I ask him to let me have the bench between his sets?
Are there machines where it's polite to leave them in a specific configuration when you're done?
If I need an occupied machine, how do I politely ask someone to let me on after he's done?
Should any bodyweight exercises be done at the gym, or should that be done at home instead?
Will I look like a bitch if I wipe down equipment with disinfectant before using it?
If I have a backpack of stuff, should it stay in a locker, or may I take it with me to wherever I'm working out?

Bathroom:
Do all gyms have lockers and showers?
If I need to use the bathroom, can I leave equipment set up (i.e. plates on a barbell) while I'm going to the bathroom? Even if it's crowded?
Do I need to get naked in a locker room to avoid looking like an insecure bitch?

Misc:
Will I look like a dipshit if I warm up or don't warm up?
What are the least crowded times and days to go to the gym that aren't between 00:00 and 05:30?
How do I make friends at the gym?
(2/2)

If someone asks you to spot them say you just started and don’t know how. When asking for a spot boomers are a good option since they’re there to mainly socialize I just set my safeties right though and if I’m benching I’ll do it with the clips off so I can tip off the weight. You can leave plates however you want and take them from any equipment not just in use. When going to the bathroom leave a water bottle or notebook on the equipment so people know it’s in use. No one care about what you wear in the locker room. Making friends in the gym is hard no one will even notice you until you’ve been working out there a couple years

Thank you for the helpful perspective.
You answered a lot of my unwritten followup questions at the same time.

Any other takers?

Attached: papooo.jpg (125x124, 2K)

Just be yourself

Attached: 1484150250060.jpg (1024x764, 104K)

the least crowded is 9pm onward
no one is going to care what you wear or what you do

I've been going for over a year, last night after face pulls I wanted to do dead hangs so since I was on the cable machien already and theres a pull up bar on the top I went to jump and grab it but I'm short and I didn't make it, my fingers slipped and I fell on my ass and my phone and ID went flying out of my pocket, there were I think 2 other people there, I just got up and went over to the monkey bars where the bars are lower to the ground to do my thing, no big deal, and since I'm in shape and the floor is padded I didn't feel it at all

just giving you an example, I'd expect people to double over in laughter but it didn't seem to happen

I see. I'm probably overthinking shit.

Im bored, what the hell,
as a global preface, when you join the gym, they'll have someone show you around and you can straighten all this shit out for your local spot,
>larger equipment will have its own mounts for weights, squat racks, smith machines, cages, most others will be around the floor on mounts
>yes, but you don't really share, you can pull spare plates off of mounts on equipment, just do a courtesy check and ask them if they're gonna need the weights as they ramp up before you take them,
>neither, just look around and if you can't find the one you want free just do some arithmetic,
you shouldn't be really hard up for a plate though, it's never been a big deal for me,
>idk if it's intuitive, i clip squats deads and ohp, dont clip bench bars, it's better to be able to dump it
>yes, the hip abductors are a good meme sometimes, most have a picture

>if someones on a piece of equipment don't try to shoo them off it, just do something else and come back when it's open,
>if its a barbell, strip the weights and leave it clean, if it's late and night and everyone's big, its cool to leave 1 plate on it,
>Don't interrupt too hard, but making eye contact and asking somehow to let you know when they're done is normal,
>you can do em at home but at the gym is totally fine as well, most places will have mats for floor shit and stretching/planks,
>if it looks sweaty, no, but I only clean after myself, people at my spot are pretty good at cleaning up after themselves, your mileage may vary,
>stays in locker, most places bar bags from the floor cuz weights walk out the door in them

(showers)
>no but most do, you'll have to check out your own spot
>try to go between exercises, if you leave mid sets and someone is waiting just come back after and go back and forth with them while you rest, this is pretty typical
>no, most guys stick to boxers or run some mild level of modesty getting changed,
>you wont look like too much of a dipshit until you pull something, then yes,
>later in the evening, 9pm on is pretty quiet
>idk, I just say whats up to people, you get to know them eventually if you have consistent schedules,

yeah you're overthinking the fuck out of it,
get a good podcast and do a little cardio time and just check the place out, see how everyone else works out and interacts if you're unsure about it,
autists lift too, don't sweat it,

