Any former boozers here? Trying my best to quit so I can get fit. Seeking guidance

Any former boozers here? Trying my best to quit so I can get fit. Seeking guidance.

Attached: things-every-recovering-alcoholic-needs-to-do-2.jpg (2048x1583, 121K)

just stop.
what's so great about drinking anyway? serious question.

I probably have 3 drinks a year. I used to get shithoused in highschool and my freshman year of college, but that shits for kids.

A little over 2 weeks without a drink. Wasn't planning on making it permanent but I feel incredible. Physically, mentally, everything. My mood is much better and I have way more energy.

Just cut back to once a week, and keep it moderate. A glass of whiskey and a couple of pints on Friday or Saturday should keep you straight. Then just start skipping weekends until you are only getting a drop once a month. Then once every two months, and so on.

>what's so great about drinking anyway? serious question.

Nothing really, but when you're chemically dependent it's not as easy as "just stop".

My doses range from 8-10 hours, which is great considering I had to reuptake every 4 hours just a few months ago. I just need the swift kick in the ass to jump to 12+ hours, and then from there it should be a cake walk provided I don't relapse.

Going cold turkey might have severe repercussions; even life threatening, if you show withdrawal symptoms. Get informed on what the symptoms are and depending on their severity seek professional help.

There is no thing a chemical dependence, it's just a bad habit that you developed in order to cope with some deep seated issue. Figure out the issue otherwise you will revert to your addiction. Try to develop a routine and fill your time, being busy will keep you from thinking about drinking.

>There is no thing a chemical dependence

Working in healthcare, I have to disagree. The advise is no less sound though.

You don’t have to go cold turkey OP

>blacked out every weekend
>mental gains start to diminish after most of my high school gains have shriveled up
>35+ lbs skinny fat weight gain in 4 years
>can’t lift anywhere close to what I used to warm up with
>legal problems because of delinquency
>financial problems because of legal problems/not being able to hold down a job due to being a degenerate
>my friends are always wanting me to go out with them to drink, end up spending money I don’t have
>literally trapped in an unsustainable cycle
>stopped going out and hanging with friends
>started eating healthy again
>stopped heavy drinking
>occasionally drink to catch a slight buzz but limit myself to once a month
>drink less and less each time
>occasionally fall off the wagon but adjust and keep pushing
>stop falling off as often
>started working out again
>developed short and long term goals
>slowly but surely making progress
>get a second job to keep busy and help pay for legal expenses

Don’t get discouraged, we’re all gonna make it, stop making excuses, hold yourself accountable OP, don’t expect things to change right away

Attached: AEE81123-FD69-4099-A625-E7C72D004B1C.jpg (250x242, 7K)

As an alcoholic my experience is personal, but I've supported it by having looked at the rat experiments that created the perception of chemical dependence as well as the subsequent one that completely proves that social factors are the cause of addiction. Likely why people remiss on their sobriety if they don't deal with the core cause of their addiction.
But that's just my experience, I would be interested to hear why you're certain about chemical addiction.

my drinking got out of control. i was at about half a fifth of jack or vodka and 9 beers a night. i was getting panic attacks and gained a shit ton of weight. ive been sober a little over a year now and lost all the weight (over 100 lbs) I have way more energy get way more stuff done and my work performance is great now. If youre really tired of living the alchy life you can cold turkey it. get some taurine and melatonin to help with sleep and anxiety.

I've heard good things about kratom, send to work for some people and also is sort of an appetite suppressant so that's a plus

hell no. i heard this too and started using it. then i traveled out of the country where it wasnt available and started withdrawling hard. i wouldnt recommend it.

This

Went to AA. My sponsor said, “just don’t drink, you fucking idiot,” and I haven’t since.

It's quite simple really. Alcohol changes the balance of neurotransmitter chemicals like serotonin, dopamine, norepinephrine, etc. Alcohol slows the transmission neurons via these chemicals until your brain becomes used to the new levels. As you sober up, the transmitters return to normal levels.. but, if you're a chronic drinker you're no longer used to normal levels and this can have negative consequences like seizures or delirium tremens.

That's what chemical dependency is. A gradual re-balance of neurotransmitters via titration is needed in heavy drinkers or serious health risks are possible. That's why if you're unable to control yourself you should seek detox and medication assisted weening opposed to going it alone with a slow taper.

my psychiatrist offered me some drug to make me scared of alcohol or sth like that but i declined, but maybe you would be interested. also i didnt want to drink at all on venlafaxine, oddly enough it didnt work with other antidepressants i tried

Feels good
Only times I've been with a woman I was doing it
Only times I don't get in my own head and have fun at shows/parties etc was doing it
Get shakes and anxiety without it
Hmm wonder why

I quit smoking when my smoking friend went no contact so I get this

Mostly true. If you do it heavy enough long enough, alcohol is a cns depressant, the body is amazingly adaptable and will start to release a cns stimulant. The more you drink the more gets released, but if you quit and still get a megadose of the storm it can cause restlessness or up to a seizure

Inspiring. Good job user, keep going forward

Attached: 5F087183-4432-46B6-B6D8-95DDBE425451.jpg (2000x1404, 635K)

You don't need to take that much that often, just long enough to sleep at night when you stop drinking. I've gone through the withdraws for 100+gpd for 1.5y and it's not fun but shouldn't have any withdrawals if you only take 10g before going to bed for 2 weeks

there's no debating chemical addiction, user, no matter how degen or stupid you think it is. this is not to undermine the influence of social factors, nor is it to suggest they don't play a major role in alcoholism for a lot of people... but alcohol is one of the few drugs we know of that can literally kill you in withdrawal. which is to say, you can go from 15-25 drinks per day to 0, and without medical intervention, you will die. even quitting heroin cold turkey will not do this. (not to say heroin withdrawals aren't extremely painful.) lack of GABA production caused by alcoholism will cause the the brain to function at a dangerously high rate, because it is not suppressed by normal GABA control, causing seizures, cardiac failure, and/or death. it's simply not a matter of how you feel about it. i'd be more interested in hearing why you're less than certain about chemical addiction

AA/NA meetings, take it from there

You're welcome

no thank you, hand-holding, 12-step, kumbaya faggot.

stay mad :)

>bad breakup with this chick i really loved
>never had depression or anything like that before, was a pretty stable person
>fell right off the rocker, started taking shots of gin for breakfast
>spent new years crying and drinking
>2-3 months later friend becomes an alcoholic shitbag too
>look at him and feel complete disgust
>realize im just like him
>slowly quit
>have one beer every week or two now

fuck all that psychobabble bullshit, sometimes what you need to get things done is hatred and disgust

I’ve found my brain at night will begin to begin craving some sort of neurotransmitter release. I’ve drank for years, almost daily. If I wasn’t drinking I was smoking weed or something.

It’s been 2.5 weeks and I still crave “something.” Usually a hard lifting session or maybe a run will turn off the craving. I sleep a lot better and feel much healthier, but I still get the “give dopamine flood” signals every night.

I don't have any advice for you here. But I wanted to say that I believe in you and I want you to succeed. You're going to make it, user.

Attached: 1564288365350.jpg (768x1024, 184K)