Can you maintain a low fat/calorie recipe while cooking on cast iron?

>Can you maintain a low fat/calorie recipe while cooking on cast iron?

My wife and I generally cook pretty healthy, if we are going to cook some sauteed vegetables or ground meat I will often use nothing more than some canola oil spray on a non-stick pan to keep them from sticking. However with cast Iron you pretty much have to use a tablespoon or so of oil (which is 120 calories of pure fat) if you plan on something to not stick. So my question is, is there anyway to cook on cast Iron without needing these copious amounts of oil.

Attached: 81tP7xSNsFL._SL1500_.jpg (1500x836, 130K)

Other urls found in this thread:

amazon.com/Filippo-Berio-Extra-Virgin-Olive/dp/B004ZK4642/ref=zg_bs_16320381_20?_encoding=UTF8&refRID=W7S1AW652R815WH87F27&th=1
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

Season that shit properly and you won’t need oil

retard

Most of the fat or oil you use when cooking should remain in the pan. Don't worry about it.

Is teflon that bad Jow Forums ?

Cooking in anything other than cast iron is for uncultured plebeians. Look up how to use and care for it properly and welcome to the club.

A table spoon of olive oil is 90 Cal, that's nothing really.

Say you slap a meaty chicken thigh on there. Add NO OIL and just render the fat out of the thigh, that happens naturally and it keeps the thigh from sticking.

As long as the meat you are cooking has a bit of fat it won't stick. That's the beautiful part of a cast iron they are inherently non stick if seasoned right.

Clean it every couple of days with kosher salt and a bamboo or hair bristle brush and water.

Use butter or olive oil and stop worrying about 90 calories, if you trained harder it wouldn’t matter

yes. it breaks down and lowers testosterone.

tablespoon is 120cal according to the olive oil sitting in my cabinet

>amazon.com/Filippo-Berio-Extra-Virgin-Olive/dp/B004ZK4642/ref=zg_bs_16320381_20?_encoding=UTF8&refRID=W7S1AW652R815WH87F27&th=1

>train harder

Nigger I lift 3 days a week and run 20 miles a week. I do plenty.

gtfo with your hipster cast iron pans. it's not the middle ages anymore boomer. carbon steel is the true patrician material.

>carbon

Anything that isnt stainless is shit

have you ever used cast iron?

No, I have used stainless steel though and the cleansing was horrible

You season the pan when your not cooking.

you're shit

On cookware? Honestly no, assuming you don't overheat it.

But the process to make it is dangerously toxic and it's in the water now. What you get from industrial run off is far worse and shrinks Peepees. (No seriously)

Here's what it takes to clean my cast iron the day after I fried a chicken breast in it.
I scrape the gunk off with a bbq trowel or spatula or whatever it is called, it comes off quite readily, into the bin.
I rinse it out a little with hot water.
I wipe it out with a rag with the hot water in it.
I dry it with another rag.
I heat it up just to cook off that last bit of moisture.
It's very easy and this isn't even the most efficient way you could do it. Particularly just leaving it overnight isn't that good because the gunk takes slightly more effort after it has cooled.

>you have to use a tbsp of oil so that things don't stick
once you season it properly you don't need to use oil to cook veggies in cast iron

You should be rubbing oil into it after all that.

the food typically doesn't absorb all of the oil, butter, fat etc. A tablespoon of butter is 100 cal, half for you and half for your wife you get 50 cals each. You're over thinking it.

You would for an egg or something.

>cooking eggs in cast iron
you can do it but there are far easier means of doing so

The microwave is the best IMO.

Yeah, usually I'm just about to cook with it again so I don't worry about that. I'd be lying if I don't sometimes leave it dry, though.
It's a cheapie and slightly too small to always be comfortable to use so I don't worry about it much.