>Who asks whom for a spot? Friends, total strangers, swole guys, beginners?
Anyone nearby that doesn't look overly busy. You don't need someone swole, anyone who can one rep curl 20lb is enough for 99% of people benching
>Will I be asked to spot someone?
Doubt it
>How do I spot someone?
Help them if they fail/get their arms in position, just ask them what they want you to do
>Will I look like an autist/outsider if I ask/don't ask for a spot?
No but don't ask if you really need one which at a beginniner-intermediate level you won't. You can always ask someone to check your form if needed, that won't be weird
>When does one ask for a spot?
See above
>Should a beginner always ask for someone to spot?
No, you need to make sure your form is good, you're not lifting enough weight to hurt yourself/be unable to roll of shame
>Are people at your gym generally willing to help out beginners?
Yes but keep it to 30+ males when possible

Cont

>if there are no free benches and, for instance, if somebody's doing dumbell stuff on a bench, should I ask him to let me have the bench between his sets?
Yes
>Are there machines where it's polite to leave them in a specific configuration when you're done?
The only machines you should generally use are pulley based and generally you'll only swap attachments and weight takes a second change. You can leave those however but put free weights away when applicable
>If I need an occupied machine, how do I politely ask someone to let me on after he's done?
"hey how many sets do you have left?"
>Should any bodyweight exercises be done at the gym, or should that be done at home instead?
Home except warmups
>Will I look like a bitch if I wipe down equipment with disinfectant before using it
No
>If I have a backpack of stuff, should it stay in a locker, or may I take it with me to wherever I'm working out?
If it's one of those gym sacks or a similar size sure, I'd lock up a full size backpack or bigger
>Bathroom:
>Do all gyms have lockers and showers?
No
>If I need to use the bathroom, can I leave equipment set up (i.e. plates on a barbell) while I'm going to the bathroom? Even if it's crowded?
If you're still intending on using it and will be back within a couple minutes yes
>Do I need to get naked in a locker room to avoid looking like an insecure bitch?
No, I always change under a towel and rarely see dongs
>Misc:
>Will I look like a dipshit if I warm up or don't warm up?
Not really
>What are the least crowded times and days to go to the gym that aren't between 00:00 and 05:30
Whenever people are at work
>How do I make friends at the gym?
You probably won't, but your best chance is sticking to a schedule so you see the same people

Sent stuff out of order

>Do plates always have a home on a rack somewhere, or do they float between machines?
Depends on layout, usually it's nearby
>Is there ever a shortage of plates such that I have to ask people to share?
Yes but you usually work in if possible or wait for/work around the lack of weights
>Do I loudly declare to the entire gym that I need plates, or should I quietly wait until I notice someone's done?
Above but you can always ask how many sets they have left and keep in the general area if not long
>Is it intuitive to lock weights onto a barbell?
Everyone argues about it, I prefer it and you won't need to toss it to the side to deload unless doing a shitton of weight without a spotter (enough that you couldn't roll out)
>Is there any unintuitive equipment that I can make a fool out of myself by using incorrectly?
Yes but most of it's useless. Again be triple checking form for any exercise by googling it on your phone. The non useless machines are mostly cable based with attachments, don't use the smith machine ever for anything besides calf raises

The most important thing I should mention is unless you're being an obnoxious retard (you wouldn't be if you had enough self awareness to make this thread) or really fucking an exercise up nobody is looking at you or thinking about you

Wow that's a really comprehensive goldmine of answers. And you've answered a lot of followup questions I had.
Thank you user.
Have a duck.

Attached: 1548363657867.jpg (600x450, 126K)

anyone can ask anyone else for a spot, but friends or acquaintances are preferred
you won’t be asked to spot someone unless either you look like you know what you’re doing, or the gym is empty and the dude is desperate
you spot someone’s bench by standing over their head ready to grab the bar and pull it up if they fail. you spot someone’s squat by standing behind them ready to grab the bar and pull it up if they fail. don’t touch it unless either they yell for help or the bar moves downwards
nobody will care, if you’re a beginner you shouldn’t be using weights heavy enough to need a spot
you ask for a spot when you’re ready to do your set, bar is loaded, chalk applied, fully rested etc
no
yes

I just like helping anyone who will listen and has legitimate questions that are a bit more complicated than what's easily google-able

depends on gym, but usually yes. it shouldn’t be hard to figure out
only at a shit gym, 10kg plates are usually in short supply for some reason, but you can pretty much always make the weight you want with what’s lying around
wait quietly. if someone’s got two sets of 10s on the bar and there are spare 20s, you can ask them between sets if you can use the 10s and help him change the plates
yes
not really, you can always google how to use esoteric machines (and also nobody cares)
I wouldn’t, if I was doing db bench too I might ask to work in, but if I was doing bb bench I’d wait
not really
just say ‘hey you nearly done bro?’ and he’ll tell you how many sets left and you can camp out for a little
doesn’t matter, but if you pay for a gym membership and only do calisthenics you’re wasting money
nah not at all. do it before and after and management will love you
whichever, although a duffel is more convenient for gym stuff imo

every one I’ve ever been to yes
yeah that’s fine but don’t take ages and leave your stuff on the bench otherwise it might get taken
no

nobody will notice or care, you should warm up tho.
depends on the gym, but usually there’ll be a before work rush (like 6-8) and an after work rush (like 5-8). some gyms will get a lot of people at lunchtime. really depends on your gym and it’s location
I have never made a gym friend

good thread OP
here's some recommended viewing for gym newbies
youtube.com/watch?v=_0WxyKGD7sU

>Do plates always have a home on a rack somewhere, or do they float between machines?
They float but try to keep them on the right peg or at least keep all of the same weight on a single peg
>Is there ever a shortage of plates such that I have to ask people to share?
Not unless someone is being retarded using 4x10 instead of 35+5 or something
>Do I loudly declare to the entire gym that I need plates, or should I quietly wait until I notice someone's done?
Don't declare anything ever
>Is it intuitive to lock weights onto a barbell?
Yeah
>Is there any unintuitive equipment that I can make a fool out of myself by using incorrectly?
I honestly don't remember. Don't waste space in the power cage doing non barbell shit
>If there are no free benches and, for instance, if somebody's doing dumbell stuff on a bench, should I ask him to let me have the bench between his sets?
You can but most people will just wait. Depends on how socially retarded you are
>Are there machines where it's polite to leave them in a specific configuration when you're done?
If the machines have free plates then you should unrack them
1/2

Good shit, here's a (you).
More good shit thank you.

How the fuck can you need this much hand holding in life? How did you make it through high school?

>If I need an occupied machine, how do I politely ask someone to let me on after he's done?
"Hey mind if I work in?"
>Should any bodyweight exercises be done at the gym, or should that be done at home instead?
Do whatever you want just don't be in the way of equipment
>Will I look like a bitch if I wipe down equipment with disinfectant before using it?
Probably nobody will care but I've never seen this happen
>If I have a backpack of stuff, should it stay in a locker, or may I take it with me to wherever I'm working out?
This is a matter of opinion; I think you should put it in a locker unless you're gigachad and need chalk and other weird shit between sets

>Do all gyms have lockers and showers?
Probably
>If I need to use the bathroom, can I leave equipment set up (i.e. plates on a barbell) while I'm going to the bathroom? Even if it's crowded?
Put a towel / water bottle on the thing to keep your place. But if you're taking a shit don't be surprised if someone just moved your stuff anyway
>Do I need to get naked in a locker room to avoid looking like an insecure bitch?
Nobody cares
>Will I look like a dipshit if I warm up or don't warm up?
You should warm up for your own sake
>How do I make friends at the gym?
You don't unless you're Chad

I was homeschooled.

Attached: ez.jpg (400x400, 17K)

>What are the least crowded times and days to go to the gym that aren't between 00:00 and 05:30?

Search your gym on Google and check the Popular Times section.

Checked

That's actually pretty based dude, not gonna lie. You might be socially autistic but at least you don't have the mental scarring that years of schooling embeds in your brain.